“Incredible hotel”

Ranked #1 of 80 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Calgary
“Incredible hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Wow. We have traveled to Mexico several times and stayed at condo rentals, all-inclusive resorts, and hotels. The Aura del Mar Hotel is by far our favorite place to stay in Mexico. We've been telling everyone about our vacation.
First, the location. You can't beat it. It's right at the beach and every room has a fabulous view of the bay with all the fishing boats going by. Second, the hotel is very clean. The staff work very hard to make sure the room is clean and tidy each day. The cleanest place we've stayed at in Mexico. Third, the awesome restaurant. the food is fantastic (especially the afternoon pizza) and the servers are very attentive. Fourth, you can just walk along the beach to the town center for shopping, eating or just exploring Mexico. We could go on and on about this great hotel. Oh, almost forgot, the pool is fabulous as well and never over-crowded.

The only problem is that if someone has limited mobility, the stairs may be an issue. We didn't have a problem at all and we are not young and in-shape. There were people there with kids and there were much older people, etc but nobody seemed to have any problem with the stairs.

Room Tip: all the rooms have great ocean views. the hotel offers a variety of sizes of rooms
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RDMCalgary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

We just returned to Zihuatanejo for the fifth time, once again staying at the delightful Aura Del Mar (for many years called Brisas Del Mar, name change courtesy of a lawsuit by the Brisas hotel chain). Aura Del Mar is definitely NOT a chain hotel; it is a unique, lovely old building, covered in greenery, with a variety of comfortable rooms and suites, all with private terraces facing beautiful Zihuatanejo Bay. The rooms and hallways are full of charming folk art, the beds are large and comfortable, and the staff are uniformly friendly, helpful, and charming, from the maids to the manager. The location is ideal: on lively and unpretentious Madera Beach, a block from Adelita Street with its interesting collection of restaurants, and a short walk into the small, lively town center.

Zihuatanejo is next to Ixtapa, a government-planned tourist resort, which is large and full of high-rise hotels, chain restaurants, and noisy bars, but the geography is such that Ixtapa cannot even be seen from the hotel (a great advantage, let me assure you).

There are many things to do within walking distance, and there is a concierge to help with more ambitious excursions, but we rarely feel the need to do more than lounge about in our room, at the lovely pool, or under the hotel's private palapas on the beach. If we feel more lively, the ocean is perfect for splashing in the waves, and there is a water slide in the pool!

Blissful relaxation amid beauty and charm, at reasonable prices. Of course we'll be back again!

Thank you so much again to Janet, Miguel, Fabian, Francisco, Jacqueline, Alexander, Apollonia, Cecelia-- and Martin, who is a waiter extraordinaire at the hotel's beachside restaurant. Hotel Aura Del Mar is the greatest!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank drsteveallen
arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

I travel four times a year to Mexico so we see a lot of resorts and so these days I only review the ones that are really exceptional or really terrible. Aura is a really nice tiny boutique style resort.

I would say it is about four star by States standards. The rooms are nice, the beds really comfortable and the food is pretty decent.

This place is really tiny. You have to walk next door to see any shows at night but other than that I have no complaints about this place. The beach is beautiful. The pool is tiny but clean. The service here is really first rate. The staff is friendly and I encourage you to tip. These are hard working people who really care about your experience.

The pool side snack bar is really good and the service is quick. The drinks were adequate with some bar tenders better than others as always.

If you want a really quiet romantic getaway this is a great little hide away.

Room Tip: This is a small place all of the rooms are nice and most have ocean view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Montgomery, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

We have stayed at Aura de Mar three separate times and enjoy it more each time. I have hesitated to submit a review only because I thought if I said too much, I would have a difficult time getting a spot. Oh well, I have to share. The staff is by far, the most enjoyable factor in th stay at Aura (formerly Brisas). They are friendly, and work hard to make sure their guests are satisfied. The entire property is immaculate and well kept with a wonderful pool and beach area. We have met many returning guests who, as us, enjoy the hotel very much. The restaurant is also the best in town! We've been home just a few days and I miss Zihua and Aura very much. Thanks to Janet, Miguel, Carlos and Alexander for a wonderful trip!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

First I have to admit that this is a charming hotel with amazing views. Rooms were clean, interesting and had great terraces overlooking the bay. I booked through Different World.com and after returning home went back and read their reviews and right there in black and white was warning about the stairs. This needs to be in capitals because this hotel is not for the old, handicapped, parents with toddlers, heavy smokers or someone like me with a relatively new hip. I grew to loathe and dread the stairs. If you book on-line and there is mention of complimentary breakfast be sure to get that offer in writing.

I took the very last room in the hotel but put in a request for a smaller room if one became available. The next day a wedding party checked out and the hotel was practically empty. When I wasn't moved I assumed that it was more trouble to move me than just leave me where I was and adjust my room rate to single. Not so.

At checkout my credit card timed out and was declined, my back up credit card met the same fate. I was taken into the back office where we tried on a different machine with what I thought was success.On arrival home and with a quick check of my bank statement I discovered that each credit card had the full charge for the room applied. A quick email to the hotel where they suggested it was me or my banks fault. A call to Visa where they assured me that I had been charged twice but that it would still take 60-90 days for dispute resolution.
Different World 1 for 2
Aura Del Mar 0 for 1

I stayed at 3 different hotels during those 2 weeks and Aura was the only one that left me with hard feelings.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank GeneJackson
West Palm Beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

I fell in love the minute I walked in the door. The view is magnificant, the service excellent and the location could not be better. The room is sparse but very comfortable and VERY clean. We spent most of our time on the balcony anyway. We loved that we could take a short walk to the downtown area and to the marina for fishing. My first time in Zihuatenejo. A wonderful destination and I would not even consider staying elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Spend the little extra and stay in a suite with a balcony. Very private and the view is amazing!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Aura del mar feels like you want Mexico to feel. It is warm, friendly, the service is fantastic, bust most importantly, it feels authentic, it is lovely without being polished into sterility and the hotel has a sense of lush permanence that makes you fell as though it had always been there.

• Stayed February 2013