Zihuatanejo is a very small town, and there are not a lot of hotel options to choose from, especially if you want to be on the beach. The Viceroy is the best choice if you want a little bit of luxury and also want direct beach access. There is another hotel nearby I heard is very nice, and great for honeymooners, but it is stacked into the hillside and you cannot walk directly from your room to the beach.
We booked a Beach Suite room and it was very comfortable. The room itself was huge, and had a nice patio with small pool right on the sand. We didn't arrive at the hotel until almost 6 p.m. and our room wasn't ready yet, but we went to the bar for about 30 minutes and then they came and got us. We thought that was a little annoying at first until it was our turn to check out and they let us stay late. We had a late afternoon flight and didn't need to leave the hotel until 2 p.m. They didn't mind at all that we didn't want to give up our room until we were ready to leave for the airport. That was really nice, especially since it was raining and the beach was not an option.
The beach in Zihuatanejo is in a calm little cove, and the water is as warm as bathwater. There are people who walk up and down the beach all day trying to sell you stuff and that becomes pretty annoying after a while. They don't come onto the Viceroy property though so it's easy to avoid. There are a few restaurant options if you take a walk down the beach. That's a nice change if you're tired of paying Viceroy prices ($$$) for all of your meals.
All in all, the Viceroy is the best option that I saw in Zihuatanejo. There's not a whole lot to choose from and only a couple of places that can be considered luxury hotels. But luxury in Zihuatanejo is on a smaller scale than you would find in places like Hawaii or Bora Bora. This a small, somewhat remote town in Mexico and you have to roll with the punches a little bit. There may not always be enough hot water in the shower the first time you try it. But give it a little time and it will be there later. The TV channels come in and out, but you're not there to watch TV anyway. The staff at this hotel is very accommodating and they will make your stay enjoyable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cool garden waterfalls, enchanted lagoons and elegant adobe-inspired villas nestle along one of Mexico's premier beaches to make up the romantic Viceroy Zihuatanejo. 46 Guestrooms and suites afford stunning garden and ocean views across a tranquil beach. Relaxed contentment is made complete with award winning Mexican as well as Pacific Seafood cuisine, 3 swimming pools including a spectacular seaside infinity pool, an intimate spa and superb service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Viceroy Zihuatanejo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Tides Zihuatanejo Hotel Zihuatanejo
- The Tides Hotel Zihuatanejo
- The Tides Resort Zihuatanejo
- Villa Del Sol Zihuatanejo
- Tides Zihuatanejo