“Excellent pool, grounds and beach accommodation.”

Club Regina Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #45 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Bluffton, South Carolina
“Excellent pool, grounds and beach accommodation.”
Reviewed January 4, 2011

I stayed at the Club Regina vacation timeshare, (formally Westin), from Dec 26-Jan 1 and had a wonderful visit. We stayed in a 2 bd / 3 bath / living room, kitchen combo. The rooms were roomy and clean and we had an awesome balcony overlooking the pool and beach. We also had a jacuzzi (which i think all units have on the balcony). The bathrooms could use updating but besides that, no complaints...especially since there were 4 of us in the unit and 3 bathrooms.

I found everything at the hotel to be extremely reasonable...the buffet breakfast came out to around $11US, drinks and food at the hotel bar were much less then what you would pay at a normal Westin. I also thought the quality of food was above average.

As for beach and pool access, our group of 4 never had a problem finding chairs at the pool in the sun and shade. However, if you wanted to get chairs under the beach palapas, you had to get down to the beach rather early and claim your spot because they got snatched up rather quickly. We made sure to drop our stuff on beach days by 9-9:30AM.

Guests at Club Regina are also able to use the spa services at the Villa Vera across the street and it was hard to believe how inexpensive the prices were. I got an 80 min hot stone massage and my fiance got an 80 minute swedish massage for less than $90US each. The massages at the Westin were more than double the price. Not sure if the prices are so low because the facility is new and not too many people know about it...but now you know! So if you're staying at the Club..take advantage of it.

Besides that, the hotel is a close walk to the marina which has a ton of restaurants and a short cab ride into town...if I recall it came to $8US. Wonderful beach stay, relaxing and great fireworks on NYE. The whole sky was lit up by all of the hotels and places in town shooting off fireworks.

Only one negative I can think of was the internet was really bad. My blackberry didn't work at all in the hotel room... Wifi was free in the lobby but it was so slow that you couldn't do much. We had friends that had a hard time accessing a book on their Nook and my email access was spotty down there as well.

Overall, I would recommend this spot in PV.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Wisconsin
Reviewed December 24, 2010

I am an owner at Raintree Vacations and was treated very well during my stay w/ my 2 friends. Did NOT get a remodeled room, but still comfortable. Heard from another owner that some rooms are remodeled and I look forward to getting one of those next time.

The pools are beautiful and felt like bath water (even in December!). The staff is plentiful for keeping the area clean and tidy. Saw no bugs in the room. The 1-br & studio each have a newer, flat screen TV.

The beach is nice but we found it anoying to be bothered so many times by the vendors so stuck to the pool area. Everything was in good working order except the stove cooktop did not work. Maintenance came to fix it to a "slightly warm" operation. Used the microwave instead. My friend said the sofa bed was very comfortable (it has a wooden platform that slides out for support). She thought it anoying that the maid opened the bed & took the sheets off each day for cleaning.

Evidently, maid service is daily at no extra charge for owners. May be different if you're using an exchange so ask at check in. I also had the "optional donation" charge on my bill (as mentioned by previous writer) and had it easily removed. Also be prepared for a 2% room tax. Although no one could tell me 2% of what amount. Was about $16 US.

The kitchen has EMPTY salt & pepper shakers so bring your own. Would have been easy to bring some small packets from fast food if we'd known. There are NO staples (sugar, seasonings, napkins, etc provided.) Each room (bedroom & studio) has a useful, modern safe; set your own combo.

WiFi is available in the club lobby if you have your own laptop computer. In the past, we've used a computer in the club's business center. Only open Mon-Fri & you may have to wait your turn. If believe the fitness center use is charged for club members. Has a tennis court but did not inquire about it's use/fees.

I was surprised to not be repeatedly bothered by the club to attend the "breakfast presentation" (ie sales). I figured out it was because I was there without my husband and they figured I could not make a financial decision without him! Worked for me.

Very easy to get around this area! A short walk across the street to the marina area with many restaurants. Victors is a favorite w/ complimentary drinks & fun atmosphere. The mariachi band asked my friend if she had a song request. She gave one, then leader wanted 100 pesos to play it. "Never mind."

Take the bus for 6.5 pesos to Walmart to get your food staples if you like to prepare some meals. The 3 of us ladies spent about $95 US total for the week for breakfast & lunch food + 1 bottle wine + 1 tequila ($7.50 US!!) Take a taxi back for about $8 US if you have a lot to carry.

Speaking of taxi's, I will repeat other writers suggestions for saving $$ on an airport taxi. When you arrive at the airport, walk swiftly and confidently through the airport, stopping for NO one (even those that claim they are with Club Regina). Exit the airport, go up the stairs to the footbridge over the highway to the YELLOW taxi's waiting. Only $8 US for taxi to Club Regina (ask before you get in). The WHITE taxi's at the airport will cost a LOT more as they are port taxi's.

We used US dollars all week with no problem except for the bus where we used Pesos (exchanged at the front desk). We just got enough for a few bus rides. I printed an exchange rate chart (find on-line) which was handy all week when shopping.

Again, like other writers, we liked eating at the Sirloin Stockade at the newer mall next to WalMart. Great buffet for about $9 US. Also recommend Pipi's downtown. If you take a bus downtown, be sure to watch for the "Marina" bus to return. Last bus at 10 pm! (One yr my family got the wrong bus & ended up for 1+ hr ride who-knows-where. We got off when the bus route ended at the gas station, then took a taxi.)

We did not eat at any of the Club/Hotel's restaurants as we enjoyed getting out & about!

We drank bottled water all week although told the Club's water was filtered. There is a small conven store across the street from Club Regina.

I booked some tours w/ Gueramo (sp?) at the Adventures desk (at pool towel desk) and he gave me better prices than I could have found online! Bring bug spray if you do a canopy tour or ATV tour; your legs will get bitten up by bugs you don't even see!

Another tip if you've never been to Mexico: part of your entrance paperwork (given on airplane) must be returned when you leave Mexico. Read the fine print; don't throw it away, keep with your passport. You'll need to relinquish this to customs when you return to your home country.

We 3 ladies were never worried about our safety during our stay in PV. Use common travel sense. We travelled together, stuck to common tourist spots, and used reputable tours.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank marcene
Weslaco, Texas
Reviewed December 23, 2010

Overall,everything was fine until we had to go through the complimentary breakfast where we were supposed to buy a timeshare. What was supposed to be one hour turned into four! Be stern since the beginning if you are not interested. If not, they will keep on sending you reps to try to convince you. Other than that, we were never bothered and enjoyed our stay.

Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Seattle
Reviewed December 5, 2010

Club Regina is a lovely property. Rooms are nice and are going through remodel which will make them even nicer. Nice swimming beaches and several large pools provide amble space to relax in the sun. Staff showed incredible customer service -- from front desk to activities desk to housekeeping staff -- all were cheerful and helpful.

Free activities provided on site were terrific! We saw dolphins, manta rays and sting rays on morning kayak trips -- crocodiles and iguanas on bike ride around the marina. Fernando, Alejandro and Pablo were great activity leaders!

Massages on the beach were heavenly. Would definitely recommend this!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Fernley, Nevada
Reviewed November 4, 2010

My stay here was the result of a time share exchange. When the room was booked, I was given a grand suite, which is two bedrooms, three bathrooms, and a kitchen/dining room/living room combination. Upon check-in, the people attempted to have me downgrade to a smaller unit since I was alone, which I declined. I was also approached by the timeshare people about attending a presentation. I was given a week of internet access for attending; however, internet access is not available in the rooms - only in the lobby. The rooms - especially the bathrooms - are in need of remodeling. There was a large pool area and it was always in good condition. Bar service in the pool area was not consistent. You might sit for over an hour before someone comes to take an order. Food and drinks could have been better. In fact, I ate at their restaurant once because the food was okay and you could get better elsewhere for less money.

My problem came when it was time to check out. I have used timeshare exchanges often and was never charged for housekeeping unless I was told beforehand that it was not available on a daily basis. So I was stuck with a housekeeping bill of $50. If I had known, I would not have requested it everyday since I had two bedrooms available for my use. Also, I was charged 2% hotel tax, which has not been the practice at other timeshare exchanges. And finally, there was a donation of 100 pesos to some organization on the bill that I had no knowledge of. When I asked about this charge, I did not understand what the charity was about so I requested that it be taken off my bill.

I would recommend this hotel to others but I think the hotel staff does not communicate to their guests about the extra charges they will occur. I think their thinking is that some people will just pay the bill and not question the charges. So I would suggest anyone considering this hotel to be aware of hidden charges - especially if they are staying here because of a timeshare exchange.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank jgb0950
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Just got back on Saturday from our week at Club Regina. We went as a guest on my in laws timeshare through RCI. We didn't have to pay anything for our room so I don't know what the cost would be if staying here not on a time share. We did have to pay for the tax which was about $50 USD--this was charged at check out. It was everything that we could have asked for. When you arrive to the PV airport, don't stop for anyone offering you free transportation (if you don't have it already). They will stop you and try and get you to do their excursions and then they will get you the transportation. After about 15 minutes of standing there and listening we told them we didn't want to do any excursions and they sent us on our way. I asked about the free transportation and they said yes if we did the excursion. So we proceeded to the next area which is where the car rental places are and the taxi booth. We didn't get a taxi and proceeded out the doors to the street. If you want to take a bus then proceed up and over the bridge to the left. If you are going North then you want to go over the bridge if you are going South then stay on the airport side. We pulled 3 pieces of luggage over the bridge only to find out that we were on the wrong side and then had to go back up and over the bridge pulling our heavy luggage. We got on the bus and took it to our resort in the Marina. We weren't sure where we were going so we got off about 1 mile away from our resort. Luckily there were some taxis parked and we took a taxi to the Club Regina for about $4 USD.

Check in was a breeze. The people were very nice. After check in they sent us over to the other desk to have someone go over all the stuff to do in the city. We said that we would think about it. This was to do all the excursions or do the presentations in order to get discounts/pesos. We never did any presentations or excursions and we didn't get bothered to do this when walking through the lobby. We did receive a few phone calls to our rooms but we didn't answer the phone. They did leave messages but we ignored and after about the 3rd day they stopped calling. There are 2 ATM's at the hotel which you can use your bank card to with draw money. The rate is good and we never had a problem with getting pesos through our own bank. There is a nice store right by the ATM's which we thought wasn't that overpriced. The hotel deli wasn't open yet--they were getting ready for their high season. We ate at the restaurant Inzio our 1st night--we had the bacon/egg noodle dish and it was very good. The service was good and it was nice sitting outside on the ocean. Our room was on the 7th floor--#780 & 781. It overlooked the ocean and the pool area. The door overlooked the marina and this was very nice. The rooms are a bit old but it didn't bother us. We had a 1 bedroom with King size bed and a kitchen with living room. We had a jacuzzi off the bedroom which was on the balcony. This was nice to use at night listening to the waves. The tv's were flat screens--nice. We had 1 in the bedroom and 1 in the living room. They supply you with all the dishes you need. There is central a/c in the bedroom and the living room which we kept on all the time and cooled very well. The water pressure in the shower was very good. Our maid came every day and cleaned our room and left us new towels every day--unless the towels are hung up. The pool was beautiful--very lush. People were working every day on the pool area to keep it clean. The pool people were out around 7 or 8 cleaning the pool. The security guards are always walking around making sure that no one is there that shouldn't be there. The vendors on the beach are not allowed in the resort. The fence has been put up between Club Regina and The Westin didn't bother us. You don't even notice the fence because there is greenery on it. We felt it helped with privacy. The walk between Club Regina and The Westin to use the pool isn't that far. You are allowed to use their pool and the pool at the Villa accross the street--no charge. There is a outdoor shower for the beach at entrances to the beach. The chaise lounges for the beach are comfortable and the palapas are very nice to be in the shade. They were getting ready for their high season so the workers were putting up awnings and things. The pool side waiters were very nice and always came around asking if we were ok. Prices at the pool restaurant aren't that bad. The business center is on the 2nd floor (the floor marked L in the elevator). Once you get off the elevator you have to go to the left and around the corner. The business center is open from 8-7 or 7-7, not open on Sat and Sun. There is no charge to use the computers in the business center--it is a 15 min limit but it seemed they didn't really enforce this.

We always took a bus to town. The bus from the resort is at the end of the driveway out to the street--just a short walk down the sidewalk past the security guard. Take the Marina Vallarta bus and it goes all the way into town and to the Rio Cuale. This is where the Market is. The buses are not on a schedule so you may see buses parked. The drivers will usually be ready to go within about 5 or 10 minutes. It's 6.50 pesos ($.50 USD) to take the bus into town. The driver will make change but don't give them to big of bills--$20 peso bills are ok for 1 person though. They do speak English. We didn't have any problem with English--all the front desk people speak English. They will also make change for your pesos if you need smaller bills for the bus. The bus rides are very bumpy so hang on. Its a 15 minute bus ride to town. The bell boys are very nice and always say hello and ask if we need taxis. Don't take taxis to town--not neccessary and costs more. Only take a taxi if you are going to a specific location and don't want to walk. Otherwise if you want to walk and check out the city the bus is perfect. Most restaurants will take credit/check cards and it will be converted through your bank. We never had a problem using our check card. Victors in the Marina doesn't take cards so make sure you have enough pesos--we didn't so we had to use $20 USD. They were fine with that.

The in room safe is no charge. You pick your own 4 digit code and we didn't have a problem using it. We never worried about leaving stuff out. Going to Wal-Mart was very easy. The Marina Vallarta bus takes you right there. Not neccessary to take a taxi to Wal-Mart or take one back--unless you have A LOT of bags--we had 4 or 5 bags and no problem taking the bus back. The taxi drivers will try to tell you its going to be a long wait to try and get you to take a taxi so they can get the money plus tip. Beware of the timeshare people in the Marina. It was the worst here. There are some time share people down on the Malecon but it's not horrible there. Just say No Gracias and keep walking. They will eventually shut up.

We never felt unsafe walking around the resort at night. We didn't go downtown at night and never felt unsafe walking around town. There are a lot of police around and didn't worry about them stopping us. Don't worry about crossing the street in front of the police--everyone does it.

This was our 1st time in PV and staying at this resort and we definately will be back!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank luvsdolphins26
Utah
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We went during the last week of June and first week of July. The timing was perfect because it was before their high season (for locals). The resort was not crowded at all, very clean and comfortable. My children (4, 9 & 11) had an awesome time at the kid's club.
Puerto Vallarta has become one of our favorite places to visit in Mexico because of its charming small town atmosphere and plenty of activities to do. We did an outdoor adventure zip lining, rappelling and riding mules; this was the highlight of our trip of two oldest children.
We had just two thunderstorms during the evening and the weather was just great.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family