“Excellent!”

Villa del Sol Resort
Ranked #11 of 78 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Reviewed August 7, 2012

My wife and I recently booked a week long trip to the Viceroy Zihuatanejo for our honeymoon. The room was excellent and far exceeded our expectations. The whole resort is amazing and very well taken care of. Being able to eat on the beach was pretty amazing as well. The service was 5 stars and we were blown away by how delicious all the food was. If you love seafood then you'll be in heaven here. We definitely will be heading back as soon as possible!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
CBdelaM, General Manager at Villa del Sol Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Dear Mr. Josh G.

I really appreciate the positive things you mention about our resort. I am glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay.

On behalf of all the staff we appreciate your preference and we really look forward to keep welcoming you for many years to come.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

My wife and I stayed here in August, 2012 with a group of friends and had an amazing time. Everyone did, without exception.

The food was fantastic, though we are Mexican food junkies already. The service was some of the best we've ever had anywhere (including the US) - people were extremely friendly, genuinely welcoming and occasionally pretty damn funny. There was parasailing, scuba diving, snorkeling, and water skiing all nearby. The grounds were well kept, in immaculate condition, and the landscaping was exactly what I'd always pictured paradise to look like.

The high point of the five day stay was our friends' wedding - which the hotel orchestrated beautifully. They were even able to accommodate the bride's parents' Jewish traditions. Wow.

Mexico currently has a warning on Trip Advisor for safety reasons. We felt completely 100% safe at all times. Then again, we stayed pretty much on that beach. There was really no reason to go anywhere else.

The Viceroy Zihuatanejo changed my opinion of Mexican vacations. I definitely want to go back.

Room Tip: Ask for the beachfront rooms - with the infinity pool.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Mr. Todd A.

Warmest greetings from the paradise !!

Thank you for providing your comments regarding your recent stay at Viceroy Zihuatanejo.

I am very glad to learn that you enjoy the hotel, was a pleasure to have had you with us. Do not stop visit us please.

Again, thank you and look forward to welcoming you back in a not too distant future.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I just returned from a four day stay at the Viceroy-Zihuatanejo. First, I have travelled to many fabulous places around the world, and I have stayed in some very fine hotels. I travel frequently to Mexico (although this was my first visit to Zihua.) Before going, I was a little concerned about the inconsistency of reviews, some saying that the property was not worthy of 4 stars, needing significant update and others saying that it was fabulous. Well, there is probably some truth to each but the good far outweighs the bad. I think that if you are expecting a Four Seasons or Las Ventanas- type resort, you should probably not be heading to Zihuatanejo to begin with. This is a small and relative poor fishing town and retains more of the culture and feel of old Mexico than you will find in the more “touristy” areas of Cabo and Cancun. I came expecting Mexico, with all of its charming and not so charming quirks. I expected a beautiful beachfront property that reminded me I was on a beach in Mexico, not in a sterile Hilton. I got what I expected and more. I chose the Viceroy because I really wanted to be right on the beach, not a hike or taxi ride away. The service was outstanding. In particular, Marco in the Coral bar, went out of his way to take care of me, even taking me on flashlight guided walk down the beach late one night to show me a turtle that had come ashore to lay her eggs. Overall the food was very good, with lots of traditional Mexican dishes and enough Gringo dishes to satisfy any taste. I kept thinking I would go off the property to eat, but decided it was not worth the taxi ride with much good food, thoughtfully served, right on the beach. It was not the stuff of a Michelin star, but it was better than I expected, and even creative (such as the chicharron crusted sea bass). The drinks and food all carried the hefty price tag of high end beachfront resort; maybe a little higher than what I expected for Mexico. I saw two rooms, a Lagoon Suite, and then Beachfront Suite #4. I decided to pay the extra money to stay beachfront after seeing the incredible beach view and the close proximity to the bars/restaurants. I think the interior of the lagoon suite was actually better than the more expensive beachfront suite; it seemed a little more elegant and very close to the pictures on the Viceroy website. The interior of the beachfront suite was decidedly more “Mexican” with colorfully painted closet doors and furniture which came off as “less expensive” but charming, none the less. I spent most of my time lounging on the beach in the excellent care of the hotel staff. The palapa protected lounge chairs were great, with thick cushions and pillows on request. The beach seemed clean. I was there at low season, so not sure how it would compare in high season, but I had no problem with noise from either the bar next to my room or the beach. It was quiet and peaceful everywhere. Now the only problem: as reported in other reviews, when closed, there are air gaps between the doors and their frames and between the double sliding doors on the patios. Nothing seals properly. As a result I had a mosquito problem in my room, with no mosquito net over the bed. I was really bitten up after my first night. After that, I put repellant on prior to going to bed at night and that seemed to help. The staff fumigated my room with something to try to mitigate the situation, with little improvement. The staff did seem genuinely concerned about my opinion of the property and the needed improvements. The property owners need to invest in fixing obvious door, window, and screen issues. It is a shame to let such simple things mar the overall beauty of this place. That said, I would return tomorrow if I could, mosquito repellant in hand.

Room Tip: Note that the private patio plunge pools are not necessarily "private" as many are visible...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank RFinAQB
CBdelaM, General Manager at Villa del Sol Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Dear RFinAQB,

Warmest greetings from Viceroy Zihuatanejo !!

Thanks you for taking the time to write your experience in our hotel. We appreciated every comment that you give us and we were particularly happy to read about the staff especially Marco who went out of his way for you.
Is the dedication and professionalism of our staff that put the extra touch on the guest experience. We are a property that offers a personal and unique experience to our guest from the moment that you arrive until you leave. It is always great to have your feedback so we can improve and get better for our guests.

The entire Viceroy Family look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Carlos Blanco and Team

Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful property. Great location. We got an amazing deal as they have recently changed hands so I guess they are trying to generate business. Rooms are awesome. Food is great. You will spend quite a lot when there on extras, but you can go into town for diner etc to save money. Highly recommend, especially now as its quiet. No security issues. Felt very safe there and in town. Never had any worries. Dragged my expensive dslr gear around too, never had a problem.

• Stayed: June 2012
CBdelaM, General Manager at Villa del Sol Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Dear atbatson !!

Warmest Greetings from Viceroy Zihuatanejo !!

Thank you for the comments you posted on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit. I am glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay and really look forward to keep welcoming you for many years to come.

On behalf of all the staff we appreciate your preference !

Reviewed July 13, 2012

We spent 5 nights at this resort. We loved it the minute we walked on site. Our room was large with a king size bed and large comfortable sitting area with 2 balconies; one with a hammock. We booked a garden room rather than pay the extra for a beachfront with plunge pool. We loved the situation and privacy of our room. We had an upstairs room and I think this is the preferred situation. It was an extremely short walk to restaurants or pools or beachfront. There were so many lovely touches to make our stay memorable - the walk around the resort to show us where everything was; the beautiful cold hibiscus tea on arrival; the yummy wake up tea tray each morning; the lovely toiletries and excellent cleaning of our room. The staff are delightful and friendly and love having a chat and laugh with you. We ate at the resort each night and the food and ambience kept us eating at the resort rather than venturing further afield as we would normally. I used the spa twice during my stay for a facial and pedicure and can highly recommend using the spa; both therapists were as good, if not better than any I've used. There is an excellent small gym which I used each morning of my stay. There are also tennis courts and a tennis pro if that's your thing. We really couldn't fault this resort. It's a short taxi ride to zihuatanejo and Ixtapa. I probably wouldn't bother with Ixtapa.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Granddragon
CBdelaM, General Manager at Villa del Sol Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Dear Granddragon !!

Warmest greetings from Viceroy Zihuatanejo.

We wish you tell all your friends about our resort and really hope to welcoming you back in a not too distant future.

Carlos Blanco and Team

Reviewed June 26, 2012

I hesitated a lot to leave this review, but after sending a run down to management, and getting a pretty weak reaction, my impression that the hotel either has financial problems - or management who does not care at all.
Some of the reviews here are good - and I think perhaps they came with better expectations. Unfortunately, we have stayed at some great hotels in Mexico - and had just come from the Four Seasons in Mexico City - and this was just a real disappointment. Viceory is just another level of hotel - and Everything is falling apart. on the plus side - some of the staff is great- breakfast staff! - super, could be a wonderful place if beach were cleaner (this is not hotel's fault; but they could take corrective steps). It can be a very relaxing place as long as you come with the right expectations. This is not five star at all, not Las Ventanas, not Palmilla or Casa Que Canta down the beach. If you come expecting a two or three star hotel, I think you will be satisfied. I am posting a bunch of photos because they really tell the story.
Our negatives - rooms in ok to poor condition, large rips in screens ( lots of mosquitos), large gaps in doors - makes it difficult for ac to work, leaks in two places, one really flooding in front of our bed. The hotel did nothing to fix these problems, and they were well aware of. THe maids left extra towels on the floor where the leaks were! - no comment from management or attempt to fix - so for two mornings in a row - a flooded bedroom - dangerous on the tile floors. No hot water for over a day in our room - again not one apology form staff ! - you would think we were staying at a hostel, work out facilities are so sad - the floors are literally crumbling - really dangerous, very old equipment - 2 out of the five machines do not work, the ac does not work at all - was almost 90 degrees or more INSIDE the room - this is with no one working out,and a strange problem with their music/tv service which they also know all about, tennis courts falling apart (grass growing near net on one court) cracks everywhere in glass in out bathroom and a general malaise as far as condition of the hotel. - see my pics and just not good service in general - certainly there were some staff members who are great.
We went down to Casa Que Canta for dinner and it is night and day - you feel it from the minute you walk in - one is clearly being run well and professionally and Viceroy - my husband and I think the management is either in flux, or was on vacation. We were there for 6 nights in two suites, had problems left and right as far as getting coffee (first morning was over an hour late - and that was after three phone calls, the leaks etc etc) - we never met the manager or heard from him. When I filled out their internal review form outlining all the problems we had (which just made for a downer vacation) the response was form his assistant! - So clearly not a lot of effort. If you have any questions feel free to email me. Do not go on a honeymoon - you will be so sad - so so sad - there are wonderful places in Mexico this is just not it until someone invests in the property and gets some really good management in there. You know its possible - Just down the beach Casa Que Canta is an oasis of perfection - you can tell it is well run from the moment you walk in.
Back to the garbage on the beach - it is sad and overwhelming amount of garbage - see pics - that washes up on the beach each tide -yet the hotel does nothing to clean up - only once in the 7 days we were there they had one guy spend 8 hours slowly raking the garbage up. The neighboring hotels - had it done by 10 AM every morning, because you cannot walk on the beach with all the garbage. And I am talking left over food, really not pleasant stuff. Clearly the trash is not the hotels fault, but there are other hotels in Mexico that use mini tractors and rake up all the garbage in a matter of minutes - i think the Viceroy should invest in because the beach is what is great there and when all you do is look at garbage - it is not great.

I also want to restate - that I took the time to give management a polite list of all the problems we had - and today I received the response - totally milk toast - "we will pass on your comments" - that is when I knew there were real problems. Whoever the "manager" is who keeps posting notes on this site ought to be taking care of problems, and perhaps responding to some one who just had two suites for 6 nights and all the problems outlined above. I would not go back, because as it is I feel like we wasted time and money we could have been somewhere better - they should have offered a weekend stay - would have cost them nothing, but at a minimum a personal note could have gone a long way. When all these problems, flooded rooms, no hot water etc were happening - not even a fruit plate! or a call from the "manager"....so I think the pictures and their response say it all.

Room Tip: try to make sure you have a room where everything works - .... ask about tears in windows or cracks...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
12  Thank selectivesonoman
Management response:Responded July 4, 2012

Dear selective sonoman,

I appreciate for sharing with us your experience regarding your recent stay at Viceroy Zihuatanejo.

I am terrible sorry for your bad experiences at our Resort, most important my biggest concern it’s the way you felt your vacations were not worthy while with us as this type of experience is not representative of what we really are.

We pride ourselves in our Guest Service and obviously we failed you and for that please receive my sincerest apology.

Certainly our property needs a renovation and please knows that we have been meeting with our investors to pursue on this important subject; hopefully this will happen in a short term period.

As far as the beach cleaning is concerned even though we do emphasize our efforts on this important area, the tropical storm we had during those days of your stay didn’t allow us to keep the beach on an optimal condition until the storm stopped and we could brought it to its standard. I can definitely understand your concern. But, I assure you that is not a common occurrence.

In closing, I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused to you. We value our guests as they are the most important asset.

Reviewed June 16, 2012

Excellent resort. cleanest and best service ever! The food outstanding, the the staff go far & beyond to make your stay pleasant. I love there were no elevators , you walk straight to your villas. The beach and pools are not crowded and very clean and exclusive. You always have a view with a quiet and tranquile sound of the waves . Food was excellent . always choose seafood because is super fresh and not frozen like in the states.

Room Tip: The rooms with the pool inside were beautiful
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
CBdelaM, General Manager at Villa del Sol Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

Dear Vicky K