I would love to give Casa Cupula a great review given the people were generally very friendly, the common areas of the main hotel were nice, and the the location is pretty good--- a short stroll into town and a fine walk back, or an easy and cheap cab ride ($5). I really do like this place, in theory.
But, the stay was totally ruined by the room quality. Despite what we had booked, my partner and I were put in the dreadful room 204 in Villa Sevilla, their annex property that is just down the road from the main hotel (only 50 yards or so but via a separate entrance). The very small room was entered via a sliding door, and didn't even have a door to the bathroom. Yes, you read that right--- no door to the bathroom with a toilet in direct site from the bed and no chance at privacy. It was very far from what you would expect at a place that advertises itself as a "luxurious boutique hotel" and as having "sophisticated interior design in each room." The ceiling fan was rusting, and the room came fully equipped with a musty smell so strong that all our clothes smelled like Villa Sevilla when we returned home. Definitely not luxurious, and barely tolerable. Lastly, there was no view, unless you count our sighting of two guys doing you know what in the little splash pool out front our sliding door. That didn't exactly get us excited about going for a dip in the pool.
At risk of sounding overly demanding, we kindly asked to be moved to a room with an enclosed bathroom, but were told the hotel was totally booked. I won't rant about the details of the mixup with our booking as the hotel blamed it on Expedia (and of course Expedia blamed it on the hotel), but regardless of who was at fault we certainly didn't end up in the room we booked, or anything close to it. The lady we spoke with about this, Tina, was perfectly nice and apologetic, but we were rather surprised she didn't offer us anything at all to help compensate for the mixup. We understood they were booked and couldn't move us elsewhere, but being told to just contact Expedia wasn't exactly what one would expect in this situation---most hotels would offer you a voucher for breakfast or a cocktail at the bar or something to help soothe the pain of ending up with a severlely downgraded room from what was booked.
While I certainly won't ever return to Casa Cupula, I'd say you can probably have a fine time here, just make sure you are truly confirmed for a room in the main building and set your expectations appropriately when it comes to your expectations for a "luxury boutique hotel."
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Casa Cupula is one of the most luxurious boutique hotel resorts in the world, welcoming gay men, lesbians, and friends of our community. We offer the services of a five-star mainstream resort in four boutique properties: Casa Cupula, luxurious Villa Sevilla (great for groups), Private Residences and Owner's Villa. Gourmet food compliments four pools, a gym and sophisticated modern design. Located in Amapas, walking distance to gay beach clubs, nightlife, restaurants and cafes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your Casa Cupula reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Cupula Puerto Vallarta
- Casa Cupula Hotel Puerto Vallarta