“Fabulous Two Years Ago...Even Better Now”
Review of Casa Cupula

Casa Cupula
Ranked #11 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Minneapolis
“Fabulous Two Years Ago...Even Better Now”
Reviewed March 14, 2010

We don't often travel back to the same place/same hotel, but we enjoyed Puerto Vallarta and Casa Cupula so much when we stayed here two years ago, we dragged two more friends along this time for a return trip (we even stayed in the same room - 201). I won't rehash the same gushing review we wrote two years ago because what we enjoyed so much last time is still applicable. What I will add, though, is that this hotel only continues to improve. We has minor concerns that as Casa Cupula expanded, the overall level of service/condition of the hotel would have declined. Nothing could be further from the truth. The hotel continues to be wonderfully maintained by a fantastic staff. The restaurant continues to turn out incredible breakfasts and I'll also call out Pancho, who took such great care of us each morning and really helped start the day on the right foot,and Hector, who is the epitome of the guest-service mentality. The Friday night guest/friend reception has grown and was really a nice way to kick-off our Saturday evening. Even some minor irritations that we had with our room last trip had been remedied - it seems clear the management is really open to and responsive to constructive feedback. (BTW-let me put in a plug for Room 201 - the Vista Queen room - you will be so pleased to stay in this room, the bathroom is way too much fun!!). About the only thing left that I would have loved to see improved is the situation with the gym, which was pretty lackluster last time and remains so today. The great news is that they are already in the process of building a brand new gym with a bunch of other amenities to keep hotel guests happy! Its been said in many reviews, but bears repeating - this is the type of hotel that really will make a vacation special. We look forward to another return trip!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2010

Casa Cupula is beautiful. With the private pools, beautiful plants and lovey outdoor areas. The rooms are lovely and the beds are heavenly. All of this is nothing compared to the outstand service. From Tina, who is amazing to the housekeeping staff, the service is amazing. Anything you want to things you didn't know you wanted, they think of everything. They recommended a place for dinner. They forgot to tell me, that it would be the most amazing place I have ever seend.. The meal was amazing. I need to be honest, I was a little concerned about being a girl, being straight, and travelling to a "gay resort" My concerns were all in my head. I was so safe. I was so welcomed and made to feel right at home. The gay men at the resort were so sweet and incredible. I felt like a special guest, my entire stay. What I am telling you is, if your gay and your friend is straight, take them on your holiday and stay at Casa Cupula.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank DeboraCanada
Los Angeles
Reviewed March 14, 2010

I've stayed at Casa Cupula many times and I can't wait to go back. Here's what you can expect...

When you arrive at the airport, you'll take a prearranged car service to get you to the Hotel. It'll take less than a half hour. Couldn't be easier. When you arrive, you'll be within walking distance (5 min) of Old Town and the beach, but just far enough outside to miss the noise. You'll be greeted with a complimentary margarita. The hotel is very clean and beautifully maintained. As a solo traveller, I love going here because I always meet great people, something that wouldn't happen in a larger hotel. The staff is also friendly and helpful. There's so much to do in Puerto Vallarta (on my last trip a bunch of us went sailing for a day; I hear the zip cords are fun too), but basically I love to go to CC to chill. Get up in the am, have breakfast on a terrace overlooking the sea, hang by the pool with friends and drinks, have lunch poolside, and head into town at night for great restaurants and bars/clubs. From what I understand, CC is putting in a new gym now, which from the plans, looks like it'll be terrific. What everybody seems to like most is watching the sunset from the pool on the roof of the hotel. It's also a romantic setting and is a great place for couples. I've stayed in a number of the rooms and have always been pleased. In short, this review is a total rave. Enjoy!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
New York
Reviewed March 13, 2010

My partner and I have been to puerto vallarta 3 times and this was our first time staying at Casa Cupula. The penthouse was beautiful, the views were great and the service was incredible! It was also great because you get to meet the other people staying there. There are different functions during the week to meet all of the guests. We cant wait go to back to puerto vallarta and we will definitely stay here again. Job well done to the owner and all of the staff at Casa Cupula!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
Reviewed March 13, 2010

I've been to a number of hotels in Puerto Vallarta and have traveled back on vacation several times, but far and away the best service, food, and accommodations in town for gay travelers was Casa Cupula. I've recommended it to friends who had similar experiences. It was a very friendly environment (the staff and other guests). There are some gay hotels that can be trashy for party boys but this was not that--sophisticated and warm but not snobbish. The hotel rooms we stayed in were very comfortable, well appointed, and well attended to. And the views of the ocean from the mountainside setting were very beautiful.

Just noticed the cantankerous review below, and while I know guests at some hotels can have an isolated bad experience, it seems like this person stayed at a completely different hotel than the one I visited the last 3 times that I was in PV. Honestly, when I return to Puerto Vallarta, Casa Cupula is probably the place I'd always consider first because the experience was consistently wonderful and relaxing.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Seattle
Reviewed March 3, 2010

Our room had broken furniture and terrace doors, there were ants, towels and shower soaps were not replaced. The exterior looks nothing like the pictures and was run down with paint peeling and stains all around the pool. The rooftop hot tub had a great location but was about 70 degrees (too cold), and they wouldn't turn it up. Aside from a few, the staff was unfriendly and unhelpful. And they made a mistake on billing my room to a friend's credit card, despite me being very clear about having the charges billed to my credit card. Upon requesting this be resolved, they insisted I never made the request, and said they would only make the changes if I pay a $50 handling fee. What alleged 5 star hotel treats its clients like that? Indeed, some of the worst customer service I've experienced. I will never go back, and strongly recommend you don't either.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
11 Thank GhostRider1
optionsf, owner at Casa Cupula, responded to this review, March 11, 2010
This review was posted by the guest as a previously threatened retribution to the imposition of a standard USD$50 service charge for a reservation cancellation. Hence, management of Casa Cupula does not believe this review warrants a reply here. For further information, please visit our website.
Boston, MA
Reviewed March 2, 2010

Just spent an amazing five nights at Casa Cupula. Words cannot describe how wonderful the experience was: each of our expectations were exceeded, starting with the fresh, tart margaritas and delicious guacamole that greeted us upon our arrival!

The hotel itself is incredibly beautiful, and the experience is only enhanced by the warm, generous staff that tend to your every need efficiently and graciously. From Pancho, the charismatic breakfast server, to Tina and Oscar, the reliable Manager/ Concierge, every part of our vacation was stress free and enjoyable. Each and every member of the staff seemed genuinely interested in our total enjoyment, and for that we say thank you!

Before we traveled to Puerto Vallarta (this was our first time), many friends expressed concern that we were not staying "on the beach", and the walk from Casa Cupula to the beach/ town would be long. Let me just say, this could not be farther from the truth. The walk into/ out of town and to/ from the beach area was, at most, 5 minutes. It is uphill, but nothing that was unmanageable whatsoever. If need be, taxis are more than plentiful, and stand ready to whip you up the hill for no more than $5! We walked home every night, and enjoyed the fresh air and the chance to burn off a few calories from all the Pacifico and fish tacos! In fact, Casa Cupula is ideally situated so that you enjoy total peace and quiet all night! Things can be rowdy and loud at the beach front properties, and we enjoyed sitting on our terrace, watching the sunset, listening to the birds. At night, we slept with the terrace doors open, and the breeze and the peacefulness was simply wonderful. Do not hesitate to stay here just because it is not "on the beach."

Also, as an aside, don't miss the sunset from the infinity pool on the top level of the hotel. Again, thanks to the amazing staff for looking after us! We will definitely return soon!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple