“Wonderful view”

Ranked #116 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Rome, Italy
“Wonderful view”
Reviewed September 11, 2007

I was in Puerto Vallarta only 2 nights on October 2005, on our tour of north-west part of Mexico (from Mexico City to Nuevo Laredo).
We din't booked our stay in advance, but we find this hotel on the way.
The location of the hotel is wonderful, with a memorable ocean view. The hotel and the rooms are furnished with Mexican woods carvings. The pool is great, with spectacular surrondings.
Our room was very big, clean, with wonderful view, but not renovated.
Breakfast in the morning was really poor!
The rate was absolutely reasonable!
The only problem is: The hotel need some renovations! (big renovation!).
Sorry if my english is not perfect.

• Liked — Ocean view
  • Disliked — It is an old building: needs some renovations!
  • Stayed October 2005, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank FedericaRoma_Italy

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Anchorage, AK
Reviewed March 25, 2007

Saw the above review and wanted to provide a contrasting perspective on the Mar Sereno. My wife and I recently spent two weeks in two different resort hotels in both Nuevo and Puerto Vallarta, and without getting into too many editorial comments on that scene, we'd seen about all we needed to see of that, so we went looking for something a little more our speed. We found it at the Mar Sereno. The hotel still appears to be undergoing some renovation, but we certainly did not encounter the conditions described by the previous reviewer. Our room was gigantic, with windows on three sides, an unbelievable ocean view (I believe all the rooms face the ocean), and the friendliest staff I have encountered in Vallarta. The rate was very agreeable as well.
A final thought: This hotel is one of the most memorable hotels I have stayed in in all of my travels in Mexico, and it is an authentic Old Mexican hotel. If your tastes tend more toward the type of hotel that allows you to forget that you've ever left town, this one may not be for you. If you like the real thing, try the Mar Sereno. We will certainly be back.

• Liked — View, Staff, Price, Atmosphere
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank hawgdrver
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 29, 2006

Just got back from Puerto Vallarta and stayed at the Mar Sereno. The pros: The saltwater pool is great and the little madmade beach area with palapa's. The view is wonderful. We saw many whales in the short time we were there. The pool is very nice and was always empty. The manager who spoke English was very nice and helpful. Very quiet location. They serve breakfast but never quite on schedule. Sometimes their there and sometimes not.

The cons: the beds are hard as rocks. The bathroom gets soaking wet everywhere b/c the shower fixtures were shotty and sprayed all over. Only one man speaks English and if he is not working and you dont speak Spanish you are our of luck. The rooms themselves are just okay. There are broken fixtures and holes here and there but for the price you can deal with this.

We highly recommend Chicos about 10 minutes up the road for dining, along with Le Cliff. The restaurant in Boca de Tomatlan is quaint and the food is cheap and good. The Pancake House in El Centro was very good but get there early for breakfast or make reservations.

Snorkeling was disappointing, but I grew up in HI so am somewhat picky. There are no reefs to speak of so it is somewhat boring if you ask me. The water taxi's to Yelapa or other areas past Boca are recommended for a full day of interesting fun and sun on empty beaches. Very cheap and easy.

The Flea Market in El Centro was fun. You can find the same exact stuff for half the price or less in smaller villages and towns though.

Last tips, change money back to your currency anywhere but the airport. You will get ripped off. Walking across the bridge is very easy and worth it to catch a taxi. The airport taxi's are also a big ripoff. For departures I would highly suggest, checking all stuff in, going through customs, etc..early in the morning then coming back. The lines get very, very long in all areas of the airport and missing your flight is a high possibility if you cut it too close.

• Stayed January 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 21, 2005

I loved this place. I am returning next month. The rooms are very beautifully furnished with Mexican wood carvings and hand tiled floors and bathrooms. The kitchen has hand tiled countertops and stained glass windows. Each room has a beautiful view. Everything was lovely. And very exclusive. The staff was great and more than accomodating to both my husband and me.

I've stayed at a lot of hotels, and I can tell you that this is a WINNER. It's true that they are a 15 minute taxi ride from the bustling downtown and that they don't have dinner in low season, but you don't need noise from downtown when a bus or taxi will get you home and you don't need dinner when you can order breakfast at 3 in the afternoon, with a smile!!! Try doing that at any of the other better known named hotels (Sher...Holid... etc).

If you want comfort, relaxation and a beautiful environment, and must a mention, a GREAT PRICE, this is the hotel for you.

Happy vacationing!!!

• Stayed June 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chic. IL
Reviewed March 7, 2005

This hotel needs MAJOR renovations! I do not see how they can even allow anyone to stay there the place is in such disrepair! We were told by the front desk manager that this place has a new owner and will be fixed up one room at a time. We booked online after seeing the photos available online and the general information. Do not book this place without seeing it first. We paid in advance for 9 nights and lost our money. We were just glad to get out of the place. I have written a longer review in the regular Trip Advisor section and you can e-mail if you like. The place was just awful and it is too bad because the surroundings are fabulous. I have pictures if anyone wants to see.

10 Thank B4AliKat