All reviewssunset baron la ropa beachair conditioningprivate section of the beachceiling fanlounge chairsinfinity poolthe hotel's restaurantfiltered waterrestaurants within walking distancemexican holidayquaint hotelview of the baygreat beachworked greatzihuatanejo baymini fridge
Reviewed February 16, 2013

My wife and I just returned from another stay at the Catalina. Our first visit there was in the mid 70's. Not sure how many times we have been there, but it is the only place we have gone back to and had the same experience as the first visit. We travel to many different places, staying in everything from one to five star locations, but every few years, we just have to go back. This is my favorite--just feels like home. There are certainly newer and fancier hotels/resorts in the area, but I'm not about to move. It is one of the older locations, and perhaps there are better beds and maybe it takes a few minutes for the hot water to get to the shower, but the location, view, staff, service and other friendly visitors more than make up for whatever may be lacking.
We stayed in the older part of the hotel, where we have always stayed. In the last few years new, very modern rooms have been added, and others remodeled. Perhaps these would be a better choice for some who might be a little more particular, but for me, I will take my old room, #36.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank wanderworld42
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Good location. The staff was exceptionally helpful and friendly. The rooms were very comfortable, great. King size bed is very comfortable. Good cleaning. WI-FI in the room and on the balcony worked well. Good, secure parking. The hotel is so close to the sea that I you can listen to it via the open window all the time (there is no glass in the windows) . I recommend. Not suitable for very elderly people, a lot of stone steps at the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank doberoscar
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Hotel is OK, pool is good and beach is great, although this last thing has more to do with mother nature than with good hotel management. Beds are as bad as they can be, pillows are not only as slim as sheets but are also dirty as...well, real dirty. I decided to move out of the hotel after one night even when I had booked 5 nights, when I told the receptionist I was checking out, he said "OK", I was a little surprised he didn't even asked why or even "how did you like your stay?" for that matter. So, very poor management.

Room Tip: Just make sure you have clean pillows and decent mattresses.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
20  Thank Luis42644
Reviewed November 15, 2012

This was our first trip to Zihuatanejo. The Catalina Beach Resort was exactly as described in other reviews. We stayed in a "deluxe bungalow" which was not a bungalow at all, just a larger room with air conditioning. The air conditioner blew right on the beds, which was a bit of a problem at night. There are a lot of stairs and for longer stays (we only stayed 4 nights) you would get used to them but my legs stopped hurting the day we left. However, being right on the beach was worth it - we love having access to beach chairs/lounges where we stay - I would not want to stay anywhere other than right on the beach. Playa La Ropa is a great beach - clean, not too rough and there is a nice snorkel spot nearby. It would be nice if there were a greater variety of restaurants on the beach for dinner - some of the best ones are quite a walk from Catalina and by dinner time we were too tired to try them. The one right next to Cataline - Elvira - was excellent, however. The pool is to die for - great view and just the right temperature.

I did get some insect bites the day before we left but I think it was mostly on the beach and I probably neglected repellant that day. I was not overly bothered by mosquitoes as I usually am when I travel to the tropics.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 28, 2012

It would be a good place for a couple that wants a quiet place to stay or a family that doesn’t want to worry about the kids getting lost from their room to the beach.
It’s located only a 5 min. cab ride or a 20 min. walk from downtown.
Its beach is clean and quiet and there was hotel staff on the beach to meet our needs. The Hotel is built on a hill so there are steps to walk but we found the steps to not be a problem. It’s an older hotel, built in the 50’s so don’t expect a ‘Hilton’ 5 star environment but its clean, quiet and safe. The staff was very helpful and "Celso" that works the front desk is more than happy to help you with any needs. The Restaurant is a nice place to eat with a great view of the ocean and reasonable prices. The staff didn’t have a problem with me grabbing stuff to eat or drink and taking it back to the room. We stayed in a Bungalow; I believe room 41 which is half way between the beach and the lobby/restaurant. It was HUGE! It would easily sleep 4 because of the two couches. There was A/C [which you must have] a T.V and refrigerator. Two hammocks’ and a day bed on the patio, with a beautiful view of the ocean. The refrigerator was nice to have because it saved a little money for food. The pool was very clean with ‘priceless’ view of the ocean. The doors needed trim at the bottoms so we used our spare towels to block out the crabs from the beach from coming in at night but once we put the towels down it wasn’t a problem.
I would not stay in Ixtapa because there’s not much there. Only a couple places to shop [Zihuatanejo has hundreds of little shops] and there’s only a couple places to eat, where Zihuatanejo has many more place to eat at. The locals live in Zihuatanejo and a lot of them work in Ixtapa. Bandido's De Zihua, restaurant, in Zihuatanejo was too expensive for what you get.
Don’t go to the Los Gatos beach, its small and crowded. Go to Ixtapa Island to snorkel, its much nicer. A 40 peso cab ride from the hotel to downtown Zihuatanejo and a 10 peso bus trip to the Los Gatos beach in Ixtapa will have you snorkeling in 90 min’s easy.
Hope this information helps you. From an American living/traveling in Mexico for almost 12 months now, Tim.

Room Tip: A/C is a must have.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple