“romantic, right on the beach”

La Palapa Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
La Palapa Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 1,097 Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Amapas
Description: La Palapa Restaurant combines gourmet cuisine, friendly service, and the tropical setting of Los Muertos Beach to achieve the perfect balance between fine dining and the warmth and charm characteristic of Puerto Vallarta Mexico. Located on Playa Los Muertos in the heart of the Romantic Zone, this popular restaurant is one of Vallarta's favorite places to enjoy great food in a casually elegant atmosphere. At La Palapa Restaurant you will discover all of the ingredients to a perfect dining experience - a relaxed atmosphere, attentive service, fine wines and fabulous food. No matter what the occassion, from breakfast with business associates or lunch with friends to a romantic dinner for two, La Palapa defines fine dining in Puerto Vallarta.
Reviewed August 16, 2011

This is a beautiful and romantic setting. The food is pretty good, but not excellent. It's what I would get in San Francisco at a similar looking place - i.e. not very "Mexican". The prices are too high for what you get (given that you are in Mexico), but I guess you pay for the location and atmosphere. This is a very touristy place due to it's central location and the prices. I'd recommend this to a tourist with a bit more to spend, but not for budget travelers... there are other places with similar quality food for much less.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,273)

Reviewed August 15, 2011

The meal was good. When the check came we were overcharged if we paid in American dollars. Be sure to bring pesos. I left the restaurant to exchange my dollars to pesos. The restaurant was giving 9 pesos per dollar. Do not go here my American Friends. You will be unhappy when you get your your final check

2  Thank Hdog2011
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We had a fairly large group, 11 to be exact. We also came from a bit of a distance as our hotel was 20 minutes away, down the coast. Boy, were we impressed. The sun setting front and center of the restaurant. Regardless if you were seated inside or out, you are right on the water. Perfect atmosphere. 2 guys at the bar playing some Gypsy Kings and other relaxed tunes. A break from the Mariachi you're getting everywhere else....which I still enjoy.

Food was top notch. I would consider the prices reasonable for such 5 star food and atmosphere. I had the Pacific Monster shrip. Figured I would order an easy plate since we got over our head with appetizers. Everything was perfect. Everyone was delighted with their entrees. Appearance of the entrees were thoroughly done. Wine list was great. Good options for some of the Spanish regions. The Salmos from Priorot was D-Licious. Good other South American, Mexican etc options on the list as well.

Service was incredible. Deserts were a bit over the top. Again, we went with a group on the company's expense. So they brought out everything...I thought I was going to have to sleep on the floor I was so full. But the deserts again were top notch. We even had one of those flaming coffee cocktails at the end that took 5 minutes to make and left the table in awe.

I would highly recommend this restaurant for any visitor looking for a great dinner with awesome views and service and very close distance to the the Malicon for drinks and dancing.

Michael from Philly

1  Thank Michael B
Reviewed August 12, 2011

My family and I have been coming to PV for the last fifteen years. We stay at the condos right over La Palapa, so naturally, we visit the restaurant quite a bit.

The first thing I must mention is the service. After 15 years, we know the waitstaff by name, and they are wonderful at their jobs. When you visit in the hottest part of the summer, there are fresh cold towels for you. There are also beach towels if you happened to forget yours at home. These men show up before the sun has risen to rake and clean their area of the beach. It is spotless by 8am. (and if you visit Dec-Jan/Feb, try tipping the tallest waiter, 'Rampas' if there aren't any places on the beach - one might just appear for you:))

We go there to the beach club everyday. We have tried all of the other places along Los Muertos for lunch at some point, but there is simply no comparison. The food is outstanding. The kitchen has an attention to detail (the most amazing sweetrolls on the planet/beautifully cut fruit to garnish your breakfast/plaintain and sweet potato chips with mango salsa at lunchtime) that other places simply lack.

It is a little pricier than other places on the beach, but you definitely get what you pay for. Having been going there for 15 years, I can say that my family has ordered everything on the menu at some point. Some favorites are: the tortilla soup (My sister-in-law is from Mexico city where the soup was invented, and she thought it was amazing), the spinach salad (my personal favorite), the coconut shrimp, and the fish tacos.

For breakfast they serve a french toast that is truly out of this world - coconut cream instead of syrup as well as eggs that are wonderful.

I also noticed that they are becoming very family friendly with small tables and chairs - with small umbrellas for children, as well as a bounce house on Sundays!

As for dinner, my husband and I make it a point to go there at least once while we are in town. It is a wonderful experience. The food is amazing (lobster taquitos, adobo grilled filet, shrimp with tequila sauce). The drinks are some of the best on the beach. And once again, the waitstaff at night are great.

Make sure that you get dessert. If you don't come for dinner, at the very least stop by for dessert and coffee. They make amazing flaming coffees and the desserts are divine. The owner is a musician and plays the guitar nightly in the bar. The music is wonderful, and the scenery can't be beaten.

La Palapa is the one place I long for when I am not in PV.

1  Thank A W
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Loved the food and views. Would go again if looking for a great meal. The prices are a little high in our opinion for Mexico though