“Wow - an absolutely stunning unforgettable experience :-)”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa Cupula

Casa Cupula
Ranked #11 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Vancouver, Canada
“Wow - an absolutely stunning unforgettable experience :-)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2010

I have been to Puerto Vallarta many times before, but two weeks ago I stayed at the Casa Cupula for the first time. My five-day stay was an absolutely fantastic experience, by all means exceeding all my (usually modest) expectations. Even though this boutique hotel cannot be a bargain, it is still an affordable luxury worth every dime of yours. The Staff, the location, the hygiene, safety, food, service, and everything else are the top notch. Tina, General Manager, takes the 'blame' ;-) for CC being run in a very professional, organised and effective manner. Next to her is Oscar, Concierge/Guest Services - a very friendly knowledgeable young man, always ready to help and give an advice. The CC Staff are all very professional, friendly, attentive and, need be, ready to meet all your concerns with immediate action. Right from beginning, I was generously given an upgrade from the room I pre-booked. This gesture that I did not expect at all, was very much appreciated and will never be forgotten, needless to say. From what I read and heard, this hotel is mainly full throughout the year, but this time, being a lower season (July and August), that was not the case. I casually chatted with other guests (there was a younger man/woman couple too), and made a few friends. I never heard any complaints from the guests, everybody was very happy with their stay and would plan to return. I do pay much attention to hygiene, and I can say that the hygiene at CC is perfect. The Maintenance team are very neat, courteous and very hard-working. Poncho, the Waiter, and his Chef, were giving their best to make me cry each breakfast (they cooked and served my favourite jalapeño omelettes!) and I would come back for more ;-) . I adore espresso, and they prepared fantastic espresso from tasty Méxican-grown coffee. Long live the Chef! :-) The luxury rooms with all amenities you can imagine, top-notch gym; the high-speed internet everywhere; the happy-hour(s); the lovely tropical garden; the nice music they play during the day, and many other 'extras' at CC will definitely make your stay even more comfortable. I enjoyed spending much of my time at or inside the infinity pool on the rooftop - this pool facing the Ocean is the perfect place for Sunset watching :-) - an experience you must not miss!
In the end, my big sincere GRACIAS goes to all of you, Staff, at the CC for making my stay with you a very pleasant and memorable experience. As a frequent traveler to Puerto Vallarta, I am looking forward to my next stay with you at CC. Until then, I will share my fantastic experiences with my family, friends, colleagues and total strangers hoping that many more of them will use an opportunity to discover this part of Paradise. Hasta luego!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank VANWAAG

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2010

I recently spent a long weekend (July 30-August 2, 2010) in Puerto Vallarta, my first time in this great Mexican city in the state of Jalisco. This was a last minute trip, and as usual, I relied on my own Google searches and TripAdvisor to select the best accommodations for myself. I almost booked at the Westin, but SO GLAD I DID NOT! I am so happy that I discovered Casa Cupula and took a chance in staying there. I DO NOT REGRET IT AT ALL. Casa Cupula is truly a fantastic, well-maintained and managed property.

From the moment you receive your reservation confirmation e-mail and the follow up emails prior to your scheduled arrival, you know that you have selected a special place.

I was extremely impressed with the constant communication via email with the staff to make sure I had everything I needed to make this a special trip, and to meet my requests.

The personal attention received by all guests is amazing. I felt this way, and other guests staying there during the weekend felt the same way as well. It is very easy to mingle and meet other guests, while enjoying breakfast or any meals at the hotel.

All of the staff from Fernando, the sales & reservations manager, who helped me select my room and finalize my reservations via email, to Tina, the hotel manager, who was very gracious at check-in and check-out, to Oscar, the concierge, who graciously greeted my sister and I and made sure we had all the information we needed to have a fabulous time in PV, to Pancho, the server in the restaurant, who made sure our morning breakfast was perfect and just what we needed to get our day started, were personable, welcoming, and accessible. They all should be commended for the quality of service they provided equal to a Five Star property. They make Casa an extra special place.

Often, when reviewing hotels before finalizing my selection, I look at photos and sometimes the photos are not exactly what you get in real life. Well, in this case, I must admit everything was up to par and looked just like it did in the photos online. I had a Vista King room, which was just gorgeous with a private terrace that opened up via a door to the rooftop infinity pool. It was comfortable, spacious, and the view breathtaking. The housekeeping staff was efficient, and upon our return from breakfast or beach, the room was cleaned.

PV is a great city with history, culture, great food, and a vibrant nightlife. For the adventurous types, like myself, this hotel is perfectly situated just a 10 minute walk to some of the major gay bars, 15 minutes to Blue Chairs (the beach), and just short cab rides to El Malecón – the “Boardwalk” and the shopping district. Some of the reviews have mentioned hills and such, but it is quite bearable and believe me you won’t mind the cardio after eating and drinking all the great food and libations!

At the bottom of the Callejon de la Igualdad (the street that Casa is on) during the day and into the later part of the night, there are usually one or two cabs waiting to take you where you need. While I did walk to many places during the day and when starting out the evening, I highly recommend taking a taxi back to Casa after leaving the clubs, bars, etc. You want to play it safe, and it is usually $40-50 pesos (A BARGAIN if you are from the US).

Overall, I will definitely recommend this hotel to friends, and I look forward to going back in the near future with a group. You can have a very romantic time while staying at Casa, but it would be fun to go with a group of friends too.

You may find other hotels in PV that are priced cheaper than Casa, or even the bigger chains, but I truly believe that you get what you pay for, and you are paying for high quality accommodations and service at a fraction of the cost. If you want a wonderful and memorable vacation in Puerto Vallarta, you want to complement it with a stay at Casa Cupula.

While Casa is a gay hotel, it is straight friendly. My younger sister joined me on this trip, and really was impressed by the hotel, as well.

You will truly feel right at home there.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Elvin M
Goteed1
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2010

Just amazing.

In terms of gay hotels, this place is just in a whole other universe. Nothing comes close. Actually in terms of any hotels or resorts, this place is 5 star. I booked a queen vista for the 4th of July weekend and they very graciously upgraded me to a King Vista. Besides the gorgeous room, the balcony and the views were just perfect. (Smart move to upgrade a new guest! I just booked another trip in a King Vista! )

The service is so friendly and so professional. This is one of the few places that I felt really pampered. The retsaurant and bar on site was also excellent. Food was fresh and always delicious. They have a REAL gym on site as well, not just the usual "fitness room" you find in hotels. This is the first getaway that I didn't even try to use the Gym .

Also, about the walk up the hill? Well, I did take the challenge after a night on the town and walked home at 3am. It really wasn't difficult.

I have stayed at a couple of the other gay hotels in PV and I am so spoiled that I can naver go back. It does cost ALOT more than the other places, but if you have the money, you should not hesitate.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
5 Thank Justneedreservations
optionsf, Owner at Casa Cupula, responded to this review, July 19, 2010
We really appreciate this guest's kind words, thank you! We're happy that you enjoyed your stay and are already planning to come back!

Regarding pricing , we want to address a misconception that Casa Cupula costs a lot more than hotels of comparable quality. A check on an online travel site today shows Casa Cupula's rates lower than every other mainstream 4 or 5 star hotel, with ratings better than all of them (save one whose prices start several times higher than those of Casa Cupula)!

Sure there are cheaper gay hotels in PV, but they are not luxury properties. Check out our Last Minute Travel Deals and compare our rates, and for sure you'll find it well worth the money, if not even To. Die. For. !!! We look forward to your visit!
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2010

I'm always a little leery of GLBT properties...afraid the service/amenities may not be up to par, or maybe too much of a meat market. This place was completely perfect in almost every way. The staff cares a great deal about your stay...they make sure you have a wonderful time, have everything you need....they even took us out on the town at night! Tina, Oscar, Pancho, Aliver...their hospitality is beyond compare.

My room was beautiful...gorgeous bathroom with multiple shower heads, kitchen with granite, a large terrace with amazing landscaping and lighting. The only thing that wasn't perfect was a loud air conditioning unit in the living room of my suite. It turns out the one in the bedroom was powerful enough to cool the whole place down, so I didn't need it, but it does need to be fixed at some point.

All in all a perfect long weekend getaway. A perfect location to unwind...I can't wait to go again sometime.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank BernieD_Chicago_IL
Oak Park, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2010

My partner and I just returned from five days at Casa Cupula. If you are traveling to Puerto Vallarta, this is the place to stay. The location is perfect, just a five minute walk through town to the ocean and a few more minutes to the Malecon for shopping and such.

The facilities were awesome. We stayed in the penthouse and it was pure luxury. The staff have thought of everything from the super comfortable bed that made it hard to get up in the morning to the candles and lanterns on the terrace that made for romantic evenings.

The common areas are all beautifully maintained. Lush landscaping, super clean pools, a great hot tub, fabulous gym and a wonderful restaurant that we had breakfast in each day. And to make your experience even better are all of the wonderful staff. Tina welcomed up and walked us through our room and the building as well as sat down with us to go through the Vallarta gay guide and give us suggestions on things to do (all over a free margarita). Oscar is incredible and takes the time to get to know you and gets you whatever you need (even an impromtu pool party if asked for). Everyone was so friendly and really made the experience evern better.

Stay at Casa Cupula and you won't be disappointed. It truly is paradise with its well appointed rooms, great facilities, secluded and private feel in the middle of everything and its amazing staff that are there to make sure you have a wonderful stay.

I'm sure we'll be back soon!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

We just came back from celebrating our honeymoon in Puerto Vallarta at Casa Cupula and had a wonderful time. The facilities are truly luxurious, with the variety of rooms available and the lush landscape within and outside the property. We had only been there one day, before we found out that the penthouse was available at a reduced price. So we snapped at the opportunity and moved rooms. The penthouse itself was like staying at a luxury apartment, with a spacious bathroom, king size bed, living room, kitchen and large balcony which led to the roof and our own private pool.
The staff at Casa Cupula makes the stay even more enjoyable. They are a very friendly and professional group of people. Whether it’s at their restaurant, gym or Friday night cocktail party, they see to your needs. One person that we would definitely like to single out is their concierge, Oscar. He would sit with us every morning and give us information on what activities were available. During our day of sailing the cap of my tooth came off. Oscar was able to find me a good dentist within an hour of arriving back at Casa Cupula. The whole thing was resolved in a few hours.
My spouse and I highly recommend Casa Cupula to the discriminating gay tourist. If you want just a place to sleep there are other hotels available, but if you want luxury there is only Casa Cupula.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Hattiesburg, MS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2010

My partner and I had never been to Mexico before and decided on Puerto Vallarta given its LGBT community. We were there for 11 days and had a great time. One reason why our time there was so enjoyable was because we chose to stay at Casa Cupula. We're not big into the whole B&B/guest house vibe, but found our stay at Casa Cupula to be anything but that. There is a feeling of being in a larger resort, but with much more personalized care and attention without it being conspicuous. The faculty is beautiful and the staff was so very accommodating.

We decided to stay in the Milagro Suite, which was very spacious and had a great view. We were also able to tour the Penthouse Suite, which was very nice. I'm sure, though, that all the rooms are great.

The only drawback was the trek to and from the hotel. Thankfully, we were almost always able to catch a cab at the bottom of the driveway, but sometimes we had to take the risk of traversing the highway a block or so to the sidewalk to enter back down to the city streets. Nonetheless, it made each excursion an adventure.

Thanks, Casa Cupula for some great memories.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple