“charming”

WorldMark Zihuatanejo
North Carolina
“charming”
Reviewed January 26, 2006

I just returned from Villa Vera - my first visit to Zihua. I found this boutique hotel very comforatable although the location was just a little out of the way. This had both good & bad aspects. If you enjoy walking it's perfect. I was in a lovely room with a great view of the bay. It had an alcove where you could sit at the window & read. The entire staff was extremely helpful. Even though I was on the first floor right next to the restaurant/bar it was quiet.
The AC worked well. There were 2 bathrobes available. The room safe had no lock. I didn't really understand the refrigerator in that it had a replaceable sticker so that if you opened it I don't see how they'd know. I did ask twice for a listing of prices for the items but it never arrived. Other than the bottled water I left it alone. I had one small toilet issue that was resolved within 1 hour.
The food at the restaurant was excellent. Although the menu wasn't extensive it was still a good selection. Little touches like flower petals on the bed spread each day were endearing. There were books in English available to read.
Overall Zihua was beautiful & the weather was perfect. I'd return & stay at Villa Vera again although the town was just a little quiet for me.

• Stayed January 2006
13 Thank bekindtoanimals7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Reviewed December 30, 2005

Having read the review from 11-6-05, my wife and I were a little apprehensive before our visit to Villa Vera, I'm pleased to say that our experience was wonderful. The hotel is neither big nor new, but it was very quaint, and the staff were all friendly and heplful. We were in room 405, and found it to be a large, clean and comfortable room, with a nice view from the balcony and a big bathroom complete with jacuzzi tub (which we didn't use), and while I wouldn't drink the water, it did appear to be clean & clear. Also, there was plenty of hot water which for future reference was the bottom knob in our room. We did see a few geckos, but only one cute little guy in our room which we captured and released on our balcony, and I was the only scorpian in our room.

During our stay, we talked with a lot of other guests and without exception they were all very pleased with their stay at the hotel, one couple even tried to extend their stay by a week, but the hotels was full. Most of the other guests we spoke with were on the first and second floors, but none were actually in room 106. One couple let us peak in their room (207 I think), and while it wasn't as big or as nice as our room, they thought it was fine, even when their a/c vent started to drip on the second to last night of their stay. I guess the rooms on the lower level share a common a/c system, our room had its own new wall mounted system that worked very well.

The common areas of the hotel are small, but they are big enough for the number of guests. The pool area has a beautiful view of the entire bay and normally isn't very crowded with 6-12 people in and around it. One day it did get a little crowded when about 20 workers from Club Med in Ixtapa came to the hotel for a luchtime end of contract party. Apparently, the resorts in the area let employees of other resorts to use their facilities, so they can enjoy their time off work without being recognized by guests. Normally, there were only two or three visitors per day from Club Med, they seemed to enjoy the small quiet atmosphere at Villa Vera. The restuarant at the hotel was very good, but you could eat as well for less money in town. We felt guilty for not eating dinner there more often bacause the staff was so friendly, but we did enjoy a few Margaritas at the small bar within the restaurant and usully had breakfast there.

Overall, we had a very pleasant and relaxing stay at Villa Vera and will definitely return. Zihuatenajo has moved to the top of our list for vacation spots in Mexico. The town is just the right size for our taste with many wonderful shops and restaurants, its an easy 15 minute downhill walk from the resort, and while we did walk back twice, I recommend the $3 taxi ride. We enjoyed the uncrowded beaches at La Ropa and Las Gatas. As for the resaurants, we really enjoyed all the fresh seafood, especially at Casa Bahia, Daniels, and El Mediteranean.

Anyway, I've probably rambled on too long here, but I couldn't let the previous review be the last one on the board. Maybe its a matter of expections, ours were in doubt after reading that review, but our experience was very pleasant, and yes we also visit a lot of 5 star resorts. I hope this review doesn't raise your expectations too high, because Villa Vera Puerto Mio isn't a world class resort and I wouldn't want to be responsible for the let down, but we will go back again.

PS: the crossed tennis raquets is the Club Regina logo and Villa Vera is affiliated with them.

• Stayed December 2005
27 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 5, 2005

My wife and I have just returned from a 6 day stay at
Villa Vera. Let me put this review in the context of our travel experiences which spans 40 years, all over the world, and several times all over Mexico, which is one of our favorite vacation spots. We have stayed in $5 a night dives as well as Presidential suites that I hate to tell you what they cost.

We selected the Villa Vera as a timeshare/exchange for another property in Mexico where we purchased. The Villa Vera is part of the Westin Club Regina (a Mexican corporation!) and is reported as an RCI "Gold Crown" resort. We had purchased a unit with a kitchenette and we were expecting "like for like."

Upon arriving at the Villa Vera we were greeted with a sign over the entrance that said "Hotel, Marina, and Spa." They have crossed tennis raquets on their logo and used throughout the hotel. There are no tennis courts, the spa is a massage table out by the pool (that's it, no exercise equipment, nothing), there is no marina, not even a port at this location, and not even a beach. Evidently there used to be access to a very rocky, sunless, 30 yard long beach down a 100 foot cliff but that access has been blocked by the new construction of private homes right below the hotel. There was a lot of construction in the immediate area with dynamite blasting, jackhammers, and heavy equipment from 8 until 5:30.

We were shown to our room #106, which was a small bedroom with a kingsize bed, and an adjacent dark room (with a white painted concrete bench with no cushions, no lights in the room anywhere, and no windows. I couldn't figure out what the room was for.) There wasn't any balcony. The bathroom could only be used by one person at a time. The room had no view because of the thick vegetation outside. We couldn't even keep the drapes open because our room was adjacent the "spa" area just outside our window and you could see right into our room. Part of the floor had recently been painted with white gloss latex paint that was stil wet and was sticky underfoot. When I complained, the front desk said that #106 was one of their most popular rooms. Yeah, right.

We asked if the water in the tap was purified. Gilberto, the bellhop, said it was okay for us to drink, but he said he couldn't drink it on a daily basis because the minerals were not good for his body. I tried the tap and a short burst of rust colored water came out and I wisely decided to pass on drinking it. Each room is supposed to have two bath robes and a coffee maker. There weren't any. The T.V. had no remote control. We requested them and they never did show up....but read on. There was no kitchenette, just an undercounter refrigerator. We were told they had no rooms with kitchenettes. The refrigerator had snacks and drinks in them that were about three times the cost at local stores. The frig was sealed so that if you did break the seal to put your own drinks in it, there was a minimum $15 charge...per day!

We decided to take a shower. The knobs were stacked vertically and we presumed hot was on the top. No hot water. We tried the lower knob. No hot water. So we had cold water showers which wasn't too bad given the heat and humidity. We called the front desk to report the problem. No problem, they would fix it. The beds were firmer than what were are used to and woke up with a backache each morning. Three of the lights did not work because there were no bulbs in the bare sockets in the ceiling. The air conditioner vent was just inside the front door. It dripped water on the floor that made about a three foot wide puddle. They "fixed" the problem by putting a bath towel on the floor for us to walk on...it still dripped.

Room 106 had a connecting door to the next room #107. You could see into the room through the cracks in the door if you were so inclined, I wasn't. The people next door had a small child that cried, no SCREAMED, from about 6 to 9 in the evening and started again at 6 in the morning. When I complained to Gilberto, he said he noticed that too and he hoped that wasn't going to be a problem for us.

The next morning, again, no hot water. No problem they would fix it. That night (our second night) we turned off the lights about 9:45. About 5 minutes later my wife said there was something crawling on her. Small aligator lizards and geckos are very common there. She immediately turned on the bedside light and nothing was visible. My arm was resting up on the headboard. I got up to check the bed. Hiding under my arm was a three inch Scorpion. (I have since researched Scorpions on the Internet and this one was the Western Tree Bark species which is the most poisonous, rarely deadly, but very painful). I ran down to the front desk and summoned the night staff. They came in and killed it, searched the room for others and found nothing. Again I complained about the hot water. They turned on the shower and let it run about 5 minutes and said you have a lot of hot water! Sure enough! They said you have to let it run a while and oh, the hot water is the lower knob! Well silly me, I should have known.

We were both so upset about the scorpion and all the problems we wanted to check out. But finding another place at 11 pm is not my idea of fun. They said the would give us another room. We talked it over and decided to accept the offer and then take the next plane home. Alaska Airlines has one flight a day to LAX leaving at about 5 pm each day.

They showed us room #201. This was much nicer than #106. It had bath robes, it had a coffee maker (you did have to purchase their coffee), it had a T.V. remote, it had a balcony, it did have an a.c. that didn't leak, it did not have an adjoining room, it was larger, there was a convenient sign that said the water in the tap was NOT purified, I could not get hot water out of the lower knob but this time the hot water was the top knob!.....tricky plumbers!, and we found the next morning that since it was on the second floor it had a beautiful view of the bay. However, I should have been suspicious when I saw the wick air freshener on the toilet tank...#106 didn't have one. We soon found out why. What a sewer stench after using the toilet a couple of times! When I complained, they said they had no other rooms avilable.

So time to leave, early. One problem, all the return flights were sold out. We could take a taxi out to the airport, about $20 and 30 minutes each way, and wait on standby for 2 hours each day. So we decided to tough it out for the next three days by using lots of my wife's perfume in the toilet.

Now for some positives. The scenery is beautiful. Zihua is more "Mexican" than most resort areas. Taxis are plentiful and inexpensive (negotiate the price first). Tamales y Antoles Anys (pronounced "Onnies") has terrific Mexican fair. Elvira's down at La Ropa beach is a good place to hang out for the afternoon if your hotel bathroom stinks. Elvira's makes very strong Margaritas. Don't order two - don't ask me why. Il Mare restaurant has the best Italian food I've tasted outside of Italy. Go have dinner at sundown up on their deck, which is high up and overlooks the whole bay, order a bottle of wine with dinner and you will have an unforgetable experience.

The people of Zihua/Ixtapa are truly gracious, generous, friendly, and helpful people. We asked one woman at the corner for directions to the supermarket. She said take a cab but don't pay more than 15 pesos, not one peso more. We speak enough Spanish to get by, but most everyone likes to practice their English with you, but they appreciate the effort to communicate in Spanish. So we speak in Spanish, they answer in English. It works great, everybody wins.

Other than the beaches, there is not a whole lot to do in the area. We have visited more interesting places in Mexico, but the scenery here is beautiful. We do prefer the beach areas and weather in Cabo, but that is a personal preference.

Will we return to Zihua? Perhaps. Will we return to Villa Vera? Never. Their published rack rates are $300 to $400 per night. This is the worst value accomodations we have ever stayed, ever. Your experience may be different and you may like it.

Both Club Regina and RCI are going to continue to get an earful from me about Villa Vera.

• Stayed November 2005
39 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 8, 2005

We booked 6 months ahead thinking we would need advanced booking for this hotel. When we arrived it was off season and the staff was minimal.
We ordered dinner our first night at the hotel restaurant and waited 3 hours to be served. We finally gave up and went to bed. No one spoke English at the reception desk. No spa existed. This was advertised in the brochure. We tried to find the internet that was advertised. No one knew where that was. We ended up walking to town for all our meals. That was 15 minutes both ways. Finally on the 5th day of our stay I had a meeting with the manager. He was unavailable the first 4 days. He said that the brochure was not the new one and things had changed since it was written. (the one we had was 6 months old) The hotel was clean enough but the location was so far from the beach that we had to go by boat or bus.
Definitely do your homework before booking this hotel. We would not go back.

21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Santa Cruz
Reviewed March 10, 2005

Villa Vera is a unique beauty that needs lots of explaination. First, the downsides. The location is fairly remote, on the outskirts of Ziha bay. There is very limited ammenities that include around 21 rooms, one small but beutiful pool, a small restaurant and a little bar. There is no sand beach, (or much else inside of a 15 minute walk) and it's not a great spot for kids. Finally, you really need to take a cab to most places. With that said, the hotel is a beautiful little gem that grows on you daily. When I first arrived (late Feb 2005) at the Villa, I thought it was funky and I was a little disappointed. However, after a couple of days; I started to appreciate what makes this place special. It's intimate with a very friendly, helpful staff. The hotel gives off a very real, authentic "cultural" feel that many hotels in Mexico lack. The grounds are very well groomed once you walk the private brick road/path into the town of Zihua, but you cannot tell looking out your hotel room. The rooms are above average but I highly recommend getting one with a balcony which are limited to about 15 rooms. Walking into town is an easy 15 minute downhill stroll, and returning is really not that difficult by foot. However, you will sweat comming back and the night walk can be a bit creepy. If you want to be near La Playa Ropa, this place is not for you. You cannot walk there, but you can take a cab for about $5 bucks and takes about 10 minutes. La playa Ropa is somewhat overrated anyway-- the real charm is in downtown Zihua. My wife and I usually walked down into Zihua and took a cab back to the hotel for about $2 bucks. The real beauty of the Villa Vera Puerto Mio is found within the views. The pool view of the bay is spectacular and the room views are mostly awesome. The restaurant is above average with top-notch views. The (very) rocky beach on the property had a very creepy vibe to it and the access gate was locked anyway. It doesn't get a lot of sun throughout the day and nobody is there---plus the road/path is a steep workout on the return trip. All in all, the Villa Vera is a very authentic sleeping beauty with nice rooms and a great value. Not for everyone but certainly for the romantic getaway. Once you get used to the isolation and the system of taxis/ 15 minute walks, the things that make this place beatiful start to shine through.

• Stayed February 2005
48 Thank motormac
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed March 5, 2004

Lovely. place, great village, no time share hawking.Puerto Mio is great place although a bit of a walk to village. Downhill walk takes 15 minutes. Uphill forget. Take a cab. Hotel has one pool, one restaurant, no real beach, no golf carts to take you around and grounds are really not that extensive. Travel books make these claims. That said it is still very nice.Staff, from house maids to concierge, is very helpful and willing to go out of the way to assist in making your stay pleasant. All rooms have a great view of the bay. Reataurant for dinner was surprising good

33 Thank BugsBrooklyn
Reviewed November 11, 2003

A beautiful location, beautiful architecture as it sits in a natual rock formation that allows cool breezes in with every wave that hits the rocky beach. (no sand beach) Besides the Casa Que Canta, it is I believe the most beautiful hotel , if you don't want the glitz or the plastic appearance of of the major resort hotels of Ixtapa and prefer to see the real Mexico of Zihuatanejo. Near the fishing piers A short walk or few dollar cab ride to town. Very beautiful pool. If you don't stay there, definitely go there for lunch and go back again for dinner.
At lunch a cool oasis and at dinner very romantic. Quiet. Located by itself on the north end of the Zihuatanejo bay, opposite of La Ropa.

40 Thank A TripAdvisor Member