“Pretty Good Meal Great Views”
Review of La Palapa

La Palapa
Ranked #29 of 1,033 Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Amapas
Description: La Palapa Restaurant combines gourmet cuisine, friendly service, and the tropical setting of Los Muertos Beach to achieve the perfect balance between fine dining and the warmth and charm characteristic of Puerto Vallarta Mexico. Located on Playa Los Muertos in the heart of the Romantic Zone, this popular restaurant is one of Vallarta's favorite places to enjoy great food in a casually elegant atmosphere. At La Palapa Restaurant you will discover all of the ingredients to a perfect dining experience - a relaxed atmosphere, attentive service, fine wines and fabulous food. No matter what the occassion, from breakfast with business associates or lunch with friends to a romantic dinner for two, La Palapa defines fine dining in Puerto Vallarta.
Atlanta
“Pretty Good Meal Great Views”
Reviewed June 17, 2011

This is a tough review for me. We went for our 10th Anniversary on the recommendation of a few locals/part time residents we met on the plane and airport. The location was absolutely 5 Star. We had our feet in the sand, the waves crashing and the sun setting. I think you pay more for the location than the food. The service was very good but remember that this is Mexico and you need to prompt your waiter because they are not intrusive.

The food was average to above average. We had the Coconut Shrimp Appetizer and then my wife had the Snapper (VERY small portion) and I had the Chilean Sea Bass (way overpriced but good). The desserts were actually the best part of the meal. I had a chocolate dessert and my wife pastries with ice cream. They gave us each a glass of complimentary champagne for our anniversary.

The drinks were tasty. We each had a Hibiscus Pomegranate Margarita and my wife had a second while I had a glass of wine to complement my fish.

I give the restaurant 3 stars for a few reasons. One is price to value. It was simply way overpriced for the food you got both in portion size and quality. The second is because I have to compare it to the restaurant at our all inclusive and frankly, I would have chosen our All Inclusive's restaurant for food quality and portion size. But it was nice to go into town for our anniversary. I'd go back and give them another try but would choose different items to see if they were a better value. $38.00 for an "ok" sea bass is just not good.

• Visited June 2011

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
“Absudrly over-priced, ludicrously tiny portions...a rip-off.”
Reviewed June 14, 2011

I've lived full time in PV for 16 years. This used to be a consistently good restaurant. Those days are long gone. We paid $198 pesos for the skimpiest little dab of food I've ever ever been served. It takes real cojones to price something that high then bring out such a sad little mini-portion of bland food. We are both rather small in stature and lightweight, and are not big eaters. On the contrary. Nonetheless, this was comical. Our "dinner" (we each ordered the same menu item) consisted of four almost tasteless small-to-medium shrimp, on two middle-finger sized mini burritos, ostensibly filled with crab. (Who knows...it was utterly tasteless.). Then there was a small mound of cooked rice, which did have some flavor to it.. That's it. We paid the hefty bill, feeling like real suckers, and left, discussing where to go to eat. We were still hungry.

Visited June 2011
3 Thank mtngringo1
lapalapapv, Owner at La Palapa, responded to this review, June 19, 2011
Dear valued guest,
We would like to thank you for your comments. We would like you to know that we have taken appropriate action and steps to improve our service, based on the specific details of your review.
We appreciate the opportunity to be able to address these issues and improve our product, our service and the experience we want to give our guests.

Renee Perez
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
“overpriced, bad service, unmemorable food”
Reviewed June 11, 2011

I went for dinner during restaurant week, wanting to give it another try, but left once again disappointed. It's a beautiful atmosphere, but the service is inattentive, the food is nothing special, and it's way overpriced. I would recommend it for breakfast, however.

• Visited May 2011
2 Thank treasurepv
Nanaimo, Canada
“5 star dining is an understatement!!”
Reviewed June 7, 2011

I have never recieved this quality of service anywhere ! The employees took hospitalily to a whole new level, the food was scored 10/10 for taste, originality and appearance. The views were breathtaking as we sipped wine and enjoyed the live music they provided. It is not the cheapest place I have eaten at but well worth the money. If you want a $10 meal then hit a food vendor, if you want a memory of a life time then eat here. I will return to this restaurant each and every time we go to Puerto Vallarta. Special thanks to our server Martin...

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank markwarriner
Olympia, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good Food-Prices too high”
Reviewed June 6, 2011

Good food, amazing view and atmosphere, not great service and the prices were abit high, market price for "locally" (so they said) caught lobster was $60 for a tail! In Olympia, WA where the lobster is not local it would cost less. And our waiter oftered our a seafood sampler for appetizer, he failed to tell us it was just 4 appetizers he was putting together as a sampler, therefore we spent nearly $40 on a stupid appetizer, and 2 meals. I will never go back as I felt like he took advantage of us. We left with a tab of about $150+ for two people.

• Visited June 2011