“Impeccable staff.”

Casa Cupula
Ranked #11 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
“Impeccable staff.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in the jr suite the first two nights and fell in love. Wish we stayed there the rest of the time.
We then moved to a king bed room which was underneath the restaurant. My partner woke at 8am every morning when they were setting the chairs up at taste. They didn't bother me.
The rooms were kept clean and the pools were relaxing.
Mosquitoes were brutal up there on the hill and they ate me alive. That isn't the hotel fault. But we found a gap in between the screen door frame and the brick that allowed them to get in. Along with the loud lizards.
Overall, we would return. We enjoyed ourselves a great deal.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Kminthemiddle
optionsf, Owner at Casa Cupula, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
We're glad you'll come back and the problems noted are already being corrected. As part of our summer renovations, we're installing new flooring for Taste Restaurant which includes a sound barrier to block noise to the rooms below. The screen has been adjusted, but the little "Cuizas" (geckos) that make a sound like tapping keys on glass are part of our jungle setting, and they're considered good luck and worth protecting because they eat the mosquitoes!

It might also be worth noting here that we are also renovating the pool area, with new floor tile, new fountain, pool bar and cabanas...more luxury for our guests! As part of this, the terraces in front of rooms 101 and 102 will have more privacy.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

Best vacation I ever had. Wonderful staff, fantastic food and superb amenities. Can not wait to return this winter.

Hands down this facilities at Casa Cupula are equivalent to any 5 star hotel in the states. The professional staff and Concierge service is superb. Facilities are maintain at a very high level year around. My compliments to Don and his entire team for making Casa Cupula the destination to stay when visiting.

Room Tip: All the rooms are superb. One tip I would recommend is the Short Ribs on the dinner menu and Eggs B...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

From the amazing rooms, to the best food at "taste", and the fact that the entire staff knew our name, the "get away" vacation turned into the perfect week.
A day trip out of the resort made us realize we didn't want to leave and we quickly returned.
Not only will we be coming back, but will be spreading the word on how amazing this resort is. Run, don't walk!
Special thanks to Tina, Victor and Pancho for taking great care of us.

• Stayed June 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

An incredible place! I would definitely recommend staying in the Romantic Zone instead of the Hotel Zone - the hotel zone seemed sterile and Americanized. Casa Cupula is located in the Romantic Zone, an area better situated for an authentic Mexican vacation! Yes, there will be an incredible amount of steps that you will be climbing up and down (going to the beach and town), but that is actually part of the fun (and you know your legs could use a work out)!

We stated in the Cupula Suite - it was a huge room with kitchen and 2 floors (a large bedroom is located upstairs, just below the hotel's cupula). The onsite bar and restaurant (Taste) was superb, but a bit too pricey to eat there every day. Great for drinks by the pool, too! Breakfast was lovely, eating on the terrace with a wonderful view and nice weather. No worries, though... plenty of fantastic cheap eats available a short walk away in town. The staff was very friendly as well.

Due to the location, there was a bit of navigation that took some time to figure out. Once you walk down the stairs from the hotel, there are several more stairways you can use to reach the beach and city. One could simply walk down the road on the hill every time, but there are shorter routes depending on where you are heading. (This will make much more sense once you've walked into town). For a quicker route to the blue chairs beach, take a left on 200 (the main road) and look for a hidden, very long stairwell beside a white building. For a quicker route into town (where the bars are), walk to the Convenience Store at the bottom of the Casa Cupula drive, then look to your right. It will be just across the street.

For a fun side trip, head to the botanical gardens, about 30 minutes south. To reach the gardens, catch a bus at the corner of Carranza and Aguacate streets (the bus trip can be an adventure as well... it is a rickety bus and we had to stop at one point due to a mule in the road). Nice gardens with a fantastic restaurant on site.

One suggestion - the office (which you walk thru to get to the gym and some rooms) frequently had a couple of dogs lying around. The dogs stunk.

Overall, the trip was fantastic and Casa Cupula was a major factor. Highly recommended!!

Room Tip: Choose a room with a balcony!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank BLNC73
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

I've just returned to NYC from a week at the fantastic Casa Cupula in Puerto Vallarta. This is one of the most fantastic places I have stayed. The design and decor throughout the hotel and rooms are beautiful, and many pieces are from travels of its owner. Each room and suite is uniquely furnished and appointed, some with their own jacuzzi and dipping pool. I stayed in a king room, which was about 600 sq. ft. with a private terrace, ocean view and short walk to the rooftop infinity pool. I even had a view from my bathroom, which was the size of a small studio apartment in Manhattan! I loved it, and would highly recommend the hotel to anyone looking for a unique experience, surroundings and 5-star service!

Located just slightly above town, I found the privacy of the hotel to be excellent. Yet, just a short walk to downtown to the shops, restaurants, beach and ocean. I really liked staying up the hill a bit as staying in town would probably be noisier with more traffic and people. And, for $3 a taxi took me back up the hill to the front door of the hotel. Yes, the road leading up to the hotel is have paved yet, but I found this to be a charming asset to the setting. And, I loved the 12 ft. tall Buddha they had on one of the terraces! I took about 50 pictures of the hotel grounds alone! Everywhere I looked was a photograph, including the very large cage high above a stone wall where three parrots resided.

Also, it was great to have a 5-start hotel on the premises. I had most of my meals there because the food was so fresh and delicious, and accommodated my vegetarian-type of diet. They would adjust the preparation of any menu item to your liking.

I can't say enough about the wonderful staff at Casa Cupula -- the General Manager, Tina, who was always there to help and assist, Marcos, Concierge Extraordinaire, and Francisco. Not to mention the super wait staff in the restaurant, especially Juan and Victor! They went out of their way to make me feel at home during my stay, and I already miss the entire staff. I will definitely be returning very soon to my home away from home.

Room Tip: Too many wonderful rooms to pick just one!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Pat_NewYork_NY_12
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

Spent a week at Casa Cupula with my partner during low season. We had searched for a place that caters to the gay community but offers luxurious accommodations, and Casa Cupula seemed to be the only place to fit that bill.

We loved our Penthouse Suite, with an incredible bathroom, and full kitchen (which thought we'd use but never did), and rooftop dipping pool and sundeck. It was beautifully designed, and truly luxurious. As previous reviewers have said, there was unfortunately the faint smell of sewage intermittently permeating the room, and we never figured out how to get rid of the odor.

The hotel staff were all very helpful and friendly, including the staff at Taste -- a restaurant that deserves its own reviews (bottom line is I give it 5 stars). When we arrived, we got a welcome plate of chips and salsa. The salsa was made totally fresh and spicy. It was delicious, and it was just a preview to all the amazing food we had there at Taste.

The location was good enough, in terms of proximity to points of interest, but the walk to and from the hotel to those points is not exactly pleasant. First of all it's a steep hill. Second, the little road that the hotel is on feels a bit 3rd world. You first walk past smelly dumpsters with feral cats foraging, then proceed up a road covered in litter. But being on the hill is nice because the views.

Speaking of view -- Casa Cupula's ocean views are sadly being blocked to some degree by a new high rise that was under construction while we were there.

On the whole, the positives outweighed the negatives, and we would definitely stay there again.

Other bonuses: the gym, the pools

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LAguy888
optionsf, Owner at Casa Cupula, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed the property and want to return!

You raise an interesting point: as you noticed during your stay, the Mexican federal government is rebuilding the main road from Puerto Vallarta south. As a result, the entrance to our alleyway from the highway has been quite atrocious lately with piles of dirt, construction debris and workers tossing refuse everywhere.

The good news is this will all be over this summer, and we'll have a nice new entrance that we will be able to keep clean again. In the meantime, we do apologize for that, but it's the price of progress.
Montclair, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

Small intimate hotel with unique rooms, each one is decorated differently to create a great eclectic style. The staff is really great, Marcos at the front desk gave good restaurant recommendations and set my partner and me up with a great massage. He was always willing to help us with whatever we needed. Our room had close access to the rooftop dipping pool with a great view of the sunset (hopefully the hotel being built near the beach will not block the view). Taste restaurant had good food for dinner and a nice upscale atmosphere. I would definitely stay in Casa Cupula again during my next trip to Puerto Vallarta.

Room Tip: Room 403 has a great terrace with wonderful views. The room is spacious as is the bathroom. Since...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank njtraveler068
optionsf, Owner at Casa Cupula, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Thank you for your kind words about Casa Cupula and the staff. Marcos and everyone work extra hard to make sure your stay is not only problem-free, but relaxing or fun, calm or busy as you choose. Everyone has different goals and needs when they visit, and the most important thing we can do is help each individual to get what they want out of their visit. That's why we sit down over a delicious Margarita, with fresh salsa and chips, in a relaxed manner, to talk to each and every guest at check-in and make sure we've got you covered, and to get to know you. We think knowing our guests makes all the difference! We look forward to your visit, and are here to help!