“Sportfishing with Gitana Sport Fishing in Zihuatanejo 6/8/2013 and 6/9/2013”

Gitana Sport Fishing
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Just returned from Zihuatanejo and it was my first time to fish with Captain Santiago of Gitana Sport Fishing.I have been fishing for many years up and down the Mexican Pacific coast and after much researching (And actually I had seen him fishing before when I was on another boat.) I finally have found a great fisherman that is a true conservationist.He not only practices catch and release of all Billfish he also tags them.As you all know a lot of Captains claim they catch and release ,but once you get the fish to the boat the struggle begins to get them to release the fish.Not so with Santiago he is commited to the preservation of the species no question about it.He also had a lot of patience with me and I learned a lot of new things about fishing that never occurred to me,he taught me a lot about being calm during the fight.I fished with conventional gear and caught ,tagged,and released 5 Sailfish and one Stripped Marlin in two days of fishing.Also his First Mate Francisco is a top notch mate.Also Santiago took two days of great pictures that I will always cherish.

Viva La Mexico

in 50 reviews
"adan"
in 34 reviews

Reviewed December 31, 2011

Fished three days with Santiago and Adan on the Gitana. First day went out alone with Adan. Caught and released 4 sailfish and kept one nice dorado of about 30 pounds. I have fished for tuna, wahoo and dorado offshore previously. Adan was extremely proficient and we found fish. We might have done better but I called it a day. Really was very satisfied with the day and didn't know that another fish would make the experience any better. Took the dorado (half) to Lety's Restaurant in Zihua where it was wonderfully prepared. Fished 2 days with Santiago: one day inshore with 3 teens/preteens. Caught bonito and dorado until they didn't want to pick up another rod. My brother in-law and nephew had never caught fish before and each were thrilled with the day. Santiago and Francisco were very good with them. I then fished alone with Santiago and Francisco offshore had another great day on sailfish catching 3 and then switched to fly gear. Teased 2 to the boat. Had 3 takes. Couldn't get a fly to stick, but I will chalk that up to my inexperience. Fish were right at the transom and turned to take the fly, bit, turned and even got a short run. They definitely did their part. I would highly recommend The Gitana and Gitana II and I will fish with them again next time I am in Ixtapa/Zihua

1  Thank CalgaryFourU
Reviewed June 9, 2011

I just got back from Ixtapa and have never been sport fishing. I read the reviews on here before I left and emailed Santiago and responded back quickly to help me get this set up. This operation is run by two brothers and they really know the water. I am posting a picture of the Fish we caught, which was very exciting. We caught 6 Bonita for a warm up, then landed two nice Sail Fish that you see in pictures. They are catch and release guys too, which I really liked. If you are staying at Club Med, they will be bring to boat to the beach so you don't have to pay for a cab, which was great. Book a trip with these guys, you will not be disappointed!

3  Thank Shamzami
Reviewed January 26, 2011

My 9 yr old son and I just had a great day of fishing with Adan on Gitana II. We caught the only Dorado of the day in Zhihua and 2 big sailfish that we successfully landed then released. Santiago was a great help organising the trip and Adan was very friendly and an experienced fisherman on the boat. Both speak very good english which made everthing easier for us. I'm never too sure about these reviews but can tell you that this operation lived up to its billing!

If you're into to CNR billfishing be very careful who go with as we saw several captains who we thought to be CNR coming in with a couple each.

Good Luck!

3  Thank gdot
See more reviews
Reviewed December 24, 2010

Santiago and Adan Valdovinos are the expert captains piloting the Gitana super pangas. They have become very close friends of my wife and me, as we have fished a couple times a year for the past few years with them. We have had excellent service from both of the captains. Their fishing skills are first rate. We have been very successful every trip with them. My 17 year old son has caught many sailfish, Jack Crevelle, dorado, and a few marlin. I have had the great pleasure of watching my wife land sailfish, roosterfish, dorado, and tuna. She was fortunate to land a trophy sized dorado with Adan Valdovinos.
Myself I had the opportunity of a lifetime to catch and release a blue marlin with Santiago and first mate Fransisco. A little taxing to say the least. If I can answer any questions about the service of the Valdovinos brothers please contact me at dangaffneydds@aol.com

3  Thank dangaffneydds