“Lovely evening in Puerto Vallarta”
Review of Cafe des Artistes

Cafe des Artistes
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe des Artistes is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 1,070 Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
Cuisines: International
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between Josefa Ortiz de Dominguez and Leona Vicario
Description: Place in and old house at downtown Puerto Vallarta, Café des Artistes, with 26 years of experience, offers exclusiveness, elegance and comfort in outstanding natural surroundings, that are adorn by the exquisite menu; carefully created under the direction of the acclaimed Chef Thierry Blouet. “At Café des Artistes, every dish is an art-masterpiece, and every art masterpiece feeds the spirit” -Mexican writer Carlos Fuentes-
Reviewed June 17, 2014

This beautiful restaurant was HIGHLY recommended by our divemaster, Sue (from PV Sea Dive). We had definitely come to trust her during our week's stay, so a visit was a must.

The place is beautiful and air-conditioned (a rare treat in Puerto Vallarta). They have lots of different seating areas and alcoves on multiple levels, with different artists' work represented in each area. Sadly, their multi-leveled, outdoor courtyard was closed for the hot, rainy season, but they were kind enough to take us out there. The courtyard is so lovely, I would actually consider planning a trip during a season that would allow us to dine outside (although, then we probably couldn't scuba dive without wetsuits...ok, well, it's a toss-up).

We started our meal with martinis. A mango one for me. And this amazing jalapeno one for Hubby. And for me. I made him share. I tried to wrangle the recipe out of our server, Jaime, without success. Almost ordered one myself. Next time I will.

The food was amazing. I'd read so much about the pumpkin soup, I had to try it. Wonderful. Even though we'd each ordered an appetizer, the chef kindly sent out two more canapés, artistically created on cucumber slices. So tasty. And apparently, my husband's steak was great, too. I wouldn't know, since I was too much enamored of my own short ribs, and how they melted in my mouth to divert my attention. Every other meal we'd had in Puerto Vallarta had resulted in take-home containers under our arms. Not here, however. If the Cafe made it, we HAD to consume it. So, not surprisingly, we said no to dessert. No room. Until the chef again insisted on sending us another gift: two delightful chilled macaroons. We found room.

Service by Jaime and Carlos was wonderful. They are both equal parts professional and personable. A great recipe for wait-staff. (Sharing THAT recipe, however, does not mean they will part with their Jalapeno Martini recipe, though. Too bad.) We are so grateful to them for the perfectly orchestrated meal we enjoyed on their watch.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,201)

Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

We went for our wedding anniversary without a reservation in advance, our server Jorge and his assistant Marvin provided excellence service as well as explanation of every course that we had. Foods were great but their service is what made the overall excellent impression. We told Jorge that the dinner was for our anniversary when we order, he worked with the chef in order to create a custom dessert for us on a mirror frame!!! That was an absolutely decadent experience!! Highly recommended!

Reviewed June 15, 2014

Our family recent celebrated our 40th Wedding Anniversary at the Punta Mita location of Cafe des Artistes! What a wonderful meal! The service from Raul and Christian even with a two year old to deal with was very attentive and professional. The food was beautifully presented and just delicious. We could not have been more pleased. Our son in law had arranged a surprise Anniversary Cake that the restaurant served on a surf board! So fun! We will definitely plan a return visit. When vacationing in Punt de Mita be sure to make a reservation. You will be impressed !

Reviewed June 14, 2014

It was a memorable evening, the service and attention from Rafa and j. carlos is excellent and exquisite dishes in my next visit to puerto vallarta course back, 100% recommended

Reviewed June 14, 2014

Based on a friend's recommendation and outstanding reviews, my wife and I chose Cafe des Artistes for our anniversary. Everyone there made the evening a night to remember. When we told the hostess we were celebrating our anniversary, she made sure our table was adorned with rose pedals on the fresh white tablecloth. The bartender, Ruth, served us a delicious complimentary drink while we waited. Our waiters, Jaime and Marvin, were outstanding. They were friendly, informative, and attentive without being in on us during the meal. The food was absolutely delicious. Every course was a delight. The pumpkin soup, served at the table from a fresh pumpkin, made you understand why it has been a house specialty for over 20 years. The violin and piano music added to the total atmosphere. The desert was presented on a glass tray with anniversary wishes written in chocolate. Julie and I like to eat out. We have been to fine restaurants all over the US, in Europe, and a few in Mexico; I can't think of a place I would recommend more for food, atmosphere, and service.

1  Thank Jack N