“Wedding”

Costa Sur Resort & Spa
Ranked #36 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My wife and I hired this hotel's services for our wedding and that was the best choice ever made as all went even better than planned. If you want to feel like home this is the right place. Once you get in, there will be no need to get out ('til chech out comes) as all you might need can be found within the hotel.
We had the best time during our stay (a whole week!). Defenetly this is a must.

Room Tip: All rooms have balcony with sea view, so any room is the best option.
3  Thank Jonathan15mx
Gelseyf, Director of Sales at Costa Sur Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Thank you Jonathan for your review!
It was our pleasure to host yours and Luz's wedding.
Look forward to welcoming all of you back into Costa sur soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,498)

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Costa Sur was a location we reserved simply due to its availability with timeshare trade. The accomodations are very simple. The room was clean and bathrooms decent. The kitchen is functional if dated. We had a large tv in our room, but with spanish channels there wasn't much appeal. The main complaint of our room was lighting - all energy efficient bulbs in a very cold blue color did not add appeal, and many of the fixtures needed new shades, i.e. were bare bulbs. Felt a bit cold. The front desk was helpful and friendly. The prices are very high at the resort for food, so if you are able, stock up at a grocery store in town before getting to the resort. Not much of a beach. The pool area is simple but relaxing. The main pool is not heated. Not a great resort for families, but okay for the budget traveler. The location is right on the ocean and a bus will take you right to Puerto Vallarta for 7 pesos.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank aherlache

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review.
I have taken your bulb suggestion and will implement! I also feel a yellow light will bring a lot more warmth into the units.

Regards

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I took a time to write this review because I wanted to be objective and quiet making my final impression. Excuse me for my English, it might be not perfect.
For beginning general impression about this hotel seemed good but only until the first lunch/dinner.
So about the food. Unfortunately Costa Sur doesn´t really care about the quality of the food. Even I´m not talking about the taste, cause everyone has own preferences about that. But as for me – it was the worst food I´ve ever tried and trust me – I´ve tried a lot. But when they used to organize Italian or Mexican buffet, it´s so awhull... I live in Mexico 2 years and I know how the real mexican food tastes like. And Italian. And French (onion soup in Costa Sur it´s just a lot of boiled onion with vinegar). Even that day I asked a waiter if their chef was a mexican? He said yes, all of them, indeed... If I had cooked such food for my husband, he would divorce me already.
What made me think that food quality is bad? Was not my imagination, no. Let me tell you what I saw by own eyes:
They serve a breakfast at morning and then without washing the dishes on the same plates they serve lunch and dinner. I discovered that eating a green salad for the lunch and I found watermelon seeds into it.
I saw a lot of insects flying around some "fresh" vegetables and salats.
The buffet is serving on the open area, the average temperature of those days was about +28. And normal duration of the breakfast/lunch/dinner about 4-5 hours. Is simply dangerouse to keep the products outside with these conditions.
During Mexican night there was a guy (kitchen assistant, not a chef) who was serving tacos with choriso. When he thought that nobody was looking at him, he opened a pot with chorizo and ate it. By hands.
The pork a la mexicana was not prepared, half ready and with blood.
The food in general seems to be recyclated.
On the third day of our stay there I´ve got food poisoning after trying mexican buffet. I didn´t eat outside, I was washing my hands before to go to the toilet, and I didn´t drink alcohol.
On Sunday night I felt bad, I´ve vomited more than 12 times for few ours together with terrible diarrea. When at 6am my husband went to report on the reception about my situation, a porter (Andres) said that it was my own fault because nobody else was complaining. A-a! You´re lying! The same week there was another case with an american couple, they also got food poisoning and you can check another review on this page from 12th of Nov.
So Monday morning we went to the nearest hospital and I made blood test. I attached the results so everyone can check that I´m not lying. The doctor said that this kind of poisoning is caused because of the bad quality food or spoiled products. So my only mistake was to choose Costa Sur for our vacation. We´ve expected to spend great time and in the end the most of vacation I spent in the bed and I couldn´t eat during 4 days. Is this what we paid for?
So the only one thing I liked was the waiters staff.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Helena R

Dear Helena,

I can only begin by saying we feel terribly sorry for what you went through.
We would never consider your complaint as a lie so please let me apologize on behalf of the hotel staff if the receptionist even suggested that.

I have forwarded your review to F&B for an immediate revision of procedures on buffets and staff.

What others consider a complaint I consider an area of opportunity and there is always room for improvement.

I do want to let the rest of our readers know, breakfast buffet is out from 8 - 11 am but hot dishes remain hot and cold dishes are iced. We do have ongoing controls in F&B but I will make sure we investigate this issue to the fullest.

Thank you and please contact me directly if I can be of further assistance...

gfadul@playadelsolpv.com

Reviewed January 3, 2013

every thing the honeymooners 12 22 2012 said i agree with .Old and outdated. we stayed 1 timeshare trade week. .we wanted to leave at first.but moved from the 9th floor to 5th floor #515 corner.at lot quieter,didn,t hear road noise so much.that helped . The road noise was so bad above 5th floor had to sleep on pullout sofa living room the first night . we spent all our time on our patio ,plus private beach. that was great .HOTEL STAFF WONDERFUL. some money NEEDS to be dumped into the place.i would go back ,because i,m over the shock of the rooms not being nice. we mostly stay at gold timeshare resorts.we do like how small the property is ,and sets right on the sand . liked being close to downtown.went to 2 very nice restaurants ,THE River Cafe good food - music and Hacienda Alemana 50% off mon and tue great food .

Room Tip: don,t stay in rooms on floors higher than 5.ask for corner,rooms are bigger

Dear Guests,

Thank you for your review.

If you are looking for the luxury experience, then Costa Sur is not the option for you.

If you are looking for a quaint ocean front property, with traditional mexican authentic charm, welcoming staff with a fantastic view of the ocean from each and everyone of our suites while being on a private beach then this is the place for you . We agree this is an older property that continues to offer unique qualities that are hard to find now days: spacious rooms, king size comfortable beds and linens, the most amazing sunsets from your own terrace, great food and great atmosphere....while being surrounded by the mountains meeting the ocean!

I do like that you will continue to visit us and we will be thrilled to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband and I went to Puerto Vallarta to celebrate our honeymoon. We were so excited about staying at this resort as the pictures online via their website are beautiful. To our surprise, the rooms are old, ghetto style type rooms. The furniture is outdated, the room was dusty with water ants running around everywhere and there were stains on the sheets. The kitchenette section of the room is horribly outdated with a dirty old small fridge - its ghetto. Every bath has only a shower and it faces the outside road/highway. You hear every truck rumbling by in the room...I cried for the first hour. Luckily we were contacted by Flamingos Resort and were able to relocate to their lovely resort where we had an unforgettable honeymoon. Save your money and book anywhere else but here. The view of the ocean from the hotel is beautiful but it doesnt make up for the nasty, ghetto style hotel room. Andres at the hotel service desk was very kind and understanding - that is my only positive comment.

4  Thank Honeymooners12222012
Gelseyf, Director of Sales at Costa Sur Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear Honeymooners,

I am so sorry our hotel did not meet your expectations.
We are not a brand new resort nor do we advertise as such.
Our hotel is a quaint, traditional Mexican property, located in one of the most beautiful beaches in Puerto Vallarta. While we are not a modern hotel we do have brand new beds with top of the line mattresses, 42" flat screen tv's and great service. Our guests love the fact that all rooms are very spacious and all have in addition to a king size bed a very comfortable sofa bed.
The kitchenette area in fact does not have brand new appliances but they all work perfectly.

I am glad you were able to stay at Flamingos which can not be compared to us as it is a 5 star resort and we are are a 4 star but with a 10 star service.

Again I am sorry we did not meet your expectations and I do hope you do continue to visit our beautiful Puerto Vallarta!

Reviewed December 30, 2012

All of the condos here have ocean views. I had two weeks in a studio and two weeks in a one bedroom, but opted to stay in the large studio as the bed was right next to the sliding glass door which you could open to hear the ocean at night. Very peaceful. They have encircled the beach with huge boulders which cuts down on the very large waves and makes it safer for children to swim and play, yet allows a large variety of fish, crabs, pelicans to circulate for great snorkeling. There is a microwave and a two burner stove top, but no oven. Fernando at front desk was very helpful and staff were friendly. The biggest downside was the wedding parties which seemed to occur most Friday, Saturday and some Sunday nights. The very loud music and drumming actually shook the bed from the vibrations and would go on until 1am. There is daily maid service, Restaurant nothing to write home about and rather pricey for what you get. Bus to town is only 70 pesos (about 50 cents) and stops right in front of the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 14, 2012

We arrived at Costa Sur via local bus shortly after noon and was allowed to check in as our room was ready. Normal time is 3pm. After spending a week in Nuevo Vallarta the 15 miles or so was an easy move after changing local bus lines three times.We traveled with carry-on luggage as the buses are very quick on/off. Taxis are expensive if you go outside your zone and they have a union. At first it was a little reality check as we had left a one bedroom high end resort and Costa Sur is an older property where we had a studio for a week. However, the location was stunning. All units face the water on the southeast side of Banderas Bay, a very small balcony (maybe 3 X 10 or 12 feet) but with room for a couple chairs. With a rocky beach and a breakwater that forms a private lagoon I was able to watch many birds and pelicans on the rocks forming the breakwater and see men fishing from the bank and rocks or small fishing boats bring in their nets which they had put out the night before. There were always about 15 or more pelicans circling the boat. And when the water was clear I could see fish in the lagoon. The studios are referred to as the north tower and the south tower next door is newer with 1,2,3, bedrooms also a timeshare property. We had reserved with Interval International as an exchange. We were ion the third floor so very close to the water and roar of the waves.
Costa Sur had two weddings while we were there. There are two pools, two bars, a restaurant, mini market, spa, and while small with modern equipment, a gym with a wonderful view of Los Arcos. Internet is free as is daily housekeeping. The small kitchen area had a good size refigerator, microwave, 2 burner gas plate with dishes and pots and pans but we didn't do any cooking. We requested a blender and they brought one, though somewhat ancient it worked. Ample closets (2) , air conditioning, large shower and lots of counter space in the bath all with beautiful Mosaico tile floors. I was told renovations took place a couple years ago.
It was easy going into town on the bus - 7 pesos (about 58 cents). The bus stop takes you to an area south of the Rio Cuale. (about a 10 minute ride) About a 4 or 5 block walk, on the island in the middle of the river is the Flea Market and the same distance towards the Bay is Las Muertos Beach. A great walkway goes over the river to the Malecon and goes north for about 12 blocks. Just to the right is the main plaza and the cathedral of Guadalupe. You are close to everything. Of course shopping is everywhere. Art galleries, silver, clothing, pottery. You can't get away from it. Souvenirs are "in your face" but who wouldn't want a reminder of Puerto Vallarta?
A lot of retirees come here, both Americans and Canadians, many having bought in the early 1980s. But there are also families with children. People remember one another and make friends and love the dancing in the evening to a live trio. Day trips depend on your interests. In the beach community of Mismaloya 4.3 miles away, the Night of the Iguana ruin filmed in 1963 is now closed having fallen into desrepair. There are many beaches that can only be reached by water taxi, the area near the rocks of Los Arcos offers excellent snorkeling, nearby tequila distilleries, botanical gardens, shopping, or you can do nothing and lay by the pool. We were there during the celebration of the birthday of Guadalupe, the first 12 days of Dec. That is a story in itself.
And the Taxi drivers were dismade that we left by bus to go to the airport. Just two changes this time. For a total of 27 pesos for the two of us. One really can do Puerto Vallarta on the cheap. And Costa Sur was an excellent choice. Everyone was helpful and friendly. Yes, it really was a room with a view!! And a great bed.

3  Thank evenyl

Dear Evenyl,

Thank you so much for your kind review..It was honest and very helpful to our future guests...
I usually comment about reviews but yours is so detailed I find myself with nothing else to add.

Come back and visit us soon!