Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Flamingo Vallarta Hotel & Marina(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$82
$49
$241
$184
Bookit.com
Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel & Romantic Getaway(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$242
$196
$396
$220
  • Pool
Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$149
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$207
$154
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Puerto Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$271
$182
Hotel Mousai(Puerto Vallarta)
$352
$324
8,354 results
All reviewsclub towerseaside grillprivate beachpreferred towerolder towerworld cafedreams resortblaze restaurantjungle treksunset barmain poolmain towerrock climbingturtle releaseall inclusive resortfire showasian restaurant
FilterAll languages
San Jose, Ca.
Reviewed September 5, 2005

We spent a week at Dreams with our kids (5 and 12).
A week was too long! 3 days would have been perfect. The kids were bored most of our trip.

The bad-Our room smelled musty and moldy. Beds are rock hard. No activities for kids.
The good- The beach is beautiful.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 2, 2005

My husband and I visited Dreams Aug 26 - 30. This was my second trip to an all inclusive, and his first. My other experience was with the Iberostar Lindo in Playa Del Carmen (which I highly recommend if you are looking at the Carribean).

The Dreams hotel was beautiful. It's old and charming, yet they keep it clean. The room was spacious and comfortable. Yes, the bed was hard, however I like a soft bed best yet slept just FINE. If you have a problem however, ask for a mattress topper - they do have them. The balconies in the Suites tower were AWESOME - huge, and with lounge chairs (not just sitting chairs as is usually standard). Watching the sting-rays (manta-rays?) in the ocean from our balcony was very cool!

The food was good, but not exceptional. Room service was always fast and hot, so no complaints there. I'm pretty easy going about food (ie: anything I don't have to cook is awesome!) and was satisfied, but not terribly impressed. The Oceana restaurant had the best dinner by far. If you're travelling with a spouse / significant other - you must do the romantic dinner on the beach, this appeared fantastic!

August is the heart of the rainy season. Our experience was that while humid and hot in the daytime, a dip in the pool quickly relieves this. Rain started in late afternoon / early evening and ranged from moderate to severe. One night we completely lost power to the hotel. While as a couple looking for romance this was not a problem, if I'd have been with kids they'd have flipped. Weather, however, is not under the hotel's control, and in my opinion they handled it flawlessly. Generators kicked in, and they fixed the electricity quickly given the significance of the outage.

We were bummed to have the nightly movies on the beach cancelled due to weather. We did not see any of the shows, rather ate a late dinner at sunset each night.

We tipped, though I sincerely doubt our service would have changed regardless. The vast majority of the staff were very friendly, attentive, and they aimed to please regardless of compensation.

As for the theft, we did not experience this. We (to our shock) accidentally left our cameras out one day while we were out and they were fine upon our return. After the power outage, our lock on the door did not function, and this was remedied immediately upon our reporting it to the front desk.

If you are looking for a party, this is NOT your resort. If you're looking for peace and quiet - you've found the right place. We would not hesitate to return to Dreams.

27  Thank Bren4770
California
Reviewed August 31, 2005

Overall this resort is pretty amazing, our first Impression was WOW! how beautiful, and the service overall was great, what we loved about this resort is almost every restaurant & pool and room has an ocean view, the food is good, not great but what all-inclusive resort food is great? The activities were overall pretty good, we had a great snorkeling trip booked through the resort full day going to Yelapa, that is a must do. For the money this is an awesome place.

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles
Reviewed August 28, 2005

We stayed at Dreams from August 18th thru 23rd. Overall we had a very relaxing vacation, just what we hoped for. I've read all the reviews before we went and were a little skeptical about this hotel. From the moment we arrived up until check-out we had no major complaints and GREAT service at all times. A few things to mention:

1. Hotel is old and it shows. We stayed in a Deluxe room, furniture is old, beds are very firm, but overall our room was OK - CLEAN. Besides, we didn't spend a lot of time in the room anyways. Maid service is very prompt. We would leave the room around 10 am every morning and come back around 5 pm and the room was clean and our mini-bar was restocked. We also called a couple of times to get extra bottles of water and the service was very quick. We tipped $1 for room service and a mini-bar every day, so I'm not sure if that made a difference to the service we received.
BOTTOM LINE: if you need excellent accommodations, this hotel IS NOT FOR YOU.

2. I was very concerned about the weather, as it's a rainy season. But the weather surpassed my expectations: I love sun and I got plenty of it!!! It rained almost every evening/ night, but it was a much needed rain to relieve the heat. It's also very humid, day and night.

3. Pools.... I wasn't impressed with the pools. They are OK, but the pool chairs at the main pool are very old. We chose to go to the beach, where you can lay down under one of many cabanas or just enjoy the sun (bring sun block!!). We had no troubles finding chairs around 10-11 am, that was nice. It was also very quiet, not many kids and we saw none at the beach.

4. Hotel didn't seem to be very kid friendly. It didn't look like kids would have a lot to do there. I would recommend this hotel for couples without kids, families with teenagers, large groups or somebody who just wants to get away and relax.

5. Food was good. This was my first trip to an all-inclusive resort, but my friend has gone to some other all-inclusive resorts in Cancun and she was quite pleased with the food.

6. LOCATION IS AWESOME. Hotel is located on a private beach and sunsets are amazing.

7. Entertainment: NONE. Be ready to entertain yourself, or just take a cab to town ($4 ride each way).

8. SERVISE is excellent. Bring some $1 bills and even though tips are included in the all-inclusive deal, we tipped everywhere as service could not be any better! You will not need pesos, $$ accepted everywhere.

9. Try Deep tissue massage - AWESOME ($70 for 50 min)! Manicure and pedicure is a little overpriced ($20 and $25 respectively, and even more for French).

10. Overall we had an excellent vacation for the price we paid (we booked thru Hotwire and paid $1322 including airfare from LA; and that's total, not per person; awesome deal!)

I hope some of you will find this review helpful and enjoy your vacation at Dreams!

22  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New Jersey
Reviewed August 28, 2005

I just returned from a one week vacation to Dreams in Puerto Vallarta. I have been traveling to Vallarta for fifteen years and have always stayed at the Camino Real. When I had the chance to go again this past week August 20-27 I said "what the heck lets try it as Dreams" Where do I even start this review?

I stayed in the "old towers" I think this hotel leads you to believe the entire hotel has been renovated. I think not. The first room they gave me was horrible. Smelt of mold, couch was worn and had holes in it...stay out of room 1509. I went to the front desk and they said they would upgrade me the next day when a room became available. I said sure I can hang for a night. They did switch my room the next day but did not upgrade, for what I was paying ( a travel agent rate) I didnt care as long as the room was cleaner and neater. I get to my new room and I had no towels and wash clothes so very politely I asked the housekeeper who was in the hall by the next room for some towels and wash clothes....I have no idea what the problem was but she threw the stuff at me and rolled her eyes and pushed her cart to the next room. I figured she was in a bad mood so I moved on. I kept leaving her notes and money every day for towels since she would take the ones from the day and never replace them at night and leave me with no towels. Did I get one towel or wash cloth's out of the deal? If you guessed no then you are right. I finally had to seek out the General Manager of the hotel after the 4th day and tell him what was happening. Finally after 4 days I got 1 towel and 1 wash cloth for 2 people. I guess I made progress at that point.

Dining: We ate in all the restaurants and I have to admit the food was pretty decent. Portions are small yes but again if you ask for extra they will give it to you. One bad experience was in Portofino....I was dining with another couple one night and she asked if she could smoke...the waiter very abrubtly said no in a very loud voice that the entire restaurant just went quiet for a few seconds. OK no problem the lady said sure I understand....he asked to take our order and we decided to do appetizers first then order dinner after we ate appetizers. Again the waiter very loudly said "no you must order all your food now I am busy and dont have time" I dont think he was busy the restaurant was only 1/2 full and it was late so I was thinking he wanted to get out as soon as possible to end his work day.
Ok so we order all our food dessert also just because the guy is "busy" What happens next you ask? If you guessed we got ALL our food including dessert brought to our table at one time you are correct.

At this point I had enough I went to the Manager Carlos and complained of the nasty attitude. As we were eating dinner never once did the waiter come to the table to refresh our wine or ask if everything was ok.

As we were eating we saw one of the waiter's making Spanish coffee at the next table and what a show it was....it looked so nice we decided that we wanted Spanish coffee also for our table. As our waiter was ignoring us as he walked by my friend called out his name and asked when he had a minute to please come over to see us...he said "why so you can complain again about me" I shook my head and said no we wanted to order Spanish coffee also...his reply "I dont have time to make 4 coffee's if you want one you have to pay me 25.00" I swear I am not making this up lol.....Again we called Carlos over and told him about the additional comments...he asked the waiter to make us a coffee each. What does he do? He gets 4 coffee cups pours coffee and walks away. At this point we left the restaurant, having a bad work day is one thing being completely rude is another. The General Manager did send a note to apologize to us over the "misunderstanding" and assured us the waiter would get additional training...I dont think it's going to help.

The location and grounds: What can I say...it's still the best with the private beach and the floral and fuana is fantastic....yes the grounds keepers do work hard and it shows in their pride.

Bars: Nice atmosphere and alot of premium brand variety's I was pleasantly surprised. The bar by the infinity pool was tended by Crispin a 10 year employee who works hard for his money. We had a lot of fun catching up and comparing the Camino Days vs the Dreams concept.

Would I go back to Dreams? Only at my travel agent rate....I cannot see paying 398.00 U.S. dollars a night in the old towers with the alledged renovated rooms and the service is not worth the 398.00 Would I recommend sending clients? No I would rather send them to Nuevo Vallarta and the Four Seasons and not risk losing business over bad attitudes from a select few who hate their jobs.

I will always promote Vallarta because of the wonderful location but never Dreams unless a client insisted on staying there...The old days of the great service from all employee's is gone forever and for that I shed a little tear of nostalgia.

16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member