Simply put, this place is great. I traveled to Puerto Vallarta as a single, mid-thirties gay man with a group of friends, but didn’t want to stay up north in the resort area with them. I wanted the chance to meet and mingle with other great people if I wanted, or nap the morning away in peace and solitude, all within a short walk to the beach, restaurant, bars and shops. So, I booked a room here based upon advice from a trusted, hip friend in NYC. Life is too short to be limited to “manufactured” mega-resort experiences when you can be in the middle of creating your own, unique experience in the historic/romantic zone of Puerto Vallarta.
I expect cleanliness, comfy beds, great service, staff, good food, and a good vibe - and even secretly wish for showers that you don’t want to get out of – when I book a more “affluent” hotel such as this one. And, Casa Cupula delivered upon every point.
I’ve traveled the world for work and fun, and have been to the PV area many times and stayed a few different places. Absent of renting your own villa with a large group (chef and all), this is the next best thing for singles, couples or small groups. The “grounds” and rooms are all so well maintained and provide a unique experience upon every visit (I’ve been twice to Casa Cupula). You have the choice to be social and mingle in the common restaurant or pool areas, or to retreat for some solitude or spa services in your room (or one of the many semi-private rooftop pools). The restaurant is great and convenient and offers a lot of options with some solid discounts for guests of the hotel, especially for your lazy breakfasts and brunches. It’s got one of the best “hotel” gyms I’ve ever seen, so you don’t have to go far to keep in the routine to make up for all the margaritas.
And, the pool in the common area can be what you make of it. Frankly, most days you should just head to the beach (Green Chairs!). If I had any issues, I would simply ask the other guests directly if they might reconsider any behaviors that wouldn’t make it a good experience for all. Will note, that the pool is clothing optional during specific times, so be aware. I’m more private than this, but am always aware when I book at a place where this is an option – let’s be honest – most of the folks doing it aren’t ones you really want to see anyway. If you are a nudist, have some respect and self-awareness of this to not offend others.
Casa Cupula offers access to great tours and services without hounding you, and welcome you as part of a community if you want… for however long your stay. Your choice is open on participation in that community and creating the private or social experience you want. I met some folks here who will be lifelong friends and more for sure. And, I was there during the "down/quiet" season.
So, if you are chill, and open-minded (gay, straight, all good) and expect a high-level of quality and service – without being someone that runs around with a checklist and a critical eye on your vacation, then this place is a pretty sure bet. Think of it like a unique, chill, local and less corporate version of the W Hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Casa Cupula is one of the most luxurious boutique hotel resorts in the world, welcoming gay men, lesbians, and friends of our community. We offer the services of a five-star mainstream resort in four boutique properties: Casa Cupula, luxurious Villa Sevilla (great for groups), Private Residences and Owner's Villa. Gourmet food compliments four pools, a gym and sophisticated modern design. Located in Amapas, walking distance to gay beach clubs, nightlife, restaurants and cafes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Casa Cupula reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Cupula Puerto Vallarta
- Casa Cupula Hotel Puerto Vallarta