“very cost effective pleasant option”

Costa Sur Resort & Spa
Ranked #38 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Los Angeles
“very cost effective pleasant option”
Reviewed March 28, 2007

For the price, Playa Del Sol Costa Sur is definitely above average. Great deals at Spa, friendly bar and restaurant staff, free internet, beautiful ocean views from rooms, comfortable chairs at pool with a small but nice beach for tanning or swimming in the ocean. Fully equipped mini kitchens also great advantage for people on a budget. Taxi ride into town only $5 and very necessary for people seeking late nights or a younger crowd. Crowd at hotel ranged from 20's to 90 with many 40+ couples and a few families. Beds a little less than comfy but good pillows, and they weren't so bad they kept me from sleeping! They also had activities like free spanish lessons and bingo... if it is your 1st time to PV, beware of the time share sharks at the airport and at the hotel concierge. If you are willing to sit through the pitch, you get gifts and discounts on your stay...but just be prepared to be firm if you aren't into the offer.

• Liked — value -all my essentials like pool, beach, view, spa for an excellent price
  • Disliked — the food wasn't bad, but it wasn't that good either
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
6 Thank honeybunny74

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Reviewed March 15, 2007

This trip was our second time to PV-- we stayed at the Holiday Inn last July of 2006. We enjoyed the Costa Sur way more than the Holiday Inn. Firstly, the view is just incredible! As a previous reviewer noted, you are ON the ocean and the balcony view is just priceless (every room has a balcony ocean view). Each room has a kitchenette which really came in handy for breakfast and munchies. We didn't do the all-inclusive and we were fine with that because of the kitchenette. Fridge worked great, there was always hot water and the air conditioner was fine. Room was very clean!
Unlike the Holiday Inn we were never harassed with time shares. There's a little grocery store in the hotel which sells anything basic that you would need-- we didn't have to go to Walmart (quite a distance by cab) for very much. One note: this hotel is not a party hotel but rather a laid back mature crowd which suited us fine (we're in our 40's). We really prefer this side of PV to the hotel zone now that we've been here-- you're surrounded by lush jungle as compared with concrete in the hotel zone.
The lagoon was used quite a bit because seats around the two small pools were always "reserved" by 6-7 am-- no kidding! The weird thing was that no one used the pool-- they just sat around it soaking in the sun like walruses. Oh well, that didn't bug us too much-- we liked the beach!
The bathroom in the room was larger than the Holiday Inn but there wasn't a bath tub which my wife prefers. The bathroom is situated by the outside corridor and there's a ventilation window -- it can get kind of weird when you're on the toilet and there's people walking by. Maybe I'm just paranoid. But, as I mentioned, everything was clean, there was always hot water and I didn't see any bugs of any kind at all except for 2 tiny geckos who came out at night on our balcony! Man, are they ever cute! One problem: there might have been a slight sewer smell in the room (I say "might" because it might have been a natural humidity-jungle smell) by the kitchenette/bathroom area which wasn't too appealing when you're making food. It wasn't a gagging smell but it was there.
Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel. Hotel staff were great, the room was clean and way larger than the Holiday Inn, the view spectacular, and the location is superior to the hotel zone. For the price I really don't think you'd find a better stay with similar amenities.

• Liked — The view, location and amenities
  • Disliked — Pool hogs! Lack of a bath tub.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Ramondo
Calgary, AB
Reviewed March 13, 2007

Costa Sur was an enjoyable hotel to stay at, it is mainly timeshare owners that are there, and yes they are a bit of an older crowd, or relatives of timeshare holders.
Be sure to remember to tell your taxi driver that you are going to Costa Vida(the previous name of the hotel) As we found no one knows it to be known Costa Sur!!!
When we first arrived we were pleasantly surprised at the appearance and location of the hotel, everything is extremely clean and plenty of staff all around to help with anything you need. The location is perfect because it's only a 5 minute bus/taxi ride into Old Town, but far enough from the hoards of tourists that are in and around the Malecon area, I would never stay in that area unless you are looking to meet lots of fellow tourists and party hard, then I am sure it's a great area to be!!!
Our room was a great size and yes all the rooms have an ocean view, we were on the 2nd floor which was nice because I am afraid of heights and the view is beautiful!!
The beach and ocean that has been "rocked off" is great because it keeps the waters calmer than they would be anywhere else on the pacific coast. The beach area is very small, and quite rocky! There were alot of wise people with those slip on shoes and I only had flip flops the slip on's I would highly recommend if you love going in the water. The prices at the pool bar are extremely high, my boyfriend drinks Gin and Coke and he had a double and it cost around $13.....the best thing to do is to stock your fridge with beer or booze from town and if you run out you could go to the mini market downstairs(but of course those are higher prices than the little convience stores in town) The food at the restaurant is good, but a little pricey.
The hotel is generally quiet, but even when there is live music on or people partying you can hardly hear anything in your room if you are looking for some peace and quiet.
Overall I would recommend Costa Sur as a nice relaxing hotel, with good service and friendly staff. If you are looking for a good party place, this is not for you, but if you love to go and do things on your own, Costa Sur is a great choice for the price.
Do yourself a favor and take the bus south to Boca, it truly is a little piece of heaven!!! And be sure to spend a day in Yelapa if you are into a chilled out, relaxing time!!!

Stayed March 2007
6 Thank cherinCalgary
Chicago
Reviewed March 11, 2007

I was satisifed with my trip to PV and my stay at Costa Sur. The hotel is comfortable for lack of a better word. The rooms have little kitchens great for keeping beverages cold and ice for the beach. The hotel has a little mini mart for incidentals...bottled water, liquor, snacks. If you make a trip into town for .50 cents you can go to the grocery store and stock up for half the price. Nevertheless the little mini mart is convenient. Costa Sur is a great hotel, but a time share hotel....so you have to keep that in mind. If you want to get away and enjoy some sun and relaxation. This place will work perfectly. The ocean view rooms, and the sound of the waves at night would alone make me return...The restaurant for breakfast is great, nice selection and for $12 USD buffet you can't beat it. Get to the pool early like b4 8am to reserve a chair or you'll be stuck on their man made beach which I didn't care for. It was way too rocky and small. They have a rocks in place to create a break from the waves which makes it nice for swimming but bring some snorkeling shoes because it's hard to stand in. Even though it's nice to stay on a higher floor for the view, the elevators are terrible so get used to the stairs. Regarding the concierges in the hotel, do not take their restaurant recommendations. They don't listen to what your looking for, they just recommend what ever restaurant is going to give them the biggest kick back. Do some research before you go and just have the concierge make reservations for you. I highly recommend Barcelona, went there twice,amazing tapas and great view. La Palapa is right on the beach, very romantic and has incredible red snapper. Azul is very Miami trendy, small portions and great flavors, but don't go on a Monday night...shoot for Thur-Sat and head to the roof top bar, you won't be disappointed.

Stayed March 2007
5 Thank SbeachLover
NorthWest
Reviewed February 26, 2007

First of all I have to say I love PV and we had a fantastic vacation. Sun, beach, pool, Mexico...what's not to love.

Having said that I was very disappointed in Costa Sur. I know some of you will say "It's Mexico, get over it". I don't buy that for a minute.

There are a lot of good Mexican resorts, where the management actually maintains the property and they have some sense of creating an awesome customer experience. In all fairness, it wasn't all bad....the pools are awesome and most of the workers were extremely nice.

If you are taking you family like I did, recognize that this is a resort that caters to an older crowd. Don't expect the restaurant to accomodate a childs tastes. In reality, I didn't care for the on-site restaurant much either....but they obviously thought highly of it based on the prices.

The resort is actually falling apart due to maintenance issues. If you want proof, check out the fitness room. Most of the equipment didn't even work properly. Not to be nit-picky, I just think it could be much better and I wouldn't rush back.

I did want to share a couple of really awesome experiences though. First, you must eat at "Le Bistro" at Rio Cuale. Awesome food and experience. Also, if you are into an expensive treat or celebrating, eat at "La Kliff". This restaurant is amazing but it is also south of Mismaloya, so a hike for most people. We took the bus and it really wasn't a bad trip or expensive to get there.

The highlight of the trip for us was taking a bus all the way to the end of the line on the south side.....to a little fishing village called Boca. It is on a river that flows into a bay. We just hung out on the sand bar all day. It was like going back in time. If you want take the bus as far as it goes on the south highway. When the bus gets to the end of the line you are in Boca....just walk down the hill to the river and step back to a different place. I liked the vacation homes along the river and would consider staying there another time.

Stayed February 2007
5 Thank RollingStones_NW
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada
Reviewed January 4, 2007

This resort was a little farther from downtown than I expected. I soon discovered that it would not be much of an issue. It is a $5-8 cab ride to oldtown PV or the Malecon (bars) and the bus is super conveinent as it stops right in front of the hotel and it is $0.50 and it runs every 15 min till 11pm. The bus is a riot, a must try! Cabs are usually in front of the hotel.

I am 30 and single and the only bad thing I have to say about Playa Del Sol Costa Sur is it seemed like more of a mature place to stay. All the staff seemed older and the guest were too. So if you are looking to flirt with the Mexicans....this may not be the place. Even though I am single and alone on this trip, a quiet hotel at night was nice. Apparently, it is mostly time share owners at this resort. I did notice on the bulletin board that some people were trying to get rid of their suites that were around the 6th floor or lower. The 6th floor is street level and on the highway. The floors just below it get a lot of highway noise.

I was not All Inclusive so I can't comment on the food. I did attend a time share presentation at the hotel (for the incentives) and ate the buffet one morning and it was good. I also have to say,after being to other time share presentations, it was good. I really enjoyed visiting with Gilberto :-)

My room was the 14 floor. The view was AMAZING!!! Oceanview with a small patio. The bed was soft (which can be hard to come by in Mexico). It was brightly painted which I think gets you into the Mexican vibe.

I did not do much at the hotel except sleep, lay on the beach and use the pool a couple times. Loungers by the pool were hard to come by. The beach was nice although on the small side, you have to keep your things on the lounger with you or the waves may come up and take it away :-) What was really great was that there is a rock barrier around the hotel beach that breaks the waves....the best feature by far! I have been to PV a couple times and realize that western side of Mexico has rougher waves and it makes it hard to swim at most beaches. This beach was great!

I would stay here again in a second!

Note: The pictures on expedia are accurate. It really looks like that!

• Liked — The room, view and beach
  • Disliked — activity level: you have to go in searh of your fun and distance from downtown
  • Tips/Secrets — If you are not alone it is a great place to retreat to. If you are alone and want to have more interaction you might consider somewhere closer to town with younger people.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
10 Thank toosting
Highland
Reviewed October 27, 2006

I have a time share here and have been going for 7 years. If you want a relaxing place this is it. The staff are awesome, the pool and bar/restaurant are awesome but only if you like to sit at the bar in front of the ocean. As they do have a restaurante we like to sit right on the water so they set us up away from the restaurante and still served us. White table cloths, napkins, etc.
The resort is super clean and the staff go out of thier way to please. We even had a freind that had a bad spell with Kidney stones and had to take her to the new 2 year old hospital. They were great and it was a new facility with all the updated medical equipment. When we got back the front desk called and asked if she was okay. We were all surprised that they new she left and they knew when she came back. How is that for concern. They just make you feel at home.
The view is awesome and the place is really a paradise.
If you want a huge resort this is not the place. This is very private with no vendors bugging you 24/7. We like it so much we just bought another week.
We have stayed at the bigger resorts and I can tell you the staff never said hi once. They dont remember you the way this palce does. Anyway, I recommend it highly.

• Liked — The view from the rooms
  • Disliked — Can't think of one
  • Tips/Secrets — Enjoy it, it goes much to fast