“The wedding of my dreams”
Review of Aura del Mar Hotel

Aura del Mar Hotel
Ranked #2 of 78 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Portland, Oregon
“The wedding of my dreams”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My husband and I had our wedding at Aura del Mar in April and the only way to describe it was absolute perfection! We had never been to Zihua before arriving in town and so it was extremely scary to choose our wedding location solely by what we found online. However, we could not have been happier with our choice and feel lucky to have found this little slice of heaven on earth! We set up transportation with Carlos for all of our guests through the hotel and it was a breeze as we walked out of customs to find our shuttle vans. The hotel itself is charming with beautiful grounds and it's own unique, rustic feel. We were looking for a small hotel with an authentic Mexican feel but that was very clean, well-kept and offered amenities similar to a large resort. Everyone felt Aura del Mar nailed this! We were in room #19 which is quite private and has an amazing view. Our guests were scattered throughout the hotel and it was fun to bump into family and friends on the stairs, in the lobby and at breakfast.

Specific to our wedding, we worked very closely with Janet, the hotel's wedding coordinator, for months. I cannot say enough wonderful things about Janet! She's absolutely outstanding at her job and she is ALWAYS available and answers your emails/phone calls within 24 hours or less and never misses a question or detail. I am ridiculously organized and sent her long emails with lots of questions and she was all over it - I was never worried that something would be missed. In fact, she did everything exactly as I asked and even added a couple additional touches on top of it all! She accommodated me in absolutely everything including going to town to make purchases on my behalf when I was too busy to go myself, driving me and my mom around town to vendor appointments so we didn't have to take a cab, steaming my dress at the last minute and setting me and my bridesmaids up with a gorgeous suite to get ready in on the day of.

The wedding and reception were all we could have hoped for and more! There were about 10 staff members preparing the grounds all day doing everything from trimming plants to sweeping, yes sweeping, the sand. The beauty of the hotel and it's surroundings made for incredible pictures (I've included a couple). The harpist during the ceremony was beautiful, the mariachi band was everyone's favorite, the food was excellent, no one was ever without a drink in their hand all night and the party really got going with the pinatas. I was worried about: noise on the beach - no worries b/c of the sound system; walking on the sand in heels - no problem b/c of the mats laid out; the flowers - the local florist has anything you could want (or will special order it) and everything was fresh; the reception on the pool deck instead of in the restaurant - was better b/c it was private and just ours. We were having so much fun that we added not 1, not 2.5 extra hours of open bar b/c we just didn't want it to end. The staff had been there since the morning but didn't even bat an eye - they kept smiling and pouring drinks until the wee hours of the night.

We've had countless friends and family tell us this was the best wedding they'd ever been to and much of that is due to Hotel Aura del Mar and their amazing staff. So, thank you to Janet, Miguel, Fabian, Alexander, Francisco and Carlos from the bottom of our hearts. You made the week leading up to it and our wedding day so very special. We can't wait to return! - Scott and Brittany

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I don't know how I never connected this with little slice of pure Zihua bliss, but after 6 years of making the trip, I'm glad I found Aura del Mar. The perfect blend of upscale surroundings in a very authentic Mexican theme made me really FEEL that I was in Mexico, not just staying at a typical nice resort that is IN Mexico. There are certainly "fancier" places to stay in the area, and at a higher cost, but then if you're looking for that resort feel near a beach, there is no need to travel to Mexico.

Aura del Mar is nestled in the side of a mountain. The main entrance off the street level is at the top. The beach entrance is at the bottom. Lots of stairs between them, but the walk is enjoyable. The rooms are tucked away off side hallways all the way up to the top level. Mine was at the top, which provided an amazing view across the Zihua bay and out into the ocean (see my perfect sunset photo.) It also allowed me a 1-minute walk from my room to the little food market across the street for access to a quick couple cold beers and wasabi cocahuates.

The staff are exceptionally gracious and helpful- in the spirit of true local residents. The rooms are comfortable, spacious, and mostly- very comfortably authentic, with clay floors, mosaic tile bathroom countertops and an open-air shower. The balcony with hammock and hot tub complete the ambiance, making it a challenge to leave the room for exploring town and the beach.

The location of this hotel was originally why I selected it. It is perfectly situated for easy access to town by way of street and also by way of beach and lighted mountain walkway. And it probably has the best view of any hotel in town, not to mention the sleep benefits of hearing the waves melodically crash on the beach every night.

I've stayed many places in Zihua over the years. Hotel Aura del Mar created an entirely new feeling of really being IN Mexico, with all the comforts and lush surroundings of a high-end resort.

Room Tip: I liked the top level rooms. You can partially see onto the lower balconies, so the top floor offers...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Bill M
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 5, 2013

My first time in Zihuatanejo and I loved this hotel. The staff were really friendly, the food was good, amazing views of the bay below, and they have a waterslide! Chips and guacamole and a margarita served beachside cannot be beat. Not to make this review all about food, but the breakfast that comes with your stay is delicious and enormous.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Teryll H
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 26, 2013

My girlfriend and I attended a friend's wedding at this hotel. It was the prettiest wedding ever. The hotel staff was extremely friendly and helpful, breakfast was included, the rooms were comfy (along with your own balcony hot tub and hammock with ocean views), and the hotel is beachfront.

Sleeping with the huge sliding glass window open to the sounds of the surf and awakening to a tropical view....amazing.

Massages (over an hour was about 15-20 bucks USD) on the beach....heaven.

Plenty of beach umbrellas and chairs with food/drink service delivered to you when you need it...never-ending.

Fantastic experience here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We just had the pleasure of spending a week at Aura Del Mar for our daughters wedding and all I can say is it was beautiful. We would go back in a heartbeat! We couldn't have asked for better service throughout the week, the staff is amazing. They did so much to make the wedding absolutely beautiful and all our daughter could have wanted - words can't even begin to describe it. Janet (the wedding planner) was so very helpful in all ways, again, we couldn't have asked for anything better, we so appreciated all she did. Thank you Janet!!

The rooms were beautiful, the setting beautiful, the food great, service amazing, pool wonderful, beach awesome - we recommend it to anyone who is wanting to spend a wonderful week in Zihuatanejo!

Anita

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, WA
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying a week at Aura del Mar in April of 2013. I can’t think of enough complimentary or positive things to say about this wonderful and beautiful hotel. We were perfectly comfortable in our room—the bed was incredibly comfy and decorated daily with beautiful, fresh flowers. Our balcony had a Jacuzzi, comfy chaises, a hammock and let’s not forget the killer view. The hotel has every amenity you will need during your stay, and I’ve never dealt with a better, more hard-working staff. Everybody was so accommodating and kind. I’m not sure if I loved sitting under the palapas watching the ocean or luxuriating in the swimming pool better—both were a slice of heaven. The restaurant and its staff were the best and the service was impeccable. They were very patient with us and our poor Spanish—we promise to take Spanish lessons before our next visit!—and helped us navigate the cuisine. The open, airy restaurant is a delight to spend time in, which includes good music and candlelight at dinner. The town of Zihuatanejo is charming and full of characters and we felt very comfortable and welcomed there. Just a great overall experience. Can’t wait to visit again. Gracias Aura del Mar por unas vacaciones maravillosas. Kirk and Nancy Hawkins, Vancouver, Washington

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kirk and Nancy H
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Let me start by saying that we hail from Las Vegas and we decided to get married in Zihua.

After doing extensive research, we chose Hotel Aura Del Mar and let me tell you, we were so happy we made this selection.

First, the front of the house staff of Janet, Fabian, Alexander and Francisco (and one more girl - I dont remember her name! Sorry) were fantastic and ready to answer any question or assist you in any way.

Janet was also our wedding coordinator and did a FANTASTIC job. She took care of everything. On a side note everything with the wedding went smoothly and perfectly. Janet was very professional and made sure everything was just right. The restaurant hosted the cocktail reception (with Mariachi) and the dinner/reception afterwards. We had a perfect sunset and the guests were all thrilled with the service and the quality of the cuisine. More than one person remarked that the lobster was the best they had ever had! That made us feel even more secure with the decision we made.

Every room (not a lie) had a gorgeous view of the ocean. EVERY SINGLE ROOM. You can't beat that.

The only negative about the hotel are the stairs. There are alot of them and no elevators. This is not the place for grandma and grandpa. But it is absolutely perfect for a young family, a couple or a wedding with primarily young people.

The pool is clean, large and has a faster-than-expected water slide. The kids will love it (Hell, I loved it - LOL).

As other posters stated, it is perfectly located in Zihua. It is a 10-15 minute walk aloing the beach and sidewalk to downtown.

All in all, I definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with 10-12 people, get the Villa Don Agustin. If its you and another couple...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family