“Make sure you get AC”

Catalina Beach Resort
Ranked #34 of 77 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We checked weather to see a high of 85 ish but even 85 is miserable without AC. They wanted to charge a lot more to change to AC room than if we had just booked with AC to begin with. Lots of stares and games with Happy Hour drinks(common for Mexico). Location is a bit remote and could use a face lift. We did get a good rate for the room though.

Room Tip: Pay for A/C
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Don M
There are newer reviews for Catalina Beach Resort

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Let’s talk about Catalina Beach Resort.
My Sister in Law picked the hotel. Initially I was freaking out over the stairs as I had bilateral knee replacements two years ago and 300 steps from top to bottom was a daunting prospect I wasn’t looking forward to. However, I was first up and first down, with nary a problem so that issue out of the way, let’s get to it. Our room was 51, at the very top and I loved the room. I know there are nice rooms and antiquated rooms, we chose the nicer room and the view was Spectacular! I don’t like staying in cement box rooms as most of the Zihua beachfront hotels seem to be. Our balcony was Private and we Used It. It only rained once last week and that was at night so we danced naked in the rain then availed ourselves of the two giant chase lounges, pushed together for a bed that overlooked the bay it was memorable with the pounding and crashing waves in the background while watching my lovely wife’s contented face superimposed upon the bay view. How I Love Mexico! Catalina has Old World Charm and the grounds are amazing. Going anywhere on the property is like taking a short walk through a dense primeval Jungle but on nice paths with subdued night lighting. If you don’t like stairs they can drive you up and down in a nice 4 door SUV. I chose not to take advantage of the SUV. I’m glad I didn’t as the views walking are Not To Be Missed. The SUV can take you from any room to the pool and from there you can walk down the incline on the left of the property to the beach, NO STAIRS that way but the stairs have many switch backs and viewpoints along the way as well as the panorama restaurant, sunset bar and pool to rest up, take a breather and “rehydrate” along the way. The stairs only took about 10 minutes to navigate. The Mango Daiquiris are great, order 4, I did. Hector’s margaritas were dangerously strong, Salvador Rodriguez’s homemade Horchata was the best I’ve ever had and Reynaldo at the beach bar reads minds and anticipated our every want, need or desire. Speaking of their staff, These people are wonderful, kind, considerate, well spoken and they All exude old world charm and hospitality. The menu is fantastic with daily specials. I ate like a horse yet didn’t gain an ounce due to all the swimming, diving and stairs. Thank GOD! My wife loves a good hotel, room service and a 5 star dining room, we have 60 days and counting on Holland America Cruise Lines and the food at Catalina Rivaled if not surpassed Holland America. No Kidding nor exaggerations. The Food Was Spectacular and the Service Sublime.

Eva has a Great Crew working for her and I hope they don’t change a Thing. Although a Zip Line to the beach would be Cool. Or a long water slide….. Hmmmm. I can see it now…. Our fridge in the room worked Great and we stocked it on the way there from the airport. Just ask the taxi driver to stop on the way. Lots of taxi drivers negotiate the rate so bypass the sharks in the airport disembarking area and just go outside and negotiate. We paid 25 USD. We also made great use of the local busses to and from town for only 65 centavos versus 5 bucks USD for a taxi and we got to hob nob with the locals and learn a bit about their culture. Zihua has a locals market you should visit. We met some great people there and everyone was so 1940’s kind and enjoyable. Back to the rooms, yes, our bed was hard but they also have feather soft beds and my sister in law had hers switched out without any fuss.
Showering… Plan ahead if your room is at the top. Their water heaters are in the middle of the property so it takes a while to get hot water to the top rooms but when it gets there it’s too hot and needs cold to balance the temp. The faucets are labeled C and F. That stands for Caliente and Frio. Caliente is HOT and Frio is COLD. The first day there I was Really Wanting A Shave then we figured it out the hard way. Turn on the hot water 30 minutes before you Actually Want To Shower then no prob. Oh, The Shower in Our Room fits two adults very comfortably but the soap kept falling. Go Figure? Our room had AC and we kept it on low with the ceiling fan also on low and were very comfortable. We slept in top of the sheets. Our balcony also had a fan, “no AC on balcony” but a gentle sea breeze redolent with the scent of jungle flowers. We were equally comfortable on the balcony though we rarely had any clothes on while enjoying the balcony so that could have something to do with the level of enjoyment we attained. You Decide. Visit this hotel. Unless you’re a white trash kardashian or an entitled Rockefeller you’re gonna love it.

Internet. We had a decent signal in our room and I was able to upload pics to my FB page.
The Catalina Resort beach is the BEST on La Ropa Beach. No Joke! The BEST!
We really enjoyed the happy hour 2 for 1 drinks and Hector’s Special margaritas must be experienced.
Lamb Chops with Raspberry Sauce was delicious. So was the lobster. Try the Catalina Potpourri dish. A little of everything and very reasonably priced. I really think their chefs were Cordon Bleu trained.

While sitting at OUR palapa a young man walked up and offered to take us fishing on his boat for the Day, for 150 USD for all of us, 4 people, 150 tl for the day. We have him a 60 USD deposit and 2 days later, at 8 am, he was floating just off our beach ready to fish and did we catch fish! Filled the boat. Ate at Las Gatas what we caught, sashimi style, ceviche and grilled. The Capitano is Ernesto Salas Jr. and he’s the 24 year old son of Luis Ernesto Vargas Salas, also a Capitano and fisherman. Young Ernesto knows his Stuff. Go Fishing with HIM. His 8 month old Covered 30’ panga is top shelf, with an enclosed head. Ernesto’s boat is powered by a new 75 hp Yamaha outboard motor. One of the hotels amazing staff, Fili carried down all our beer, water and limes and Ernesto’s deckhand walked it all out to the boat. 30 minutes later I caught the first dorado of the day. Felt like Ernest Hemingway. Fun moment was when a porpoise surfaced directly behind our boat and the tuna I was reeling in suddenly made a long run but I found out later it was the porpoise making the Run With MY tuna in it’s mouth. All I reeled in was the Head. My new catch phrase is “I got head from a porpoise in Zihua”
Fili pronounced “FeeLee” was a great friend to us while we stayed there. Fili works at the hotel in the mornings and drives a taxi in the afternoons. Imagine having a taxi at your beck and call? We Did. He’s lived there 20 years though he looks 21 years old he’s actually in his 40’s. He wouldn’t tell me his Secret!

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip to Zihua.

Playa La Ropa is one of the Best Beaches I’ve ever visited and I’ve Visited Too Many to Count. Water was wonderful, clear, and buoyant with high salt content and around 83 degrees water temp. No stingrays, No underwater obstructions, No Problems at All. Bottom was smooth sand with beautiful reflections of the sun dancing upon the bottom. I was mesmerized by the reflections on the bottom and floated way too long while snorkeling, burned my back. Wear a rash guard. Service at the Catalina Beach Resort Palapas was perfect. Overall this is a must visit beach but the best part of it is the buoyed swim area in front of Catalina Resort, keeps the jet skis and taxis from invading the swimming area. FIVE STARS!

Room Tip: Expedia has Great Packages for this resort and Air Alaska has nonstop flights to Ixtapa-Zihua airpor...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Chad G
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Back for our annual Catalina stay (yearly since 1995). It is situated on one of the prettiest beaches we have visited and at the best location on Playa La Ropa. If you are looking for 5 star, go someplace else. If you can't do stairs, go someplace else. The Cat is old hotel charm, with very little upgrading since it was built except for wi-fi and a few new deluxe rooms and updated casitas, air conditioning and a new lobby (finally!). The hotel staff are long time employs and provide great service. The restaurant food is excellent either in the dining room or served at the beach. The Sunset bar is as good as it gets for watching the setting sun. The infinity pool is small but provides awesome views of Zihuatanejo bay. The large terraces with the deluxe bungalows are huge and a great place too for watching the happy hour sunsets. I guess you get the picture, we love the Catalina and hope it stays stays just the way it is forever!

Room Tip: Choose an updated casita, deluxe bungalow or Linda Vista suite.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ted M
Reviewed September 25, 2013

It is very well located, with a nice beach and a great view. Don´t expect something fancy, the hotel looks pretty much old specially the rooms. But rooms have an amazing terrace looking at the sea with hamacas hanging from de roof. Beach is also very nice, nice waves, well located, no very crowded. For us, the best thing is the staff and that it is truly a pet friendly hotel. We stayed with our dog and had a fantastic weekend.
As I said, rooms are not the best but, overall, it is a place that you definitly have to visit, specially if you like to travel with your dog or your cat.

Room Tip: Rooms are old but you must try the hamacas in the terrace
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Abrahamovsky
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Really nice place with a great view, peaceful romantic and quiet! The food was very well presented and delicious. The service was excellent.Hector, Hiliberto and Salvador (Don Chava) were friendly, professional and helpful and really made our dinners enjoyable. Javier and Roman at Reception were also a pleasure to meet. However the place needs substantial renovations in order to regain the elegance that once it had and still can be seen in many details. Some pruning to improve the views (magnificent still!), a bit of paint, a touch of varnish in the woods and some method of transportation to the beach! It used to have one, but is no longer functional. Over three hundred (!!!) stairs is good aerobic exercise but not very enjoyable on daily basis to the "older crowd" (the one generally with the money....)
Eva, the owner, is an excellent lady, friendly and well spoken and was a pleasure meeting with her.
I loved the place and I certainly would recommend it and be back!
But my advice to her is to listen to her employees, they have good ideas and are dedicated and loyal and willing to assist to return The Catalina to her former romantic glory!
Regardless of it all it was a great experience and enjoyable memory! If in Zihuatanejo this place is not to be missed!

Room Tip: Room 5 has a nice view and is reasonably priced, also closer to the Restaurant and half way to the b...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CarlosandGigi
Reviewed April 25, 2013

A friendly staff. The breakfast terrace has a breathtaking view. The food is excellent. The resort is on a slope above la Ropa beach,so there is a climb back to your room. Closer to the cottages is a pool with a view. With our open windows, we were bothered by a noisy party near our room. It is a short 20 minute walk to Zihua.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank atwoodjohn03
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We did not book this hotel for ourselves. It was booked for us by a relative and we were a little reluctant to stay here. This hotel has a lot of stairs just like many of the hotels in Zihuatanejo. It is on La Ropa beach which is very pretty. However, the rooms are completely outdated and the beds are very hard. My husband, who rarely complains, had to turn around and sleep with his head at the foot of the bed. Our room didnt have AC but some of the rooms do. We looked at an upgraded room and decided it was best to switch hotels. If you want beachfront and don't mind a hard bed for a reasonable price, then maybe this hotel will work for you. We moved to Aura del Mar and were very happy.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms do have AC
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family