“Great red snapper & friendly staff”
Review of Casa Elvira

Casa Elvira
Ranked #49 of 358 Restaurants in Zihuatanejo
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We ate breakfast once and dinner 3 times during our two week stay. The red snapper was the best my husband ever had. The snapper was cooked whole and was big enough to stay moist. The seafood pineapple was also excellent. We went fishing and brought mahi to Elvira's to fix for us. They made three great preparations and served it with rice, veggies, bread, etc. The staff was very friendly and accommodating.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We experienced a good breakfast here overall. Eggs, bacon, hash browns (not crispy) toast, and tortillas. Fresh squeezed OJ was nice, but the coffee was only lukewarm. Prices were good, most options were about 40 pesos. I'm sorry, I do feel obligated to mention when the server brought out the sugar packets, there was a small cockroach in the container. Let's face it, they're probably in every kitchen down there. . . you always risk it when you eat out. . . that being said, it did give me the heebie jeebies.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Hmmmm. This restaurant gets my lowest rating for my whole trip to Zihua. I had heard great things by reading the reviews on TA so I was pretty disappointed when I actually dined here. We had found the artisan market near the pier in downtown and Z was in low season so not many tourists. The waiters were out front barking at us to come in which I don't really mind but its somewhat annoying. We weren't starving so we went in for some nachos and a shrimp cocktail. The nachos were chips with beans and cheese microwaved over the top then some day old guacamole in the center. Most places we went in Z made the quac fresh when we ordered it and believe me, you can taste the difference. The shrimps were rubbery and the cocktail sauce was, well, not the best in Z.
I hate giving bad reviews but what happened next was too much for me. One of the waiters dropped his cell phone... I looked back after hearing the noise and said, hey it happens. They kinda laughed. As I had turned around, I had unknowingly dropped my wallet on the ground as well. A few minutes later, the waiter came to me and said hey, you better keep track of that wallet of yours. I looked around and there my wallet was on the ground. I said thank you and continued eating. We paid the bill, and as we were leaving the same dude approaches me and points to my pocket and says you better keep a close eye on that in a demeaning way. I felt like from the moment we walked in, they disnt really appreciate our business. I was like, whatever. This was the only encounter I had like this in all of Zihuatanejo. Sad really for a place that's been there for so long. I won't return. Sorry y'all. There's plenty of other resty's in Z that have the exact same menu and will treat you wayyyy better. Adios Elvira's

Reviewed August 18, 2013

I went in around 8 and was the only patron there (though not unusual since it's the low season). My server was extremely attentive and friendly, making sure i had everything i needed and was super warm and engaging. I should have listened to my spidey sense, though, and realized this restaurant caters entirely to tourists-its right on the beach,signs on the wall all in english, and there was a "mexican food" section of the menu...of a restaurant in Mexico! I had the mahi filet stuffed with shrimp. The shrimp had very little flavor and I'm relatively certain the diced green peppers and pineapple had been a frozen mix. Perhaps it's just the night or the season, but i certainly won't be returning.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I've been going to Casa Elvira's for over 25 years and haven't had a bad meal. During the last few years they have gotten a new manager and, I believe, the place has even improved. He makes certain the guests are well cared for, the food is served quickly and prepared properly. I go several times a month when I'm here. Always greeted with a smile. Lots of different dishes.