“Hidden gem for breakfast/lunch”
Review of Carmelitas Cafe

Carmelitas Cafe
Ranked #1 of 338 Restaurants in Zihuatanejo
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood, Healthy
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a family business for over 20 years we were located within the Airport Zihuatanejo, the business was called "Snack Bar - El Mirador"; but in 2008 we decided to leave the anonymity and moved to town with a new "Carmelite Cafe" concept. The mission of Carmen and Don Jesus was always clear, offer our customers the best dining experience in Zihuatanejo. During these years we have been aware of the importance of treating our guests like family. We pride ourselves everyday to trust Cafe Carmelites to treat at home; therefore, we insist that the recipes of Mrs. Carmelita, always keep the flavor of the Mexican family kitchen. We will always have an eye to providing the best quality in each of our dishes; leaving aside, a friendly smile and a humble to serve our customers heart. We cook for you like for our own home, without shortcuts, no frills, with love.
Reviewed January 16, 2013

A little difficult to find (take a taxi if necessary) but well worth it. Hidden in a garden off a busy main street this Mexican style restaurant is clean, with excellent service and a nice selection of Mexican favorites and daily specials.

1  Thank Shelley D

Reviewed January 15, 2013

We were a group of 20 people - kids and adults. They accommodated us very well. The food is authentic, delicious, and fresh. The service was excellent. Everything from the coffee to the chilaquiles to the pan dulce, to the quesadillas con flor de calabaza (zucchini blossoms) and much more, was superb. Afterwards, you can walk a few blocks to the market for souvenirs at the best prices. Don't miss it!

2  Thank monkeytony18
Reviewed January 11, 2013

based on reviews we read, we are normally skeptical travelers. But Carmelitas got so many good reviews we had to try it. The reviews are true, you cannot miss this place, we`ve been here for a week, tried Coconuts, Aguava, Las Brisas, Daniels, and others. Had one breakfast at Carmelita`s, and it blew all the others away. TRUST THIS REVIEW - go there

1  Thank Craig31350
Reviewed January 6, 2013

What fun! When they bring you your tortillas, they have cooked them to order. They smell of corn. Yum! Pork Ribs are spectacular. Carmelita tells us her food is what you would find in households around Zihua. Not gourmet. Home cooking. I believe her. Her son Paquo told me the recipe for the ribs came from his grandmother. They fell off the bone into the spicy red sauce. Scoop up salsa, beans, and pork with the homemade tortillas. Carmen, the daughter, home for the holidays from Guadalajara entertained us with stories of the visits of chefs Bayless, Samuelson, and Simon. Can't wait to go back.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

We’d read the wonderful reviews on Carmelita’s Restaurant. This winter, we finally made our way to Carmelita’s for lunch - taking with us great expectations. Nice ambiance and clean, but located on an extremely busy street with a relentless roar of traffic. At 2 p.m. it was not very busy. We both ordered a bottle of water. They showed up with no glasses, ice or straws, nor offer of any. From the menu my wife ordered the mushroom quesadillas at 60 pesos. This being Pozole Thursday, my favorite, I went for it at 70 pesos.
My wife’s order arrived well in advance of mine. On the plate were three not-large quesadillas, a tablespoon of pico de gallo and a tiny leaf of lettuce. Some time later, Carmelita came to the table inquiring in Spanish how everything was. I pointed out that my wife was halfway through her meal and I was still waiting for mine. She rushed off and a few minutes later a bowl of pozole arrived. Nothing else. We were surprised there were no condiments with it. The pozole contained a glob of fat the size of a golf ball amongst the pork, which I fished out along with other bits of floating fat. A while later the waitress brought the condiments- the usual array of tacos, chicarones, avocado, etc. and some dry, spongy radish that had obviously been sliced some time ago. A while later the plate of chopped onions and jalapenos arrived. I had given up hope.
I should mention here that we are in Zihua all winter, have eaten at 18 restaurants to date (19 now) and kept accurate records/critiques. I am a pozole fan. My wife is the quesadilla expert, believe me. Carmelita’s hand made tortillas were acceptable, the quesadillas thin, ordinary and dull on a colorless plate. You can get equal or better at half the price almost anywhere. Try the mushroom quesadillas at El Arrayan on Adelita at La Madera. Magnificent! Order two at 20 pesos each! And your bottle of water will come with a glass and ice.
The pozole at Carmelita’s : as flavorful as any you’ll find, but not worth the inflated price. Try the pozole at Dona Licha, where you’re offered a choice of pork or chicken, red or white, with marinated vegetables and several salsas delivered to the table, at 48 pesos. There are enough condiments on the huge platter to feed two people, and it all arrives at the same time. Carmelita’s restaurant has a nice appeal (besides the heavy traffic noise from the main street) but is certainly not worthy of anywhere near the #1 title. If the locals are eating here, the locals have to get out more.

3  Thank Michael S