“A beautiful resort but lots of issues with rooms and check-in”

Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #12 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Texas
“A beautiful resort but lots of issues with rooms and check-in”
Reviewed July 1, 2009

I was at Dreams PV for my wedding and honeymoon. WE had a group of 19 people there and were extremely disappointed at check-in. We booked our trip through MLT/ Worry Free vacations and have never had a problem in the past. We all arrived on June 19th at approximately 6pm and it took some of my guest up to three hours to check in. I was so upset and disappointed because our family and friends were there for our wedding and it should not of taken that long to check in and our wedding was the next day so it was a very stressful start to my vacation/ wedding. 15 people in my group had all paid to have jacuzzi suite hotel rooms in the new tower. When we went to check in they did not have any suites available. I was extremely upset and they found me a suite without a jacuzzi since I was the bride but all of my guest were put in the old tower in an old room and that is NOT what they had paid for. The next day all the guest were moved to the new tower but it took alot of time out of their day having to re-pack their luggage and then they had to wait around for the luggage to arrive in their room. No one could just "relax" b/c they were having to wait around for luggage and switch rooms, etc... I never got my jacuzzi suite I paid for. I was moved to a dream suite after 3 days but it was in the old tower and yes it was very big but I was not at all impressed. It had a private pool that was dirty and very small. The room was older and it was nothing compared to the rooms in the new tower. I don't understand why they could not of put me in the jacuzzi suite I paid for or the dream suite in the new tower. Also, my fiance was suppossed to have his own room the night before the wedding and that didn't happen. We were suppossed to have a honeymoon package with champagne and fruit in our room each night and that NEVER happened and were also promised late check out but on the day we were leaving they called us at 12:15 and told us we could not have late check out and if we wanted late check out we would have to pay $59.
I do have some positives about the resort!! First of all all of the waitstaff, bartenders, etc.. were amazing and always went above and beyond. William is awesome so if you go there you have to meet William. I had a gorgeous wedding. The wedding coordinator (Rebecca Gonzales) is awesome and she really went above and beyond and made sure I had an awesome wedding. The staff took pictures and they were gorgeous pictures and they let me buy the cd for a very reasonable price. The flowers for my wedding were so beautiful. I was very impressed with Rebecca and she made my wedding amazing.
The food at this resort is awesome. Portofino and Oceana are the best. I ate the chicken dish at Portofino 2 nights and it was awesome. I had steak at the Oceana and was very impressed. The room service is good/ breakfast is the best. The World Cafe (buffet) is really good. The ice cream is so yummy so get that if you go. I usually am not impressed with resort buffets but this one is better than most. I was not all that impressed with Seaside grill but the view is so beautiful so its worth going there for that purpose. We ate the food provided on 2 different theme nights: Mexican night and Latin night and the food was great. Drinks were great! They do have top shelf liquor so just ask for it. And whats really nice is no one got sick!!!
Also, the beach is amazing. We did not really have any problems finding chairs to lay out and the infinity pool is small but its nice. :)
I don't know if I would recommend this resort to a friend. I would love to go back but I am very hesitant since we had SOOOO many issues with check in and with the rooms. If I go back it will be for the beach and the food.

• Stayed June 2009
7 Thank Beachgirl098

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,574)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Phoenix, Az
Reviewed June 25, 2009

We stayed at this resort from June 12th through the 20th. We booked our package through CheapCaribbean.com. I will break the report into sections, for easier reading. This was our second trip to PV, the first being about twelve years ago. We have been to all inclusives all through Mexico and the Caribbean.

FLIGHT: We flew US Airways, non-stop from Phoenix to Puerto Vallarta. Both flights left on time and arrived early with no issues. This was a pleasant surprise.

TRANSFERS: Our transfers were handled by Olympus Tours. After making our way through the timeshare maize, we were immediately met by a representative and put in a cab for the trip to Dreams. For the return trip, we did have some issues. Our representative at the hotel met us as we arrived and introduced himself to us. He asked us to stop by in a day or so to make the return arrangements. We made four attempts to get those arrangements made. Twice, he was not there when he was supposed to be, and the other times he wouldn’t give us an exact time. He kept asking us to come back, which in my opinion is unacceptable. When one is on vacation, he should not be expected to continually check on things like this. I finally had to ask the hotel concierge to help me call the company, in order to get the pick up time. However, once that was arranged, we were picked up on time for our return flight.

CHECK-IN: We did not receive any champagne. The check-in was smooth. I had requested a king sized bed in a room with a balcony and both requests were honored. We were quickly taken to our room by a very pleasant bellman. As others have mentioned, the $200 in resort credits did have to be asked for, they were not offered, and this took extra time, while the check-in person filled them out. This really should be done in advance, in order to not inconvenience the guests. I will provide more details later on the issues we had with using them.

ROOMS: We were in the original tower and saw no reason to upgrade to the preferred tower. The room was perfectly fine. There was a TV, DVD Player, hair dryer, mini fridge, and coffeemaker. The air conditioning worked quite well, although we were disappointed that there was no ceiling fan. The first few days we had issues with the fridge being restocked and not getting washcloths. However, a quick discussion with the Concierge solved that problem. One problem we never were able to get resolved was getting regular coffee. They would either not leave any at all or leave decaf. We tried several times to get this resolved and then gave up. We could get coffee in the World Café anyway, so it wasn’t a big deal. We were not offered a pillow menu, but the pillows were fine. The maid service was excellent, with cleaning completed by 10 most days. The bathrooms were fine, plenty of hot water and good water pressure. The turn-down services was sporadic-if we weren’t in the room, it was fine, however, several days they came at about 5 pm and just handed the mint to us, along with towels. We were not impressed; if something is advertised then it should be delivered.

RESTAURANTS/BARS:
We ate at all the restaurants. Our favorite was Oceana, followed by Portofino. We ate at both of those restaurants twice. We ate at Mi Patio once and at the Seaside Grill once for dinner and twice for lunch. We attended both the Mexican Fiesta and the Latin night. The food at all restaurants was above average. We had breakfast at the World Café most mornings, and found the selection to be very diverse and acceptable. We had breakfast at Oceana one morning. We did not use room service, but heard that it was very good. We had lunch at the beach grill one day, it was mediocre. They had hamburgers, hot dogs, and chipotle chicken. Our favorite bar was Rendezvous, where we had drinks before and after dinner, most nights. Jose and Luisa were a pleasure, and we enjoyed chatting with the other guests. The service at both the pool bar and the adult pool bar was normally fast and the drinks were good. We were never able to find the other bar advertised, and it was closed most of the time we were there. It would be great if they would have some sort of lobby bar that is open all day and night, this is something lacking at Dreams.

SERVICE: Service at all restaurants and bars was exceptional. The waiters and bartenders seem to really enjoy their jobs, whether tipped or not. The beach service was sporadic, however, that has been our experience with other resorts we have been to. Some days it was excellent, other days we hardly saw anyone. No worries, it was never a long walk to get a drink.

POOLS/BEACH: We are beach people, not pool people and so we spent most of our time on the beach. There were always plenty of palapas available, no matter what time we went. The beach was beautiful and we were not overly bothered by vendors. It was rather disconcerting having to swim with the rays, so we didn’t spend as much time in the water as we usually do. We never went in the main pool, but it always seemed to have something going on and was kept very clean. The Adult Pool only had a small number of chairs, so it was difficult to get one unless you were there very early. The Jacuzzi at the adult pool was nice and hot, which is unusual for most resorts and much appreciated. The infinity pool was beautiful. The quiet pool never had many people around it. Unfortunately, the Jacuzzi there was closed most days for some reason. As others have stated before, the floats/boogie boards have seen better days and should be replaced. One note: the bathrooms at both the beach and the pools were kept immaculate, which we were very impressed with. Kudos!

ACTIVITIES: There were numerous activities at the resort and the staff was very good about trying to get people involved, but was not pushy about it. I did take the stretch class they offered and it was nice. We enjoyed the Latin night with the Cuban Band as well as the Fiesta with the mariachis and dancers. Although we don’t have young children, the club for them seemed to be a great deal for Mom and Dad to have some quality alone time. We did not use the gym, but it appeared to have plenty of machine and weights.

SPA: My husband had a massage, which he said was very good. The Spa Services were overpriced, in our opinion. I had scheduled a couple of services that I cancelled because of issues with the resort coupons.

GROUNDS: Beautiful grounds with lush plants and flowers. Always someone working on them. Beach kept very clean, which was a struggle with all the evening storms that we had while there.

SUMMARY: We had a very good time at this resort. I would consider this a 3 ½ 4 star hotel. The hotel gets points for service, food, drinks, cleanliness, and value. A note on the $200 resort credit: As far as we were concerned, the coupons were useless. After asking for the credits at check-in, we were given the following: two coupons for $20 each, to be used for bottles of wine at the restaurants. We were able to take advantage of those and got a bottle two nights in a row, of wine that we could get in the US for $10 or less. No matter to us as long as we didn’t have to pay any extra. We received a coupon for $40 and a coupon for $20, to be used for a “romantic dinner”. Since the romantic dinners began at $200, we did not use them. Even with lobster, there is no way a dinner would be worth an extra $140 since the food comes from the same restaurants that everyone eats at. We received two coupons for $40 each and one for $20, which could be used at the spa for services. As they could not be put together and had to be for separate services we scheduled a 25 minute massage, price $75, so $35 still due, a manicure, priced at $38, and an eyebrow wax priced at $22, net due, $2. When I arrived at the spa for my services, I was informed that the coupons could not be used for those services. This was never told to us when we received the coupons and is a very poor policy. I cancelled and walked out. As far as we are concerned, this was very poor. If the resort isn’t going to give you a real credit, then they should not advertise it as a benefit. In my opinion, this was simply a way to try to grab additional money from the guests. The resort was only perhaps 50% occupancy while we were there; I’m not sure what it would be like at full occupancy. We would probably consider going back if the price was right. Feel free to contact me with any questions you might have.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank nibs
Northern California
Reviewed June 25, 2009

Let me preface this by saying we go on several different kinds of vacations - the kind where you see the world in 30 days, the kind where you spend 2 days working and 1 day seeing family, the kind where you are just really there to indulge your kids, and this one - the kind where you really, truly, just want to relax and enjoy yourself. While Dreams would not be my choice for an exploring "let's learn about what life is really like in Mexico" vacation - it was the perfect choice for our "we really need to de-stress" vacation.

Dreams is what it says it is - a Mexican true all-inclusive. As such, you can count on the following:
- solid, friendly service (everything is not a yes, but all of our reasonable and a few unreasonable requests made in a polite manner were honored happily)
- a lot of English speaking employees (but a few who don't, it is nice to try a little Spanish)
- some meals likely as buffets (works for us, some people hate them on principle)
- cheesy but well intentioned theme nights (if you are in the mood for it to be fun it will be, if you are in the mood to be let down you also will be)
- some American guest screaming at the staff in English, usually about something really stupid (If you are unhappy, register a complaint politely and move on. If you're really unhappy, check out and send a letter to the management. If you're drunk and unhappy, go sleep it off. Don't scream at the hostess and ruin my meal/drink/show/activity, it's not going to help anything)
- at least one wild taxi ride
- if you go in or around rainy season, it will rain sometimes!

On to Dreams specifically. It was perfect for a leave the kids with the grandparents, no stress, no worries, vacation.

The location is excellent with the secluded beach and a natural rock formation on the end for the rock climbing activity which we enjoyed. The sound of the waves was soothing. We had no trouble ever finding chairs on the beach. It was close enough to town to go to the Malecon in a quick cab ride.

The food was better than expected at all the restaurants except the buffet, which was as expected and good enough. Portofino was our favorite for atmosphere, Oceana the best for the food. I have a very touchy stomach and had not a hint of sickness, and after the first couple of days ate just about everything.

The activities were available throughout the day if you wanted to participate. Books for borrowing were by the pool. The TV reception got a little fuzzy at times during storms but I'd rather not have had a TV anyway!

The only thing we did outside the resort was shop and walk at the Malecon, I highly recommend it for a pleasant way to spend an afternoon.

The gym equipment could use a little updating/maintenance as some of the universal weight stuff was a bit sticky, but the gym was usable for a decent workout.

The weddings we saw looked lovely, the brides were beautiful and the ocean and beach are a wonderful backdrop. The families we met who were there as a large group all seemed happy.

It's a nice place to go to leave your worries at home.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Amy_home
Sonora, California
Reviewed June 24, 2009

We stayed at Dreams Puerto Vallarta from 6/15/09 to 6/22/09. We stayed at Dreams Tulum previously and this resort is consistent with the Dreams quality.

Room: We stayed in the Dreams Tower, the older tower. The rooms were clean and pretty quiet, but not 4 star (maybe 3 star). But we weren't in the room much anyway. The newer Preferred tower was nicer, with its own lobby and concierge. We peeked at a room and it was definitely nicer. But we didn't want to spend the extra money to upgrade. The housekeeping staff was very efficient (don't forget to leave a tip daily, they don't make much in salary). In our first room, the beds were rock hard and the pillows worse. We asked to change the next day and got one of the few rooms in this tower with a balcony, and the beds seemed newer and a bit more comfy. The mini fridge is stocked daily with water, soda and beer. This is the only place you can get bottled water, so if you need more, just ask. Even though we were on a no-smoking floor, that didn't seem to matter to the people next door. Maybe next time we'll try the newer tower.

Grounds: The grounds are very well maintained, and very nice. The crew really works hard. There is even someone cleaning up the seaweed on the beach and raking the areas around the palapas! Speaking of the palapas, there are plenty! No need to get up at 7 am to stake them out! The fact that the resort is in its own cove is great, the beach doesn't have a bunch of vendors always bugging you. They do allow some vendors, though, but it was the same people every day. One told me they only allow a few licenses to sell. They don't pester you too much, just be polite when you say "no gracias". I felt like I had to get a few things though, since the town is definitely feeling the effects of the bad economy, etc.

Pools: Maybe the only small downside. The main pool is not too big compared to the newer resorts, and there are limited pool chairs. The swim up bar is cool! There is an adult pool also, but since we have kids we didn't go there. Seemed like a party pool.
There is another smaller pool that didn't get much use, probably because it was in a shady spot and the water was cooler. But definitely much quieter. We just hung out at the palapas and went to the pool as needed. There are plenty of activities in the pool area going on all the time, the entertainment staff is awesome!

Restaurants and bars: One word: AWESOME! The food is great, especially the smaller restaurants. We loved going to the Oceana for breakfast, it was quiet, on the beach and great service! The buffet was just too loud for me. We ate there one morning and the food was good, but the Oceana was better. We did hit the buffet for lunch, and the selection was very good and many items were prepared right there. The Seaside restaurant also served lunch, and it was great. DO NOT miss the Portofino restaurant (adults only and dressier) for dinner. The food and service is wonderful and the ambiance was nice. Overall, I had no complaints about the food at all. There are plenty of bars, and they will use the good stuff if you ask!! I had fun just asking the bartenders to make me their favorite drink!

So in conclusion, we would definitely go back! I might try the newer Dreams in Nuevo Vallarta, too. You are only a four buck cab ride to downtown from this resort, which is nice. This is a nice comfy resort, and the fact it's not too big was a plus, we never felt crowded here. A note about tipping: We took $100 in one dollar bills and that really helped. I tipped a few bucks at breakfast and lunch, and maybe five at dinner. A buck or two to the guys bringing drinks at the pool and beach is appreciated and they'll come back! The staff here just really works hard, I didn't see many not working hard. Of course, there's always a few rude guests who think they are more important than everyone else and are overall jerks (there was one particular group of about 30 while we were there). Luckily, most people have some manners and are nice. You'll have a great time here!!

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank cwadams317
Oklahoma
Reviewed June 24, 2009

After being a little scared due to the swine flu situation, my wife and I decided not to cancel our honeymoon to Puerto Vallarta. We stayed at this resort for the first time and loved the property!
Our room was decorated after a very romantic dinner on the beach, they placed rose petals all around the bed... it was outstanding.
We paid an up grade for a junior suite in the new tower, the front desk clerk offerted it upon our arrival; we were not that convinced until we saw the room, it is completely remodeled, the beds are brand new, all of them have balconies, they have flat screens! My husband was very exited about that.
The food was excelent and the drinks just refreshing and phonomenal.
We are really sure we will be back next year to repeat this experience, it was an memorable one! Dreams has the best staff ever!!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
6 Thank danrochy
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 21, 2009

I stayed at the Dreams PV Resort the first week of June with my husband and two year old son. I will attempt to divide my review into sections so you can read whatever section interests you:) I would rate the resort a 3 1/2 stars but settled for 4.

Airport: The time share and excursion salespersons are PESTS! Head straight out to any yellow cab. it is about $10 to get to the hotel anyway. We were provided with free and included transport through AMSTAR since we booked a junior suite in the preferred tower. Even they are questionable because they then tell you that you have to report to their desk in the hotel by a certain date and time to schedule your return trip. that is a trap to get to sell you excursions. My husband was quite disappointed when the Amstar driver said he would appreciate a $20 tip! Funny because the entire trip with the yellow cab costs $10! We were so disgusted that we decided to pay our own way back to the airport with a yellow cab instead of the "free" transport provided.

CHECK IN: The front desk for check in is located within the lobby of the preferred towe if you are staying there. If you are entitled to the $200 certificates, keep asking for them because they do not just hand them to you. I had to request them 3 times. As others have mentioned - the gift certificates are broken into segments not to be used at once at the spa or for wine etc..... pretty much useless in the end. We arrived at around 2pm and our junior suite was available. I had read about free snacks etc.. in the preferred tower lobby. They did not have any of that during our entire stay - only iced water and sometimes coffee in the morning.

SUITE: It is very nice. It is not really designed like a suite. The layout is more like a very large room, since the seating area and bed are really a part of the same room. I liked the tiled floor, extravagent bed and OK furniture, however the rug in the seating area was disgustingly dirty. The tile floor was also stained in places. The room was well kept but obviously had dirty people staying in it prior to us, since there was food stuck to the rug! Do not stay in the old tower. It looks pretty dingy.

BATHROOM: Beautiful and modern - jacuzzi tub, stand alone shower and high tech sink. It is obvious that the hotel has spent a lot to attemot to look very sleek and high tech, but the quality of the construction is pretty cheap. It will wear quickly.

AMENITIES: Included - small tube of toothpaste, one toothbrush, SPF 15 4 oz. sun tan lotion, 4oz. shampoo (no conditioner), lotion, bath gel, soaps, shoe polisher pad, (no mouthwash), slippers, robes. We did not need any voltage conversion plugs. Everything was compatible for phone chargers etc........

ROOM REFRIGERATOR: stocked eah day with 4 bottled waters, 4 mini juice boxes, 4 mini Coronita beers, 2 coke lites, 2 regular cokes, fanta and sprite. They would appear in the late afternoon to stock the drinks that you need. You can actually call room service at any tiem and just request more of anything regardless OR leave a note with a tip in the refrigerator for whne they come by.

INTERNET: Free connection for us in our suite which was great with our laptop. There are also computers located in the preferred tower lobby for free access.

TV / DVD / BOOKS - Plasma TV was great with connected DVD player - great for our toddler's DVD's. You can also check out DVDs for free at the main lobby with the concierge. If you have prepaid the vacation, she may want your credit card to have on record in case you lose or damage the DVD's. There are also book cases by the pools with paper backs to borrow while at the pool.

CLOSET SPACE: Very minimal. If you pack a lot or are a family of 4 it may be a problem. it was enough for us.

TODDLER AMENITIES: The pool concierge had floats etc... but no arm bands nor rings or beach toys like some resorts. We had taken them with us. The children's club looked like fun to us with an outdoor playground on the beach, however there were flies swarming all over the place so we avoided it. There is a toddler pool which our little one enjoyed very much. The beach is also quite protected and calm for them to run around. If you have a stroller it is quite a problem b/c there are hardly any pathways that do not have stairs.

RESTAURANTS / SERVICE: In general was very good for an all inclusive resort! Everyone was overly polite and went to great lengths to make us happy. Our toddler loves certain foods and they would go out of their way to make things for him - the room service and the restaurants included. We enjoyed the Seaside Grill and Oceana the most since they were outdoors on the beach. The food and the presentation was fabulous. El Patio was good too - not amazing, but the ambiance and service made up for it. They have tequilla tasting right at the front door at El Patio! The poolside restaurant that serves breakfast and lunch buffets was mediocre. The food had just sat out there for a long time and was like cafeteria food, however the variety is huge. Theer is something for everyone. We liked the fresh taquito bar. I did not chance the sushi. They have little burgers, hotdogs and sandwiches for kids - but they did not look good. The service was wonderful there as well.

TIPS: I had read many reviews suggesting that we take many $1 bills. We took 100 $1 bills and kept tipping a couple dollars each time for food, room service and maid service. They really appreciated it and it went a long way.

SERVICE: We had amazing and friendly service everywhere. We also were lucky sinec the swine flu scare had the hotel at 40% occupancy. We never had to wait for anything anywhere. I would not go to this resort when they are crowded. it would have been an entirely different experience due to crowds in restaurants and at the pools.

POOLS / BEACH: Yes the pools are fairly small, but there are many of them. The pool exercise classes look like loads of fun with loud fun music. The beach was beautiful. The vendors never bothered anyone. We always found a palapas to lounge at. I could not swim in the ocean though beause the manta rays were everywhere! I have experienced them in the Grand Caymand Islands and had training there regarding their tendency to sting, so I could not chance it. That was a problem for me:( The beach is very clean though.

EXCURSIONS - Cannot comment - did not go on any with our toddler around.

GROUNDS - Quite tropical and pretty and clean

SUMMARY: Nice getaway for a couple, family or group event. I would NOT recommend this resort for a honeymoon or wedding or anything that you wish to be memorable. It does not rise to that standard. Some of the vacationers there are obviously there for the free alcohol and food, so you tend to see many people who hoard greedily and loudly over the food and drinks if you get my drift (some drink as early as 10am!) The weddings that we saw wre classless and really cheap. This is not an upscale resort by any means. It is simply an inexpensive and convenient getaway.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank LetsPack!
San Francisco
Reviewed June 21, 2009

We loved Dreams Puerto Vallarta and will return. The rooms were nice (I don't understand why other reviews said they were shabby) - ours was nice and we were in the old tower. We did tour the new tour and the rooms there were very very nice - but we were happy with ours. We loved the ocean view. Service was wonderful. And a lot of variety for food choics with several great restaurants and a buffet restuarants. Beach is very nice. Grounds are very peaceful and lovely. Nice evening entertainment. I enjoyed the spa too. There wasn't anything that I felt could be better. It was easy to get into town via cab but we only went into town once as it was so nice at the resort we didn't want to leave.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple