“Disappointed”

West Farmington
“Disappointed”
Reviewed January 30, 2005

January 31, 2005

I returned from Dreams in Puerto Vallarta January 28, 2005. Before choosing Dreams I did a lot of research on this resort, and I knew of the construction and personnel problems brought on by the change from Camino Real to Dreams. With this in mind, and the reputation of Dreams Resorts, not to mention the good reviews on Trip Advisor, I chose Dreams. I would like to offer the following comments.
I found the rooms to be adequate, the grounds beautiful, and the food outstanding. The restaurants were wonderful in decor, and atmosphere. The rest is going to be negative.
I have stayed at Riu, Iberostars, And Barcelos in Mexico and they have met or exceeded my expectations. Dreams has failed!! I will start with the lobby, the focal point for any hotel. It is the meeting place for people checking in, meeting friends for excursions, or just relaxing before dinner or lunch. This means the lobby bar should be open at noon or before, not 5pm. It should have some type of entertainment at night. This is the only place in the resort that has consistent good service and drinks.
The pool swim up bar. Bartenders may put alcohol in your drink or they may not. I caught them four times not doing it. The bartenders will not recognize you if there are waiters waiting on drinks, or if they are washing glasses, or if they do not want to. If you order a Daiquiri they will pour the rum in the glass and dispense the frozen mix on top, throw a straw in and not mix it. That first sip is a killer. I had to reach across the bar for a spoon and mix it myself and then I got dirty looks. If you are on the swim up side they seem like they really do not want to wait on you. The waiters at pool side are just as unfriendly, and act like they are doing you a favor, whether you tip them or not. My wife went through $100 in tips the first 4 days. After that we did not tip anymore because of the poor service. The waiters in restaurants and bars are not happy or personable. I observed managers arguing with waiters., and I even observed a bartender arguing with a guest that the brand of alcohol she asked for was not available when the bottle was half full right on the bar.
As for entertainment, there is very little. The Mexican Fiesta has high school dancers on a make shift dance floor that I thought would fall apart because it was bouncing up and down. It was too small for the routines they were doing and it was very uneven. At one point I thought it would collapse. Salsa Night was held on the beach. The band was great, but if you wanted to dance you had to dance on the sand. It should have been held pool side. We could not attend the Barbeque, because we arrived late on Friday and left on Friday. The only other entertainment was Karaoke in the sports bar that was in the basement.
The beach was beautiful, but it was almost impossible to get a waiter for a drink. The new lounge chairs were so uncomfortable that people were taking the cushions off pool loungers for the beach. The only sailboat they had was broken, and had been for quite some time. The sea kayaks were ok. I am a sailor and the sailboats were one of my main criteria for picking this resort.
Maid service was sporadic. No personal touches from the maid like towel sculptures or notes, just an occasional flower in the bath or on the bed. Twice they took the towels and did not replace them. We only got face cloths about every other day. Since over half of the rooms on my floor were under construction and had no doors, I was compelled to take towels and face cloths out of the empty rooms. My room just had the door put on before we got there, and the lockset haphazardly put on. It was so flimsy that one good push and the door would have splintered and opened. I had to stuff a plastic bag in the area around the lockset so one could not see in the room through the door. The resort does not have phone numbers listed anywhere in the room. This is supposed to be taken care of by using buttons on the phone for room service, bellman, etc. These buttons did not work on my phone. I reported it, and it never got fixed.
I paid for a late check out for 4pm. When I went to get something to eat they told me I would have to pay for it, because I was out of the computer. This was embarrassing. I ended up not paying, but it made me very uncomfortable. On the trip to the airport, I found out that the front desk returned the credit card slips to everyone else. They never gave me mine, so I do not know if I had any other charges other than the $50 dollar late check out charge.
I was never so glad to get on a bus and leave this resort. This has been one of the biggest wastes of money I have ever made. This resort should be at best a 3 apple until the management corrects these problems. A guest should feel pampered not abused.

• Stayed January 2005
21 Thank Douglas P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,545)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
mississippi
Reviewed January 28, 2005

Returned on Jan 25th after enjoying 8 days at Dreams.All construction was complete except for the occasional minor touch ups.The spa is complete,my husband was pleased with the massage he received.I had planned to stay at the El Presidente,which I also reccomend,but had to move the dates of my trip back by a week and was unable to get a room for the entire time at the EP.I had read many bad reviews about the construction,plus I was not interested in AI.I guess lots of other travelers were apprehensive as well,because I was able to get a deluxe suite in the new tower with hardly any advance notice.The hotel offered an additional discount to my travel agent that did not show up when I checked with Expedia.I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food,especially at breakfast and lunch.The same restaurants,two for breakfast and two for lunch were always open.plus poolside service in an area adjoining the pool.Evening venues rotated with at least 3 differntrestaurants open-none of which are buffet,except on the Mexican theme night and the Carribean theme night.I sayed at the old Camino Real last year and was expecting an entirely different level of service.New pool area,plus improvements to the old pool,even more lush landscaping than before,all room are ocean front-all in the newer tower have large balconeys,some rooms in the older tower have them also.There is a new bar close to the new pool area.I had a wonderful time-I almost wonder if a few of the negative posters are from another hotel or something.I know that everyone has a different opinion about accomodations,but I would not ever stay anyplace but on the southside.This was my 9th trip to PV and with the exception of one stay at the Sheraton,have always stayed on the southside.The Sheraton was very nice,it just isn't as nice in my opinion as anything on the southside.The air is cleaner,beaches and water prettier,limited vendors approved by the hotels.Most of the hotels on the southside such as EP and Dreams,LindoMar?,are built on coves that can't be accessed due to rocks except through the front entrance of the resorts.I had no problesms at Dreams with hidden charges,or anything else.Enjoyed some great meals in town,did some interesting tours etc.Enjoy your stay wherever you chooseto be.

15 Thank showhorses
Reviewed January 28, 2005

We stayed at Dreams for a week in January and really had a great time. The hotel location is spectacular! The lush grounds are absolutely beautiful and refreshing & the backdrop of the mountains are breathtaking. Food was good but not great. Seaside restaurant was definitely our favorite with gorgeous views. Our room was in the Club section which had a nice balcony. The beds were definitely hard and the maid service needed more attention but we were still happy. Our mini fridge in room wasn't always re-stocked, but our balcony with a view sure made up for it. The employees were very friendly and wanting to help. Family back home had sent an email to the hotel, and it was promptly hand delivered to our room. Short $4 cab ride to town. We had the feeling of being tucked away but not too far from town. We enjoyed the nightly entertainment, especially the Mexican Fiesta on the beach. One of the downfalls is that there wasn't anything to do after 10 p.m. every night. They did have a sports bar but no one was there and we always wondered where everyone went. We watched a movie on the beach, which was nice. The daily activities were fun, although not to many people participated. I could go on and on about our visit. Even though there were a few hiccups, all in all, I am very satisified with this resort and would go back in a heartbeat. I would say that it may be geared toward an older crowd or honeymooners who seek a relaxed/romantic atmosphere. Hope this helps.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed January 27, 2005

I stayed at this hotel for the 5th time in the last year during the first part of Jan. They have come a long way from when I was last there in September. The Dreams Tower rooms have been redone, they aren't fabulous, the decor is interesting, but they are very large and clean. We did not experience any plumbing problems at all. We had terrific maid service and the room service was outstanding. The new infinity pool is a nice addition since we were last there and the main pool had also undergone some renovation. I also thought the service was very improved from last September. I did notice some problems with the restauraunts. Apparently, they cannot hire enough people so the 2 or 3 waiters in each restauraunt just can't keep up. The truth is, we love the restauraunts in P.V. so we don't eat at the hotel all that much. The bellmen are awesome and we love Karin at the front desk. I still think this is a great hotel. We did experience some unbelievably obnoxious people that were part of a large group at the hotel, and on this last trip. Also on this trip, I had several occassions to be absolutely horrified at how rude some Americans are to people working in this hotel. I just wanted to crawl in a hole and pretend that these people were not from my reality. Its probably a good thing that I don't work at the hotel, I don't think I could continue to gracious and accomodating to people when their behavior is bad. My hat is off to the staff for putting up with "the ugly American" on a daily basis. Hopefully, they experience some us as decent people.

8 Thank Katieinslc
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed January 25, 2005

Thankfully, the hotel is situated about 5 miles south of the busy city section (and masses of tourists) of Puerto Vallarta, and is about a 10-15 minute drive from the airport. It's beach is more or less private because of it's location from within a slight cove to the north, which opens up to the south. Each room has a beautiful view of the Pacific ocean, which makes for some amazing sunsets!!!

There is a variety of faire available at the hotel, including Mexican, Italian, and seafood, from moderate to moderately expensive prices- each with great food and service. The Mexican place in particular has traditional live music, including Mariachi. Muy Bueno!

Anyone who knows Mexico seems to know about this place, which was originally called the Camino Real until recently, and is always pleased to share about their visit. I can recommend it without any hesitation. It's charm and beauty will captivate most anyone who visits.

• Stayed December 2003
7 Thank Shobusun
Reviewed January 21, 2005

My wife and I stayed at this hotel if you call it that. The Beds are VERY bad, and the plumbing is horrible. Our toilett plugged up daily and the beds actually hurt my back. The Beach is beautiful, too bad the hotel was not. The food actually made us sick. But the service was pretty decent, at least they tried. The hotel was remodeled and looks remodeled. Too bad this hotel was not up to its name. I would try the Sheraton, Fiesta Americana or the Krystal, as they are all better hotels (maybe even the Hotel Rosita... just kidding). Also this hotel is VERY expensive for what you get! Stay away and if you go... I told you so is not enough of a warning!

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 19, 2005

My 20 year old daughter and I stayed at Dreams January 5-12. We got an extraordinary last minute deal so we didn't have too many complaints based on our price. However--had I been paying full price I would not have been happy.
The location is probably one of the best in PV. Gorgeous and very private beach. All rooms have oceanviews and sunsets are spectacular.
The service on the other hand is horrible. The first few days the place was not even half full so it didn't seem too bad. As the resort filled up you nearly had to beg to get service. This is not the slow pace--it is due to the fact that most staff quit when Dreams took over. I tip well even at all-inclusives since these people work for next to nothing and work hard--but there is simply not enough help. Also--some nights the food is great and others horrible due to the rotation of the "good" chef. Maid service was dismal also.
Dispite the fact that many feel that the construction is not a problem I found the parking lot full of broken and old furniture unappealing. also the construction workers spend at lot of time standing on the unfinished spa balcony checking out the guests on the beach.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member