“Escape to Casa Cuitlateca”
Review of Casa Cuitlateca

Casa Cuitlateca
Ranked #24 of 80 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
NYC
“Escape to Casa Cuitlateca”
Reviewed January 10, 2009

Words alone cannot do this hotel justice. Aside from being stunningly beautiful, aside from the most excellent service, aside from the views, there is the comfort, a feeling of home.

The owners and staff welcome you warmly and provide nothing but the best in service.

The rooms are well appointed, extremely comfortable, and each is decorated with the style of different areas of Mexico. I stayed in both the large, grand Guerrero room and the smaller but no less comfortable Chiapas room.

I was made to feel at home every day of my trip. On one day when I didn't feel well, the owner let the staff know, and I was treated like you would treat a sick family member. I was coddled. When I finally felt like I could eat, one of the staff went into town to pick up a pizza for me (comfort food).

The day I left I was driven to the airport only to find out my flights had been canceled and I was stranded (in paradise) for another day. I called the hotel and they came back out and brought me back to stay another night.

I cannot wait to go back.

If you want to experience the best go to Casa Cuitlateca, you will never forget it.

• Liked — The staff, without question.
  • Disliked — If you're walking, it's a long climb up the stairs. Take a taxi back to the hotel when possible.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
10 Thank ChazFrench

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Milwaukee
Reviewed September 2, 2008

This hotel by far is one of the best places to stay in Zihuatanejo. I have stayed at many different luxury places throughout Mexico and the service my wife and I received was unimaginable.

Alfredo and the rest of the 5 employees made our honeymoon a truly memorable and enjoyable stay. We stayed for 8 days and each morning the rooms were cleaned while we ate breakfast, and anything we needed was done for us. They even did my laundry before we left for a few dollars. The true gem of this 5 room hotel is the service. Alfredo, the bell hop, waiter, bartender, and hotel services provider was the reason the stay was first class. Even though he spoke little english, there was hardly a time when conversations between us came to a standstill.

Even between his shifts he took us out for an afternoon touring the countryside taking us to a local coconut farm, 3 different towns, 2 off the beaten path beaches, and a local restaurant on the beach to finish up the day where he use to come when he was a young-man.

We definitely recommend staying her if you want a quieter more relaxing rural feel, while still having a beautiful place to stay with breathtaking views and 1st class service

Thanks Again

Kris Arneson

• Liked — The views, and definitely the service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kdarneson
San Francisco
Reviewed August 17, 2008

If money were no object and I decided to pick the most spectacular setting in the world to build an intimate, exquisite facility that could meet my every need for a get-away from a hectic life, it would look just like Casa Cuitlateca. We spent 7 nights there and didn't want to leave.

As you approach the facility, either over the swinging bridge or on the pathways and steps of the property, what you see is simply stunning. It takes your breath away. It is like being on top of the world. My husband and I felt this way every time we returned from a walk to Playa La Ropa beach or into town. We couldn't wait to get back from each of our excursions. There is a large deck with lounge chairs with an unobstructed view of Zihuatanejo Bay, the ocean and the town itself.

We stayed in the Oaxaca room, two stories higher than the main deck. The same view could be seen directly from our bed, and also our sitting area and our terrace. One more story higher than our room is a private sun deck with a plunging pool if it gets too hot. Again, this provided even an amplified view.

Our room was spacious, beautiful and comfortable. We felt the prices were very reasonable compared to the two most well-known resorts in the area. With taxes, it came to a little over $300 a night, including breakfast.

Adjacent to the main deck is an infinity pool with small cobblestones making up the surfaces. You can walk straight to the edge, put your elbows up and lean over with the feeling you can touch the bay.

Barbara was a welcoming manager/hostess who was there to help us with any plans. She offered on the phone several times before our arrival to arrange anything special. We accepted her offer to arrange for a dinner the first night of arrival out on the deck. The delicious dinner with a local fish was $65 and included drinks. We had Barbara arrange for us to get an evening pass to the Ixtapa Club Med, which is about 20 minutes by taxi. My husband and I had met there and since this was our anniversary, we wanted to visit it. I thought it was a wonderful evening of food and entertainment there for $60 per person.

Alfredo is the main employee at Casa Cuitlateca and he was an absolute gem. For breakfast he would offer us a full menu and would accommodate any special combinations. He would make drinks from their beautiful bar area and always be around with a smile and kind words. It was like having our own personal valet. He's very willing to help you practice your Spanish and by the end of the week, we considered him a friend. We already miss Alfredo's kind spirit.

The ocean at Playa La Ropa is warm with a white sandy beach and wonderful breaking waves not too far out.

I can't think of one thing I would change about this experience.
Marsha

• Liked — the setting and view and the way the property is laid out
  • Disliked — I can't think of one thing.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tapestries
alameda, ca
Reviewed June 9, 2008

My fiance and I had an amazing time at Casa Cuitlateca last month! We had to pinch each other everyday when we woke up to the beautiful view outside our bedroom glass doors! Alfredo, the hotel manager and the rest of the staff were wonderfully accomodating! Anything we needed, Alfredo was there- whether it was a complimentary ride downtown or a wonderful suggestion for dinner (La Cala).
We left Casa Cuitlateca with the feeling of having made such wonderful Mexican friends and having indulged in the slow pace of Mexican time. Our stay at Casa Cuitlateca exceeded the rejuvenating and fun vacation we were hoping for!
We hope our honeymoon can compare!

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed February 25, 2008

We arrived at the hotel in the early evening. The driveway is very steep so as the taxi spins its tires trying to get to the top of the hill just keep saying to yourself the view must be unreal...There is no formal entrance so cross the foot bridge and just to the right of the infinity pool is the bar. Someone will be in ear shot to help you check in.

Since the hotel only has five rooms there is no need for a bellman, doorman, front desk clerk...instead you will be treated to four Truely Amazing staff members...There is one cook who makes all the meals including the free breakfast included in the price of the room...and trust us there is no need to go anywhere else for desayuno. Fresh fruit, eggs many styles, meats, and the traditional refried beans along with fresh squeezed juice...and its all on the menu, so you choose what you want... A great way to start the day in Zihuatanejo!!!

The waiter is also your go to guy during the day...anything you need help with just ask. Moving your luggage, towels for the pool, drinks from the bar, and when in need of a late night chocolate fix he even drove us into town to the supermarket for our fine chocolate! Now that's service!!!

The Senorita that cleans the rooms was great too...you go down to the deck to eat breakfast and when you return to the room 20 minutes later it's sparkling!

Now onto the rooms: World Class Views of Playa Madera and and the rest of Zihua Bay! River rock shower! Great Beds! Ultra Clean! Hammock on the patio! Can't say enough about the quality and comfort...it's as good as any four star hotel I've stayed in and I'm an airline employee so I've seen my fair share of hotels.

Because Casa Cuitlateca is up on the hill it requires the climbing of 50 or so steps to get down to the road, but the hotel grounds are beautiful with ponds, waterfalls, and great gardens. It takes 15 minutes to walk to Playa La Ropa the main beach in town and 5 minutes to get to Playa Madera... if you are in ok condition the walk is no big deal and if you prefer, a taxi will take you all the way into town for only $2.50 U.S.

This hotel exceeded our expectations from the room, to the view, to the food, and best of all the service!!! It's very peaceful so if you are looking for the disco nearby this is not your type of place. Pull out a good book, sit on the deck under the palapa by the pool and waterfalls, and enjoy the best view in Zihuatanejo.

This great little hotel and its people will leave you with a feeling of cultural experience and relaxing vacation all in one!!!

• Liked — Beatiful Setting
  • Disliked — Uphill walk to get back to the hotel from the beach
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lawsonair
Seattle
Reviewed January 15, 2008

If you are looking for privacy, comfort, peaceful atmosphere with a spectacular view...this is the place! There are only five rooms is Casa Cuitlateca (pronounced Cweet-la-teca) but they are all beautiful with powerful a/c and most with stunning views. The grounds and garden are gorgeous and immaculate. The pool is perfect with crystal clear, clean cool water that you will have a hard time pulling yourself away from. Alfredo (the cook) and the rest of the staff were so helpful and beyond friendly. Breakfast is included with your rate and you will not walk away hungry. My daily breakfast included fresh squeezed grapefruit juice, a mixed fruit plate, ham & cheese omelet with bacon, toast w/ marmalade and fresh coffee…all of this on a deck landing overlooking Zihua. Dinners seem expensive but with pre-dinner drinks, wine with the meal (and Alfredo can cook up some great meals), sunset and night lights view of the bay, it really is worth the price.

The location is not close to really anything but within a 15 min walk of downtown or the beach. You can catch a cab at the bottom of the property and it's only a $2/$3 cab fare any where in Zihua. This property is not for kids. There are no TVs in the rooms but one in the common lobby if you really need your sports or news fix. If romance is your desire, it can not get much better! Need some adventure, Stephanie can set you up with local activities (we highly recommend snorkeling and/or fishing with Hector, the coolest water guide in Mexico!).

With the small size of the property, hillside location and personal staff, it's like having your own private resort home! It is one of the best properties we've ever stayed and we've traveled the world! We are typically very critical and will only take time to review if very impressed or if truly disgusted. Casa Cuitlateca is a traveler’s dream come true!

• Liked — Beauty and staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ravenfish
Chicago
Reviewed August 27, 2007

Casa Cuitlateca is heaven on earth! My husband and I spent 10 days there and were married on La Ropa beach during our visit. The staff was very attentive and catered to our every need. No matter how many annoying questions I had, they were always polite and prompt with our requests. The breakfasts in the morning are a great reason to wake up even if you have a massive hangover – I strongly recommend it! A few (of the many) things we had the hotel help us book were snorkeling, deep sea fishing, massages and car rental… everything they did was first class and greatly appreciated. The pool, room, bar and views of Zihuatanejo were exceptional and we felt right at home. The only thing I would do differently is not go in August, it was very, very hot.

We can’t wait to return! – Danielle & George

• Liked — The service was excellent
  • Disliked — We loved everything
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple