“Charming Family-Run establishment. Excellent Filet Mignon”
Review of Chenan2 Restaurant

Chenan2 Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 1,016 Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Los Angeles, California
“Charming Family-Run establishment. Excellent Filet Mignon”
Reviewed August 7, 2014

We went twice in early June...slow season. Never more than a few customers. (I've heard, however that in peak season, they are lined up around the block.) It's a family affair. Small, quaint. Some tables in an open air area (hot an humid) and 6 or 7 more inside (air conditioned). It is like being inside someone's home. The whole family taking care of you. The master chef (dad) working at the grill outside near the street.
The food was excellent. Every bit as good as the food at the Vista Grill, but half the price. Now the atmosphere and service and view was not the same as Vista Grill, but food quality was great. Family was so friendly. We took pictures with the family and the chef. A few days later as we were walking down the street, the owner recognized us and offered to get us a drink inside. Instead we went in and had another great meal.
Now, I do have a few warnings. Don't go here if you are on a low fat diet or if you are worried about cholesterol. They use a lot of butter and bacon. Sauces are very french. Very heavy.
Unlike "fine" beef I've had in Cancun and in other parts of Mexico, the filet that I had here was the best I've ever tasted. Like sashimi. Better than fine steak houses in LA or NYC. I don't know where they get their meat, but it's the best I've tasted in Mexico...or North America for that matter. We will return.

7 Thank PhilipLosAng

Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico
“What a great night”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

I celebrated a birthday this week, and I asked my friends..."let's try something different, what does everyone recommend"? One of our group has been friends with the owner for 25 years, and suggested we try it.
We had a GREAT night..13 of us, in the back room with AC, cheese fondue...bests I have ever had!! Seafood pasta with lobster...top five all time. Filet ..... Really, really good!!
Only my one friend had ever been here, and we were all super impressed with everything, and I highly recommend it to anyone wanting a great dining experience.

• Visited July 2014
5 Thank Atmguy
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
“What a Jewel”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

The restaurant is located near where we have lived for 10 years and drive by it at least once or more times a week. I can't believe I have never seen it but it has only about a 8 ft. front to the street and the cook and his grill are 1/2 of the entry. I introduced my wife and I to the chef Fernando who is the owner who greeted very warmly almost like we have each other for years. We were led to this restaurant by reading other comments on TripAdvisor. We walked 15 feet and one of his son's opened the door into an air conditioned dining room. You could immediately tell this was still a home shared with the restaurant. There was sitting for 16 inside and 4 up by the grill in the entry. The menu was in English and Spanish and it was very difficult to decide which entry to chose. The brought two kind of salsa and chips. Faye ordered Sangria and I ordered Negro Modelo. The son asked if I wanted an iced glass. Well I love cold beer in an iced glass and when I poured my beer the ice floated to the top and I was one happy camper. Faye ordered arrarchera, asparagus and baked potato and they also brought hot of the grill garlic bread. I ordered Filet Mignon bacon wrapped with mushroom brown gravy, asparagus and baked potato. The meals were delicious and so abundant we both took home doggy bags. We will return many times because they also have oyster rockerfella, fresh fish, shrimp and octopus. We could not believe the cost as it was extremely reasonable compared to other local restaurants.

• Visited July 2014
6 Thank Dennis J
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
“Good, not memorable”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

My boyfriend and I went to Chenan2 last week due to all the raving reviews on Trip Advisor. We had drove by this place numerous times and never thought twice about it. As we arrived we were greeted by the very friendly owner and escorted to the back of the restaurant, or may I say into their house, where we sat at an air conditioned area next to the house kitchen. It was charming, but a bit uncomfortable, as members of the family were constantly in and out of the kitchen serving themselves cereal and eating as if they were at home, which they were. We felt like intruders in someone else's house. The music was a bit cheesy as well. As an appetizer we shared the queso fundido which was the best part of our meal. Delicious melted cheese with peppers, mushrooms, asparagus and pineapple. Never had a queso fundido with pineapple. Loved the sweet touch. That with fresh corn tortillas, best part of our night and the reason why I'm not giving this review less stars. For our entree my boyfriend had the filet mignon and I had the pasta with seafood. They were both good, but not even close to the best we've had. As residents of PV we can say there are much better places to eat at, but Chenan2 is a pretty good choice if you are on a low budget and don't mind the ambience, or lack there of.

7 Thank sofiboettner
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Best Octopus south of Greece”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

I have had octopus all over the world. This one was very interesting and beautifully cooked. It had octopus, mushroom, fresh asparagus and onion. It was a Mexican Asian fusion flavour. Absolutely suburb. This was followed by the fillet mignonette which was perfectly cooked as rare. Wonderful service and great night with Fernando and all his family. We will be going back tonight for the seafood pasta. Alexandros and Patricia from New Zealand

3 Thank PattiandAlex