“Good but not great”

Villa del Sol Resort
Ranked #8 of 77 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We have stayed in many great hotels along the western side of Mexico from Baha California downto the south . This was not our fist stay in Zihuatanejo , we love it there. It was out first stay in this hotel , we are looking for a hotel in the area to take large groups for upcoming trips from Leon in the centre of Mexico. I want to first say the staff and grounds are amazing. Our breakfast was one of the best we have ever had . However the bed was dreadful , hard as a rock and seemed like it had been there since the place was built. The rooms are not what I expected, everything was white , no pictures , nothing to say I was in in Mexico. A shame because the property its self is so well taken care of. My other big problem was the the water. The toilet could have been an industral one with the water pressure but I gave up on a shower as it was going to take a long time to rinse even soap off me . I waited till I got home. We did mention this on the way out but am unsure if we were really listened to. Some of the tiles around the pool were missing but im sure this will all be fixed up before season starts. I did book this on a pre season 50% off and was looking at full season rates was a bit shocked. I would expect the best bed ever and a wonderful sea view to pay the prices they are asking. We had a garden room which was exactly that , A good size a bit drab and decided next time in "zi " it has to be a sea view.

Room Tip: if you can afford it - sea view
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gypsygirlforever

Reviewed November 11, 2013

I want to thank you again for another marvelous stay at your property!!!!

My 94 yr. old Aunt was amazed at the beauty, the friendliness of the people, the experience of living on the beach all day long, eating your fine food, as well as enjoying the large and beautiful Lagoon Suite. She experienced our stay at the beach as a renewal of her spirit!
Capitan Jorge arranged for a most memorable 94th BDay party on the
beach our last night there. He stood off to the side the entire time we dined and was attentive and provided us with some delicious food and an unforgettable experience for us both. He was like our own private sentinel - the wine was wonderful too!!!

Your caring staff assisted my Aunt to the beach where a chair
appeared where she could sit and watch the mama sea turtle drop
60 eggs. We got some great photos and it was an unforgettable
experience for us both.

Your staff is truly amazing no matter where you find yourself!!! Rosi at the Spa gave my Aunt an amazing massage that she will never forget also.

I want to applaud you for the ambience and unique beauty of your property, the feel that one experiences with the sounds of the birds and the surf, the smiling beautiful faces of your staff, the delicious and varied food, the magnificent beach settling unlike any other, the comfortable chairs, the attentive staff, and the marvelous Lagoon Suites which are so ample and comfortable. Being in a Suite made it easy for my Aunt to get around with her walker and feel completely independent.

You are unique in what you offer your guests and I hope to return to enjoy all that you offer many times more in the future as I have the last 5 visits..

Room Tip: All of the rooms are terrific - some larger than others - most with plunge pools - great A/C for tho...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank mimiSimmons
Martin K, General Manager at Villa del Sol Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Dear mimiSimmons,

Warmest greetings from Viceroy Zihuatanejo !

Thank you very much for this detailed and wonderful review, which help all the TripAdvisor community to make the right decision when it comes to choosing the ideal resort for your vacation. It’s a pleasure to know that this experience was a very positive one, highlighted by our great service and selection of food. I am sure that your feedback will serve as an encouragement to our team, as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Thank you again for all your kind comments, we are looking forward to your next visit, do not hesitate to contact us for any pre-arrival arrangement.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Just back from a one week’s stay for our anniversary at the Viceroy Zihuatanejo and had a very enjoyable time. We have spent our last four beach vacations on Anguilla and were looking for a change of pace from our usual Caribbean vibe. While Zihua was a welcomed change of scenery, we decided in the end that the resort and area had distinct disadvantages beyond the breathtaking Pacific coast scenery.

The Viceroy

Reception:
Check in was a little scary as, although our airport transfers were in place, the Viceroy did not have our room reservation (booked through United Vacations); however, this problem was rectified quickly and we were taken to our Lagoon Suite (ground floor). Despite communication with the concierge prior to arrival, the resort did not have our reservation, nor was anything special done for our anniversary or to recognize that we are Viceroy repeat guests.

The Room:
The Lagoon Suite was a very spacious room with a king sized bed in the middle, a nice sitting area with coach, coffee table and desk, a huge bathroom with double sinks and a walk in shower, as well as an outdoor plunge pool (cool) and additional seating (table and chairs and a double chaise lounge). View was of vegetation and the lagoon; the patio was quite private due to plantings around. Very tasteful art and tiling in a black/beige color scheme throughout the room. The room had ample closet space and frigid AC. Television selection was poor in English which was fine by me.

Note for improvement: while the toiletries provided were of nice quality, it would also be nice to have bug spray, hair spray, and sunscreen available in room for guests.

The Grounds:
Our room was a short walk to the adult pool and beach. All common areas were well-maintained and all parts of the resort were an easy walk. The resort is completely flat, so no climbing stairs or hills. Perhaps due to the rains, the resort was very buggy while we were there (ants were EVERYWHERE, even in our croissants in the morning), but not sure if there’s anything the resort can do about this. During our stay, the resort’s Mexican restaurant was under repair due to damage from Hurricane Manuel which meant there was only one restaurant open to guests (although menus were alternated); this also led to construction noise on the beach and at the adult pool.

Staff and Service:
As has been said by many others, the service throughout the resort was exceptional – not only efficient, but warm and caring. Landscaping is lovely and immaculate and maintenance was non-stop. Because the resort was nowhere near full while we were there, seating at the beach, pool and restaurant was not an issue. Teak chairs were covered in towels and placed under palapas (which are unfortunately disintegrating). Beach service was available by flag and fast and friendly. Bartenders were exceptional and room service (including ice delivery) was fast. The hot stone massage at the resort’s spa was the best I’ve ever had and a relative bargain at about $85 for an hour. Maid service was also extremely good (twice daily).

Food & Beverage:
Besides the simple continental breakfast delivered to the room each morning at your chosen time (do try to hot chocolate – delicious!) a full breakfast menu is available until 11:30, and included standard American breakfast items (eggs every way, waffles, French toast, etc.) as well as over a dozen Mexican specialties. Fresh hot rolls were served with fresh jams and a fresh-squeezed juice that changed daily. Everything we tried was fresh and delicious and negated the need for lunch. We ordered room service one evening and it was also fast, fresh, and delicious.

Note for improvement: Viceroy should include cold bottled water as part of the general restaurant service and around the pools and beach. It would be much appreciated.

General Resort Notes:
The resort sits on the nicest portion of the middle of the beach at La Ropa. Besides the adult pool there are two additional, smaller pools. The attraction here is the beach, the location, and the views. The beach water was very warm, and fairly wavy while we were there, leading to good body surfing. Unfortunately, the rains had also stirred up sediment so the water was not very clear. There also is quite a bit of trash in the water, especially on the weekends when the beach is filled with local day-trippers.

The resort is surrounded by cheaper hotels, beach restaurants, and many, many vendors. A walk down La Ropa is a lesson in “no, gracias” – pitches are made for restaurants, beach massages, hair braiding, and water sports (including boat trips, sailing, banana boat rides, parasailing, and jet skiing) and are relentless. Folks are selling all manner of junk: necklaces, cheap silver, beach apparel, hammocks, low quality pottery, marijuana, and mariachi music. While we understand that these folks need to make a living, it did make walking the beach much less enjoyable than it could be.

The Viceroy beach sits behind a low fence and vendors do not pass this barrier; however, they do solicit guests from their side of the fence.

A great overall improvement at Viceroy would be to provide water sports and some resort activities to guests as part of the room rate. This is the first 4-5 star resort that we’ve been to in some time that offers no free activities to guests (sail boats; floats; snorkel equipment; manager’s party, etc.). Because there is not a whole lot to do or see beyond the beach and water in and around Zihua, some organized activities would be welcomed.

General Impressions of Zihua:
We went into town most evenings to see what was going on near the basketball courts, to have meals, to shop, and just to hang out with the locals. We felt perfectly safe at all times. The touristy parts of town seemed very slow as high season does not begin until mid-November. Many restaurants were closed and those that were open were sparsely populated. There was virtually no night life. However, we did have the good fortune to celebrate the Day of the Dead and Halloween with the town which was a lot of fun and included a great deal of trick-or-treating followed by somber yet energetic Aztec dancing.

General Safety:
Although we spent many hours wandering the town, and during celebrations were pretty much the only gringos in evidence, we felt perfectly safe. There is a visible yet not overwhelming police presence and the town while we were there was full of families enjoying an evening out.

Trip Highlights:
Sharing Halloween with local families; a fishing/snorkeling excursion that ended with freshly caught and cooked fish at Playa las Gatos; fabulous dinner at Amuleto, and many wonderful sunset happy hours at the Viceroy bar. And of course, the Viceroy beach with its “Corona commercial” appeal 

In summary, while we managed to spend a very pleasant week in Zihua and at the Viceroy, we will probably not return. There simply is not enough activity or sights to warrant a return from the East Coast to this location, although we certainly understand its charm, especially to those who can easily get here on a direct flight from the West Coast, Mid-West, or Canada.

Room Tip: Lagoon suite was great, and private, but choose top floor for ocean views.
3  Thank vabeachgirlinnj
Martin K, General Manager at Villa del Sol Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Dear vabeachgirlinnj,

Thank you very much for taking your time to share with all of us this review. While I am very happy to read your positive comments, I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you had during your stay. I do want to ensure you that all your comments will be follow up to avoid any lowering of our standards or inconveniences for our guests in the future.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your stay with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. Hopefully you will give us an opportunity to host you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will personally make sure your next visit with us will be without any incidents.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

This was our second trip to Zihuatanejo and our first stay at the Viceroy. Our experience at the Viceroy exceeded our expectations and we will never stay anywhere else when visiting Zihuat.
The staff was polite, attentive and anticipated our every need. We spent everyday at the beach on our own private hanging bed, reading, swimming in the ocean and just relaxing all while being pampered by the amazing staff at the Viceroy. It was like being in paradise and we both commented that it was our best vacation ever. We stayed in a Lagoon Suite which was perfect for us. We especially enjoyed opening our front door each morning to find a tray with coffee, pastries and jam waiting for us. Our check-in went smooth, we were provided with a late check-out as we had a later flight. I cannot say enough wonderful things about our stay and we are already planning our return visit.

2  Thank Sue2255

Dear Sue225,

Warmes greetings from Viceroy Zihuatanejo !

We are completely honored to read that second visit to Viceroy Zihuatanejo was enjoyable and met your expectations. We truly appreciate all the positive remarks about our resort and especially about the service, it’s very important to know that we were able to meet your expectations. I will be sure to pass on your comments to my staff as they continue to improve our personalized service.

We are looking forward to having you as our guests again and make every effort to exceed your expectations.

Gracias,

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Had another great trip to Zihuatanejo second one this year and stayed at the Viceroy again.I love this place they really take great care of me the staff is great from Dulce Miranda in Guest Services who handled my reservation of my beach suite to handling my transportation to the resort from the airport,and Heriberto Hernandez a fantastic Beach Attendant that took care of all my needs every afternoon at the beach which really helped to make my trip,also the Chef I think his name is Paco in the evening cooked my Mahi Mahi from my daily fishing trips to perfection Friday night he prepared the fish with five different sauces it was wonderful.It really is the people who work at the Viceroy that helps makes this place great not just the resort itself.As I said in my last review it is very upsetting to depart this resort and the kind people of Zihuatanejo to come back home to Houston,when it is late in the evening and I think about this magical place I always shed a tear.

Viva La Mexico
Thomas Harris
Houston,Texas
U.S.A.

Room Tip: I only stay in a very special beach suite which has a great view,the sounds of the ocean,and there i...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank 56003Thomas_H

Dear 56003Thomas_H,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience, we highly value your loyalty as a returning guest and it’s always nice to know we have met your expectations with the quality of the food and our outstanding service. Comments like yours motivate us constantly to do our best to maintain the quality of the service we provide and to improve every day. For us is really important your feedback and is heart warming to realize that our dedication is in the right path, as our goal is not only to make our guests return but to make them feel more comfortable each time and to notice the improvements in our services.

Thank you again for all your kind comments, we all are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Zihuatanejo is a very small town, and there are not a lot of hotel options to choose from, especially if you want to be on the beach. The Viceroy is the best choice if you want a little bit of luxury and also want direct beach access. There is another hotel nearby I heard is very nice, and great for honeymooners, but it is stacked into the hillside and you cannot walk directly from your room to the beach.

We booked a Beach Suite room and it was very comfortable. The room itself was huge, and had a nice patio with small pool right on the sand. We didn't arrive at the hotel until almost 6 p.m. and our room wasn't ready yet, but we went to the bar for about 30 minutes and then they came and got us. We thought that was a little annoying at first until it was our turn to check out and they let us stay late. We had a late afternoon flight and didn't need to leave the hotel until 2 p.m. They didn't mind at all that we didn't want to give up our room until we were ready to leave for the airport. That was really nice, especially since it was raining and the beach was not an option.

The beach in Zihuatanejo is in a calm little cove, and the water is as warm as bathwater. There are people who walk up and down the beach all day trying to sell you stuff and that becomes pretty annoying after a while. They don't come onto the Viceroy property though so it's easy to avoid. There are a few restaurant options if you take a walk down the beach. That's a nice change if you're tired of paying Viceroy prices ($$$) for all of your meals.

All in all, the Viceroy is the best option that I saw in Zihuatanejo. There's not a whole lot to choose from and only a couple of places that can be considered luxury hotels. But luxury in Zihuatanejo is on a smaller scale than you would find in places like Hawaii or Bora Bora. This a small, somewhat remote town in Mexico and you have to roll with the punches a little bit. There may not always be enough hot water in the shower the first time you try it. But give it a little time and it will be there later. The TV channels come in and out, but you're not there to watch TV anyway. The staff at this hotel is very accommodating and they will make your stay enjoyable.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

MJB
Our recent October stay at the Viceroy Zihuatanejo was the best vacation experience we have had, perhaps ever. The location, the food and in particular the entire staff were simply outstanding. The staff made every effort to meet or exceed every accommodation we requested. We stayed in a Lagoon Suite and had an all inclusive package and everything went exactly as expected and represented. Any issue that might have arisen (ceiling fan that did not work), the staff attended to it expeditiously. Having been to Mexico many times over the years and to all the main resorts on both coasts, no one attended to things like the staff at the Viceroy .
The property was quiet, peaceful and just what we wanted and needed. We shall return..............
PS
Just read Review from "Silvie B" cannot believe she was staying at this same Hotel?

Room Tip: Stay in a Lagoon Suite; second level

Dear Janice B,
Thank you very much for such a positive review, especially for your kind comments about the great service provided by our staff, it's a true pleasure to know that your overall experience with us was enjoyable and met your expectations. Comments like yours motivate us constantly to do our best to maintain the quality of the service we provide and to improve every day.

We are looking forward to having you as our guest again and make every effort to exceed your expectations.