“great fun day”
Review of Zihuatanejo Cooking School - CLOSED

Zihuatanejo Cooking School
More attraction details
Owner description: The Zihuatanejo Cooking School at Villa Casa Luna offers group and private classes in authentic Mexican cooking. Chef Santiago Camacho and host Patsy Cummings invite you to learn the art of Mexican cookery in an elegant private residence just steps from La Ropa beach.
Reviewed January 19, 2012

this is my second time at Zihuatanejo Cooking School! A great day in Patsy's lovely home. Santiago is charming and the food was great! If you love Mexican cuisine this is a must. Eating at the huge dining table while listening to Patsy's stories was the perfect ending.

1  Thank SandiHengel

Reviewed December 6, 2011

My wife got wind of this cooking class from a friend of hers whod raved about it on a previous vacation to Ixtapa. It was a 25 min cab ride from our hotel, Club Med but def worth it and our first time in Zihuatanejo. The owner of the lovley villa is also a chef and with her local assistant they teach to prepare some delish local standards such as black bean soup, squash blossum quesadiyas and stuffed chilies. Make sure you ask Patsy for some stories about the town, a New Yorker originally shes been down there since the 70's and knows all there is to about the area. Over all the experience was one of the best of our vacation its only a shame that we didnt discover this beautifull town a little earlier in our stay.

1  Thank sebastian s
Reviewed September 27, 2011

We had a wonderful afternoon at the Zihuatanejo Cooking School. My three friends and I booked the Monday class for Chiles Rellenos. We did four courses; soup, salad, appetizer, and the best chile rellenos we've ever had. They supplied us with knives and cutting boards with Chef Santiago and Patsy at our sides who brought us through every step of preparing the best Mexican food we've ever had.....we feel like pros.

2  Thank Isabel F
Reviewed September 25, 2011

My husband and I had a wonderful experience at the Cooking School....we did a three course meal with Chef Santiago. Some of us participated, some of us watched. The recipes were easy to prepare. Patsy (the owner), sent us the recipes by email and now we're enjoying them at home...we are so glad we had that experience. We're booking this coming season because we're excited to do the seafood menu....the huge Mexican tile kitchen is to die for, so bring your camera!!!

1  Thank pam b
Reviewed July 31, 2011

A fantastic meal in a beautiful setting, but I was let down. Spanish speaking (only) Chef Santiago is apparently very well known and seems to know what he is doing. I enjoyed watching as the substitute hostess (Patsy, the usual hostess was out of town) provided some degree of commentary, but it was her own and not the chef's. "Instruction" was pretty much limited to translated answers to translated questions so I would not call it a school - more of a demonstration with some degree of particpation. I did get to chop an onion, but I already knew how to chop onions. Maybe if we spoke spanish the Chef would have done more teaching - but that should have been indicated before we signed up. The casa in which this "class" was held was someone's beautiful private residence, a sort of open air palapa-style place similar to what you'd see at any of the fancy casa-style hotels in the hills above Zihua just by walking into the lobby. The food was indeed very good, but we stood around in a very hot kitchen (no AC, biting no-see-ums providing additional distraction) and watched Chef Santiago prepare each of three courses, retiring three separate times to an eating area to enjoy the food. We had black bean soup, quesedillas, and finally, chile rellenos - all excellent. But that menu leads to my my biggest complaint, the cost. At $50 per person, in this town that should by a multiple course seafood meal with drinks while enjoying a breezy view of the Zihua Bay, or a true learning experience where we each would have been able to create our own dish. We were disappointed, and would not recommend it.

7  Thank abinaz