“Great location and nice people”

Villa Mexicana Hotel
Ranked #26 of 78 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Reviewed April 19, 2012

On a recent motorcycle trip throughout Mexico my partner and I decided we need to get away from the low rent hotels and get into a nice place and relax. This hotel filled the bill completely. Great location and friendly staff. Our room opened onto the pool and had all the amenities one would expect. My wife and I will definitely return here for a holiday in this great area! Didn't have a chance to visit the restaurant next door which word of mouth was that it was excellent.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank DavidtheTraveller

Reviewed April 14, 2012

Checked in on 4/7 @ 3:00 pm and checked out on 4/8 @ 8:00 am. The room was basic and clean but okay for a one night stay. Restaurant was awesome for both dinner and breakfast. Gave them an average rating at check out. But when we were waiting for taxi to go to the airport and the front desk clerk stated that we owed extra for dirty sheets and pillowcase which she pulled out from under the desk in a plastic bag which she stated came from our room. The sheet and pillowcase were disgusting and you could tell they had been like that for a few days. Told her that it didn't come from our room and knew that housekeeping hadn't even been to our room yet as this was at 9:00 am. If she was going to push the issue I was going to have her walk back to the room and prove it. Suggestion for anyone staying there is to take photos of your room when you arrive and when you leave. They obviously like to try scam people for extra costs.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Leslie A
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Spent 4 nights here after 15 years visiting in the Zihua/Ixtapa area. Knew about this spot beacause of the reataurant next door, Paty's. We decided to give the Villas a try. Two adults and one child. The rooms were clean, everything worked, the check-in had no drama. But there were a few "quirky" things you should know. One, three people to a room on the American breakfast deal, but only two of us can have breakfast! The third has to pay. They only wanted to provide us two bathroom towels, but when I did the "huh?" they gave us a third. The package provides one day of internet which they had to "verify" on the confirmation printout I brought down to get the internet. Oh, and the beds, like sleeping on concrete since that is what is under the mattress. If you like super firm, you'll get great sleep!But, the sand is great, the location superb, the pools nice, so I would return and can recommend this to you. Rooms I recommend? 1103-1104 on the beach side by the pool, 1310-1313 same thing. If you want the second floor, 1203-1204 and 1410-1413. And try Paty's for dinner next door, or Elvira's. Need cash of AmEx only. Salud!

Room Tip: See notes.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Jetlag767
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Had another great stay at the Villa Mexicana. This was a realitively short trip - just staying 4 nights but we enjoyed it just as much as the last time.

Our package included breakfast every morning which was great since their menu is quite extensive. We ate dinner one night at our hotel and it was wonderful. I had the fresh fish (mahi-mahi) and my husband had the chili rellanos. The other nights we ate at Paty's right next door and Elvira's on the other side of Paty's.

I had emailed in advance to ask for an ocean view room and did not get any response(although I didn't really think they would respond to be honest). Upon check in we asked if we could get an ocean view and were told that we could the next day. So we moved into the courtyard view room for the one night and the next day we moved to a perfect room with the best view. We were on the 2nd floor - room 1415.

We find the employees at Villa Mexicana to be friendly and helpful as well as hard working. Each and every one has a smile and a hello for you.

We thought the beds were pretty hard this year but then we are older now and have a harder time sleeping when traveling. Such is life.

We brought our little coffee pot along again this year and even though you can get coffee by 7 or so at the restaurant, we find that we are up earlier than that and really enjoy sitting on our balcony, enjoying our coffee while the sun comes up.

Wifi worked good in our room and on the balcony. Realitvely inexpensive.
Hint: pay for 24 hours and be sure to logout when you are not using thus saving your hours to the exact time you are logged on. Log out code is 1.1.1.1/info (hope this still works)

Still love the Villa Mexicana and I'm sure we'll be back again. Can't beat that view and the fact that you are right on the beach. Love to listen to the waves as you drift off to sleep.....

Room Tip: When you check in if you don't get an ocean view room, ask to be put on the list for one. Someti...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 20, 2012

We stay 6 days at the end of december 2012. The location of the hotel is super, with a directly acces to the beach. The rooms are basic and clean, but with a vue like this is the balcony more important. If you can, ask a room with balcony. The service was very good, everybody try to do the best for you.

There is also a nice swimmingpool with seevieuw.

You can eat in the restaurant of the hotel (fishsoup is delicious), but there also other restaurant not faraway.

Our conclusion: we realy injoy our stay , it was very relax, A very good place to stay

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Skeptical at first, only because I heard that you may not get the room you request, and being the 'brat' I am, I have to have my Oceanfront/King bed room or I am not satisfied and will not settle into a room until it is exactly what I want, I was hesitant on staying at VM. However, I have always wanted to stay on Playa La Ropa, in 'authentic' Zihuatanejo, Mexico. I have been to Ixtapa/Z numerous times (stayed at the Irma, VM's sister property, which has a magnificent view but is not on the beach). I have been all over Mexico, over 30 times & I am only 32 years old but I fell in love with Z the first time I step foot in Z and on La Ropa over 10 years ago. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised with the VM. The front desk staff was absolutely wonderful. I had been emailing them directly the week before my husband and I came to see if we could get a Oceanfront/King Bed with a Balcony and sure enough, they had the exact room I requested already set up for us when we arrived in the reservation system, and we did not even book through them. We had an early flight so we got to put our luggage in the back office and change in a hospitality room, got our swimsuits on and hit the beach by noon, our room was ready by 2:30, a half an hour before promised. The King bed was very comfortable, already had the extra soft cushion in place for us, room spotless, maid service perfect everyday and very polite and courteous (never waking us up or anything, however, a 'do not disturb sign' would of been nice, 'just in case' :-) Tropical floral arrangements on our bed everyday, a huge Aztec God above our bed gave our room that extra special Mexican touch. The balcony was HUGE, we absolutely loved it! We had a corner room, 2nd floor, it looked over the main pool and was ocean front so we had views of everything, we also had direct sunlight most of the day so if we didn't feel like being on the beach or in the pool, we could still sit on our balcony and get full rays and still feel like we were apart of everything because our balcony was literally 15 feet above the pool. It was just great. The rooms had great sound proofing, however, alomost everyone is in bed by 10:30 on La Ropa so you don't have to worry about loud music or drunks etc. This hotel is located directly on the beach. If you are on the bottom level/oceanfront, some rooms are 10 feet to get into the pool, and 11 feet to get onto the sand, 100 feet or less to get into the ocean. The ocean is crystal clean, very warm, super safe for swimming (unlike Ixtapa), the surf at night is loud and great to fall asleep to. Breakfast was included in our package and was very good, we could order anything off of the menu. Order the 'American Breakfast' that way your coffee/tea, fruit/juice is included with any breakfast entree (be sure to ask for toast or they may not bring it). Chicken Chilaquilles Roja is my favorite breakfast, don't be afraid to try something different, you will be pleasantly surprised. The beer options at the hotel is one of the only downfalls, the only beer available is: Corona, Pacifico, Modelo, Modelo Light, Negro Modelo, Victoria, and Bohemia. If you like those beers they are 35 pesos, if you do no like those beers, the hotel ALLOWS you to bring your own coolers (yes, I said it, and couldn't believe it myself, bc this is not allowed at any other resorts in Mexico, it was almost like VM was promoting guests to bring their own beer/bottle) take a taxi to 'Commerical Mexicana' and buy your beer, it is only 100 pesos for a 12 pack of Sol or Dos Equis etc, you can also get singles or some six packs at the little store outside of the store on the street on the way to where the taxis wait, ice and other snacks are there as well. One day I was looking down at everyone around the pool/beach area from my balcony with their coolers in awww thinking, 'hmmm, this is crazy, maybe we should throw a keg party! The hotel would probably like it!' lol!' The bartenders would also make drinks for you with your own alcohol in your own cups and the waiters would serve them to you in the pool or on the beach, we did not do this, but people who had been going down there year after year said it's the best way to go, it was sure something to see! Being family owned, they can do whatever they choose and VM really want to please their guests which is truly wonderful to see. It's great to see a hotel truly care about it's guests wants and needs and not just about how much money they can make etc. Happy Hour is great. Sergio is a great waiter. Pina Coladas are some of the best. Chicken Fried Tacos at night are wonderful. One other downfall is that guests save their Beach chairs day after day, night after night. We never had a spot the entire week we were there. We didn't care because of where our room was located, when we weren't on our balcony, we were in the gorgeous infinity pool or in the ocean, just keep this in mind if you like to have a spot under a Palapa all day, be up at the break of dawn or get your spot when a guest checks out, other wise people save their spots for the duration of their vacation which may be weeks on end, and their are way more rooms than beach chairs etc. There are 2 smaller pools which are nice to lay by that are not oceanfront but they get full sun during the day and and are private, so a nice quiet getaway from the main pool beach area. Small store on site selling beach clothes, souvenirs etc. Beach towels were always available at the front desk. $50 deposit with credit card or pesos for safety deposit box key, which is in your room and is a must have while on vacation, they don't charge your card unless you lose your key. Restaurant Elvira next door has excellent food, the Tuna Fillet & shrimp tacos are fantastic! Chocolate Shakes at hotel are wonderful. 90 degrees ad full sun everyday. Best beachfront hotel in ALL of Mexico! This hotel is for the people who love Mexico, the people, it's country, it's culture, traditions, the sun, the sea, being laid back, and just having a great time without a worry in the world. If you don't have a great time here and in 'Z,' it's your own fault! First time I've NEVER had to change rooms in Mexico, was assigned the best room at check in! We will be back!!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank daisymae531
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Nice small place, better than the giant resorts. Friendly staff. Hotel sits on a beautiful beach with a view of the fishing fleet. Only stayed one night but I'd love to spend a week there.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business