“LOVED this property”

Ranked #8 of 78 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Los Angeles, California
“LOVED this property”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I recently stayed at the resort with my boyfriend and the service was 100% excellent. I travel a ton for work (this was a personal trip) and I must say that Mexico offers the best service out of any other place I've ever been to (I went to Cabo for a girls trip a few weeks ago and the service was just as excellent there too). The staff at the hotel were all so friendly and welcoming. The food at both restaurants is excellent. Our room (Lagoon suite) was spacious and the bed was very comfortable and the decor was very nice. I highly recommend the coconut margarita : )
We are definitley planning on going back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
CBdelaM, General Manager at Viceroy Zihuatanejo, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear PServat,

Warmest greetings from Viceroy Zihuatanejo !!

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us, we are glad that you enjoyed all the services and hospitality of our personnel and areas of the hotel.

We will be pleasure to have you again here with us.

Carlos Blanco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
North Stonington, Connecticut
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Fantastic! My husband and I just got back from our daughter's destination wedding. The accommodations were sensational. We had a suite of rooms on the beach that were over the top. Other guests stayed throughout the grounds and the rooms were all lovely including the so-called smaller Lagoon rooms. The service surpassed anything I've ever experienced. From creative flower petal art work on the pillows to our coffee by our infinity pool every morning, we felt pampered and cared for. The spa was excellent. The vegetarian menu was creative and delicious. Beautiful beach outside my door and the beachside service was beyond compare. While the cost is also five star, once you are there you need not spend money unless you decide to participate in the many beach activities (para-sailing, jet skiing, snorkeling were great fun). Candlelight dinners with white linen every night on the beach? How could we not enjoy ourselves!

As for the wedding, it was a dream. My daughter and her husband found the staff wonderful to work with and so did we. They thought of everything and the details were carried out to perfection. The sunset wedding and reception could not have been more perfect. From the mariachi band to the fireworks it was like a movie. The flowers exquisite and the pictures taken by their photographer were excellent.

The staff at the Tides felt like family by the time we left. They were so warm and helpful far beyond the call of duty.

I would not hesitate to recommend this resort for a wedding, a family vacation or a couples get away.

Room Tip: If you can afford go for the rooms right on the beach! Our 2 bedroom suite with a large porch was f...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
CBdelaM, General Manager at Viceroy Zihuatanejo, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Dear motherofthebride18 !!

We sincerely appreciate your nice comment about your recent stay at Viceroy Zihuatanejo.

Thanks to your comments, we are able to measure the quality of services we are providing to our guests as our priority is to satisfy and exceed their expectations. Therefore, we will continue focusing our efforts in our staff training for a daily improvement.

On behalf of all our staff we hope to welcome you back and all your friends.

Gracias,

DC
Reviewed August 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Viceroy Zihuatanejo in July/August of 2012 for our honeymoon. From the moment we stepped off the airplane, everything completely surpassed our every expectation. The car service they arranged for us was prompt and friendly. We arrived on property and were escorted to our room for an in-room checking in following a quick, friendly guided tour of the resort. Many of the staff already knew our names and welcomed us by name. Our first evening they decorated our room with rose petals and candlelight just because they knew we were celebrating. We Stayed in a Lagoon Suite and it was gorgeous. The bed was comfortable, shower divine, and the large outdoor patio with private (larger than we'd expected) pool provided a home we settled into for a week. The resort is maintained beautifully, with lush greens and flowers everywhere, you feel like you're in Bali.

One of our most favorite details is the morning coffee service. You tell them what time you want it and it magically appears outside your door in the morning, just waiting for you to wake up. The food was also excellent. We enjoyed room service on 4-5 occasions and also ate at La Marea... what a gorgeous, romantic atmosphere.. a candlelit dinner on the beach! The tables in the bar have backgammon boards built in and we spent many many hours drinking cocktails and just relaxing, playing games. It was just Heaven.

Mostly though I have to recommend the Viceroy because of the level of exceptional service they provide. Every employee speaks English, greets you by name, and is always smiling and MORE than happy to provide you with anything you want. We forgot our computer charger and an employee lent us his for the entire week! Juan and Marcos in the restaurants became our friends when we were there... the most smiling and cheerful bartenders in the world!

I am an event planner and travel extensively all over the world, staying at luxury hotels. I have to say I'm sort of a hotel snob, but this place, as you can see, met and exceeded any expectation we had. It seems as if Mexico is getting a bad rap in the press these days but it should not dissuade travelers from enjoying Zihuatanejo.. it is far from any of that and you'll feel a million miles away from anywhere.

Room Tip: Lagoon Suites are much larger than regular rooms and have large private patios with pools.
Dear Elizabeth C.

Warmest greetings from Viceroy Zihuatanejo !!

It is our pleasure having had the opportunity of hosting you during your recent visit to Zihuatanejo.
After reading your review, we have learned that you enjoyed your recent stay at Viceroy. We feel very happy that our staff and services were of your entire satisfaction.

Thank you once again, and look forward to welcome you back soon.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 7, 2012

My wife and I recently booked a week long trip to the Viceroy Zihuatanejo for our honeymoon. The room was excellent and far exceeded our expectations. The whole resort is amazing and very well taken care of. Being able to eat on the beach was pretty amazing as well. The service was 5 stars and we were blown away by how delicious all the food was. If you love seafood then you'll be in heaven here. We definitely will be heading back as soon as possible!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
CBdelaM, General Manager at Viceroy Zihuatanejo, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear Mr. Josh G.

I really appreciate the positive things you mention about our resort. I am glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay.

On behalf of all the staff we appreciate your preference and we really look forward to keep welcoming you for many years to come.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 6, 2012

My wife and I stayed here in August, 2012 with a group of friends and had an amazing time. Everyone did, without exception.

The food was fantastic, though we are Mexican food junkies already. The service was some of the best we've ever had anywhere (including the US) - people were extremely friendly, genuinely welcoming and occasionally pretty damn funny. There was parasailing, scuba diving, snorkeling, and water skiing all nearby. The grounds were well kept, in immaculate condition, and the landscaping was exactly what I'd always pictured paradise to look like.

The high point of the five day stay was our friends' wedding - which the hotel orchestrated beautifully. They were even able to accommodate the bride's parents' Jewish traditions. Wow.

Mexico currently has a warning on Trip Advisor for safety reasons. We felt completely 100% safe at all times. Then again, we stayed pretty much on that beach. There was really no reason to go anywhere else.

The Viceroy Zihuatanejo changed my opinion of Mexican vacations. I definitely want to go back.

Room Tip: Ask for the beachfront rooms - with the infinity pool.
Dear Mr. Todd A.

Warmest greetings from the paradise !!

Thank you for providing your comments regarding your recent stay at Viceroy Zihuatanejo.

I am very glad to learn that you enjoy the hotel, was a pleasure to have had you with us. Do not stop visit us please.

Again, thank you and look forward to welcoming you back in a not too distant future.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I just returned from a four day stay at the Viceroy-Zihuatanejo. First, I have travelled to many fabulous places around the world, and I have stayed in some very fine hotels. I travel frequently to Mexico (although this was my first visit to Zihua.) Before going, I was a little concerned about the inconsistency of reviews, some saying that the property was not worthy of 4 stars, needing significant update and others saying that it was fabulous. Well, there is probably some truth to each but the good far outweighs the bad. I think that if you are expecting a Four Seasons or Las Ventanas- type resort, you should probably not be heading to Zihuatanejo to begin with. This is a small and relative poor fishing town and retains more of the culture and feel of old Mexico than you will find in the more “touristy” areas of Cabo and Cancun. I came expecting Mexico, with all of its charming and not so charming quirks. I expected a beautiful beachfront property that reminded me I was on a beach in Mexico, not in a sterile Hilton. I got what I expected and more. I chose the Viceroy because I really wanted to be right on the beach, not a hike or taxi ride away. The service was outstanding. In particular, Marco in the Coral bar, went out of his way to take care of me, even taking me on flashlight guided walk down the beach late one night to show me a turtle that had come ashore to lay her eggs. Overall the food was very good, with lots of traditional Mexican dishes and enough Gringo dishes to satisfy any taste. I kept thinking I would go off the property to eat, but decided it was not worth the taxi ride with much good food, thoughtfully served, right on the beach. It was not the stuff of a Michelin star, but it was better than I expected, and even creative (such as the chicharron crusted sea bass). The drinks and food all carried the hefty price tag of high end beachfront resort; maybe a little higher than what I expected for Mexico. I saw two rooms, a Lagoon Suite, and then Beachfront Suite #4. I decided to pay the extra money to stay beachfront after seeing the incredible beach view and the close proximity to the bars/restaurants. I think the interior of the lagoon suite was actually better than the more expensive beachfront suite; it seemed a little more elegant and very close to the pictures on the Viceroy website. The interior of the beachfront suite was decidedly more “Mexican” with colorfully painted closet doors and furniture which came off as “less expensive” but charming, none the less. I spent most of my time lounging on the beach in the excellent care of the hotel staff. The palapa protected lounge chairs were great, with thick cushions and pillows on request. The beach seemed clean. I was there at low season, so not sure how it would compare in high season, but I had no problem with noise from either the bar next to my room or the beach. It was quiet and peaceful everywhere. Now the only problem: as reported in other reviews, when closed, there are air gaps between the doors and their frames and between the double sliding doors on the patios. Nothing seals properly. As a result I had a mosquito problem in my room, with no mosquito net over the bed. I was really bitten up after my first night. After that, I put repellant on prior to going to bed at night and that seemed to help. The staff fumigated my room with something to try to mitigate the situation, with little improvement. The staff did seem genuinely concerned about my opinion of the property and the needed improvements. The property owners need to invest in fixing obvious door, window, and screen issues. It is a shame to let such simple things mar the overall beauty of this place. That said, I would return tomorrow if I could, mosquito repellant in hand.

Room Tip: Note that the private patio plunge pools are not necessarily "private" as many are visible...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank RFinAQB
CBdelaM, General Manager at Viceroy Zihuatanejo, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear RFinAQB,

Warmest greetings from Viceroy Zihuatanejo !!

Thanks you for taking the time to write your experience in our hotel. We appreciated every comment that you give us and we were particularly happy to read about the staff especially Marco who went out of his way for you.
Is the dedication and professionalism of our staff that put the extra touch on the guest experience. We are a property that offers a personal and unique experience to our guest from the moment that you arrive until you leave. It is always great to have your feedback so we can improve and get better for our guests.

The entire Viceroy Family look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Carlos Blanco and Team
Milton, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful property. Great location. We got an amazing deal as they have recently changed hands so I guess they are trying to generate business. Rooms are awesome. Food is great. You will spend quite a lot when there on extras, but you can go into town for diner etc to save money. Highly recommend, especially now as its quiet. No security issues. Felt very safe there and in town. Never had any worries. Dragged my expensive dslr gear around too, never had a problem.

• Stayed June 2012
CBdelaM, General Manager at Viceroy Zihuatanejo, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear atbatson !!

Warmest Greetings from Viceroy Zihuatanejo !!

Thank you for the comments you posted on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit. I am glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay and really look forward to keep welcoming you for many years to come.

On behalf of all the staff we appreciate your preference !