“Very nice resort”

Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #13 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 27, 2007

The food was by far the best of any all inclusive I have stayed at. The tennis pro, Omar, was nice enough to hit some with me even though there were not enough people to do a clinic. The beach was very nice and the waves are so loud you cannot believe it. Great experience overall and it is a family freindly beach too. Mostly Americans and Canadians for guests, not many Europeans.

3  Thank funtravellerArkansas
Write a ReviewReviews (7,952)

Reviewed March 25, 2007

what a wonderful place to visit and enjoy a nice relaxed vacation. plenty to do and see. My wife and I went there for the first time and plan on returning for more fun. The weather this time of the year was outstanding. The people at the hotel were very attentive and always available for anything. The "all inclusive" was outstanding. The food was good but the alcohol was average.

6  Thank rrodri
Reviewed March 24, 2007

We stayed for six nights (3/13 - 3/19) and our family had a great time. The beach, food, service and rooms were excellent. Our room had a fantastic ocean view (I think they all do). In addition all restaurants except the Mexican restaurant have ocean views. The entertainment was ok but not as good as some of the larger all-inclusive resorts. The weather in March is perfect and the ocean water is in the mid 70's which was very nice.

8  Thank doverbay
Reviewed March 23, 2007

If you are considering an all-inclusive for a stay in Puerto Vallarta, think about staying at Dreams. Its high points include the following: plenty of beach chairs and palapa huts on the beach; very good food; and an overall ambience that is quite pleasant. We give it a grade of "A."
We just returned with our two junior high kids from a week there. Dreams resembles the other all-inclusives we've visited in Mexico, i.e., it has the same basic assortment of programs for young and old, specialty restaurants, optional excursions, etc. Dreams excels in several areas.
1. The beach scene is very relaxing. You don't have to set your alarm to rise early and stake out a lounge chair at dawn while listening to the grackles, as in some places. You can play volleyball or other water sports if you choose, but you're not blasted awake by music throbbing across the sand.
2. The food frequently reaches great heights of quality. You don't (can't) make reservations at the restaurants, but time spent waiting for a table (which will be necessary at peak hours) is made up for by the splendid scenery. Vallarta has a magnificent spring climate and gorgeous views: Rugged Sierra Madres rising right out of the bay. The sunsets over the water are unforgettable. Dreams has done a fine job of placing and designing its eateries to take advantage of the setting.
3. The property as a whole has a zen-like feel. Its spaces have an openness. The employees radiate relaxation. Every room has an ocean view; the two wings with the rooms are designed so that all the rooms face the bay. It is hard to overstate the beauty of the bay area. We sailed on one day and saw migrating whales, while going up into the hills the next day to do zip-line touring of the forest. Any hotel in that kind of spot is well placed to exploit its location, and Dreams has done a fine job of helping you feel like you fit in comfortably.
4. The staff members with whom we dealt were exceptionally kind and helpful. The bartenders and waitstaff treated us very well. The kitchen staff must be pretty good, too, because the food is genuinely excellent. The food may be the finest overall that we've ever had at a resort in Mexico, although when I refer to the food, I suppose that includes the overall feel that comes from the setting as well.
Shortcomings? A few.
1. The property is south of the main part of town, so you cannot walk off-site at a whim and stroll into the city center. If you want to do that (or go elsewhere, e.g., the marina), you have to take a cab. Even the athletic won't want to brave walking along the busy roadway. (This slight separation allows the place to dispense with wristbands for its guests; when you come and go, you just tell the guard your room number). If you want to be in the vortex of town, consider another place or bring cab fare.
2. The hallways and rooms have hard surfaces, so sounds echo intensely. We had to cope with loud teenage guests on our floor each night as they returned from carousing at 2 or 3 a.m. The management did not distinguish itself in quieting them, although Dreams apparently tries not to attract notorious spring-breakers.
3. Don't show up right at check-in time and expect your room to be ready. We saw several exasperated guests unable to gain admission to their rooms because they weren't clean yet. We ourselves had to wait too but didn't let it bug us. I(f you want perfection as a precondition to being happy, avoid Mexico altogether and consider antidepressants while you're at it.) Either be prepared to chill out for an hour, or come a bit late.
4. The gym could use another couple of treadmills.
In sum, this is a very pleasant, laid-back property that takes on a romantic tinge in the evenings. If that's your style, Dreams is for you.

16  Thank dmgHouston
Reviewed March 20, 2007

we just returned fom dreams puerto vallarta and had lots of fun.
I wanted to write and say that Alex, shela, and jessica from the
entertanment team were verry good and took care of everything
we needed and I just wont to to say thanks for a wonderfull time
hope to see or here from them soon. THANKS AND GOOD BYE
David holliday......

6  Thank Dholliday
Reviewed March 19, 2007

Stayed Mar 5 - 14, 2007. Weather was excellent not to mention everything about the resort!

If you've never been to Puerto Vallarta the ABSOLUTE worst you'll experience is the airport on arrival after customs. You'll run a guanlet of 'pseudo-offical' looking types trying to sell you time-share condo's, high-priced transport services, etc.., etc. with demanding that you follow them. Don't do it, just ignore them!

A Taxi to Dreams is about $21-22 and return trip is $12 plus tip.
I paid, $24 to Dreams and $15 from Dreams, for 2 people with tips. Never quite understood why it cost more to leave the airport than return, was told it was regulated by the Government (hearsay - I guess)

We stayed in Room 1417 of the old tower, super view, and it didn't have a balcony, AND we didn't care. The total open floor to ceiling wall of windows with a doorwall brought the outside into the room. You might have to close the doorwall, the sound of the waves and warm breeze might really annoy a light sleeper.;)

Other reviews have really told you about this resort, so it's hard to add more other than we'd have no problem recommending or going back again in a "heart beat".

any questions, contact me

5  Thank vkingta
Reviewed March 19, 2007

This was my (then) fiance and I's first trip to a resort area in Mexico, and I was so excited for the vacation to begin. We were having a destination wedding in Puerto Vallarta, and after looking for the perfect hotel to accomodate our guests, we chose Dreams. I read all the reviews and talked to a few locals, all of whom really made me feel comfortable in booking with Dreams. Well, most of us were able to book at Dreams while four of our guests, were unable due to the hotel booking up--at least that is what many websites stated. If you called the hotel directly, they had several rooms available, only at a very high price. This was frustrating, but what could we do.
Well, when we arrived I was very happy with what I saw! Beautiful, lush tropical plants everywhere; our room had a great view of the ocean and was very clean! The service was excellent coming in with the bellboys and front desk workers. Everyone seemed really on top of it! That evening, we ate at the "World Cafe" which is the buffet restaurant, and the food was delicious! I really enjoyed the buffet and ate there on several occasions over my course of stay. The breakfast was great and provided us with a wide variety of foods to try; while still maintaining traditional fare. It was great. While at dreams I also ate at, the Seaside Grill--excellent for lunch but not so much for breakfast; Portofino--overrated, I thought the food was generic tasting; and Oceana--very good for fresh fish and also romantic in the evening.
The only problems that I had with Dreams were that, my grandparents who were part of my wedding day were not allowed in the hotel at all! My grandma speaks perfect traditional Spanish, so there was no language barrier! They were supposed to be at the hotel during the day to help me get ready for the wedding and photography pictures. Needless to say our photographer--whom I didn't know was allowed in, but not my own family! I was not a happy bride after hearing that news. We did have our wedding at a different location in PV. We were wed at Le Kliff restaurant which was an excellent restaurant all around! They were an excellent restaurant to eat at, the view and the service was impecable! Anyway, then the staff wanted to charge $270 US dollars for my cousin to come onto the grounds for simply two hours! I was a bridezilla at this point, and found the evening staff to be lacking. The daytime staff was great to work with, we were able to have the concierge help make hair appointments, order a birthday cake, and my mom ordered me flowers and arranged for a bottle of champagne for our special night of the wedding. All in all I had a great stay, but I was not pleased with how the staff interacted with my grandparents and cousin. Had I not had those problems, I would have had a better stay all around!

4  Thank crvacations