“A true Mexican gem!”

Ranked #1 of 80 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“A true Mexican gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Having traveled many places in the world and having stayed in some of the most highly rated resorts and hotels in the world I have to say that my experience here was nothing short of outstanding! The hotel is older and the rooms are on themselves nothing exceptional but very functional with many features we all consider to be comforting when we travel. We stayed in Room 9 on reception level with Carola. Our room had 2 double beds, small refrigerator freezer in room, jacuzzi, 2 lounge chairs, table and chairs and hammock on balcony, more storage space than you needed, iron, ironing board, hair dryer, clothes line in shower, hot water, good water pressure, safe, double sinks in bathroom and the best view in Zihua you could imagine. All of the staff was amazing, with special thanks to Alexander and Carlos in reception. The Restaurant El Bistro bartender Alfonzo was above and beyond exceptions for the whole week opening the pool bar up for us whenever we went to the pool (we were in off season). Now about the steps, they are a bit of exercise but kept me from gaining weight. But they are doable as we were two 60 year old guys here for fishing. The fishing was bad as we had a Hurricane form off the coast and the Port was closed while we were there due to high waves. This is definitely the place to stay in Zihua for the money. If you need anything just ask and they had a great exchange rate for dollars if you needed pesos currently 12 pesos for a dollar. We also had breakfast included in with our $139.00 room rate which was worth $10 US each and fantastic. They give you a little menu to choose from but its basically whatever you want.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Marty J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Novato, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

I found Aura Del Mar through Tripadvisor. I was travelling to Ixtapa to stay at Club Med for a week to celebrate my parent's 50th wedding anniversary- and it was so expensive to fly there- I thought I'd see if I could get some better flights by staying an extra few days. Ok...I also wanted to come to Zihuatanejo and find where Andy Dufresne lived out his remaining days as a free man.

I was interested in Casa Que Canta- but it was just too expensive. At Aura Del Mar, a big suite with room for my two children, aged 14 and 11 with a giant balcony and hot tub overlooking the bay was only US$200/night, including breakfast for two!

The cleaning staff left a pretty floral decoration on the bed every day, and the rooms were really clean and nice.

The staff was always super-helpful and pleasant. The restaurant is one of the better ones on Madera Beach for sure- and the staff there was also fantastic.

They even have a parrot that says "Hello" and "Hola" and while it may seem corny- that was really a highlight- as my family is continuing to say "hello" in Mexican Parrot-ese.

After getting into an altercation with a sea urchin while snorkeling at Playa Las Gatas- one of the restaurant waiters, Alfonso, spent over an hour with a candle and a needle trying to pick the urchin out of my mother's foot. I know that sounds like a weird story if you weren't there- but he was just so genuine and friendly- it really made a lasting impression. I even got a massage for 200 pesos next door with Hilda. You can't beat that!

I only have two nits to pick with the hotel... I think that if they are not going to have filtered water, they should provide more water for your room. Now, they do provide one 32 ounce bottle and a couple of 16 ounce bottles- and there is a refrigerator in the room- but that's just not enough for 4 people to be drinking and brushing their teeth with for one day.

There are quite a few stairs in the hotel. If you have a room with a wonderful view- it's likely quite a haul down to the pool and beach. It was really not a problem for me and my family- but I think that you should be aware of that before you book.

All-in-all, Aura Del Mar is one of the best experiences I've had for a local beachfront hotel in Mexico. The quality to value ratio is super high, the location can't be beat and if you are looking for a great experience- you'll find it here at Aura Del Mar in Zihuatanejo!

Room Tip: The rooms on the higher level seemed nicer- with better views- but I suspect you get what you pay fo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank G3rshik
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

I think I echo other reviewers who were married here...my wedding at Aura del Mar was better than what I had even imagined it could be. I had the benefit of knowing the lay of the land prior to our wedding; we were engaged in Zihua on New Year's Eve 12/31/12 and had our wedding at Aura del Mar in early June, just five months later. We spoke to Janet (the wedding planner at the hotel) right after we were engaged and the rest was history. Janet and I were in regular email and/or phone contact form the day we left to the day we got back for our wedding...and I could not have asked for more. She went above and beyond to make our wedding everything I had ever imagined it to be and more. Seriously. Myself and my fiance (unfortunately) do not speak Spanish; it was never an issue. The only English word Janet doesn't know is "no." Anything I asked she would say "yes, of course." And it wasn't just lip service. Everything was done, and done well. From multicolored wedding bags to special small welcome gifts in our parents' rooms to decorations I shipped there and wanted incorporated into various parts of the ceremony, reception, and group activities over the weekend...it was all done and exceeded my (high) expectations. For many of my family members (including my parents), this was their first international travel. They were all immediately put at ease by the fantastic service and staff at Aura del Mar. I can not thank them enough.

For the wedding...we had a harpist for the ceremony on a beautiful terrace full of lush flowers and vegetation overlooking the ocean, amazing. The mariachi band came as a surprise to our guests and was a highlight of the evening right after the ceremony, leading us to the reception space on the large pool terrace below. When we got to the reception space, I could not believe my eyes. The entire pool deck had been transformed into a chic sitting space for the cocktail hour. The reception decorations that I had been talking over with Janet were even better than I thought they could be. She incorporated her ideas and my ideas into something better than I could have ever put together myself. I literally cried when I saw her at the reception...and she was there making sure everything was perfectly orchestrated throughout most of the night (literally, she left at 10PM...well into drinking and dancing). The food at dinner was plentiful, delicious, and completely reasonable in price. The servers...oh my. I never had an empty wine glass, I never could get to the point of wishing I had anything. It was top notch. The DJ was great, took requests, and brought an English speaking MC with a great personality. After a few tequila shots from our friends, they always ran requests for music by myself or my fiance (smart...one of our friends requested a song by a title that I probably can't even post here...we were getting down but lets be honest, our parents were there).

We had about 30 people, about 1/2 of whom who never have left the US, who had an amazing weekend enjoying the true beauty, cuisine, and culture of a real Mexican town while still experiencing the pampering that many travelers expect when going on a beach vacation. Perfect location, perfect staff, perfect wedding. If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing. My husband and I already are planning on renewing our vows there at 10 years :-)

Thank you, thank you Janet, Miguel, Carlos, Fabian, Jacqueline, Alexander, Francisco...not only for giving me the wedding of my dreams but for giving my family and friends an experience they will never forget. Amazing.

Feel free to contact me via email if you have questions about getting married at Aura del Mar. I added a few photos just to show how beautiful everything was. I personally wouldn't change anything about my wedding for the world.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

This Hotel, the Staff, the Location, everything make Aura Del Mar one of my favorite places to stay ever!! Its such a nice, serene, and unassuming little hotel nestled into the side of the hill overlooking the beautiful ocean that I couldnt imagine what I would change about it!!! ok, one small thing would be that teh tap water wasnt drinkable, but they provide plenty of free bottled water, enough that it was never an issue. Zihuatanejo is a perfect mix of "true" Mexican town and stunning beach get-away and Aura Del Mar captures both flavors in a perfect blend!! With beautiful decor hand-selected by the owner from all over Mexico and enough tropical vegetation and hand-made Mexican tile to fully immerse yourself in the beauty of old Mexico and enough modern amenities (like the fantastic Bistro Del Mar, the safes in every room, and the amazing swimming pool) to make any traveller feel like royalty, Aura Del Mar is on my personal best-of-the-best list without question!! Thank you Jaquelin and Staff!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are unique, some being more like large apartments, but all have amazing ocean views an...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bluecarrot
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon, it was the beginning of low season, first week of May...it was perfect. Clean, quiet, great location, great staff, and I feel like it was a great price for what we had. I read other reviews and others did not like the stairs, we did not mind them, but if you are unable to take stairs maybe look elsewhere. The rooms was great, we had a jacuzzi suite. The bed was comfy, free wifi, updated flat screen tv (if you even turn it on) and the food at the restaurant was great! There is a happy hour everyday but wednesday. We got massages and manicures, they were great too. I really would not have changed anything about the stay. There are other hotels that offer more luxury, but this place was certainly a great experience and a great price. Authentic, fun, and safe. I certainly would stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a jacuzzi suite and stayed one week, it was perfect for us. King size bed, plenty of space to...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

My husband and I had our wedding at Aura del Mar in April and the only way to describe it was absolute perfection! We had never been to Zihua before arriving in town and so it was extremely scary to choose our wedding location solely by what we found online. However, we could not have been happier with our choice and feel lucky to have found this little slice of heaven on earth! We set up transportation with Carlos for all of our guests through the hotel and it was a breeze as we walked out of customs to find our shuttle vans. The hotel itself is charming with beautiful grounds and it's own unique, rustic feel. We were looking for a small hotel with an authentic Mexican feel but that was very clean, well-kept and offered amenities similar to a large resort. Everyone felt Aura del Mar nailed this! We were in room #19 which is quite private and has an amazing view. Our guests were scattered throughout the hotel and it was fun to bump into family and friends on the stairs, in the lobby and at breakfast.

Specific to our wedding, we worked very closely with Janet, the hotel's wedding coordinator, for months. I cannot say enough wonderful things about Janet! She's absolutely outstanding at her job and she is ALWAYS available and answers your emails/phone calls within 24 hours or less and never misses a question or detail. I am ridiculously organized and sent her long emails with lots of questions and she was all over it - I was never worried that something would be missed. In fact, she did everything exactly as I asked and even added a couple additional touches on top of it all! She accommodated me in absolutely everything including going to town to make purchases on my behalf when I was too busy to go myself, driving me and my mom around town to vendor appointments so we didn't have to take a cab, steaming my dress at the last minute and setting me and my bridesmaids up with a gorgeous suite to get ready in on the day of.

The wedding and reception were all we could have hoped for and more! There were about 10 staff members preparing the grounds all day doing everything from trimming plants to sweeping, yes sweeping, the sand. The beauty of the hotel and it's surroundings made for incredible pictures (I've included a couple). The harpist during the ceremony was beautiful, the mariachi band was everyone's favorite, the food was excellent, no one was ever without a drink in their hand all night and the party really got going with the pinatas. I was worried about: noise on the beach - no worries b/c of the sound system; walking on the sand in heels - no problem b/c of the mats laid out; the flowers - the local florist has anything you could want (or will special order it) and everything was fresh; the reception on the pool deck instead of in the restaurant - was better b/c it was private and just ours. We were having so much fun that we added not 1, not 2.5 extra hours of open bar b/c we just didn't want it to end. The staff had been there since the morning but didn't even bat an eye - they kept smiling and pouring drinks until the wee hours of the night.

We've had countless friends and family tell us this was the best wedding they'd ever been to and much of that is due to Hotel Aura del Mar and their amazing staff. So, thank you to Janet, Miguel, Fabian, Alexander, Francisco and Carlos from the bottom of our hearts. You made the week leading up to it and our wedding day so very special. We can't wait to return! - Scott and Brittany

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I don't know how I never connected this with little slice of pure Zihua bliss, but after 6 years of making the trip, I'm glad I found Aura del Mar. The perfect blend of upscale surroundings in a very authentic Mexican theme made me really FEEL that I was in Mexico, not just staying at a typical nice resort that is IN Mexico. There are certainly "fancier" places to stay in the area, and at a higher cost, but then if you're looking for that resort feel near a beach, there is no need to travel to Mexico.

Aura del Mar is nestled in the side of a mountain. The main entrance off the street level is at the top. The beach entrance is at the bottom. Lots of stairs between them, but the walk is enjoyable. The rooms are tucked away off side hallways all the way up to the top level. Mine was at the top, which provided an amazing view across the Zihua bay and out into the ocean (see my perfect sunset photo.) It also allowed me a 1-minute walk from my room to the little food market across the street for access to a quick couple cold beers and wasabi cocahuates.

The staff are exceptionally gracious and helpful- in the spirit of true local residents. The rooms are comfortable, spacious, and mostly- very comfortably authentic, with clay floors, mosaic tile bathroom countertops and an open-air shower. The balcony with hammock and hot tub complete the ambiance, making it a challenge to leave the room for exploring town and the beach.

The location of this hotel was originally why I selected it. It is perfectly situated for easy access to town by way of street and also by way of beach and lighted mountain walkway. And it probably has the best view of any hotel in town, not to mention the sleep benefits of hearing the waves melodically crash on the beach every night.

I've stayed many places in Zihua over the years. Hotel Aura del Mar created an entirely new feeling of really being IN Mexico, with all the comforts and lush surroundings of a high-end resort.

Room Tip: I liked the top level rooms. You can partially see onto the lower balconies, so the top floor offers...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo