“Fabulous food!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This restaurant is GREAT! We discovered the Marina Vallarta location in March 2012 when we stayed near the marina. It was so good last time that we decided to go there our first night of Spring Break in PV this year. The service is very good and the food is excellent! Many classic Mexican dishes as well as fabulous & very fresh seafood. The prices are very good, portions are large and the margaritas are potent. We highly recommend this restaurant and will return here again.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We were staying in the Marina area, and were guided to this restaurant at the end of the Marina by a U.S. citizen now living there. He told us that all the locals went there--that's how you could tell both the food and prices were good. Every year we go back we make sure to visit at least once during each week we are there. You are greeted with a shot of tequila and fish soup before you order your dinner. Don't miss the coconut fish--fresh coconut with coconut shrimp on top. Dessert is bananas and a kahlua and cream. The bill was 105 pesos, with leftovers to go home with. Definitely authentic and you can view the Marina and it's many boats while having dinner. Don't miss this gem if you want a real "locals" experience.

2  Thank Cyndy G
Reviewed March 20, 2013

My family and I recently dined at Mariscos El Coleguita and had a wonderful time. The location isn’t ideal because it’s right on the highway, but the restaurant was clean and the food was delicious. There’s usually a little wait to get in, but they serve complimentary shrimp broth and shots of tequila while you wait. They are known for their coconut shrimp, so I ordered the filets of fish cooked with garlic butter with the coconut shrimp served on top of the fish with rice and vegetables. The portions were very generous, and we all took home leftovers. There is a complimentary bottle of tequila on each table served with plastic shot glasses and plenty of limes. The meal also included desert which was a fried plantain served with sweetened condensed milk and a kahlua and crème drink to finish it all off. You won’t be disappointed!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Very good food, and a steal at the prices. My wife and I both had shrimp dishes, and they were tasty and fresh - and far more than we could eat. The shrimp soup that came along with the dinners was weak, though.
As far as atmosphere, there is none. But, it doesn't pretend to be fancy either. However, it was crowded and noisy, and they jammed as many folks in as possible.
I'd go there again (you can't beat the value), but not when I was in the mood for a relaxing dinner.
(BTW, they do not accept credit cards.)

Reviewed March 9, 2013

I heard about this restaurant from several friends who told me that it was a lot of fun, cheap and had great food! I also heard it was similar to another popular restaurant in Puerto Vallarta (Mauricio's). My husband, being a long-time "Mauricio's" fan, was hesitant to try this new place. But, when some other friends of ours decided to go along, he agreed to go. Boy, were we ever surprised! We got there about 7:00 on a Thursday evening (right during the weekly Farmer's Market at the Marina). The place was PACKED! In fact, there was only one table left which was close to the kitchen.

First of all, when we sat down, they served us each a free shot of tequila. We ordered margaritas all around at 50 pesos ($4.00/each) which were HUGE! They tasted great, too! Then we tried the packaged chips and salsa. Now, the chips at Mauricio's are horrible, so we never ate them, but here, they were GREAT!! We ended up getting more... several times! The salsa was yummy, too. Perfect for us gringos!

Next was a shrimp soup broth. I'm not a big fan of shrimp broth, but everyone else said it tasted MUCH better than Mauricio's!

I ordered the Coco Loco (coconut shrimp and coconut fish filet). They brought me a huge plate and I couldn't eat it all. My hubby loved his garlic shrimp and everyone else was really happy and satisfied, too!

Dessert included a fried plantain with a sweet sauce and a kahlua and creme drink. Then we enjoyed an impromptu serenade by Marco, one of the guys who works at the restaurant. He blew us away with his awesome voice!

All in all, we had a GREAT time. The service was wonderful, the price was great ($119 pesos/$10 US), and the atmosphere was wonderful! In fact, we ate dinner just two days later at one of their other locations, just outside of town. I think I prefer the marina location, just because of the convenience, but the food was just as good in both locations. Me thinks that Mauricio's may have some competition now.......