“Amazing, creative, but not pretentious”
Review of Cafe des Artistes

Cafe des Artistes
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe des Artistes is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 1,095 Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between Josefa Ortiz de Dominguez and Leona Vicario
Description: Place in and old house at downtown Puerto Vallarta, Café des Artistes, with 26 years of experience, offers exclusiveness, elegance and comfort in outstanding natural surroundings, that are adorn by the exquisite menu; carefully created under the direction of the acclaimed Chef Thierry Blouet. “At Café des Artistes, every dish is an art-masterpiece, and every art masterpiece feeds the spirit” -Mexican writer Carlos Fuentes-
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Cafe des Artistes is a must for anyone vacationing in PV. You will not be disappointed. The atmosphere is fantastic, modern, yet keeps the Mexican charm. The food is creative, but most importantly, delicious without being pretentious. I dined there most recently in late May, 2013, during Restaurant Week, so I was able to sample several different items. The best part - my fellow diners had different options, allowing us to taste a myriad of items. All were amazing!!! Go...just go!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,265)

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Sadly, I have to agree with those whom have given cautionary reviews. This was our first trip to Mexico and I read the restaurant reviews here before visiting PV and this just did not make my final cut. However, at the insistence of a local that this is the best restaurant in PV and likely all of Mexico, and that we would be fools to miss the chance to visit it during restaurant week, we visited last Thursday evening to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We are foodies and serious home cooks who enjoy substance over fluff or hype.

In short, the food was good to great (mostly great), but I'm shocked if this is the best in Mexico. They no question deserve an A+ for presentation, and the "Happy Anniversary" chocolate artwork on a large mirror was definitely a special -- and greatly appreciated -- touch. However, some of the wait staff seemed visibly perturbed/annoyed (like they would rather be anywhere else), and I could not even flag down one of two other waiters as they were carrying on a conversation against the far wall. I realize we visited at the end of restuarant week, but we tipped well, and the restaurant, to my great surprise, was only about 1/3 full. The patio seating was nice, but it was sultry (meaning little air flow) because of the canopy of trees, we had ants on our table and legs (no big deal, just a different experience from the review that said it was like a rainforest without the negatives), and there was no city or ocean view (so really a patio seating in, say, San Antonio would be fairly comparable, minus the art work). Also, no one asked if this was our first visit, explained there are seemingly multiple seating areas (based on others' descriptions here), explained they do sell wine by the glass (a separate list, which I received when I asked about it...), etc. Those are things I would expect from "Mexico's #1 restaurant."

I am not at all trying to discourage anyone from visiting. The smoked tomato soup and sea bass were especially stellar, and the plating was beautiful. I just strongly encourage you visit during restuarant week so that you can judge for yourself before breaking the bank. As for us, I'm glad we went, (especially glad the visit was during restaurant week), the food was great, but on our next trip we will move on to the many other great restaurants PV has to offer. If I had to choose between this and Ocean Grill, I would visit Ocean Grill for an experience you are not likely to ever forget.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Ok, the service is still very good and the atmosphere as well.
We came to Puerto Vallarta's special Restaurant Weeks in May, where the major restaurants of the town offer special 3 course menus for a special price.
2 complains:
1. We ordered different courses from the special Restaurant Week menu. After ordering the entrée and the main dish the service insisted that we had to order the dessert at the same time as well: "This is because you order a special offer!" - McDonald's style? - Next time we will have to pay in advance?
2. We have been asked if we would like an espresso with our dessert. We ordered it. the coffee came in small cups with the printed name "Nespresso" on it. We asked the service if this is a real espresso as ordered or a product from Nestle. The answer: "No, no, its only the cups. You got a real espresso." - It did not taste like it. Finally we asked for the bill. And - what did I say? - there we found that we had to pay for "Nespresso". We asked the service again: What id we get? - Answer: " Espresso" - Question: "Can you show us your machine?" - Answer: "·Yes, please follow me." - And what did they present us with proud: A Nescafe machine!
Don't say, its just Mexico, its just Puerto Vallarta. We still have restaurants in this country with a sense for quality. And we are proud for this.
Not of Café des Artistes any more.

1  Thank Marea-Lunar
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Cafe Des Artistes is stunning no matter where you sit. On this visit we opted for the lounge area since we only wanted hors d'oeuvres and cocktails.
The cocktail menu sounded a bit on the sweet side, so I ordered a very green jalapeño concoction that did turn out too sweet for my palate. After which we switched to a delicious Malbec wine.
The appetizer they brought on the house, chopped steak tenderloin on top of tiny tortillas,like a mini taco if you will, very nice!. I then ordered the 'shaved' oysters, not sure what the 'shaved' part of it was. Very fresh tasting, in a sauce with a bit of Soy Sauce. ( I must say, the oysters in the stands right after you cross the bridge from the Malecon into the South side on Los Muertos Beach are better. There are two or three stands between the condos Molino De Agua and Villas Vista Del Sol) OK, this review is not about the stands, but for less than $5.00 for six, vs. $20, go to the stands.
Whatever other two appts we ordered were good.
Cafe Des Artistes is an experience, the food ranges from good to fine, but the atmosphere here trumpets all.
Very pricey, but worth a visit every few years.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

We enjoyed another anniversary at Café Des Artistes. After looking at both menus we chose the Restaurant Week offerings and started with the Smoked Tomato Soup for an appetizer. It was presented in a red wine goblet with a cream in the goblet the waiter then poured the warm soup from a bottle in the glass. It had a light taste of chipotle. For our main course we had Grilled Salmon on a pea-avocado mousseline with watercress, almond, orange pecan and virgin-balsamic vinaigrette. For dessert we had a taste of several of their desserts on a large mirrored tray with Happy Anniversary in chocolate on it. There was a large crystalized sugar heart on the tray. A violinist played Moon River at our table. What a way to start our 48th year together.

1  Thank Tom T