“A small gallery with a wide range of pieces.”
Review of Peyote People

Peyote People
Ranked #5 of 41 Museums in Puerto Vallarta
More attraction details
Owner description: Peyote People specializes in the yarn paintings and bead art done by the Wixarika known as the Huichol Indians. For almost 20 years now we have been working with a couple very traditional families that live in the Sierra Madre mountains of Jalisco. You will also find a great selection of dance masks and Mexican folk art including Oaxacan black clay pottery, and wood carvings known as alebrijes. Ceramic pottery by Javier Servin from Gto. and the original Catrina sculptures from Capula Mich.
Edmonton, Canada
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“A small gallery with a wide range of pieces.”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

I have started to collect artwork from the indigenous people of the places I travel to. I was given a brief tour and explanation of the pieces on display. I was told who the most popular artists are and was told what to look for in each one's pieces. I was educated but not talked down to. I very much enjoyed my visit, love the piece I brought home and can't wait to return. They have pieces for the budget conscious to those who can afford to spend.

Visited March 2014

Decorah, Iowa
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Gallery has artisanía of the Huichol people”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Owner Kevin Simpson has studied the Huichol and other indigenous groups and has great yarn and beaded crafts from them. He also has the alebrijes (painted wooden animals) from Oaxaca, rugs from Oaxaca and felted animals from Chiapas. He deals directly with the artists and craftspeople, pays them fair price for their work and carries the best of their products. His other gallery, Colektica, carries the expensive, high end products and is not to be missed. If you are lucky Kevin will be in the store and you can talk with him about the Huichol people.

Visited January 2014
Morristown, NJ
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“World Class Collectible Folk Art”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Peyote People and its sister gallery features a broad array of tribal art from the native tribes of Mexico with an emphasis on the Huichol's. This is the real deal, not the crap one sees all around the PV area. The art that Kevin sells is purchased by museums and sophisticated collectors around the world; he has coordinated global exhibitions around the world to celebrate the art that these tribal masters create. If you appreciate

Visited November 2013
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best huichol art in Mexico”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

The owner of the gallery is a true expert in Huichol art. He takes the time to explained all the pieces, shows you the history of the huichol art and of the artist. His prices honestly are cheaper than a lot of the tourist traps. If you are in Puerto Vallarta and would like to buy some great art stop by this store. BTW I am a Mexican and the owner knows 1000 more than I will ever know.

Visited May 2013
McLean, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Unique Museum-Quality Mexican Folk Art”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife, daughter and I visited Peyote People this March. We discovered the shop after researching the Art Walk and looking at the websites of all the galleries that are included in the Wednesday night walks. One of the shops, Colectika - a 'sister shop' of Peyote People, caught our attention. We have been collecting Mexican art for twenty years and have a wide variety of pieces ranging from day-of-the-dead to rare prints to Mata Ortiz pottery. I am always looking for unique and high-quality works of art that are almost NEVER found in touristy shops. We visited Peyote People and Colectika, both shops owned and managed by Kevin and Betty Simpson. We purchased items from each location, but we were most impressed (blown away!) by the items at Colectika, and collection of very high-end, extremely unique works by natives who are experts in their crafts. The gallery is beautiful and the Simpsons obviously care as much about presentation and education as they do about selling art. We purchased a fabulous wood carving created by Jacobo and Maria Angeles and an intricately beaded bull skull (which got interesting looks as we went through customs!). My only complaint with Peyote People and Colectika is that their are so many gorgeous pieces that it took us two days to decide what to take home with us. With limitless funds, we would have purchased far more.

Visited March 2013