“Umm... nice... but for this prices, I should have gone back to Bora Bora.”

Viceroy Zihuatanejo
Ranked #7 of 80 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
San Diego
“Umm... nice... but for this prices, I should have gone back to Bora Bora.”
Reviewed November 15, 2009

This is a really nice hotel. Probably the nicest on the beach (La Playa Ropa). Good staff, great pool, great location. But why so expensive? Much, much more than our typical stays at 4 and 5 star hotels worldwide. As nice as it is, I just couldn't find the justification for the high prices. i.e.: 75USD for a mediocre bottle of pinot, 25USD for fish tacos? at lunch? These are small but quantifiable examples.

The Viceroy Hotel Group needs to rethink this, IMO. Its still in Mexico, guys. Not Nice or Cannes or Capri or Tahiti....

Nicer rooms, menus for less money just a brief cab ride away. But you will have to trade beachfront for hillside with tremendous views.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank chisaii
CBdelaM, General Manager at Viceroy Zihuatanejo, responded to this review, November 19, 2009
Dear Mr. chisaii,

Thank you for providing your comments regarding your recent stay at The Tides Zihuatanejo.

I am very glad to learn that you liked the hotel, staff and facilities and certainly was a pleasure to have had you with us. As for the prices please know that these are published according to our competitive set.

Again, thank you for your valuable feedback and look forward to welcoming you back in a not too distant future.

Carlos Blanco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Sonoma County
Reviewed November 14, 2009

The Tides is situated right on Playa la Ropa, one of the more desirable beaches in Zihuatanejo. It is a very attractive property and the rooms have been recently redone under new ownership. If you are going to Zihua and want a comfortable upscale place to stay, this is certainly a choice. But for my money, I would think anyone paying these prices would have a lot of options around the world for luxury at the beach. The Tides would not be anywhere near the top of my list.

The Good:
It is a beautiful location, right on the beach with several pools looking out over the ocean. The rooms are recently upgraded. There is a lot of staff. The food is very good. There is no nightclub or loud after hours scene. When we were there, the place was nearly empty.

The Bad
We paid a discount rate of $325 per night, which when you add the 23% (soon to be 24%) Mexican tax, comes to about $400. Food prices were comparable. At these prices (let alone the $500 plus rack rate), in Mexico, you might expect Four Seasons or even Hyatt Regency type amenities and service. You would be very disappointed.

I had read several reviews commenting on over-billing at checkout so I dutifully reviewed my charges. This was not easy given the confusing bill presentation the hotel uses. But I was able to determine, I think, that there were no overcharges. But they ended up charging my room rate in pesos at an inflated USD exchange rate that cost me about 5% extra. I find this sort of petty dishonesty to be tiresome.

Bottom line. If you do not mind overpaying and are determined to have a luxury beach experience in Zihuatanejo, this could be your choice.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank martin66
CBdelaM, General Manager at Viceroy Zihuatanejo, responded to this review, November 18, 2009
Dear Mr. Martin66,

Thank you for your comments.

I really apprecciate the positive things you mention about our resort however I regret to learn of the negative experiences you had during your stay with us.

Please let me explain that room taxes are established by our government. In addition, the monetary exchange rate fluctuates from day to day and the rate that the hotel confirms with our bank each day may be different by a few points from what your credit card company charges in exchange.

I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback and please know that it has been received in the manner intended.

We look forward to serving you again.

New York, NY
Reviewed November 2, 2009

The Tides is an incredibly well-manicured facility. The rooms are well-appointed, clean and certainly large enough for anyone coming from a one-bedroom apt in NYC.
Great gym, amazing infinity pool and internet provided (although the wifi was really bad, I assume the LAN link worked fine)

However, I will second Mike's review about erroneous charges, overcharges and, most annoyingly, failing to inform us that they automatically add 15% gratuity on all activities booked through the hotel. We did the day trip to Ixtapa Island with a third party tour guide, and while I tipped as appropriate in cash to the guide at the end of the trip, the hotel took the liberty of charging us 15% for essentially nothing - all they did was arrange for the tour. We also had charges for telephone calls which, I assume, were made by the cleaning staff.

Also, it might be that we are from New York and as such might be considered by some as "impatient," but service at the beach was a bit too laid back, especially for the low season. Waiting 15+ minutes to get set up at a palapa with towels and pillows is a little too long. I would say the little red flags you raise up and down to indicate you would like services are of little value. On multiple occasions they were blatantly ignored and we would have to make multiple requests for our orders over 15+ minutes. Again, the resort was by no means crowded or understaffed. Just understand that The Tides operates to maximize the amount of time and money you spend on their grounds and would prefer that you not venture out to the town or the many other lovely resorts and restaurants on La Ropa.

Probably the most frustrating experience was when we tried to save a bit by stocking up on beer at the mercado literally next to the resort. An entire six pack there is the price of a single beer at The Tides and I am not kidding its a 30 second walk from the salt water pool. But the staff was blatantly annoyed when we asked to provide buckets of ice to cool our much more affordable libations (yes, even if I tipped them generously to do so.) I will say, the service at the beach side restaurant was much better and I did not have a problem w/ them charging for bottled water, as it wasn't just Poland Spring, they had Perrier and Pellegrino and the like. Its not the resorts' fault the water in Zihua is undrinkable. Also, they provide bottled water for free in your room for brushing your teeth and the gym has cold water in the refrigerator free of charge.

But those observations aside, you really can't find a better spot in Zihua if you want direct private beach access. While La Case que Canta and especially Tentaciones up the road have breath-taking views and amazing suites, neither have its own private beach like the Tides. If you go in knowing what to expect you certainly will enjoy your time - but I'm just not convinced you should have to make such concessions when paying as much as The Tides charges.

Also be prepared that they do kind of bombard you with the final bill at check out - many hotels would provide an itemized list of all room charges the night before your check out. Just keep all your receipts handy give them a quick add before you check out so you have an idea what it should be when its finally presented.

2 Thank JMS82
CBdelaM, General Manager at Viceroy Zihuatanejo, responded to this review, November 5, 2009
Dear Mr. JMS82,

Please accept my sincere apology for your experience. I was sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your stay and wanted to let you know that we are committed to fixing these issues for you and all our future guests.

We have reviewed the shortfalls mentioned on your Trip Advisor comment and are taking proactive steps to avoid similar situations in the future.

I hope that you will decide to return in order to give us the opportunity to show you our improvements.

In the meantime please receive our best wishes.

Sincerely yours,

Seattle
Reviewed October 16, 2009

Ok, we researched and thought this chouce out very thouroghly. The reviews on tripadvisor were very good and we took that into consideration. We arrived October 9th and left 5 days later. I will tell you that The Tides in Zihuatanejo really is as beautiful as the pictures portray. The rooms are big and comfortable. The property and facilities did not disappoint as far as beauty, politeness and comfort.

But we were not prepared for the nickle and diming of our money that went on here. Nothing big, just constant over-charging (20% if you put any bill on the room), adding (mini-bar drinks that we did NOT get), false charges (unknown room service charge). wrong change (2 happy hour drinks same price as regular), outrageous $5 for glass of water in the restaurant. They kept the free breakfast a secret from us (we thought the 3 rolls and coffee were the breakfast we paid for with our room). Other guests told us about it. On top of $10 for 2 waters (even though this cost is not on the menu) the waitress quietly even tried to only split 1 water bottle between us...

Honestly there was not a single transaction in which The Tides Zihuatanejo did not over-charge or get it wrong. This includes the final checkout bill in which there were false mini-bar and "gratutity" charges totaling over $100. After the first sleeze move in which we paid double the drink cost during the supposed happy hour (barmaid did not say 2 for 1, so we paid $20 for 2 mojitos), we took our cash and went elsewhere for dinners, drinks, and activities. We were so upset by the non-stop nickle and diming that the hotel didnt get any more of our spending money. The other beach locations got our money. We bought meals at Paty's next door and were never over-charged. It is amazing that the 5-star resort is the one you have to watch your wallet at, while the local dive is honest!

OK, now the positive. On our last night after that surprise $10 water charge, I finally went to the night manager (forgot his name and now I can't find his card!) and complained. I will tell you he was very concerned and simply asked what he could do for us. I couldnt think of anything, so on his own he sent my wife a bottle of wine and a fruit tray. That was nice and unexpected. We felt better about the resort that night. I even felt guilty about complaining But... the next day at our door was our final checkout bill with false minibar charges and 18% gratuity!!! I went to the day manager, Helvin. Again i was angry. He wrote down all of my complaints, the dates, times, and details. He was very embarrassed, concerned and honestly wanted to make us feel better. Helvin fixed the final bill and was very generous about it. He went beyond normal to fix it.

The 2 managers were top notch professionals and made our final impression of The Tides Zihuatanejo a good one. Now we only think of the lovely beach and our fabulous room. We were "wowed" in the end. So I can't be all negative about the staff. The barmaid at the beach bar, the cleaning staff who falsly charged us for the room minibar, and the waitress with the water at the dining room should be replaced.

If you go to The Tides Zihuatanejo, watch every tranaction, bring a calculator and go to the management about anything that is not right. They will fix it! Otherwise, this is a fabulous resort with an unbelievable location. It could be so much better. 3 stars but it could be 5 stars if they fixed the little BS money tricks and fired those who are doing it..

2 Thank Mike_O_Seattle
Dear Mr. Mike_O_Seattle,

Thank you for taking the time to providing your feedback. I was truly disappointed to learn of the service lapses that you encountered during your recent stay with us. We pride ourselves in providing our guests with legendary service and memorable experiences and we clearly did not meet our usual high standards. I am truly embarrassed by your experience; please accept our sincere and heartfelt apologies for the less than favorable experience.

I have reviewed your comments about your wrong charges with our staff and we have already taken several steps to improve these areas.

Again, please accept my apology and we look forward to hosting you on your next stay.

austin
Reviewed October 12, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Villa del Sol many times prior to having kids and had been looking forward to returning. Now, renamed the Tides, it still retains much of the charm we had enjoyed. We have travelled quite a bit in Mexico over the years (my wife is fluent in Spanish and I speak enough to get around) and I would recommend the Tides for those seeking a quiet romantic getaway where they wish to spend a lot of time with each other, reading under a palapa, and relaxing in beautiful rooms in a beautful setting. Here is some input and advice off the top of my head:
1. Get the breakfast plan but not the breakfast/dinner plan. We took the all inclusive dinner option but you just simply end up eating too much food and could save a lot by opting for the breakfast plan only. The food is very good and very well presented. Not cheap, though. On the subject of food, the Tides still has by far the best food in the area--you're really wasting your time going "off campus" for something better.
2. Upon checking in, ask if you can see a number of room choices. There are not really any bad rooms there, but they are all unique and you may find something that more appeals to you after looking at two or three. We stayed in a Laguna Suite that included a splash pool. Very, very nice. The maid service is excellent.
3. Excellent service all the way around. Waiters, etc. all strive to please. Knowing a little spanish is helpful but not essential.
4.I read a couple of reviews that indicated folks were a little concerned with the cab ride from the airport going through some "rough" areas or something to that effect. Note: you will indeed travel briefly through some semi-third world streets but you'll live. Relax.
5. Shopping is preferable in Zihuatanejo but not really much to write home about. We bought a few scarves, some wonderul coffee, sea salt, etc. but not much. The cab ride to town is about 60 pesos.
6. Ixtapa has fallen by the wayside (it was a twin tourist project by the Mexican government along with Cancun). There's no reason to go there unless you prefer stuff a little more on the tacky side. I went over one day to play golf and the place has definitely run down in the last twenty or so years.
7. Unless you are a serious golf junky, there is no reason to tote the golf clubs to Zihua/.Ixtapa. I played La Marina which is the preferable of the two courses there. The course itself is okay, with the fairways and greens in good shape. However, the bunkers are horrid (rocks) and the surrounding area is highly run down. I hired a caddie but he wasn't the best. Overall, i would not recommend the golf there--Los Cabos is a more preferable Mexico golf destination.
8. Finally, one of the constants in all of the years of travelling to Mexico is the wretched splendor of the Mexico City airport. It still reigns as a monument to confusion and I shudder when thinking of the midwestern family travelling to Mexico for the first time for their dream vacation missing their connection in Mexico City. I'll light a candle for them.

p.s. The Tides has a pretty good fitness center--5 cardio machines, two adjustable weight benches, and a good dumbell set. They could use some inflated exercise balls and some medicine balls. My wife and I took some of our older workout duds and left them down there.

2 Thank bfletch57
CBdelaM, General Manager at Viceroy Zihuatanejo, responded to this review, October 26, 2009
Dear Mr. bfletch57,

Thank you for the comments you posted on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit at The Tides Zihuatanejo. It is only through your feedback that we can improve our services and amenities.

I am glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay and really look forward to keep welcoming you for many years to come.

Best wishes from all of us here at The Tides Zihuatanejo.

San Francisco
Reviewed October 10, 2009

The Tides is one of our favorite places now. We can't wait to go back. A few days here and you will totally unwind from life's daily stress. The service is absolutely phenomenal. Wake up with delicious pastries and tea waiting for you. Enjoy a delicious breakfast with fresh juices and fresh jams. As you enjoy a beautiful day on the beach, people will clean your sunglasses, bring you sunscreen, bring you daily cocktail samples like fresh sangrias and bring you delicious lunch. The food is fantastic. Then enjoy one of the many pools or one of the various bars, our favorite had backgammon tables. There are great restaurants nearby to try out but you'll hesitate to leave the resort. The bed's comfortable too. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
CBdelaM, General Manager at Viceroy Zihuatanejo, responded to this review, October 28, 2009
Dear Mr(s). Piscesgal,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at The Tides Zihuatanejo.

I am glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay and certainly was our pleasure to have had you with us.

On behalf of the entire stay, thank you and look forward to seeing you soon.

Yours sincerely,

Los Angeles
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Friendly staff, nice beach and empty hotel made for a great vacation. Easy access by taxi from the airport. Great, though expensive, food. Charming down-town Zihuatanejo is a short(ish) walk away. A couple of errors (surprisingly not in or favor) with our pool/beach side dining bills left bit of a bad taste - despite the managers apology and complimentary whine and cheese plate. The newer, more expensive rooms, looked fantastic. Our older (cheapest) room was nice too. We stayed during the off-season (very hot and humid) so got to take advantage of a 2 for 1 night promotion. Would be pretty pricey normally.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr. (s) knjLA,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on Trip Advisor. I regret to learn that your experience was disrupted by the errors in your bills and for the inconvenience that this may have caused you.

I sincerely hope the courtesies extended from the staff helped to make your stay comfortable.

Thank you for your constructive feedback and look forward to a return trip.