“Great location and staff!”

Villa Mexicana Hotel
Ranked #24 of 81 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Richmond, Canada
“Great location and staff!”
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Villa Mexicana has an unbeatable location on the beach at Playa de Ropa. The rooms are adequate and cleaned daily. The grounds are well landscaped and the pool is vey inviting. there are also 2 smaller pools for kids, soaking etc. We met many very nice people there. The only problem with this place is that it seems to attract noisy groups who then tend to dominate the pool and common areas. Some of them even feel it is their right to take chairs and loungers into the pool, with their own loud music. Maybe ok at the all inclusives, but it ruins the experience for those of us who are more considerate of others.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms would be away from the pool area, and the bar in the courtyard.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Steveston_tours

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 13, 2012

This hotel gets raves, I suspect, because it is a bargain compared with The Tides next door and places like the Casa que Canta up the road. If you are going to Zihua just to sit on the beach and not hang at the hotel, no argument there. But some things to know. Little ants crawling all over the desk. No internet in the rooms, just the restaurant, or so I was told. Very small pools (they cite 3 but it is really 1 small one, with 2 just above jacuzzi size) and overall outdated furnishings and very hard bed. Restaurant very mediocre (go to the The Tides if you can splurge). Big advantage is the hotel is right on the beach, and it is a nice beach with very clear water -- even just wading out up to the knees you can see fish -- and calm. It is running distance to town, about 2.5 km, where you should take your meals from a good array of restaurants. Bottom line: more of a no frills place but if seeking the resort experience look elsewhere

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank RC A
Denver
Reviewed December 10, 2011

Amazing location how often can you walk 5 steps from your hotel room door into an infinity pool and another 10 steps onti the beach! we truly love zihautanejo and had not been since 2008, I think it's even nicer than I even remembered!

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank RachaelDenverCO
Denver
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We have stayed at Villa Mexicana on Play La Ropa in Zihuatenjo at least seven times, last year for two weeks. This is the vacation that makes you feel like you are a real traveler in real Mexico. Remember "The Shawsank Redemption"? There a reason they went to Zihuatenejo. We call up our local agent and she gets us one of those great non-stops that Apple Vacations offers to Ixtapa /Zihuatenjo. If you love Cancun you don't need to go to Ixtapa, but if you love laid back, right on the beach, eating at great little fish restaurants without ever putting your shoes on, The Villa Mexicana is delightful..
Disclosure I work part time for Writer Travel One in Denver, but I was visiting this hotel long before I ever did so. This is a hotel for those who have no use for the all-inclusive experience, but love a nice Mexican beach.

Room Tip: You either climb one set of stairs, or you have a patio that opens right on the beach . Ocean front...
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank lynita
Vancouver B.C.
Reviewed March 1, 2011

We loved the location of this hotel. It was clean and the beach beautiful. Our room was also very nice with a partial ocean view and balcony. The staff seemed very helpful and always smilling and willing to help. The lock on our sliding door was broken when we arrived and it was fixed within the hour. The only downside of our week stay was the 2nd to last afternoon a group of 35 from Missouri (I think) arrived and took over the hotel. They were so loud and had no idea that there were other guest being distrurbed by there rudeness. Shame on you all. We all paid for this holiday. Other than that this was a wonderful holiday. WE also watched the turtles hatching the morning we were to leave, quite a site them little guys. The beach was great for swimming.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sunshinehunter10
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 1, 2011

HOTEL but NOT IN THIS CASE!!!!!!!
SICK - 6 people that I talked to got sick down in Mexico and all attributed it to the restaurant at Villa Mexicana. It simply wasn't sanitary. I personally was more ill than I have ever been in my entire life and it was after eating dinner there. My girlfriend also threw up a lot hours after eating there.
PRICES - The prices of their beers were extremely high, not to mention their piña coladas. They were over 5 bucks for each – you don’t even pay that downtown when you’re out for dinner.
RUDE - I was at the front counter one time when a woman asked for a towel and was told only one was left, she was an American tourist and white. Immediately after a man, local, asked for 2 towels and she went in to the back and got him 2 towels and smiled at me as she did it. They also didn’t provide a key for the safe in the room and acted like I really put them out when I asked for it, they agitatedly described that if I lost the key I would have to pay $100 for its replacement. In addition they wanted $175 dollars if I was going to lose the remote. The young man behind the counter was very unhappy to be there for our day of check-in and it still sits with me now.
WORST MEXICO TRIP EXPERIENCE EVER - This was absolutely my worst vacation I have ever been on in my life and will definitely not go back. I sincerely urge you to not make the same mistake as well. I booked with AppleVacations so I would also steer away from them as they obviously don’t monitor the hotels they have in their search criteria.
I know that many people have said this is a good place to stay… I urge you to look at the dates the reviews were written and also thing about the type of vacation you want to take.
EXTREMELY DISSAPOINTED

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JakeT83
winnipeg
Reviewed February 23, 2011

Don’t fret it’s just a parody , heck I”am poking fun at myself soon !!
We just finished a fantastic two weeks at villas Mexicana (we is two kids 2+4 yrs and us parents )
My entrepreneurial juices are flowing, I have figured a way to get rich quick in Zih and in particular at Villas Mexicana . All I need to do is set up a shop that sells mobility products , men’s knee high socks and pension investment advice , I will have it made !!!.
Okay fun aside, this was probably the best trip in a long time, I wish we had been to Zih sooner !!
Hotel
Location –location!!! Come on, the beach is steps away and the views amazing. La ropa beach is strikingly beautiful , gentle surf , our kids had a hoot playing in the water and sand .
We found the hotel surpassed our needs, clean, charming rustic feel to the property.
Room are basic but lots of cubbies for storage, large bathrooms, hot water and cold A/C.
Beds are a bit hard but you can request a foam topper.
Most rooms has a small sitting area with a table and chairs.
We had room 1303 which was perfect, it was steps from the smaller pools and seconds from the beach.
This is a great room if you have kids as they can splash around, while you sit and watch from the patio.
The hotel has three pools; we found they had been named by previous travellers, as follows
Kiddies , newlyweds , halfdeads .
Overall the staff were attentive, front desk people fantastic, any issues were dealt with quickly.
We ate at the restaurant a few times it was good but maybe a bit expensive for some people tastes.
We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel for all travellers , Many guests have stayed here year after year .
The only people who would not enjoy this hotel would be high maintence types, for them they can travel next door to the Tides for about $ 750.00 US a night .

We will return to this hotel and ZIh over and over , felt completely safe everywhere and enjoyed dining at many excellent places which I will pass on in the restaurant section of TA .

PS tourism is down here and is evident we tipped our maids 20 peso a day and gave her 200 at the end . We bought lots of goodies from the beach vendors and a few beers for the local beach guys in front of the hotel .
Overall the 100 or so bucks in tipping over two weeks is nothing to us but grateful to them !!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family