“First Visit to Hotel Irma”
Review of Hotel Irma

Hotel Irma
Ranked #14 of 79 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Reviewed March 28, 2014

This was our first stay at the Hotel Irma. The hotel is located walking distance to Zihua and is on a steep hill. If you're a walker (like I am) the hill isn't a problem but for some it can be a challenge. If it's frills you're looking for this isn't the place for you. There are six floors and no elevators. The rooms are bare bones, and by bare bones I mean no coffee pot, clock, some don't have phones and some don't have functional safes. You can't get coffee from the dining room until 7:30 and the food is a bit overpriced. And if you're looking for a lounge/bar to relax in don't count on this one. I think it was open twice the entire two weeks we were there and they cost the same as they do in Canada. And during happy hour make sure the drink you order is included in the two for one because not all are. Should also mention this isn't really a place for children. I would say 98% were adults and the infinity pool isn't really child friendly. The maids are great and most of the waiters can speak and understand English. Knowing some Spanish really helped.

Room Tip: All the rooms are basically the same. Just remember there are six floors and no elevators.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank Angela A

Reviewed March 25, 2014

The first impression of the lobby was it was under lit, but that was good for the many patrons checking their devices with the free WIIFI that worked best in this area. The sofa lounger was comfortable but being white in colour it looked like it needed a good steam cleaning.
The Naranja restaurant was pleasantly decorated and the staff pleasant and eager to please for the most part.The food is prepared well and is tasty but high priced. If you purchased the American Breakfast included your choices on the menu are limited to the person who serves you. There are some issues with exchanges. If you try to order multigrain toast (which they do have) instead of the white bagette you may also lose the fruit plate or juice which is suppose to be included along with coffee or tea. I tried to order it this way and said I would pay for the extra charge but ended up with no toast when the eggs arrived and when I asked about the missing toast a white bagette was served. The confusion I think can be avoided with a menu that is more readable and intuitive of what an American Breakfast means specifically at the Hotel Irma.
The servers work both the restaurant and the pool deck so sometimes waiting to be taken care of when on the pool deck, is best done by alerting them you want something otherwise it may take sometime for them to notice you are waiting for service. On the first day
I ordered a Margarita and PinaColada but found them all too sweet for me. Later I purchased wine, beer and fruit juices and I took care of my own bevies. Since we were provided a styrofoam ice box this was helpful but the Purified Ice is not included, It costs $2 per bag and a bag melts in a day inside the room.
We had read reviews saying the beds were very hard and requested a bed topper in our correspondance upon booking. But this note was overlooked, however upon checking in the front desk made a request to housekeeping and the result was the equivalent of a mattress cover placed over my mattress. This is not what I was expecting so as far as being an added comfort the result was minimal if any, probably because one of the corner anchors of pad was broken so each night the cover would ball up under me. Just bypass the bed topper is my advice. The bed is not the hardess bed I have encountered in Mexico, but I was a little more stiff in the lower back each morning. A few stretching exercises works that out.The room was throughly cleaned by a lovely lady named Maria, but she must have liked my roommate more as her lovely towel creations were always on her bed even though we both would leave a daily tip on our beds for her.
My biggest complaint in the room was the Mosquitos and noseeums making a buffet of me each night. I read on Trip Advisor forum that citronella spray worked to keep noseeums away so I bought that.Not only does it not work it stinks horribly. Next, I tried OFF the longlasting cream version it too made little difference. I was so uncomfortable my sleep was disturbed nightly and my skin covered in big ugly red welts that ARE still very icthy. A long time visitor at the resort told me she had seen others with this issue and her local doctor had reported that some Malaria was being diagnosed. This really scared my room mate who had previously experienced this. Another reason the quality of relaxation for my trip was disappearing. But some nice people who were leaving gave me a sunscreen repellant spray called Bullfrog. I can not say it worked, as by then I was already so irritated by bites. I advise if you are coming to -Mosquihautanejo- and you are prone to mosquito bites take DEEPWOODS OFF and Benadryl with you

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Linda L
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We enjoyed staying at the Irma (pronounced EAR-ma). The rooms were very clean and the air conditioner kept the room nice and cool. We didn't spend much time in our room, but why would you when you're vacationing in paradise?

Pros of the Irma: The pools were never crowded, and we never had a problem finding a spot. The view of the city and the bay is fantastic! Towel service is very convenient. We had dinner at the restaurant one night and it was quite good- although you can find many other delicious restaurants with in walking distance for a lower price. The Irma is very quaint. This is a pretty quiet hotel with many older extended stay patrons. People LOVE the Irma. We talked to many who have stayed there 15+ times.

Cons of the Irma: Although the bathrooms are very clean, we had problems with water pressure. Many times in the morning we were only able to get scalding hot water in the shower. Toilets/toilet use.... we had a number of mornings where we were unable to flush the toilet due to the lack of water pressure. In other toilet news, our bathroom although it was very cute- only had a partial door. Not in a way that you could see what the other person was doing in there, but lets be honest. We're in mexico and eating habits differ. nuff said.

We heard from many patrons that the people at the Irma treated you like family- we did not experience this. we did not have a bad experience with the staff (except for some confusion/misinformation over tipping when charging to the room), but i certainly wasn't overwhelmed by their excitement of our stay. Not rude or bad, just not as much enthusiasm as others have experienced.

We would definitely stay at the Irma again. The location is great, and wandering down the hill through Zihuantenejo in the morning was a beautiful experience.

Room Tip: No elevator
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We just got home from staying here and loved hotel Irma and Zhuat!!!

Its a great location to downtown-right on the beach-clean-safe-beautiful view-friendly staff-great nice pool-restaurant was over priced but food was good-all and all we had a great week there !

2  Thank KMahovsky
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Nice hotel. Great views of the beach and sunsets, with a quiet, older adult clientèle. The two pools were great to relax. There is free to use hotel towels for the beach and pool. Our rooms were clean and always had a decorative towel/flower arrangement made. Our first room was a deluxe ocean view but not! There was no balcony but a walkway in front. We were sitting back from the other rooms in front of us. We were able to move to the second floor of the tower on the forth day there. The tower has the best ocean views with private balconies. If you don't like stairs, stay on the first two floors. Many stairs there 50 stairs to our second floor room from the pool deck.84 stairs from the beach to the pool deck. This gate closes at the beach at 5PM. So don't walk all they way down after 5 or you'll have to walk all the way back up! Yes we did !! The road out front is quite steep for the last block to the hotel. From down the hill of the hotel the walking is easy. You can walk from the hotel to everywhere in the town. Our deluxe ocean view room included breakfast. Awesome. Anything on the menu served to 12 noon. There was no coffee maker in your room. Free coffee was served at the pool deck restaurant from 7:30 till 8 AM. Not one minute earlier or later. There was also NO IRON to use at the hotel. Good Wi-Fi was available in the lobby. No guest computers to use. One free bottle of water in your room everyday. I paid about $740 for 7 nights. I would come back and stay here again.

Room Tip: Room in the tower are the good views with privat balcony
4  Thank mcwannabee
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Good value for the price. Very clean, comfortable, safe. Older hotel and plumbing was a problem with several instances of no water / no water pressure. But was usually fixed within very short time, so it never caused any serious problem. Glad we were young enough and in shape to climb the six flights of stairs several times a day, which helped offset the lazy days on the beaches. As long as we are fit, we would go back.

Room Tip: No elevator, and our beautiful ocean-view room was on 6th Floor, so plan on lots of steps.
1  Thank Debra B
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Great hotel, much better than we had even expected. All the same information as other reriviews below. Very steep climbs indeed.
I would suggest to the hotel to add coffee makers and fridges to the rooms. As it is such a "climb", it would be fabulous to be able to make coffee in the morning and also keep cold drinks available. The restaurant has the most expensive coffee in town at nearly $3 a cup (only a half hour in the morning of free coffee), and being on the 6th floor, it's quite a hike for a beverage. They also charge $2 for ice for your cooler. And there is no convenience store downstairs. Also, the hotel should put some information into their info books in the rooms, such as a map of the hotel, a map of the area, activities that take place, services of the hotel and times, the restaurant menu and prices,happy hours, things like that. We were very lost for the first few days about everything and just learned through talking to regulars.Sadly we missed out on things because we didn't know, such as being able to use the beach area at Villa Mexicana at La Ropa, and only found out through someone from Ixtapa!
The food in the restaurant was great, but at times the service was VERY slow, despite a huge number of staff.
And of course you have the usual chair-hogs who put towels on all the chairs by 7 am then never return for hours, making people who want to sit there unable to. I would suggest the hotel posting signs that guests are not to leave chairs unattended for longer than 20 minutes or not to be allowed to 'reserve' them.
Other than that, the hotel is well located between La Ropa beach and Centro, both in walking distance. The staff are friendly and the hotel itself is really beautiful. Our beds were very comfortable and the room was spacious and clean. We were very happy with this hotel aside from the above recommendations. We would recommend this to friends and are not surprised that so many return year after year.

Room Tip: Lower floor if possible! ocean view for sure!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple