“An absolutely stunning place to be!”
Review of La Quinta Troppo

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Zihuatanejo
La Quinta Troppo
Ranked #37 of 79 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Mexico City, Mexico
“An absolutely stunning place to be!”
Reviewed February 24, 2012

We spent our honeymoon (1 week) in “La Quinta Troppo”.
The arrangement, the staff and the wonderful atmosphere made it very hard to even leave the hotel.
It is only a 5 minutes’ walk to the beach (where to find various restaurants) but the hotel is situated so well that you can overview the whole bay while staying away from the crowded tourists-areas right at the beach.

Rooms are elegant and very comfortable. We had “Los Tucanes” with the most stunning view over the bay but I´m sure that every one of the 9 rooms offers you the “first-row-sunset-guarantee”.
One should be aware of the fact, that tropical bathrooms do not necessarily offer much privacy but when you relate it to the tropical area you know that before and do not consider it to be a disadvantage.

Staff at “La Quinta Troppo” was friendly and attentive- without ever being intrusive! Since this is very rare in Mexico we even felt more comfortable with that perfect mixture.
The host himself -Lee Kraft- is an amiable, warm man whom it was always pleasant to chat with. Besides: He is the one who gets buns and bread for his guest´s breakfast every morning.

Lee has also been the one who organized the contact for a diving trip we enjoyed very much.
Although we were told that our departure for diving would be too early to get proper breakfast (no buns/ bread yet at 6am) we were surprised by employees who brought breakfast to our room (!) which contained toast, marmalade and fresh coffee along with juice. What more could you ask for?!

All our stay was full of small surprises such as insence in the evening or flowery messages on the bed. Every morning you´ll find coffee presented right in front of your door. They don´t knock so you can sleep without being disturbed and have morning coffee whilst having the view over the bay even before actually having breakfast.

Since we live in Mexico City we can perfectly judge about what it feels to feel insecure at certain places. ..
We have never had a feeling of insecurity but –on the contrary- felt calm and relaxed even when walking the street from beach to hotel at night.

We regret not having stayed longer at this wonderful hotel which gave us the most stunning and relaxing honeymoon week. Ever since we try to copy those great Margaritas we drank there…it didn´t work out.

We will definitely return, I can´t wait to hear the sound of the ocean at night again…

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tlacuatche
QuintaTroppo, Owner at La Quinta Troppo, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
We are so happy you chose La Quinta Troppo for your honey moon. Please come back for the first anniversary.... or earlier!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
USA
Reviewed February 17, 2012

Every aspect of this small, intimate hotel close to the lovely La Ropa beach is just perfect...the cordial, always available staff; the extra pillows, towels and hangers in the large bedroom/bath suite; the coffee by the door each morning; the design of the hotel with interesting scupture and stonework everywhere; the breakfast on the terrace. The pool is a wonderful, adult place to relax during the day (no young children as guests). Anyone looking for a bit of pampering and a personalized guest experience should consider La Quinta Troppo. It would be possible to spend a very enjoyable few days here without venturing beyond the hotel itself. Or the location makes a great home base for exploring Zihua and environs. I have stayed in a number of hotels large and small in the area, La Quinta Troppo is one of the very best in terms of service, style and the attention to details.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank adventurousUsa
Thank you! Enjoy the spring and keep in touch. We have good things coming up for our friends.
Oakland, California
Reviewed February 12, 2012

This was our second stay at La Quinta Troppo and it will not be our last. This little boutique hotel is one of the best on La Ropa Beach. Everything is done right in this place, from the greeting by Erica, the most wonderful white sheeted bed under the best mosquito netting, the incredible breakfast on the terrace served by Freddy, to the best lap pool and fountain, but I always come back to the view...what can I say...

Room Tip: The La Ropa room is prefect with it's views of bay.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words. All the best from your friends at La Quinta Troppo, Zihuatanejo!
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed February 8, 2012

My dear friend and I just returned for our 2nd visit to La Quinta Troppo and Zihua. I've been to Mexico over 10 times in the last 15 years, and there is NO PLACE better than this intimate, little boutique hotel. Erika, Freddy, Mary, and all the local staff are so warm and accommodating. The pleasure of this location is its warm, quaint, peaceful energy. We stayed in Neptuno, which has an amazing balcony overlooking the infinity pool, La Ropa beach, and provides a breath taking view. Troppo has a a kitchen, and Mary prepares the best shrimp tacos with mango salsa you could ever imagine. Try the chilaquilles (sp?) for breakfast! Each day was lazy simplicity lounging by the pool with a hand shaken margarita with fresh lime, homemade guacamole, pico de gallo and fresh chips. Lee, the new owner, has added a few simple touches, but all of which maintain the unique, private character of this gem. We greatly enjoyed dinner with Mr. Lee at one of our favorite spots Puesta Del Sol, on hill of La Ropa headed down into town. We've just returned home, but are already longing for our next visit!

Room Tip: Neptuno and India are 2 of the rooms that have air conditioning
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
How are things up north? All my best for a great spring, summer and come back soon!
Seattle
Reviewed January 22, 2012

My friend and I have made the trek to LaQuintaTroppo about ten times. We always feel like we're home when we pull up to the front door. Last year we were unable to go, and admit we went with some trepidation this year because of a change in ownership. However, we were met, once again, by our dear Erika, and we immediately relaxed. We found everything at La Quinta Troppo to be exceptional, as always, with the new owner, Lee, being personable, warm and welcoming.

We feel so spoiled at LaQuinta Troppo. We can have drinks or snacks any time of the day or evening. The staff treats us like very special guests. The breakfasts, guacamole, shrimp taco's and even vegetarian meals are exceptional. Some days we never leave, but lay at the pool and enjoy the quiet. Most days we go to the beach which is a short walk, and/or into town to shop or watch the activity. Zihuatenejo is primarily a fishing town with authentic net mending and boat repair on the beach. Restaurants have improved and increased in number since we started going there.

All the reviews on this site are absolutely true. All I can say is, "right on!"

Room Tip: If I tell you, you'll take our room!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank LynnBehar
QuintaTroppo, Owner at La Quinta Troppo, responded to this review, January 28, 2012
Thank you so much for your review and support. It was good to have you with us and we wish you all the best and of course, that you may return pronto. Saludos from Erika, myself and the staff. Lee
austin, texas
Reviewed January 20, 2012

My wife and I recently completed our seventh trip to Zihuatanejo and seventh stay at La Quinta Troppo. As soon as the hotel manager, Erika, greeted us warmly at the front door, it felt like being home. In each of our many trips, the hotel staff has been unfailingly accommodating and warm. The new principal at the hotel, Lee Kraft, seems to have fit in seemlessly, offering the same hospitality and friendliness that has always been present. The rooms are very nicely appointed and comfortable, though a bit rustic if you're used to super luxury hotels. With only eight rooms, the pool is never crowded, and the water cascading from burbling fountains into the pool seems to ease even the most tightly wound professional's nerves. While the complimentary fruit, bread, and coffee for breakfast are good, don't miss an opportunity to order off the menu as you soak in the morning view of the bay from the elevated patio. The breakfast dishes are outstanding, whether you like huevos con chorizo or chilaquiles. The lunch served poolside is also teriffic, and it appears that Lee has added some new twists to the menu since he's taken the reins. As always, the view of the bay is awe inspiring and the short, four minute walk to the beach should be no deterrent to those who prefer to stay right on the beach. My wife and I could stay anywhere in Zihuatanejo, but we keep coming back to La Quinta Troppo because of its ability to always feel like a special place.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jarnold
Thank you kindly. I pray for the eights heaven. Be well! Lee
Vernon, Canada
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I just spend 6 days before Christmas at La Quinta Troppo, and I cannot say enough great things about it. What a place to relax and truly unwind. The people who work there are amazing and made me feel welcome in so many ways. I could have stayed forever!
This hillside boutique hotel, with just 8 or 9 rooms is just a 4 minute walk to La Ropa beach. There are many restaurants to choose from, (I ate alot at Paty's ..2 margs and fish tacos for around 10$ at happy hour which runs till 7)
There are the most amazing views of the bay from the open air rooms (I stayed in La Ropa room, which is beautiful)...the room was spacious and well layed out. The coffee tray left outside the room at 8 am every morning is a lovely way to start the day...looking out at the view, listening to the wild birds..heaven.
This was followed by breakfast on the quaint terrace...fresh fruit (the most incredible papaya!), french press coffee, pastries,and if one desires, I highly recommend the Huevos Rancheros if you like a bit of spice in the morning!

The service, and the thoughtfulness of the staff and the owner, Lee was absolutely outstanding. I did not have to think of one thing, as all my wishes were anticipated and fulfilled, often beyond my expectations. A truly amazing combination of exquisite accommodations and lovely people who truly love their work.

Poolside is very relaxing, a great way to end the day at the beach. The sound of the waterfall while sipping an excellent margarita is a treat, and the pool is the perfect temperature (and no Chlorine smell!) for a dip before heading up to the room to relax before dinner. I truly had a struggle some days as to whether to leave my room, go to the pool or to the beach..(usually one can't wait to get out of the room, but in this case it was so nice that I really had to push myself out the door!)

While I realize that there has been some concerns over safety in Mexico, I must add that I was travelling solo, and not once did I feel worried about it Often I would walk down to the beach for dinner and "home" again, and never felt once that there was any danger. There were a lot of Canadians vacationing there, and many own homes in Zihua.

I cannot wait to go back, (I do visit it in my mind at least 3 times a day)! I highly recommend this as a great destination for weddings, a romantic getaway, or in my case, a wonderful place to have some time to yourself, ...you will not regret one minute of it.

So thanks to everyone at La Quinta Troppo for making this an unforgettable vacation, and an unexpected fantastic find. I could not have asked for a more perfect place to go and feel so at home, relax and unwind. Amazing.
Adios, until we meet again.
Jacqueline

Room Tip: I stayed in La Ropa, and as you can see by the travellers photos, it is perfect. I did not see any...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank skygirl2011
QuintaTroppo, Owner at La Quinta Troppo, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Very kind and much appreciated. You promised to come back soon, so don't get caught up in the routine of city live, make the wise decision and visit us. In any case, we look forward to your return.
Lee