“Small farming town...”
Review of Villa Hidalgo

Ranked #10 of 14 things to do in San Blas
More attraction details
Owner description: Commercial center of the agricultural area east of San Blas.
Grand Bahama Island
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Small farming town...”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

This is a central location for the local farmers to come and pick up their supplies. There are a few good taco stands along the main street.

Visited February 2014

South Dakota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Love the small towns in Mexico”
Reviewed November 21, 2005

I used go to Hidalgo, Guadalupe Victoria, Sauta, La Libertad, and other pueblos in the area of San Blas to either adventure real Mexico, look for different stuff to buy, or to go to the red-light bars. They are truly special places to adventure to-so surreal. Real poor, hard working locals living without a clue to much of the outside tourist scene. They really enjoy seeing outsiders. Back in the day I and surf buddies used to buy weed from Tony the bean farmer guy in Sauta at night. Now that was trippy being at his mud brick/dirt floor house at night with only a radio blaring out American tunes. He looked like Pancho Villa and spoke very broken English-Mr. Cool, for sure, and he loved the dinero we brought him. If we got stoned there, I felt like I was in another universe. It was all so cheap back then and not much of a police threat. Places like that really make you think just how small an entity we are on this planet, and how numerous out of the way places are without really realizing it. Those kind of places are absolutely in another world than a tourist type area. It feels so different that there seems to be no succinct words to describe it. Life is going on in those places and we are in our own worlds far, far away.

4 Thank Mateoloco
A TripAdvisor Member
“The Saint in the Farmacia”
Reviewed September 19, 2003

I got bug bitten on the beach last August and stopped at the small farmacia in tiny Villa Hidalgo. It was immaculate and well stocked, and the attached home you could glimpse through the two connecting doors was clean, spacious, so bonita. The pharmacist, an elderly woman, was incredibly kind to each of the two young local men ahead of me, and made sure that they understood her directions for the medicine they were purchasing, evidently for their respective children. She was so sweet to me,too, and delivered the calamine lotion I needed. Leaving, I asked her why everything was so beautiful in her farmacia, and she invited me around the counter and into an alcove, saying apologetically, This is my faith, I don't know if it is yours, and there was a large crucifix, above a banquet of white flowers and candles. We prayed together. Where else could it happen but Mexico?

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member