“Our first visit to PV and gorgeous Casa Isabel!”
Review of Casa Isabel

Casa Isabel
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Just realized we never posted a report on our first impressions of Puerto Vallarta and CI, we loved this trip and will return to Casa Isabel again.

Casa Isabel -
Arrived Casa Isabel around 7PM and settled in and enjoyed dinner and cocktails. Arturo and Aldo greeted us and took care of us the first couple of days, and then Alecio (spelling) and Manual were our main babysitters the remainder of our stay. We met Carol who was very friendly and became fast friends with Mick (more on Mick later). Michael is managing CI for Isabel and was also very helpful with any questions we asked ort anything that we needed.
We stayed in room 313 which is just steps from the main pool and the larger infinity edge pool and affords a beautiful view of town and the ocean (as most rooms do). The extra 1/2 bath was very convenient and I would opt for this room next visit if available. Our friends stayed in room 402 one floor up, and they were just steps from the smaller infinity edge pool just 1 flight of stairs up from them. Their room was very similar to 313 except there is one bathroom and it is a little smaller. But both rooms would be very comfortable for a couple.

A wedding party booked the remaining rooms at CI at the last minute (a real surprise for us!). But every day the four of us and a very nice Scottish newlywed couple had the entire property to ourselves and it was very quiet and relaxing. The wedding party had a late night party on Fri and invited all of us (they were a very nice group from Houston), but my wife was not feeling great and so I just sat out at the other end of the pool and enjoyed a nice Cuban cigar and while listening to the band the wedding party had hired. The band was excellent and played a Beatles medley, which got me thinking about what pvjenny had said earlier about the Los Bandidos. I quickly lost that train of thought as I continued to enjoy their music and next morning I asked the bride-to-be who the band was and you guessed it – Los Bandidos! So I did get a chance to really enjoy them after I thought I had missed that opportunity... Strange how things work out...
We were sorry to have missed Isabel as she sounds like an amazing lady. We walked up the hill a couple of times and taxied back from town other nights, apparently she walks the hill regularly for exercise! But Casa Isabel is a very nice boutique hotel overlooking PV and Banderas bay and we would not hesitate staying there again.

Dining & sightseeing -
We enjoyed dinner at CI a few nights, and their restaurant week special was very good. I’ve seen recent reviews of CI that were less than positive, and although we can’t compare our experience to earlier visits we were very pleased with the cuisine and the service at CI. We also enjoyed lunching at a few spots in Old Town, although we didn’t make it to many of the places on our list. The standout of all of the restaurants we did try was Tony’s Please. We met JR at Pour Favor for the Tuesday M&G and asked what he would recommend for 4 people with different appetites. He led us down the street to Tony’s and sat with us until we decided to order and then made his way to Que Pasa. Each of us ordered a different item from the menu and we all loved our choices. I have to say that the pepper steak was absolutely right on the money. JR I want to buy you the crepes at Tony’s next visit.
We actually very much enjoyed Pour Favor and returned there twice while exploring town. Wayne actually knows our hometown because he went to college nearby. Great guy and a great place to meet other folks! I also enjoyed some great cigars I bought around the corner from Rogelio, very knowledgeable fellow.

We walked the Malecon of course and we were just a little disappointed when we found it was lined mostly with the trinket shops until we got to the condos, not sure what I was expecting really but we stayed closer to the water to avoid the less aggressive hawkers. Beautiful statues and we did see 3 groups of dolphins just off shore one day. Old Town or the romantic zone was definitely our favorite area of PV, great little shops and restaurants and a nice vibe.

We chose 2 excursions with Vallarta Adventures, we actually booked through info@tourdeals.com with Kim Phillips for the best price. She’s an independent agency and is not affiliated with Vallarta Adventures, but she works very closely with them and can answer any questions in a timely manner. Kim is very easy to work with and I would highly recommend booking with her for any of the VA excursions – same experience for 30% less and you can change your times/dates up to the last minute which you cannot do booking through VA.
We took the Rhythms of the Night excursion last Wed evening, there is a little confusion on the times offered because VA makes changes as they receive more bookings. So what was a 7PM departure from the marine terminal with dinner followed by the show became a show followed by a late dinner because an earlier 6PM departure was added. Finally after several phone calls to get clarification on exactly what the options were we changed to the 6PM departure. We arrived 7PM and enjoyed dinner and cocktails, and I have to say this was one of the best dining experiences we enjoyed during our 2 weeks in PV! It was a buffet-style dinner and the food was excellent with many choices. Wine, tequila, and other beverages were free-flowing until we were summoned by a sound to the show. As night fell we were directed to an ampi-theater and a very interesting and well choreographed presentation. I don’t want to give away too much but I will say that this excursion is a must-do in our opinion. We met others who have enjoyed this 3 and 5 times already and return to treat friends and family to the experience. Just an excellent evening that you would be happy you booked. There are private restrooms along the paths with candlelight, be careful as my wife inadvertently burned her purse strap! But a very romantic setting and wonderful experience. The boat ride there and back is nice, and the crew does an excellent job in entertaining you and keeping a drink in your hand.

We also took the Majahuitas and Yalapa excursion on a Fri, this includes a photo stop at Los Arcos followed by a snorkel stop at Majahuitas then on to Yalapa. We stopped at an alternate location for snorkeling due to large numbers of jellyfish reported at Majahuitas. We saw many fish from the boat and from the water. Yalapa was an experience, we may have enjoyed it more on our own and considered taking a bus to Boca and a water taxi over to Yalapa instead of the excursion. But the excursion worked well, we walked the town and the steps to the falls and then went to the beach. The beach is very rough sand and you sink quite a bit as you walk along the beach. We did see the other Casa Isabel which is home to the infamous “Poop Buckets”.

We did not make it to Mismaloya or Bucerias unfortunately, and that simply means we must return – oh well!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bluewater_464
There are newer reviews for Casa Isabel

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I have not stayed at Casa Isabel, but I want to soon. I have, however eaten there five or more times. The view is incredible, the service top notch, and the food is wonderful. I have never had a bad meal, not one. I have been to Vista Grill, even Hacienda San Angel, lovely, but expensive. At Casa Isabel I have had the same view and a filet mignon for 160 pesos. Just go there.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jmcgillin
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Wonderful place, amazing view and gorgeous rooms! The view alone will leave you speechless though, everything else is just icing on the cake. I wish I had been able to experience the restaurant but it was closed for renovations. Maybe next time, because we will definitely come back to this place.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Just returned from ten days at Casa Isabel. We have been frequent visitors to the restaurant during the winters while we stay in Puerto Vallarta at an RV park and always wanted to stay at the hotel.

Went for our 35th wedding anniversary in June. Everything was fabulous. We stayed in a one bedroom suite that was spacious, comfortable and very attractive. Our view of the Pacific was great.

The staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome. Many thanks to all, especially Alisio, Brenda and Michael.

It is quieter in the low season so perfect for relaxing while enjoying the city.

Room Tip: Pretty sure our room was 401..anyway it was the one bedroom just under Isabel's suite. We loved...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My husband and I renewed our wedding vows at Casa Isabel on May 4th! The venue was to die for! The staff was so wonderful! They used the decorations I brought with me and turned my vision into a reality. We stayed in the Cristal Suite (Room 424) and decorated our balcony for the ceremony (and the railing all the way down to the pool deck). It was absolutely beautiful!! The reception dinner was just outside our suite in the area by the fireplace, it was also decorated beautifully (thank you Allicio and Omar). The food was prepared perfectly and was delicious!! The hotel is amazing, the view is breathtaking!! You can see fireworks most every night around 10:00. Also loved the "house" dogs, Freddy, Madison, Bella and Jen. Also "Scooter" the cat came to visit us a few times at our encouragement. They are kept tucked away but we visited them every morning and every night and got to know them!! Every morning we walked down the hill to Feddy Tucan or Pancake house (on same street) for breakfast, the food is absolutely delicious (Breakfast at Casa Isabel was ok, but dinner is superb).For those brides who have a wedding dress to clean after your event, suggest you get that done in Mexico, it costs about $18.00 US dollars as apposed to about $125-175 in the states. As others have mentioned about Casa Isabel, there is a lot of road noise from the traffic below, but after the first night, it just became part of the environment and we didn't even hear it, slept like a rock! The hill up to the Casa is a bit of a challenge, but for a small taxi fare, you are at the door, no problem! Some taxi's don't know where Casa Isabel is, so you have to tell them it is near Vista Grille and they all know where that is!! In a nutshell, for anyone considering Casa Isabel, it is simply wonderful (make sure you can do steps though). We are already planning a return trip!! I will add photos later!

Room Tip: Both honeymoon suites are very beautiful (but no real kitchen, small fridge and a hot plate only). O...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karen C
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Casa Isabel is amazing!! The rooms are so fantastic the view leaves you speechless. The view from all the rooms and pool/hot tubs will make you feel like you've entered another world. The wait staff at the bar/restaurant is amazing. They are all so friendly! They are efficient and do their most to make your visit and stay the best experience ever! The food, oh the food, is amazing their coconut shrimp and shrimp cocktail are amazing along with their cocktails. Their coffee is a bit strong but it gets you going in the am. Overall a must stay for someone looking for a great relaxing boutique hotel in PV.
-Holly

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank HollyChambers1
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We had dinner at Casa Isabel and loved it and wanted to come back. We own a condo in Quayabitos, but that dinner was so memorable that we wanted to stay at Casa Isabel in P V. Well we did that and had another memorable dinner. Great staff, great views, great food....everything is 1st class we went to bed last night looking at the Bay of Banderas, and woke up to the same gorgeous view. I had a hot tub on the upper terrace at 7:00 AM...what a view. We highly recommend it for the quality and value.

Room Tip: From what I have seen, all rooms are great.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple