“Delicious breakfast!”

Ranked #2 of 326 Restaurants in Zihuatanejo
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood, Healthy
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a family business for over 20 years we were located within the Airport Zihuatanejo, the business was called "Snack Bar - El Mirador"; but in 2008 we decided to leave the anonymity and moved to town with a new "Carmelite Cafe" concept. The mission of Carmen and Don Jesus was always clear, offer our customers the best dining experience in Zihuatanejo. During these years we have been aware of the importance of treating our guests like family. We pride ourselves everyday to trust Cafe Carmelites to treat at home; therefore, we insist that the recipes of Mrs. Carmelita, always keep the flavor of the Mexican family kitchen. We will always have an eye to providing the best quality in each of our dishes; leaving aside, a friendly smile and a humble to serve our customers heart. We cook for you like for our own home, without shortcuts, no frills, with love.
Seattle, Washington
“Delicious breakfast!”
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

The chilaquiles are amazing and the postres are delicious. I had some delicious eggs with shredded beef (I don't remember what it was called) that was out of this world. The staff was friendly and inviting even though our Spanish is pretty terrible. We will absolutely go again!

Tempe
“She is Amazing!”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Take the time and stop here. You will be Amazed at the diversity and freshness of the food. We have sampled nearly everything and it was all great. Hands down the the Best food we have had in Ixtapa Zihuatanejo.

• Visited October 2012
Los Angeles, California
“As Brilliant as everybody says!”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Had to try it based on TA reviews and Rick Bayless. Exceeded my already inflated perceptions. I went to order for four of us and take it back to the beach. Met Jesus (Carmelita's husband and the man who goes to the farmer's markets daily for the freshest ingredients) and Maria (the lead server) and they explained what they were featuring special that day. They let me try samples of things to make sure it was to my liking. The best Mole ever! Squash Blossom quesadillas that were crispy and delicious, and then, I tried the tongue! I do not like tongue, but at Carmelita's I was willing to try everything...and it was brilliant! I ordered 6 different dishes (only $38), sat and drank a beer and talked more to Jesus and brought back the amazing meal to my friends on the beach. It was so good, I returned the next day to do the same things. When I walked in, I was greeted with a hug by Carmelita herself who had heard about me from Jesus. She and Jesus invited me to sit with them and their friends who were enjoying lunch. I ordered 6 entirely new dishes, putting my trust in Carmelita. A couple of beers, some great conversation and more amazing food. Unfortunately, we were returning home the next day so I wouldn't be able to repeat my hanging out with Carmelita and Jesus, until Carmelita said that she could pack us special sandwiches for our flight home. We of course took her up on the offer and lamented there wasn't a way to move her restaurant closer to our homes in Los Angeles. Carmelita's is worth the bit of an adventure to find, because they are incredibly warm and inviting and the food is about the best I have ever had!

• Visited September 2012
Portland Oregon
“Fresh fabulous food with friendly service”
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Carmelita is very friendly. The food is fresh and delicious. Very welcoming. Make sure you have the address before you go. Some of the locals did not know where it was to give us directions when we were walking downtown

Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Wonderful, authentic food”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I never wrote a review from my multiple visits last January and I felt compelled to do so now. We have just made reservations for a couple weeks of relaxation this fall in Zihua, and my taste buds began to get excited with the thoughts of returning to Carmelitas. We searched out Carmelitas after reading how much Rick Bayless enjoyed it. The food is incredibly fresh and flavorful. My favorite dish by far was the Puerto de carne(sp). The pork was super tender and the sauce was mildly spicy and delicious. The entree was so good I thought of picking up my plate and licking it clean. My wife had the chicken enchiladas which were great as well. The beer was ice cold, the service friendly, and my wife really enjoyed the freshly made pineapple water. We are anxious to try out the numerous breakfast entrees on our upcoming trip.

• Visited January 2012