“Relaxing getaway!”

Ranked #37 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Portland, Oregon
“Relaxing getaway!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

Costa Sur couldn't be a more relaxing and romantic location. The pool and private beach were spectacular! The staff at Costa Sur were the highlight. They were able to help us with everything from travel arrangements to restraunt recommendations to even having a private Doctor come to our room. We will be back for sure!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jessica A
Gelseyf, Director of Sales at Costa Sur Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Jessica,

I agree with you! I love Costa Sur too!
I will make sure to share your very nice comments with the rest of our staff.
Hope to see you here at Costa Sur again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Costa Sur on our first trip to Puerto Vallarta in January! Absolutely beautiful! The rooms were great, the food was excellent and the entire staff was amazing! I would definitely stay again and I highly recommend it!!! The private beach was awesome and the heated pool was very relaxing at night! Our entire trip of only 7 days was Paradise!!! Thank you to the wonderful staff for helping make our vacation so amazing!!!

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Nuhuf1
Dewar guest,

Thank you for your note!
I am very glad your vacation was so fabulous...
Please come back to visit us soon...
Reinholds, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

Costa Sur is an older resort just south of Puerto Vallarta in a small cove on the Banderas Bay. We had a studio overlooking the Bay; from the balcony we watched whales breaching and playing and some truly spectacular sunsets. The room was clean and comfortable and the kitchenette suited us well. Wifi worked well in our room.

The swimming pool is very average but the area around the pool spills over into an outdoor sitting area with a well equipped bar that blends into a restaurant giving the feel of a nice outdoor lounge. Service at the restaurant is very slow ~ maybe resort time.There is a smaller pool and quiet sitting area beyond the restaurant where we did some lap swimming and reading. The beach is rough sand and the hotel has created a rock break to enclose a safe swimming area. At low tide the area is also an excellent spot to snorkel and the equipment desk is nearby at the pool.

The front desk staff is friendly and helpful and it is easy to arrange adventures off site at the activities desk. We had a car as we always like to do our own travelling but taxis were always available just in front of the buildings. There are very few restaurants in walking distance so transportation is important.

The south side of Puerto Vallarta is quieter and it is easy to get into the Sierra Madre Mountains and beautiful botanical gardens from there. We enjoy eco-trips so this location suited us very well but downtown was just a short distance north and we shopped and explored there with as much enthusiasm.

Overall we enjoyed our stay for the quieter comfort and more natural surroundings slightly away from the town.

Room Tip: ocean view for sunsets
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank midweifathome
Dear guest,

Thank you, i love reading detailed reviews and feel proud about how well our guests spend their vacations in Costa Sur. The whales remark is my favorite! I love them and in fact this is my favorite time of the year..Dec through March...the snorkeling in the lagoon is amazing too...As you mentioned, this is a quiet resort...to enjoy nature and quality time with friends and family.

Please do come back to visit us soon!
Euclid, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

Overall this place wasn't bad except for the overwhelming odor of a septic system coming from behind the south building. We couldn't use the AC because it would pull the smell into the room. The staff was excellent and the food was good. Neither of the ceiling fans in our room worked. The private lagoon, which was great for snorkeling, but, I believe was the outlet for the septic system.

Room Tip: Watch out for the brown water cloud coming from the south end of the lagoon.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EdOEuclid_Ohio
Dear guest,

Thank you for posting your comments about Costa sur.
I am sorry about the odor, it could have been the water purifying plant but trust me no sewer.
in addition the water than comes into the lagoon comes from the river that runs down the mountain with one of the cleanest spring waters in Mexico....
This is why our lagoon is so clean and crystal clear and a sanctuary for marine life....
Novato, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

Just finished two weeks here and it's just not enough. This is an older resort with an amazing location and an outstanding staff. Management should be thrilled to have such great employees as Fernando at the front desk who does everything he can to make it a great stay and does it with a smile, and Victor on the patio who is literally running to get orders to customers on the beach and patio. If you want a five star resort with fancy rooms don't come here. But if you want to fall asleep with the sound of the ocean right outside your open patio door (even on the 1st floor i never closed my patio) and wake to watching the whales play right outside the lagoon, then give it a try. If you want to head to town it's an easy bus ride and not far at all, we usually eat at one of the many great restaurants in town and cab back to the hotel. We do manage to cook on the small stove when we want to eat in, and having a refrigerator and microwave means we could get some supplies in town so we weren't stuck for food. The hotel has incredible views from every room and an incredibly friendly staff! I can't wait to get back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Dlaroy
Thank you for sharing your special thoughts about Costa Sur and about our staff.
I agree 2 weeks is not enough.
Please come back soon but this time stay longer!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

Costa Sur is a nice resort for the price. There are many wonderful regulars who come to visit, so the likelihood of meeting some new friends is high. Jose does a great job engaging people in activities outside, from walks to pool exercise, to games of darts/blackjack/bingo/etc. This is very appealing to the older guests. We just sat by the pool (cool but very refreshing after the sun rises) and enjoyed the sun but it wasn't at all distracting in the background. We also rented a double kayak for 150 pesos for an hour. The ocean is not warm but you can snorkel in the lagoon without freezing. Be careful though - while it's a lagoon, it's still part of the ocean, and there was at least one stingray present on the sand bottom when we were there. As a seasoned diver, I feel I know what to watch out for, but a child would not know a stingray barb from a stick.

Our studios were HUGE compared to what I envisioned a studio to be (anywhere else, it would have been 1/3 of the size). The rooms were cleaned very well and while the kitchens are indeed a bit outdated, we did not come to PV with the expectation of a gourmet kitchen - we only used the toaster.

The views are lovely - in Feb, the sun rises around 11am over the cliff and sets at 7pm so there is plenty of sun time by the pool. Be sure to set your towels out early to secure your chairs or don't complain if they're all gone by the time you make your way down from your room at 9am. Poolside drink service is good (80 pesos for the signature Costa Sur drink but it is delicious) but you will wait a long time for water. The lobby store had all the basics we needed and prices were fair for an onsite market.

The limitations: Do NOT expect reliable wifi service. It is available in the lobby and pool areas (and in some rooms by accident) but it is spotty, at best, and requires constant reconnection. Also, plan to get sick in PV. I travel to Mexico very regularly and have never been sick previously. Upon arrival, we were told that EVERYONE will get sick. I, of course, laughed it off...until three days later when I was confined to my room. Truly, EVERYONE there was sick for at least 48 hours. I'm guessing they may not serve purified water exclusively. From the other reviews posted, I'm guessing that getting sick in PV is not uncommon at all. The great news: Guadalajara Pharmacy is just a short taxi ride away (70 pesos) and their doctor is FANTASTIC! She speaks beautiful English and can help you with a prescription if needed.

Bus rides into town cost 7 pesos - just use common sense and hold onto your belongings so they don't disappear. There were numerous accounts of guests whom over the years were mugged, pickpocketed, etc. Nevertheless, I saw more jewelry on people in PV than in a Tiffany & Co. store, so people clearly don't take this stuff seriously. Use your own judgement - my recommendation is to leave your valuables at home. No one wants you to be a news story later.

Room Tip: Choose a low floor or you'll be waiting forever for the tiny elevators!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank SuburbtoSuitcase
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.
We were aware some of our guests (not all) had some stomach issues.
We cant assure this was necessarily caused at the hotel as not everyone was sick. Some stomachs are more sensitive than others. We did run many tests on the water from our system and water is clean and pure...

i do feel for you being sick while being on vacation...
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Costa Sur could be amazing. The location is right on a small private beach. It has two pools. The staff are, mostly, extremely friendly and helpful. It's the details that make the difference and it's teh details that make Costa Sur potentially amazing rather than actually amazing.

We stayed in a one-bedroom "suite" that was dated (maybe great in 19830 but fine for what we needed and for the price. The balcony at sunset and dawn had unbeatable views.

To get to town you can take a taxi (never did) or pay $7 (pesos) for the chicken bus which is value and adventure if you never do that sort of thing.

The two pools are great except one is icy cold in January. So cold barely nobody -- and I mean nobody -- swam in it. It was a waste of space. The other pool was heated (possibly because it is in shade all day) and used by many people but never crowded EXCEPT when the time share water volleyballers monopolized the pool, ie every day..

I understand there are scheduled pool activities but when the time sharers decide they want to play volleyball at 3pm (even if it is not listed on the activity board) then they will play volleyball at 3pm even if it means kicking families out of the pool to make room. No negotiation. No compromise.

This is rude, poor management of facilities, and implies that some guests have privileges that others do not. Try explaining to a 3-year-old that they have to get out of the pool because the old people are now using it. And no, a 3-year-old can't go use the other pool because IT IS TOO COLD.

While the breakfast service is generally excellent and well managed the dinner restaurant (La Cascade) goes down as one of my worst eating experiences anywhere ever of all time. The restaurant was not busy but it took 30 minutes to place an order and even get bread placed on the table. At a resort, when you have a kid, this should not happen. My daughter's order came out 20 minutes later: "Spaghetti Pomodoro" except it was not pomodoro at all but a spicy tomato sauce that was inedible with decorative tree in it.

If a 3-year old orders pomodoro it is because she wants spaghetti with tomato sauce not to sample the chef's experimental imagination. It had to be sent back, with much explanation, to be replaced with spaghetti with butter and cheese. Regular tomato, like on the menu, would have been fine. FORTY minutes after ordering, having asked where our own meals were, they finally arrived. We were not the only people experiencing a chaotic experience that night. Some tables waited 25 minutes for water. Some tables waited 25 minutes for the return of a credit card. Some tables, however, received fast, personable, first-name service. Repeat: the restaurant was not busy.

While some staff members work hard and are excellent some others seem to care less and are on autopilot awaiting big tips for nothing. We mentioned our disastrous experience to the front desk who said to speak to the restaurant manager about it. The trouble was, the restaurant manager (Moses/Moises) was one of the guys working that night and should have been on top of the situation already. As previously said, the breakfast service, run by a female MD, is great. A the sun goes down, so does the service.

To cap the night off, of course I got food poisoning that put me violently out of action for 24 hours. An, yes, I got it from La Cascade, from a mussel that was in the fettucine del mare.

Another detail: the deckchair mafia who reserve the poolside chairs with their towels at dawn but not spotted until late in the day - not cool.

The hotel's mini-mart is also disappointing. Prices on a box of cereal are not what is charged at checkout. It's only an $8 difference? It's the principle. There was water on the floor by a refrigerator that no one has mopped up. It wasn't until my daughter slipped over and hurt herself that anyone appeared particularly interested. Prevention is better than a "precioso".

I'm not high maintenance. Costa Sur could be great. The problem though is that I would not definitely return. I would have liked to say I would but the little details add up and I'd check what else is on offer in the area before booking again. I hope it can improve because then it would be great.

Room Tip: Request one away from the swimming pool and bar area unless you like party noise (that said, most of...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank NachoTaco
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed review about your experience at Costa Sur.
I have made a copy of it and sent to management to take immediate action.
Please know that we read every single guest comment and consider them as a thermometer on service quality.

Thank you for the feedback as it will be much useful.