“Still a great Place to Visit”

Club Regina Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #43 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Chandler, Arizona
“Still a great Place to Visit”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We have been to PV many times and have always been happy with the Club. We spent 12 days in a 2 bedroom 3 bath grand suite on the top floor, 2 jacuzzi tubs and a great view. the unit has been mostly renovated except for the bathtubs, and some painting everything is done quite well. Some people are concerned about the fence, it is a silly attempt however you will barely notice it and it doesn't look bad. It is a shame Niki beach is gone that was always a fun place to hang out. the new resturant is very good for breakfast and dinner. The staff was very friendly and helpful with any requests that we had. PV feels as though it has been affected by the worlds problems like so many other cities in all parts of the world it is a shame. However the people are still as friendly and area are still as beautiful as ever. enjoy!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Global-Deep-Diver

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I have been a Club Regina time share member for over 20 years. I have visited Club Regina in PV more than a dozen times, but this was my first visit since it was purchased by Raintree Vacation Club and the first time I have been in Mexico in March. I was quite concerned about the 'fence' that had been built to divide the property from the Westin, but there are openings in a couple of places and it is relatively easy to walk between the resorts. As a member I was able to use the gym at the Westin (ask the helpful ladies at the concierge desk for vouchers) for no additional charge and that was appreciated. The rooms have all been upgraded now and look fantastic.
Why only three stars? I ate poolside on a few occasions and the food was truly awful and not inexpensive. I am not sure how you can serve cold food when it is so hot outside, but it proved no problem here. In the 13 consecutive years I visited Club Regina previously I saw the same members of staff year on year. After a 7 year hiatus and a purchase by Raintree I did not see one familiar face and this was disappointing. I used to feel that I had 'arrived' by staying at the Westin Club Regina, but I now have to wear a cheap all inclusive type wrist band that I really dislike. I also do not feel that the rooms are cleaned to the same standard they once were although they are clean enough. Wifi is only available in the lobby - they were working on it being available in the rooms when I was there, two months or so past their deadline - so having a quiet Skype conversation with loved ones was not possible. The resort itself was quiet enough, but one of the neighbouring resorts played loud music into the night.
I went into town a couple of times - twice to Memo's Pancake House which was as fantastic as I remember - and was stunned by how few people I encountered. I wondered if it was the time of year - I usually go to PV in January just after Christmas - but it was really sad. It felt like there were people around, but perhaps staying in the safety of their resorts?
This is a hard review to write. Coming to the Club Regina Puerto Vallarta used to feel magical to me and it did not this time, but there is nothing essentially wrong or bad with this resort (except the food at the pool snack bar). I don't think I can risk giving it a high recommendation and with all there is to choose from in PV you would be advised to shop around.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Sapphire22
Simpsonville, South Carolina
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I have been a Regina Club member for almost 10 years. This was the first time that I feel that buying a time share with them, was not a complete mistake after all.
The staff was very helpful, the facilities are very well kept and room had a great view.
Won't recommend the snack bar at the pool.
Occupancy was low during the first week in June so the pool was not crowded. Really nice!

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms on the left side of the main building as weddings are held during weekends and mu...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Alex S
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We stayed a week at the Club Regina in the Marina. Upon check-in, the concierge staff offered us a orientation and free promotions but were actually trying to sell us a timeshare. We are aware that this is a timeshare property, so we immediately told them we're not interested. The staff pretended that they were not selling timeshares, but just wanted to give us free gifts which we declined. They called us each day and left messages, but we never answered the phone.

We stayed in a 1-bedroom unit. The living area and bedroom were spacious and in average condition, but the bathrooms were gross and outdated. The bathroom floor and shower wall tiles were cracked and had mold and dark brown stains. The toilet seats had yellow, discolored stains. The "white" towels and bedsheets were also discolored and had stains. The restaurants on the property were not good, so we ate out everyday.

The beachfront area is very small and narrow, but the grounds are nicely landscaped and well-maintained. The service, security and lifeguard staff were very nice and friendly. The hotel has a business center with a free internet access, which was great. The hotel location is very convenient as it's close to the bus stops and the maritime terminal.

Overall, we would not recommend this hotel and will not return.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank destinytravels
San Rafael, CA
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We just returned from a week at Club Regina with our daughter and a friend. As usual, we had a great time. We have been an owner here for ten years and keep coming back. The staff is so friendly and accommodating (maybe partly because we come after the winter tourists and before the family influx in June, so things are rather slow.) The grounds are very nicely kept, with mature palm trees and beautiful flowering plants. We had several very delicious meals at the on-site restaurant Inizio. The ingredients are fresh and local (they even have a herb garden on the property), the waiters are efficient and helpful, and the outdoor patio is beautiful, overlooking the lawn and the beach.

The rooms are in the process of being renovated. Our kitchen was new and a great improvement over the old kitchen; we could actually cook in it! Some of the furniture is getting a little scruffy, but the bathrooms are in dire need of remodeling; hopefully this will be the next thing that is done. The fully remodeled "show" room looks great.

We love the city of Puerto Vallarta, and even though we now have a harder time physically getting on the local buses and walking, there are many cabs available at a moment's notice to take us anywhere we want to go, and for a reasonable fixed price according to the destination. We will keep coming back here as long as we are able to travel!

Room Tip: Rooms in the part of the building nearest to the Westin Hotel are quieter; many times on weekends th...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank margie1928
Oakland, Ca
Reviewed June 2, 2012

My wife and I have been coming here every other year since we bought a time share here sixteen years ago. Our favorite parts are the pool area, it's full of beautiful palm trees plenty of shade if you need it, pretty landscaping and swim up bars. Which brings me to my warning about the hamburgers. One afternoon I ordered one and watched them make it from scratch. First a huge bowl with ground beef, then they poured a good amount of catsup in it, followed by mustard, bread crumbs, canola oil, a few herbs and then mixed it all up. Then threw it on the flat grill to cook it. It was the worst burger I've ever eaten. It was more like meatloaf. It fell apart in the bun. Try the crevice instead or the guacamole.
They are currently updating some of the rooms, so when you check in, ask if you are next-door to one of above one. We had to move once due to the noise.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BayArea2
Ca.
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Please pinch me, to make sure that I was at the Club Regina that I had loved and stayed at so many times in our long time ownership at the Westins!

Times do change, but I had been to Club Regina Cabo last year, and it was the same beautiful property, so was not happy to see that my all time favorite Club Regina in PV was not the lovely 4 star hotel of past visits.

The bathrooms are in dire need of updating! Getting stuck in the master bath shower, because the door wouldn't open was pretty funny, but a good thing my husband was there to help me open it! Just warm water for a whole week, an sometimes, not even that!

The kitchen had been remodeled, and was lovely, but we ate our meals out. Nice to have for coffee in the morning though!

The reception at the front desk was chilly to say the least, and the icicles are still melting from that encounter! Finally did get into our room, but it was not an easy task!

I am so sad, as it was once our favorite place to stay, but sometimes, change is not for the best!!!

Room Tip: Get a higher floor if at all possible. Less pool noise
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends