“This was Fantastic -”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
DFW
“This was Fantastic -”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2009

We stayed at the resort from 5/16 - 5/23 and it was GREAT. Service was great - room in newer tower was lovely. Pools were nice.
While I kept my eye on other people's reviews, we went with an open mind and were not disappointed at all. The only bad thing I can say is that the shower drain was a bit slow. The waiters really took care of you. Yes, we did tip them and it was because they deserved it! We were never without a drink or food the whole time. The beach was soft and clean.
Everyone I met at the resort agreed that this was a good resort and were having a great time. As far as the "bad" reviews I have read, I don't know where they came from since I didn't hear one person complain about anything while we were there.
Would go again and would definately recommend this to anyone. Not a lot of kids, had quiet places and very rowdy places - you choose which you want.

7 Thank TexasJoan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,499)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2009

My husband and I traveled to Dreams Puerto Vallarta May 18-25, 2009 for our honeymoon. It is a beautiful place! You wouldn't necessarily expect it to be so pretty, given that the cab ride over takes you through some average to run-down areas, but it's gorgeous. We upgraded to a junior suite, which is located in the Preferred tower, which I would HIGHLY recommend. Some of the rooms in the standard Dreams tower do have small balconies, while others don't. Every room in the Preferred tower has a balcony, and they're twice the size of those in the other tower. The room was furnished beautifully, armoire with minibar inside, couch and chairs, and the bathroom had a nice size shower and a separate bathtub. But regardless of where you stay, you will have an ocean view room which is nice.

As far as the food goes, there are a few sit-down restaurants: Oceana (seafood), El Patio (mexican food), Portofino (italian) and Seaside Grill--in addition to the World Cafe, which is a buffet open almost all day and usually for dinner too. I would definitely recommend the sit-down restaurants--Portofino and Seaside Grill were our favorites. You have to have breakfast at Oceana at least once--it's much better than the buffet. The buffet's not bad, but it's not amazing either; they did at least do a good job of mixing up some of the dishes each day so it wasn't the exact same food every single time, day in and day out. But since it's all included anyway, why not eat the good stuff if given the chance? El Patio wasn't bad either but it's VERY authentic--meaning you might recognize 2 or 3 dishes that are on menus at mexican restaurants here in the U.S. and the rest you've probably never heard of before. It's nice that you don't need reservations--as long as the restaurant is open, you just show up whenever you're hungry. Oh, and not all the restaurants are open every day, the sit-down places all close twice a week, and it rotates around. You have to check the newsletter they leave during the turndown service in the evening to know which restaurants will be open the following day and which hours they are open.

Drinks: I think there were about 4 bars located around the property, one of which was only open in the evening. Given the humidity (about 85 percent), it was nice having a bar close by so you could at least walk around with a coke or lemonade in hand. They also refresh the mini-bar in the room every day, so you have your own supply of water and juice and beer in there as well. The alcohol is all included as well, but I noticed at least with my own mixed drinks (strawberry margaritas and whatnot) that they were fairly weak. Would have taken 2 or 3 to have an effect. But hey, if there's no limit and no cost, go for it. The hotel filters all its drinking water so you don't have to be worried about drinking the water on the property.

Atmosphere: Dreams is advertised as a family resort, but we didn't see all that many families there, only a few families with kids. It was overwhelmingly couples, and some groups of adults or groups of singles traveling together. If you're single and looking for a rowdy, upbeat place to meet other singles, this isn't the best place for you. You'd probably want to be closer to the Malecon (boardwalk) downtown where all the people congregate on Saturday night and where all the nightclubs are. Just FYI. And there is a kids club with kids activities every day as well. The beach is considered federal property, so there are some vendors wandering around selling things, but they're pretty polite and if you say no they leave you alone. The beach is nice and clean and the shaded palapas are great, but just keep your eyes out for jellyfish and stingrays if you go in the water (we heard a few horror stories but luckily we were just fine). I will admit it was a little nice being there during the swine flu scare because we almost had the place to ourselves; the hotel was at maybe 1/3 or so of capacity.

Tipping: it's not required of course, but we left a few dollars behind at each of the dinner places we ate at, assuming the service was good (which it almost always was). The waiter circulated out on the beach taking drink orders, and although you didn't have to tip him either, if you threw in a dollar or two I'm sure he would be super attentive to you.

Entertainment: the nightly shows were pretty good. I like the fire show (I think that was on Wednesdays) and my husband liked the Comedy show (on Sundays). Plus, it's a 50 peso/5 dollar cab ride each way to the Malecon/boardwalk if you want to check out the downtown area. You should do that at least once. They also have plenty of tours going on--running about $80 per person per tour, so it can get a little pricey, but probably worth it just for the experience.

All in all, a really good place--given the chance, we would definitely go back.

Calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2009

We decided to go to Dreams from the advice of our travel agent. She swore by this place. So we arranged to have our wedding there. We had friends from Calgary and Vancouver, family from New Brunswick and family from Ontario attending this wedding. In total, 21 people were attending the resort because we were having our wedding there. On the night of April 19th, 16 of us attending Oceana, a restaurant at the resort, received food poisoning. My 87 year old aunt was sick for the rest of her stay in Mexico. She had to be taken in a wheelchair instead of walking like she normally does, to attend my wedding. Myself and my husband were sooo sick during our wedding day that we could barely celebrate. A bride is supposed to be excited for her wedding day. Instead, I was taking gravol and imodium just to get through my make up and hair. 16 of our 21 person wedding party were sick. They were sick for the rest of their stay. We ran into another wedding party and the bride advised her family had the same thing. We also talked to other people around the pool area and they informed us, they too were sick. When we spoke to the Food and Beverage manager, his response was "You must have left the resort". At no time did myself or my husband leave the resort. He then also told us "Maybe it was the tequila". Right... blame it on the booze. Cause my 87 year old Aunt pounds it back. No apology. Nothing. They didn't even care that we were all sick. But they would get us better if we all received a shot from their "doctor" at $100 US a piece.
We could barely get through our wedding meal and I never even got to taste my wedding cake. We were all in bed by 10:00pm on our wedding night. I was sick until April 28th. My husband went to a pharmacy and told them how sick I was. Our honeymoon was not what it should have been. Instead, I was in bed or running for a toilet.
We were also told if we wanted a DJ for our wedding that it would be extra. $600 US for 3 hours!!! So, if you are getting married, do your research first on additional charges cause that's where they get you.
I would recommend anyone coming to this resort that you get your medical shots prior to going. Get everything you can because the resort doesn't care if you are sick or not.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank mrsmarcCalgary
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2009

My husband and I went to Dreams Resort and Spa in PV for his cousin's wedding.
The travel there through GOGO worked well, the rep met us at the airport and got us to the resort efficiently. The service at the hotel was above average at the restaurants/pool side/bars/rooms. The rooms in the preferred tower were much larger and newly remodeled. It's the preferred tower for a reason. We upgraded our room to the new preferred tower and really enjoyed the spacious room and balcony. It's also on the side of the resort with the adult infinity pool and is much quieter.

The private beach is wonderful and the water recreation activities are enough to keep you busy in the ocean.

The best part of the trip was the Swine Flu -- the plane and hotel were empty when we arrived. This made the stay really enjoyable.

The spa was one of the nicest I've been to in a hotel and the treatment was really professional.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
8 Thank surfertp
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2009

We stayed at Dreams PV from May 16-23. Overall we had a wonderful trip and stay at the hotel. Taking advantage of traveling during the current Swine Flue scare is a must if you like a chilled out relaxing vacation with minimal people around.

The hotel had very little occupancy during our stay. At one point I think there were only about 6-8 other groups on the beach with us. We had the north side palapas in front of the old tower all to ourselves, it was wonderful! The waiters and staff at the hotel are very friendly and more than willing to help you out. It seems like they actually enjoy their jobs as opposed to most resorts.

Lobby/Reception: the people at the front desk overall were very friendly. At check-in we requested a free room upgrade as I had contacted the resort before we left and they said this wouldn't be a problem as long as the hotel wasn't full. The tried to tell us they were at full occupancy which was obvious that they were no were near that. They ended up offering us a junior suite in the new tower but it had two double beds so we opted for the balcony room in the old tower. At one point my wife left her retainer somewhere and the staff was able to track it down and return it the same day. Overall the service at the front was pretty standard, nothing amazing but nothing horrible either.

Rooms: (we stayed in 1904) the rooms in the old tower have seen better days for sure, but they are kept really clean and for us it was nothing at all to complain about. The bed was very soft and comfortable and the view from the 9th floor (11 floors total) was amazing. No obstruction at all, just a beautiful view out into Banderas Bay. In the morning we could see Manta Rays playing in the surf as well as Dolphins playing out in the offshore waters. The room itself was a good size. There was a king bed, night tables, a desk and chair as well as sitting chair and coffee table. The mini bar was replenished every day.

Hotel Grounds/Cleanliness: the hotel is kept very, very clean. People are constantly sweeping and mopping walkways. There was never any garbage or dirty cups and such lying around. The staff is continually walking around and picking up empty glasses around the beach and pool. There is lots of plant life every where. Beautiful flowers, huge bamboo, grassy areas and even pineapple and bananas growing in the gardens. The location of the hotel is great. A private property flanked by small rocky cliffs on either side with no other hotels in sight, just private homes.

Beach: the beach is gorgeous. The private beach is only accessible to hotel visitors which we absolutely loved. There are a few beach vendors but they are very polite and are in no way pushy. If you say 'no gracias' they say thank you and continue down the beach. The sand is raked and kept pretty clean. In the morning until around 12-1pm the water is crystal clear, after that the tide picks up and it gets a bit cloudy but it is still quite clear... not murky at all. During our stay the water was very warm. The sand in the water is rock and debris free and feels very good under your feet. We saw plenty of schools of fish swimming around us. Early in the day the Manta Rays like to play in the surf and they come quite close to you which was amazing. I've never seen them that close or in that much detail. They are totally harmless, but some people got really freaked out by them. Keep in mind that at this time of the year the sun rises from behind the mountain/hotel and doesn't fully hit the beach until around 11am. But on the flipside, you can bask in the sun well beyond 6pm and it makes for some amazing sunsets at night.

Restaurants/Food: overall we enjoyed the food at the resort. There were definitely some hits and misses. The morning buffet had a good selection of traditional North American as well as Mexican fare. You could have fresh made omelets as well as eggs prepared any way you like. The buffet at lunch was pretty much the same but only with more lunch based foods. Nothing amazing but it was good and quick which allowed us to get back to the beach. Oceana (seafood) was one of my favorites. The escargot was just as good as any french restaurant I've eaten at and the setting of an open air restaurant on the beach was lovely. El Patio (Mexican) was one of my other favorites. They had a good variety of traditional and non traditional dishes. Seaside Grill was OK, my crab cake was littered with shell bits and my steak was a bit over cooked, but it's location over hanging the beach at the south end made it the best located restaurant. Portofino (Italian) was my least favorite. I guess you can't expect great Italian when in Mexico.

Pool/Bars: the main pool looked OK, but very small for a resort. That didn't matter to us as we don't travel all the way to tropical place with an amazing beach just to hang out at a pool. I still don't understand that one. There was a smaller secondary pool that was in the shade, it didn't seem to get much use. There was also another small adults only infinity pool which got a fair bit of use. I don't think people really cared that it was adults only as we always saw kids in it when we walked by. That's about all I can say about the pools since we never hung out there. It did sound like it was more a spot of action, the beach was very mellow. The pool bar looked like a pool bar, the main lobby bar was a nice place to grab a drink and watch the sun set after dinner. There was also another bar near the adults only pool which we never used and the beach bar and grill were closed the entire time we were there.

All in all we had a fantastic vacation. I would definitely travel to Dreams PV again and would recommend it to friends. My only concern is what the hotel would feel like if it was at full capacity. I think that if we do come back we'll go around the end of May beginning of June during the slow season so it's not very busy. If you hate the mega fabricated resorts such as Riu and Barcelo like we do I think that Dreams PV would be something you might like. With only 337 rooms and good sized beach and property I don't think it would ever feel over crowded. If you're more the person who likes to have loud music blaring, get hammerd at the pool while trying to balance a tequila bottle on your head and then go hang out at the hotel disco until 3am, this isn't the resort for you.

13 Thank pomotraveler
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Dreams from 05/15-05/22. We chose Dreams due to the value and the location. This is not a luxury hotel by my standards but it did have good service. My only complaints on the service were 1) Upon check-in we had to ask for the coupons that were due us for spa services She told us to come back in the morning and when we did they still didn't have them so we had to wait while she finished something else up to write them up and 2) We had left our safe open on day so the maid/security closes it and then we need to be present when security opens it. We made an 11 appointment for them to come by and after 3 phone calls while we waited he finally arrived at 12. I didn't come to PV to hang out in my room waiting for someone to arrive an hour late..

We stayed in the "old tower" on the 4th floor. The room was , well, old. It seemed everything was painted over several times. The bed was very firm - I longed for a dream bed. One night we awoke (screamed and ran!) to find a rather large bug in the bed with us. The bathroom again was old. My husband and I are both 6 feet tall and the shower head was rather low. We had to tilt it up and water ended up running on the edge of the tub and basically flooding the floor. One elevator did not work and the one that did would stop on a floor wether up or down was pressed so we almost always got on at 4, went up to the top and then came back down.

The food was what we expected. We had breakfast each day at World Cafe and is was a mediocre buffet. We had lunch at Seaside Grill that had burgers, grillef fish, fajitas, etc. Nothing outstanding there but when you're at the pool or beach all day you just want something quick. We had dinner at Seaside, Oceana, and Portofino. Again, every meal was just ok, nothing great. We ate oustide the resort the other nights.

Drinks at the beach/pool were very good and the waiters would also recommend someting for us to try when asked.

When booking this vacation (which we did before the swine flu outbreak) we were just looking for a cheap vacation at a decent place. That's exactly what we got, a hotel with a nice beach in a good location. Nothing luxury about this place. It was rather sad how slow it was, we were sure to tip the service staff since I'm sure they were hurting...lower occupancy = lower tips overall.

2 Thank Chicagotoanywhere
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2009

We landed in Puerto Vallarta the day the Swine Flu outbreak hit the news, so we were a bit nervous but had a fantastic trip and were incredibly pleased with Dreams.

We took a quick cab ride from the airport to the hotel - about 20 minutes. The cab driver drove us through the downtown area, by the boardwalk, "Zona Romantica," showed us some of the nice restaurants, etc, so that was good to see. Unfortunately because of the Swine Flu outbreak, everything in town was closed the entire week we were there, but because the resort is so great we didn't feel like we missed out.

The hotel is absolutely beautiful - we were upgraded to a corner room in the old tower, with an amazing balcony and a gorgeous view of the entire pool, beach area and ocean. The mini fridge was always stocked with "Coronitas" (mini Coronas), bottled water, Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite and juices. The rooms are great - nice amenities included with large sized shampoos, lotion, etc.

The beach/pool scene was very relaxed while we were there - the entertainment staff gears more toward the kids, so there isn't as much going on (some Mexico resorts are non-stop pool action), but definitely a fun atmosphere around the swim up bar at the main pool. The adult pool has great padded lounge chairs if you like a quieter scene. The bar service by the adult pool is great too since it's much smaller.

The food is amazing - both "open air" restaurants, Oceana and Seaside grill, are excellent. We had filet, NY strip steak, prawns, fresh fish, homemade soups, fresh salads, and delicious desserts each night. The Italian restaurant Portofino was great too, but we preferred to sit outside so we ended up at Oceana and Seaside Grill for most of our meals. Oceana is great for breakfast too, as they offer a full breakfast menu, lattes, cappucinos, etc. The 24 hour room service is awesome too. They have a large menu and almost always came within 20 minutes. They come into the room and set it up for you as well. We had a lot of great "happy hours" on our balcony with room service snacks and coronitas.

The shows were nothing fancy. The comedy show while we were there was in a large conference room in the new tower and consisted of a man dressed as a mime doing bizarre balloon tricks. The Rock 'n' Roll beach party was fun though!

We also went on a ziplining tour we booked through the hotel - we talked them down to $50/pp (US) and that included three bottles of tequila (the listed price was $80 pp). The ziplines are great and a fun activity anybody could do.

All in all, we had a great stay, had a week of relaxing beach and pool time, great food and drinks and great company! I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Couple Notes:
- The mini fridge is stocked daily, and we made sure to leave a couple dollars in the fridge a couple times, which resulted in extras! If you want extra bottled water, they don't really have it around the pool/beach area (they bring you water in a glass if you ask), but if you call room service, they can deliver extra bottles to your room.
- There is a great little bar we didn't discover until partway through the trip next to Oceana and they set out beanbag chairs at night under the palapa umbrellas. That was a nice mellow spot and hardly anyone there so great service!
- We tipped quite a bit, and even though the staff works very hard we didn't notice a difference in service from tipping. The hotel says the price of the stay includes gratuity so I don't think the staff expect it.
- When we were there, "Desires" (the Sports Bar/Disco) was dead. Nobody ever went. The entertainment staff usually would meet in the lobby at 10 p.m. and take people out to a local nightclub in town. They didn't do this while we were there, since all the clubs were closed for Swine Flu, but that would have been a good option for those who are looking for nightlife.

Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple