Villa del Sol Resort(Zihuatanejo)
$271
Official Website
La Casa Que Canta(Zihuatanejo)
$409
Bookit.com
$136
$114
  • Breakfast included
Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa(Ixtapa)(Great Value!)
$168
$164
$213
Emporio Ixtapa(Ixtapa)(Great Value!)
$67
$59
  • Breakfast included
Las Brisas Ixtapa(Ixtapa)(Great Value!)
$120
$70
Bookit.com
Embarc Zihuatanejo(Zihuatanejo)(Great Value!)
$146
$132
All reviewssunset baron la ropa beachprivate section of the beachceiling fanlounge chairsinfinity poolthe hotel's restaurantfiltered waterrestaurants within walking distancemexican holidayquaint hotelview of the baygreat beachworked greatzihuatanejo baymini fridgesenor frogs
Reviewed February 26, 2007

We first visited Catalina Beach Resort in February of 2006 and are four weeks away from our second stay in April 2007. I cannot wait! I have never (I am not kidding) stayed at the same place twice because I usually like to experience something different each time but work has been super stressful this year and I know I can count on Zihua and The Catalina to provide me with a great break. I have never been more relaxed on a vacation. The staff is super friendly and the resort never feels crowded. You don't feel like you have to compete with your fellow guests for a table at dinner or a palapa at the beach. The terrace bar has the best view.....of course so do the rooms. I can't believe the view we had and how close we were to the beach (close enough to fall asleep to the waves) for the price we were paying. This kind of proximity will cost you a fortune in Hawaii. The rooms were fairly rustic but extremely clean. We did not have air-conditioning but the ceiling fan kept us very comfortable. The beach itself is beautiful and packed with charming restaurants. Nothing beats rolling out of bed in the morning and having breakfast with your feet in the sand. There are more restaurants and an excellent blues club within walking distance of the hotel (not that you ever need to leave). I could go on and on. A lot has been said about the steps but really if you are not extremely elderly or disabled than I don't see the problem. If, like me, you like to experience a country in the more traditional vein instead of holing up at a generic all-inclusive than this is the place for you.

Stayed: February 2006
8  Thank bunnybutt23
Reviewed February 22, 2007

tThe Catalina is reminicent of the way the finest hotels used to be.I absolutly loved it. The cottages spill down a hillside to the ocean.There are magnificent views around every corner.The infinity pool is great .The grounds are perfectly groomed with lush vegetation and the steps are no big deal unless you have difficulty walking.They are wide and it is a winding path,not straight up and down.They have lasagna in the resturant every Sunday night that is some of the best I have ever eaten.People in the area know to go there on Sunday for that.Javier at the front desk speaks perfect english and is very helpfull and made our stay enjoyableThis hotel is wonderful and I cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank storey
Reviewed September 18, 2006

There's a consumer theory: of price, quality and service, you can have two, but never all three. As all other reviews have indicated, quality (of rooms) is not the strong point here. Agreed. But our room was not inadequate either. In fact, we had a bungalo suite with two hammocks on the terrace and a view of heaven.

The Catalina absolutely smoked on the other two items: good price and phenomenal service. The staff went out of their way to help and to create a memorable stay, despite our timing being off season.

The food was only adequate from our findings at the Catalina. But every single step down the beach lands you in front of a new restaurant. And there are endless possibilities in town. Daiquiris are especially good.

Special thanks to Celso, Leo, José Juan, Javier and Roger. We were part of a wonderful family for 9 days! I personally miss the added exercise swimming in the ocean and the steps up to the street provided.

If you came to party, or, if you have kids and you’re looking for the all-inclusive experience, Ixtapa’s there for you. Zihua is for everyone else – and it’s GLORIOUS.

Good things to know:
 A gecko in the room is good luck. After all, who’s going to help eliminate those pesky mosquitoes (and yes, it’s the tropics, so mosquitoes are plenty). Two geckos are even better.
 The guys on the beach who offer to take you fishing…are actually really good guides and will take care of you. The locals are out to make money, yes, but are good allies as well.
 Food is amazing everywhere, especially: Tamale Any’s, Mangos, Doña Prudencia (3 “doors” down) and La Sirena Gorda. So many places, so little time…. It’s important to note that we ate at some swanky places like Amuleto, Intrawest, etc., and we preferred the smaller, older establishments.
 Curly said: swim, eat, drink, sleep, repeat as needed. He was right.
 Prices in the artisans’ market are fully negotiable, and it can be a lot of fun putting complex deals together with the merchants. There are fantastic finds there to be had.
 Casa Tequila (yes, there’s one in Ixtapa too) has the best selection I’ve seen in Mexico (although I have yet to go to Guadalajara).
 The front desk will help arrange local cultural tours, if that’s something that interests you. It did for us, and it was an amazing day spent visiting towns in the region and la Chole (the archeological ruins).
 Green coconut water is considered “natural Gatorade” (electolytes), or at least that’s what they say.
 Playa Las Gatas is a great place to spend a day – and you can get those guys with the wet bikes on Playa La Ropa to take you across for about as much as it costs to take a cab into town and then take the panga over to las Gatas – a short cut.
 Sunday nights, the town gathers in the Zocalo for a talent show, of sorts.
 Thursday is Pozole day, and I was told you shouldn’t really eat it any other day.
 There’s a boardwalk down the road that passes by Hotel Irma that takes you next to Las Brisas (great breakfast) and across Playa Madera (really not a good beach) into town. It’s great at sunset.

We will absolutely be back at Catalina – we’ve found our home in Zihua!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
20  Thank 2Seattleites
Reviewed July 27, 2006

This resort isa gem! After spending several hours on line trying to find a hotel to visit my friend I was pleased to find this one. Javier took my reservation and was very accomodating and even remembered me when I checked. They warned me in advance that I would need to change rooms during my stay and they found a comparable one on the very next row and moved all of my stuff while I lounged on the beach. Everyone was very friendly, including the guests. Contact the hotel directly (they have a toll free number on their website: (--))
Yes, there are stairs. I stayed in one of the suites at the very top of the hill so I am well aware of them. However, I considered them a way to earn all the delicious guacamole that I ate! No really, the stairs are not that bad and there are several landings with shade to rest if needed. A small price to pay for such beautiful surroundings.
It is an easy walk into town (downhill) and only a few dollars cab ride back to the hotel. However, there are many restuarants and things to do on the beach and on the road close to the hotel. This was by far the best resort on the beach for me and I hope to come back some day!

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled solo
5  Thank COactivetraveller
Reviewed May 14, 2006

most of our traveling is done not as normal travelers, but, silly as it sounds (sounds silly to US) as "vip's" , hosting as many as a thousand corporate guests. our stay at catalina beach was a rare actual VACATION for the two of us, traveling alone to visit friends.
instead of staying at a four star with hundreds, we were on our own this time.

we chose the catalina beach for its history and its charm and we were not disappointed.
we stayed in a "deluxe" bungalow room with AC...#25...and i can't think of anything to complain about. yes, the room was a bit "threadbare" in its' furnishings, but nothing that bothered us....it was attractive & comfortable. and all we did in the room anyway was shower, dress and sleep...our room time was all spent outside on the beautiful terrace!

the staff took very very good care of us! before our arrival, we had requested that the little fridge be stocked with beer, diet cokes and water, and they kept it stocked for our whole visit.

the stairs...well, what the heck....the "bungalow" rooms were a good choice for us, at our age (56 & 62). no problem to the beach. going up....maybe 3 rest stops between our room & the office to huff & puff & admire the gardens, NOT a problem! and coco was always there to greet us at the top.

if we get back to zihuatanejo....we will definitely stay at catalina beach again!

• Stayed: April 2006