“Great Stay at Club Regina” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Club Regina Puerto Vallarta

Club Regina Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #42 of 127 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
“Great Stay at Club Regina”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2009

We stayed at Club Regina last week for a "girls trip" 10/9 through 10/14. Check in was smooth, we had a very nice 2 bdrm/3 bath unit on the 9th floor, plenty of room for 4 women. Room was good-sized, kitchen is small but serviceable, sofa bed was comfortable (although just sitting on the sofa not so great), beds are very comfortable. Plenty of room in the bathrooms for 2 girly-girls to spread out all of our stuff and get ready to go out on the town. The only real disappointment was that there is not a large balcony; rather, there are 2 small balconies, one off of each bedroom, but not enough room for the 4 of us to hang out together and enjoy the hot tub. Normally I'd say ask for a room in the front building for the best views, but there's a new resort being built and that's the building closest to the construction, so maybe not the best right now.
The resort was spotlessly clean, we were all very impressed. Beautiful grounds. Daily maid service was thorough. Business center with free email/internet. Sheoul Gallery staff was very helpful and matched prices we found in town (thanks Judy!). Activities desk was wonderful (ask for Mary). Front desk staff was not rude, but not particularly friendly either. We moved rooms to get a higher floor and Claudia was very accomodating about letting us see a couple different units. We had to have an adjustment made to our final bill because we weren't given a discount at the restaurant one night, they took care of it without any fuss.
Restaurants on property are expensive, food is fine. We at at Inizio a couple of times (bkfst & dinner) and at the pool one day. If you are an owner or trading in you get a 20% discount, be sure to confirm it on your bill when you eat. Happy hour 2 for 1 is different in different areas of the resort, it's 4-5 at the pool and 6-8 at Inizio/lobby bar. Took us a few days to figure this out.
Lots of on-site activities like kayaking, pottery painting, water aerobics, pool-side bingo, etc. We were a bunch of women travelling, but I would love to take my kids there. There's a nice playground on the grounds, and a trampoline. I think there's a kids club too. Beach is good for the PV Marina area, water is swimmable. Yes there are beach vendors, you're in Mexico, get over it. They can be kind of fun to haggle with.
We booked two things through the activities desk--spa services, and a tour to Canopy El Eden. The spa services were OK. At first we were amazed at how inexpensive they were. Then we found out that you go offsite, and the location was not a luxury spa, more like a shop in a strip shopping center in the States. Massage was OK, facials were outstanding, manicure/pedicure was mediocre. Spa staff was wonderfully friendly and overall we enjoyed the day, just don't go into it expecting a luxury spa experience.
Canopy El Eden was fantastic--zip lines, very entertaining staff, icy cold pond with a rope swing to cool you off at the end, tequila tasting. All for about $41 US. One of the fellows ziplining with us had paid $81 for the same tour, so the price through CR was outstanding. Oh, and the food at Eden is fantastic, but costs extra, cash only.
If you're looking for a downside to Club Regina, it's a little far from town in the Marina, which is not exactly a hopping part of town. You can take the 5.5 peso bus pretty easily, or a 100 peso taxi. If you want to go into town to shop, then back to resort, then back to town for the evening it's kind of far. Not nearly as far as Nuevo Vallarta though!
Overall a great resort I definitely would return, especially with my family.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank AnnabelleC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2009

We were a little leary of PV (not thrilled about the Pacific side)...but found it to be a very charming town. The Club Regina was great... room/staff and mostly location. We would definitely return. Could not get over the reasonaly prices from cabs to restaurants....!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
indianapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2009

I am at this resort RIGHT NOW! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! The room is great, I have a 1 Bedroom, which is a Bedroom and living room unit that have a door in the middle to lockoff. The wait staff in the resteraunt is VERY helpful and friendly. It is the off-season but the weather is perfect, 90 and sunny.......... the water is great! PLEASE< PLEASE < PLEASE Believe me.....This resort is FABULOUS. Go to Yuyas or Anitas resteraunt in Pitillal for traditional mexican (Dinner on Sat-Sun ONLY) which is about 20 minutes from the resort. Also Boca de Tomates is a lunch spot from about 11-6 for some of the BEST seafood you can get and IT IS CHEAP!!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Portland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2009

My husband and I are owners at Club Regina. We went to Puerto Vallarta June 14-21 with my brother and his girlfriend. The four of us range in age from 25-31. We stayed in our 2 bedroom, 3 bath suite that consisted of a small kitchen and living area (and bathroom) with a king bedroom, bathroom and jacuzzi on the balcony on either side of the living/kitchen area. In the living area there was a sofa that converted to a bed, although we only used it as a couch. There was a good sized round table with four chairs.

We arrived at Club Regina on Sunday, June 14th around 4 p.m. Check-in was a breeze. In the past we have had to wait for our room to be ready, but it was ready upon our arrival. We were assigned rooms 659, 660, 661. We found our suite to be very clean and well appointed. The only issue we had was that the electronic lock for the door to room 660 did not recognize either of our key cards, but the locks for 659 and 661 did. We reported this problem several times and each time they sent someone up, told us it was fixed, but it never actually worked for us. It was not a huge deal because we could easily use a different door, since we had three.

After checking in, we headed to Walmart for our groceries (food, alcohol, beer, etc) for the week. We're not big breakfast eaters so we always have items in the room to eat rather than having a big breakfast somewhere. We had ALOT of stuff and the bell staff were amazing. They just loaded it up into the crates that they have on a luggage cart and brought it all to our room. After freshening up a bit, we took a taxi to Pipis downtown for dinner. The food was fantastic, as always! I know some people don't love Pipi's but we happen to enjoy the food and atmosphere. It was while we are at dinner that the first rain of the season started.

On Monday, we relaxed by the pool and went to La Palapa for dinner and it was fantastic as always. Tuesday, we spent another day by the pool and went to the Blue Shrimp for dinner. The four of us shared the Shrimp Boat. Fantastic food! Wednesday, we spent on the Marietas Islands Eco Discovery through Vallarta Adventures. It rained that morning, so the boat ride out to the islands was not the best. I was expecting that the snorkeling and kayaking would take place from the beach, but it was actually from the boat and then after that you could be tendered to a beach for a short stint. The ride back to the Maritime Terminal was pleasant. We went to Victor's in the Marina for dinner and had another great meal. Thursday, I went to the Marina for a massage while the other three went on the Canopy Tour. I enjoyed my massage and they had a great time on the zip lines. Their only complaint was that they weren't allowed to take their own pictures and they pictures were $30 per person if they wanted to purchase them. Thursday night we went to the River Cafe for dinner. Another favorite of ours and it did not disappoint us! Friday night, my brother and his girlfriend went to Tikul for dinner which they said was quite good. My husband and I stayed at the hotel and ordered room service, as I wasn't feeling very well. The room service was prompt and the food was good. Saturday night there was the big concert on the Malecon and we had planned a nice dinner downtown, but would have had difficulty getting there for our reservation so we decided not to brave the expected crowd of 65,000 people and decided to eat at the Marina. We found that a lot of restaurants were closing early to allow their employees to enjoy the concert. We ended up at Victor's again and had another wonderful meal. We did shots of moonshine with Victor and had a great evening.

We also received the best exchange rate that we found at Club Regina. For the first several days the exchange rate was 13.2 and toward the end of our trip it was 12.8. In town, the rate was around 12.2, and then down to 11.8, if I remember correctly.

We will be back to Club Regina. The pool areas are meticulously maintained. There are palapas on the beach for the free use of Club Regina members. You have to pay for the pergolas if you wish to use them. Our rooms were extremely clean and I found our housekeeper delightful. We actually enjoyed watching the thunderstorms go through at night while sitting in our jacuzzi. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank KMRT
Park City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2009

I am a Club Regina owner and have stayed at this resort on 3 different occasions. Between Cabo, Cancun, and Puerto Vallarta---PV tops the list. In all, I have stayed in Cabo 4x, PV 3x, and Cancun 2x--Club Regina stays. Cabo has the best hotel but the beach isnt swimable it its somewhat in the boonies but I always rent a car in Mexico. Cancun has the best beach but PV is AUTHENTIC Mexico. Cancun and Cabo are very touristy in my opinion.

For those who give negative reviews about timeshare pitches, thats your own fault. Its a choice and just know that your in for a hard sales pitch and hours of your time. Professionally speaking, thats business. People suck in for the freebee's and get upset because they cant handle the pitch or pressure. I bought my timeshare from a buddy about 8 years ago (about 70% of what he paid) and have yet to sit down for one of their breakfast pitches. I know the gig and if Im going to upgrade my Raintree memebership. I dont need a bottle of tequila, dinner cruise, or car rental to suck me in.

The room are nice but getting a little dated but I cant complain because I pay $650 maintainece fee's a year and spend a week to 2 weeks in Mexico a year (I pay for the additional time or stay at another resort).

There are several pools, decent sized beach, and the service is good.

I eat at Taco's and Beer every day--its only about 75 yards from the hotel and like the closeness to the marina.

I cant complain about any time I have spent at Club Regina in PV.

My overall rating of the resort, "about" a 4.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank willicarj
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2009

I spent spring break at the PV Club Regina with my college-aged daughter and two of her friends and had a wonderful time. Check in was a breeze even though we were an hour early for check-in. Our 1 bedroom suite had a huge balcony with jacuzzi and plenty of seating. The kitchen area was small but very functional. Next time I will bring salt and pepper from home.

I am a member of the club so laundry facilities, health club and maid service were included. All the staff were wonderful and friendly. I was please at the constant upkeep - gardeners, floor polishing, walk scrubbing, minor painting - everything was spotless. My only gripe is that we tried to sign up for Kayaking on Monday and all the slots were reserved for the whole week.

The beach was great. There were plenty of free comfortable beach chairs in the shade or sun. The pools were beautiful, too. We didn't try the resort restaurants. We kept our expenses down by getting groceries for breakfast and lunch from Walmart. It is a short bus ride and was very inexpensive. I found a closer grocery store later in the week in the Marina Mall north on the main drag. For dinner, we loved the Italian restaurant in the Marina that has a patio over the water. We had also great food at Archie's Wok, Si Senior, Victor's and Tacos & Beer. We used the discounts available from the concierge to get 5-15% off some of the bills. They gave us a list of discounted restaurants when we checked in. The concierge also gave us a map for a 5 mile walk/run around the marina that was enjoyable.

We took the bus most places because it is only 5.5 pesos and the bus drivers do make change. The easiest bus stop is down the sidewalk past the Club Regina driveway guard on the right and through the break in the fence. The buses line up there because it is the end of the line.

We got the best exchange rate from the ATMs which are easy to find. In the airport, after you reach the end of the time share area, take two rights and there are 3 ATMs about 50 feet down the corridor. The one at the resort wasn't working but there is one at the OXXO across the street.

We found a great friendly pub called Harry's Bar, south of Rio Cuale at 328 Lazaro Cardenas. Harry is British, friendly and he gave us lots of good tips on PV.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Hingham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2009

This was the fifth straight year we stayed at the Club Regian during Presidents' Week. Again this year there was not a cloudy day nor a drop of rain. Mexico has had some bad press of late, but the people in PV love Americans.
Check in: We arrived at 1:00p.m. They said our room was not ready. I told them I'd take a room on a lower floor if it was ready now and there was in fact a second floor room that was ready. We were sitting at the pool by 1:30p.m.
The Room: We have friends who let us use their week (they own two weeks) for the cost of their maintenance fee. This year it was $628.00. It is a one bedroom suite with a living room, kitchen and two bathrooms. There is a pull-out couch in the living room. The room was clean and the kitchen had everything. We were missing a frying pan and called the desk. They had a brand new one in the room in 1/2 an hour.
Cabs: Cabs were 50% more expensive since 2008. With the spike in gas, this was to be expected. A ride to town was $6.00 instead of $4.00. Still a bargain!
Timeshare crap: To use the Fitness Room for free, the Computer Room for free and a 20% discount on food and tour packages, you must agree to the 90 minute presentation. The Fitness room is $10.00/day and they said $15.00/day for the computer room (but this is a lie. Anyone can use the computers). There is free coffee in the computer room every morning. My wife and I did the Timeshare presentation. For the 90 minutes we got an awesome buffet breakfast at the new restaurant. We brought the kids along as well. We also got two massages for $20.00 total, a Mexican blanket, and a bottle of good tequila. We already own 3 timeshares (else where) so we did not buy another one. We did however buy a Discovery Membership. This allows us to visit the resort each of the next four years for $499/ year for the first 3 years and $699 for the fourth year. We just finished reserving the room for 2010 President's week. This is a deal if you think you would like to return but don't want to spend $13K to buy a unit. It's even cheaper than the maint. fee we were paying each year!
Other Stuff: My kids went parasailing on the beach. They loved it. $40.00 each for about 15 minutes. We went on the Adventure tour. This included a boat ride, mule ride, several trapeze (canopy) rides, and a ride home. The cost was $85.00/person. CAUTION: BE IN SHAPE FOR THIS TRIP! Lots of uphill hiking. I also found out that if you book a tour in town they will do a buy one/get one different tour for free deal. You may want to check out the options on line before going to get the best deal.
Dinner: Had breakfast and dinner in the Marina at Victor's. You still get lots of free taquila, but I think they are watering it down more this year.
Had great dinners at Barcelona (Tapas) and El Arryone (traditional mexican food). Both require advance reservations.
My wife speaks Spanish and she loves talking with the cabbies and local people. I, on the other hand am referred to as the 'greengo". I enjoy the pool and great weather. It is 82 to 84 degrees with a light wind.... everyday. There are a few clouds in the morning until 9;00a.m. and then maybe some more after 4:00p.m. The rest of the day is 100 % sunshine.
We will be back for the next 4 years!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family