“Manage your expectations and you'll have a nice trip.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Cupula

Casa Cupula
Ranked #13 of 127 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
New York1
“Manage your expectations and you'll have a nice trip.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2009

My partner and I stayed at Casa Cupula in late March, 2009 as part of a large birthday celebration (we were about 85% of the room capacity just for us). We were excited about visiting PVR and Casa Cupula in particular since we'd heard how luxurious the property was.

PVR was a mellow place with a unique vibe. The hotel is a good distance from the old part of town which is where the charm and 'action' is, but walkable at all times of day. Night time is a bit treacherous as you have to walk in a ditch along a high trafficked road - in the dark - but if you are sober enough you'll be fine. If not, take an inexpensive cab. You can definitely walk to/from the beach in the old town, but you wouldn't want to run back and forth every hour...it's too much of a hike.

I've waited 2 months to review this hotel, as I've hoped to mellow. Unfortunately, my memories remain pretty blah - the property itself was a bit of a letdown. We were in Casa Sevilla which is not even officially the hotel. Not without it's charms, the room was far from luxurious. We were discouraged from running the airconditioning all day long, but when it wasn't on the room had a bad mildew smell. Also worth noting is that luxury to me means no dusty surfaces, no scratchy towels, and no bars on windows. Maybe other people have different standards. I felt compelled to lock my room door AT ALL TIMES which also does not make me feel like I am in a luxury environment. Our room opened up to a community pool which also creeped me out - as did my next door neighbor who quickly befriended a homeless youth who stayed in his room the entire trip. Enough said..

Certain things are very very nice, such as the newest additions and suites. Certain things are run down, such as the pool chairs / cushions / etc. Again, not luxury.

Luxury to me also means peace and quiet - which is something you will find very little of from 8AM - 6PM every day but Sunday, as construction on the other side of the "canyon" is loud and non-stop. It's not the hotel's fault that condos are being built, but it is still annoying.

The most outstanding thing I remember was the service from the restaurant staff - from Elliot the chef (most accomodating!) to the server guys knowing our names, that part was a pleasure. They really know how to upsell food product, meaning before you know it the food and drink bills will really add up. Sometimes you don't feel like walking to town where delicious food at nice places (not street carts!) is half the cost. Buit prices aren't these guys' fault and they were really great.

The concierge wasn't as good as hyped - our boat tour started way late, and I had to BEG to be taken to the airport on time using hotel arranged shuttle service (paying a higher price than originally quoted, by the way). Another complaint is that we were promised free admission to some nightclubs that never materialized. $5 or $10 US later I really don't care but it's the principle that counts - please don't promise something if it isn't true. Apparently this wasn't an isolated incident.

Overall
I would say the experience could have been better. If I were to return to PVR and stay at the old part of town, I'd probably stay at this place - but only because the other hotels (like Blue Chair) seem undesirable. But I think I'd rather pay a little more money and stay at a true luxusy hotel in the new part of town. Basically, just because this is a gay themed hotel, I don't think we should compromise on what constitutes true luxury. I think too many reviewers below gave the place great reviews only because they were google eyed because they were on vacation, or don't get out much.

Either way - have fun, just manage your expectations. I wish I had!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank KikiNYC1
optionsf, Owner at Casa Cupula, responded to this review, July 1, 2009
We would like to summarize the key points of this review, so potential guests can manage their expectations:
1) keep your hotel room locked at all times (when would you NOT do this?)
2) Pools creep this guest out (we rarely receive complaints about too many pools)
3) As do other guests' choices in companions (guests make their own choices)
4) Do not run back and forth to the beach every hour (most don't)
5) Take inexpensive taxis when you are drunk (we agree)
5) Be careful to order too much delicious and convenient food and drink, because you have to pay for it (as is true in most hotels)
6) Bars on the windows are a bad idea for security. (They are pretty standard in first floor rooms all over Latin America, and in New York City too, and keep guests safe.)

Tongue now being pulled out of cheek, of course you need to manage your expectations even on vacation. Our 'run down" pool chairs and cushions have already been replaced. Towels are replaced constantly, we apologize if his were not up to standard, but new ones can always be requested.

Construction is an ongoing issue in all parts of fast-growing Puerto Vallarta which the economy has mostly managed to resolve. We offer a no-questions-asked construction noise guarantee for anyone with concerns. Also, construction has its benefits. They are building a new convenience store across the street to fill in the city's (not our) ditch in the road and add tons of lighting (too much in our opinion).

And we'll be happy to welcome you back!

Questions are always welcome about specifics at reservations@casacupula.com.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Irving Texas by way of California by way of the Caribbean
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2009

The owners and staff of Casa Cupula truly went above and beyond today. A quick history. My partner and I discovered this amazing upscale out of the world resort last year. We actually rekindled and reconnected at Casa Cupula. From the attention to detail with the room, property and care we were impressed. I’m a very high maintenance individual and Casa Cupula exceeded my expectations.

Fast forward to today, Monday, April 27, 2009. The news which dominates that air waves unfortunately is about the swine flu which has hit Mexico and apparently spreading all over the globe. By time someone reads this days, weeks, months , years from now they will have had the facts to see if us (The U.S) over-reacted or not regarding this epidemic.

I literally had to fight Priceline then Frontier Airlines regarding my initial trip to Puerto Vallarta May 3rd – May 8th, 2009. The airline went ahead and waived my fees and gave me credit to use the ticket within the next year.

I notified Casa Cupula and they worked with me and did the fair and just thing. As I shared with them, I am a person of my word and I truly hope that they are around in a few months when I hope to return to their amazing property.
Class Act all the way!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelGuy16
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2009

I was with a small group who stayed there for almost a week. First, the plusses - Puerto Vallarta is lovely and the hotel is in a nice location. The view from my patio was fantastic. The little cafe/dining area is run pretty well and the waiters are quick and polite. The pool is small but big enough for the size of the hotel. Very few guests used it while I was there. The negatives - someone said in his review that the rooms are nicer than the pictures on the web site. I did not find that to be true. I had a Vista Queen room. It was clean enough but the furniture and linens were old and I was disappointed by the overall shabby appearance of the room. I was in the older section of the hotel, though. I understand that the new part is clean and modern. Also, my room was over the dining area. That wasn't a problem to me because I am an early riser. The noise from the kitchen would be a major problem for anyone who wanted to sleep late. Also, the noise from nearby construction is unGodly with no end in sight. After a while you got used to it but it tended to be distracting when we were trying to relax. Be aware of that. Check-in and check-out were a bit confusing. They charge you 5000 pesos upon registering to cover incidentals. That's ok but they should let you know before you get there. They apparently only had one computer but it was locked in the safe the entire time I was there. When it was time to leave, the ride to the airport was over an hour late. That made for a harrowing and anxious trip to the airport. Not a great way to end a vacation like that. I have to say that Casa Cupula is a quaint little hotel but I was not impressed with the main staff's professionalism. It was all pretty helter skelter. Promised discounts at local places did not materialize, either. I understand they were going through "a change in management" while we were there. I probably will not stay there again. It's quite expensive and, truthfully, the level of service did not equal the expense.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank SteveTheTraveler
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2009

We couldn’t have been more pleased with our stay. The staff goes out of their way to learn your names, visit with you and make sure you always feel welcomed and appreciated without being intrusive. Our room was above the dining room so at times you could hear people but for the most part the hotel was quiet and relaxing, even though I believe it was full. The rooftop spa/terrace is a beautiful place to retreat to in the afternoon/evening and there are a couple of pools to use during the day. The food is excellent and I highly recommend breakfast – on Friday nights there is a cocktail reception and on Sunday morning there was a complimentary champagne brunch. I didn’t find the walk to the beach/city difficult at all and was much closer than I anticipated. The fitness center is a work in progress but had enough equipment to do a decent work-out. I realize this is a very flattering review and I’m trying to think of some constructive criticism, but the only thing I can think of us is that I wish the safe in my room was electronic instead of a padlock. Other than that, everything was perfect and I’ll continue to stay here when in Puerto Vallarta.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2009

My partner and I had a wonderful 4 night stay at Casa Cupula! We were the only lesbians there at the time and everyone, including all the guests were extremely friendly and approachable. We even got invited to a cocktail party by other guests in their suite on Saturday night and ... it was great! This place exceeded our expecations and the rooms are even better in person than on their website. The staff there is incredible as well!

P.S. If you by chance are looking for THE best tacos al pastor you have EVER had go to Pepe's. Not the Pepe's like we know here in the states. It's just past the downtown strip of stores and restaurants ... about 5 blocks past the McDonalds across the street from a gas station... you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
vancouver,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2009

My wife, sister-in-law, and I stayed at Casa Cupula one week in January 2009 to help celebrate our brother-in-law's birthday. Our accommodations were spectacular. We had the opportunity to see all of the suites as well as a large number of their other rooms that people in the birthday group occupied. Each suite/room was individually decorated with unique art. All of them also had outside patio's. The beds were incredibly comfortable and the rooms were also very clean. We had daily maid service. Initially my wife and I stayed in the Milagro Suite. Later in the week we moved to a deluxe king to be closer to our sister-in law.

Perhaps the best aspect of the hotel was the staff both at the front desk (Oscar, Danny, Krista & Tina) and at the restaurant (Oscar,Luis, and Elliot). We were the only "straight" people staying at the hotel. All the staff and other guests were very friendly and helpful. We made several new friends, and it was easy to mingle at breakfast or at several sponsored or catered events at Casa Cupula. Breakfast and lunch were exceptional! I would without exception recommend Casa Cupola to any travelers visiting the area.

• Liked — Friendly and welcoming staff.
  • Disliked — Lots of stairs
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank comjsmac
Ottawa, On
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2009

I don't think I can fully explain how wonderful every part of my experience was at Casa Cupula, but I'm going to try.

As soon as I arrived, I was greeted by a friendly face, who took care of my luggage and bags. I was ushered to their out door dining area where I was treated to a spectacular view and a drink of my choice along with a light snack, all gratis. It was there that we handled all of the necessary paper work and check in stuff. After which, TIna told me all that I needed to know about the hotel, staff, fellow guests, and Puerto Vallarta.

After my much appreciated beer, I was escorted to my suite. As I entered I gasped just a little... it looked 30 times better in real life than it did on Casa Cupulas' website. The first thing I noticed was my incredible view of the ocean and the mountains. The second was the beautifuly appointed furnishings, tasteful artwork, and my own infinity pool on my deck! Never mind the beautiful, HUGE bathroom with a shower big enough for 8 people (don't ask, just trust me) This room, and the entire hotel for that matter must be seen in person!

The next day, I ordered room service. In less than 15 minutes, I had a wonderful meal delivered to my room. How nice it was to eat breakfast on my own balcony with a view to die for.
That same evening, I was invited to a weekly cocktail party hosted by all the staff, for the guests. After a few trips to the free open bar and snack table, I had the pleasure of getting to know Oscar, Danny, Jose and a few other staff, along with the other guests of the hotel. As I was traveling alone, this was a nice way to get to know a few new faces and meet friends. After cocktails we all went to the clubs in town where we all had a great time! The clubs in PV are incredible,

The following days at Casa Cupula were just as magical as the first. The staff went beyond treating me like a "valued customer", and treated me like a friend; all the while, maintaining a measure of professionalism and service that is unlike any other place I've ever been.

I've been everywhere, and have stayed everywhere, but Casa Cupula is in a class all of it's own.

It's worth noting to all that have never been to Puerto Vallarta or to Casa Cupula that even though the maps you might consult will have the hotel appear to be far away from everything, the hotel is an easy 4 minute walk to pretty much all the shops, restaurants, bars, clubs, and beaches. You really must stay at Casa Cupula on your next trip to PV; I certainly will!

• Liked — the staff and the view
  • Disliked — too far away from my house
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)