“Outstanding food ...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Old Town Bistro - CLOSED

Old Town Bistro
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Located on Basilio Badillo #180 in the heart of Old Town Vallarta Old Town Bistro is now serving Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner. Old Town Bistro Features World Class International Cuisine by award winning chef/owner Kenneth Tanasy. Our menus include many classical dishes along with new and innovated entrees that will excite everyone. The menu also includes premium steaks and chops, outstanding seafood and pasta dishes. Old Town Bistro is a place where you always know you'll get the best of everything. Old Town Bistro features a romantic dining room and an elegant cocktail lounge with comfortable furnishings decorated with soothing warm tones. The lounge area also features a softly lit bar with comfortable couches and love seats. Guests will enjoy the sounds of trickling water from its unique fountains situated throughout the restaurant. Old Town Bistro's lounge which has several areas for intimate conversation or private business discussions makes it the perfect place to relax and perhaps order something from our appetizer menu.
Chicago, Illinois
“Outstanding food ...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

Just left the Old town Bistro, had a wonderful mean. The pasta just melted in your mouth, the chicken was tender with a light but creamy white sause. The pork tenderloin was outstanding...no really Moist, full of flavor, unreal experience... I would recommend this place to anyone visiting ... Only draw back was service was slow.. but nothing unusual for the area.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
“New Years Eve visit....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

We happened into this restaurant by chance....we had had reservations at another tiny, local restaurant, but upon arrival--we found that it was closed (family emergency???). Instead of returning home---(we have lived in PV fulltime for three years)----we decided to see what else was out there in the form of a restaurant where we had no reservations.
First three restaurants were full and we needed a reservation.....until we got to the Old Town Bistro.
I asked the lady at the door if they had a table for two---for someone without a reservation---if no we would be dining at the local McDonalds!
Yes they did---back in the corner---by the music.
It was a nice setting---we had been watching the redo of this place since Nacho Daddies had moved out...
We were presented with the menu of the evening---a special New Years Eve menu of basically five items---all in English. My partner is Mexican and I asked if they had a menu for him in Spanish---no---was the answer from the young waiter.
Oh well! I guess I can translate....
We were asked if we wanted to order something to drink---since we are both on temporary meds that required no alcohol--we order two diets cokes.
I think they wanted us to order wine from their wine list or drinks from their bar. The young waiter looked a bit shocked at this--I don't know why? Maybe because it was a special night....
we received our diet cokes right away.....
15 minutes later young waiter came back to take our food order.....soup or salad, main course, desert choice......
15 minutes later we got a bread basket with butter delivered to us by a different waiter.....
20 minutes later we got our soup delivered by the bread and butter waiter....
My diet coke was finished---I started sharing my partner's..... no one asked if I wanted another...
My partner and I were seriously thinking of getting up and leaving (paying for what we had received so far!) just before we finally got our soup.
My partner spoke something in Spanish to the waiter which consisted of the fact that we were both NOT HAPPY with the service so far.
The table of four---next to us---arrived after us and were already on their main course---we were still waiting for our soup....
Are we being treated differently because we didn't have a reservation?????? Or is it because the wait staff is very disorganized.
The lady who sat us came to turn a fan on--thinking we were hot, but we were a bit chilly due to the rainy weather---the table next to us told her to turn it off please---their hair!
We finally were served our main course by a different waiter------me---prime rib, etc. and my partner---baby lamb chops, etc.
THE FOOD---when we got it---WAS EXCELLENT!!!!
The dishes were removed on time---but we were not asked if we wanted another drink---nor did we indicate that I would like another diet coke--I should think that this would be their job.
Our desert arrived in a very short time---it was preordered when we first placed our order---it was a package deal.
Our desert dishes were removed and we asked for our check---since we were very tired of sitting and the guy playing music (an electronic piano) about five feet from us was giving me a headache----doesn't he ever take a break! He literally played the whole time we were sitting---at least two hours.
WE WAITED FOR OUR CHECK---20 MINUTES! We spent the time talking to the large table near us---tourists from Vegas. They were waiting for their check also---longer then us.
We finally decided to get up and walk to the front desk---for our check!
Very disorganized wait staff....maybe part the blame of the owners---who I guess were on the floor---but never approached us!
All in all----Very nice décor, Excellent food---but you really need to get your act together with the service. Service is just as important---if not more--than the décor and food quality.
In defense--it was New Year's Eve----the place was full---but it wasn't that busy!
I think we were just forgotten---being in a rear, corner table---without reservations.
The check total was 826 pesos....the lady who did the check said nothing after I said I was not happy with the service. My partner also said it in Spanish in case she didn't understand English---no reaction!
WE DIDN'T EVEN RECEIVE A "THANK YOU---COME AGAIN"---WHEN WE LEFT!
I'm going to chock this up to only being open a few months---but the owners are experienced restaurant operators.
We will give this joint another try---on a different day! I usually give three chances. If two of the three visits are like the one we experienced last night (New Year's Eve)----there are other places to dine at.
TIP----To Insure promptness Sorry no tip tonight and we always tip 15-20%---having been in the business as are many of our friends! I was embarrassed at not leaving a tip, but damn it!

THIS IS MY FIRST TIME OSTING ON THIS SITE----BUT I'M JUST A BIT TICKED OFF TO LET OUR BAD EXPERIENCE GO UNNOTICED!

I'm hoping the owners read this and make changes.......

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Traveldr2014
Branford, Connecticut, Usa
“Fabulous new spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

What a find. This restaurant opened in November. They redesigned the space into an elegant spot. The food is exceptional. Gorgeous presentation leads you to expect delicious tastes and you will not be disappointed. The lamb lasagna is outstanding. Stuffed shrimp are moist and outstanding. The Ceasar salad is perfect. One of the most exceptional meals in PV. You will leave raving about each bite.

Dallas, Texas
“Great food and ambiance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

I ate at this restaurant twice during my 13 days in PV. My group was very pleased both times. The first time there were 6 of us and we asked for separate checks which was graciously accomodated. We all ordered something different and everyone was happy. Three of us ate there Christmas eve which can sometimes be chaotic. The restaurtant offered their regular menu which we appreciated. The ambiance, good service and delicious food made the evening very special. My husband and I are huge fans of Chile en Nogades and it was decilious. I would certainly recommend it.

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
“Great skirt seak!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

Six of us went there last night, everyone was more than happy with their choices and commented how good they were, service was excellent, staff were more than friendly, what more can you ask for!